New Topic Respond to this Topic
ThoseSneakyFrench
ThoseSneakyFrench
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Stop buying computers! 2009-07-29 21:18:54 Reply

I'd like to mention that I don't want this to be a thread where people ask specific hardware questions for their build. There are more appropriate places to do that, which are in my OP. This thread should be about inquiring where you can go or how you can start learning to make your own custom rig. People shouldn't be asking, "This graphics card or that?" here, because that's not the purpose of this.

At 7/29/09 08:41 PM, Ismael92 wrote: Thanks for the thread, interesting reading. I think that in most cases, people who have never tried buying the different parts and putting them together by themselves are afraid of failing. Even if things may be easier than they seem, things can always go wrong. You may break or fuck up something if you don't know how to do it. I think that the best thing these people can do is get an experienced friend to help them to assemble it.

This is absolutely true. I myself had the help of my father's friend for my first build, and though I could've done it on my own, it was nice having someone with experience over my shoulder. Even if someone reading this thread finds a tech-savvy guy to build something from them instead of a store-bought, I'll call it mission accomplished. The main point of this thread is Custom rig > Dell.

Hell, I'd build and ship computers across the conUS if people asked me too. But shameless plugs aside, for someone who's trying to make a few bucks building computers for people, it's tougher than you think. Word of mouth spreads like wildfire, but in the grand scheme of things, most people are completely oblivious to the points I've brought up about custom systems.

At 7/29/09 09:01 PM, Bolo wrote: I trol u

Okay, wasting money on misinformed decisions is a good thing, and giving honest advice is bad. Wait a second, since when were my walls made of cheese?

citricsquid
citricsquid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Stop buying computers! 2009-07-29 21:23:20 Reply

At 7/29/09 09:18 PM, ThoseSneakyFrench wrote: The main point of this thread is Custom rig > Dell.

Everything you've said I agree with besides this. It depends entirely on the person, while the majority of people reading this it will apply to, there are people that it doesn't. I just feel you should have made it more clear, not trying to bash what you've said but I really dislike that, but I guess it's apparent enough from the amount of crap I've posted :D

It would be great if you started up a "club" for this TSF, somewhere people can go for general advice and comptability questions, my main problem with building a PC was finding suitable components and I think this affects most people.

ThoseSneakyFrench
ThoseSneakyFrench
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Stop buying computers! 2009-07-29 21:28:12 Reply

At 7/29/09 09:23 PM, citricsquid wrote: It would be great if you started up a "club" for this TSF, somewhere people can go for general advice and comptability questions, my main problem with building a PC was finding suitable components and I think this affects most people.

Are you being sarcastic or have you genuinely never looked at my sig?

citricsquid
citricsquid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Stop buying computers! 2009-07-29 21:31:00 Reply

At 7/29/09 09:28 PM, ThoseSneakyFrench wrote: Are you being sarcastic or have you genuinely never looked at my sig?

I checked it out a few times, it seemed like a circle jerk of "my pc is awesome, look at this graphics card, it killed 10 seals all at once!" though :P Maybe I should read more.

JKMonkey
JKMonkey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Art Lover
Response to Stop buying computers! 2009-07-29 21:36:32 Reply

I've built a few computers, it doesnt take that long, and kits can be bought for very cheap, like $123 and youll get everything youll need for the computer other than the case, screen, and OS.

|"My dick was in the Guinness Boom of World Records... Then I left the library.|

BBS Signature
Bolo
Bolo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 48
Blank Slate
Response to Stop buying computers! 2009-07-29 21:49:49 Reply

At 7/29/09 09:18 PM, ThoseSneakyFrench wrote: Okay, wasting money on misinformed decisions is a good thing, and giving honest advice is bad. Wait a second, since when were my walls made of cheese?

Really, my friend? I thought we'd been through this before about six or seven times over the past several hours. I suppose I shall have to delineate even more clearly, and in doing so give the gift of insight to those slower children among us who clearly have thusfar been incapable of grasping such a simple concept as has been explained at length, and must be guided through the matter by the hand of a proverbial caring parent.

There are people in the world, you among them, who have grasped firmly within their psyche, the distinct impression that putting on vestments and standing, soapbox underfoot, upon an urban street-corner, shouting at the top of their lungs that the apocalypse is nigh, and that all who refuse to repent and to convert, on the very spot, to whatever form of reality the aforementioned preacher subscribes to, is an unrepentant sinner, and will be sent to burn in the fiery depths for their transgressions -- which essentially amount to the exercising of personal choice -- is a method of conversion conducive to the practices of freedom enjoyed by inhabitants of the western world. These people, I must take great pains to inform you, despite considering themselves in possession of the most enlightened viewpoint imaginable, are perhaps the saddest and most misguided members of the society they wish to rectify, because they believe that the free exchange of insults and violent threats and ideas, are enough to convince the masses to adopt such a viewpoint as their own out of fear, and out of a sense of being imminently forced into a false choice between two worlds, when indeed no choice need be made based solely upon the biased testimonials of others, whose vested interests interfere with the accurate conveyance of information to individuals seeking enlightenment.

And these people, you must also realize, sell humanity short when they believe in their own ability to convert on the spot those whose viewpoints are removed by orders of magnitude from their own fringe fanaticism. People don't want, nor do they need to be bombarded with slogans from either end of the spectrum, from the mouths of people who deal in supposition and intrigue and seek only to bolster their ranks, as if it somehow reinforced their legitimacy as a competitor, and didn't come off as a sign of desperation and frustration, that by anyone in the world not subscribing to their singular train of thought, it was somehow a failure to be rectified on their part. On the contrary, variety, it is said, is the spice of our lives. Not only do some people prefer the functionality of competitors, but they prefer the programs available, and what can be done with those programs. They are concerned about the product they can produce, how efficiently they can produce it, and how effectively it can be made to perform whatever function is set forth by the person who designs it. The end user is not concerned about the means, so much as the end, and that is why Computer Partisans are an unnecessary middleman, interfering with the decisions of that end user, who is perfectly capable of making informed, researched decisions on his own without biased interference surrounding him on all sides.

BBS Signature
Jerich0
Jerich0
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Stop buying computers! 2009-07-29 21:52:29 Reply

Does intel make Quad cores or is that AMD only? Also If you needed 4.0 GHz could you get there with a 3.0 ghz quad core. Whats the conversion for adding dual and quad core together?

BBS Signature
BrainlessDan
BrainlessDan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Stop buying computers! 2009-07-29 21:53:36 Reply

Yes, that is all fine and dandy, but what you don't understand is most people are lazy.

Like me for example.

My opinions are so useless, I don't even listen to them.

BBS Signature
Obsessed117
Obsessed117
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Stop buying computers! 2009-07-29 22:06:36 Reply

I don't know why anyone would buy from dell in the first place when you can go to www.ecollegepc.com

They're the only prebuilt site ive seen that charges what a prebuilt should really cost. They mark up a very reasonable cost for labor unlike SOME companies. They also tell you EVERYTHING to the exact model that is in the computer you will buy unlike people dell who give you a junk case and PSU and no name RAM / mobos.

Anyway, its fine if you don't want to make your own because you don't want to take the effort, JUST FOR GODS SAKE DON'T BUY FROM DELL OR HP OR IBUYPOWER OR CYBERPOWER NUMBNUTS. Seriously, they all overcharge like crazy. But really the best of anything has to be built by yourself. If you want a good bike then its best to buy every part yourself and assemble it...its the same deal for computers.

rednec0
rednec0
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Stop buying computers! 2009-07-29 22:32:58 Reply

At 7/29/09 09:49 PM, Bolo wrote: more trolling

Okay, you're seriously derailing this thread here.

Back to the topic at hand; I've been wanting to do a build since a few years back, but obviously money has been really tight on me to do anything. Recently I've been thinking about doing this kind of build (note I already have an adequate case and power supply). I just can't wait to get the money for it; of course when that happens I'll just wait until Windows 7 OEM gets on the market.

Tinkco86
Tinkco86
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Melancholy
Response to Stop buying computers! 2009-07-29 22:33:17 Reply

I built my desktop, and I am extremely satisfied. It will last me a few years until I think I have to do a complete overhaul. Built in a Lian Li a05b that I modded to help with cooling. I've sleeved most of the cables and I have done some cable management. I am really satisfied with the way it came out. I am going to the Nor' Easter LAN party this weekend and I will be in seat E21. Come and see!

I also have a Lenovo Thinkpad T400 notebook that I am using right now. This is sick, it is not store bought.

Stop buying computers!

ReligiousZoo
ReligiousZoo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Stop buying computers! 2009-07-30 08:26:56 Reply

I just got started on some, I will post links soon

Yiffy
Yiffy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Stop buying computers! 2009-07-30 08:46:49 Reply

Even if you're afraid you might break something, most bigger hardware stores build your computer for you for a nominal fee. Here it's about 50 euro and you don't even have to do anything your self other than choosing what parts you want. It's really that easy.

So zetta slow!

BBS Signature
Munzy
Munzy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Stop buying computers! 2009-07-30 08:53:58 Reply

Some of us are too lazy

Stop That

BBS Signature
ReligiousZoo
ReligiousZoo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Stop buying computers! 2009-07-30 08:57:05 Reply

At 7/30/09 08:53 AM, Munzy wrote: Some of us are too lazy

I think you are the biggest idiot to hit this thread.

Can you at least read? I mean fuck, it takes 24 minutes for me to pick out legit and good computer parts but you go ahead and walk on up to bestbuy and waste your money on an emachines that couldn't even play halo 2 on "low."

HappyYeti
HappyYeti
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Stop buying computers! 2009-07-30 09:11:52 Reply

Putting together a computer might seem like something only tech experts could do, but it really is an easy task. All that's required of you is the time and effort to educate yourself. This is the basic checklist of parts you will need to buy

effort, something nobody here has any of

I do Art. I also have a Gaming Site

BBS Signature
JackPhantasm
JackPhantasm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Blank Slate
Response to Stop buying computers! 2009-07-30 09:21:17 Reply

Can I build a laptop?

xsdemonite
xsdemonite
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Stop buying computers! 2009-07-30 09:25:33 Reply

I have a custom buid built by the shop i went to. I just gave them £500 and said make it spec for gaming and they did. Just have to replace parts now and again.

ThoseSneakyFrench
ThoseSneakyFrench
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Stop buying computers! 2009-07-30 09:39:46 Reply

At 7/30/09 09:21 AM, JackPhantasm wrote: Can I build a laptop?

The closest you can come to building a laptop is buying a barebone kitand adding the hard drive, RAM, and CPU, and Dvd drive.

Laptops have a ton of proprietary hardware, so building a scratch laptop probably won't come to fruition any time soon. It's not economical to build a barebone over buying a laptop, but then again, neither is buying a laptop over a desktop.

JackPhantasm
JackPhantasm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Blank Slate
Response to Stop buying computers! 2009-07-30 09:40:22 Reply

At 7/30/09 09:39 AM, ThoseSneakyFrench wrote:
Laptops have a ton of proprietary hardware, so building a scratch laptop probably won't come to fruition any time soon. It's not economical to build a barebone over buying a laptop, but then again, neither is buying a laptop over a desktop.

I am required to have a laptop for school.

Zanuha
Zanuha
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Stop buying computers! 2009-07-30 09:58:19 Reply

agreed. i have been surfing store websites for a new computer now (my computer was bought in 07 but its a 2002 model) but i figured it would take me close to a year to save for it. now i have bought more RAM and USB 2.0 expansion module and i found a decent (CRYSIS MEDIUM!) graphics card for 80 euros. i decided to start upgrading instead. after this, i will buy a new case (small town, 3000 people, one independent computer store and the stores owners son saved me from drowning when i was a kid, gives me discounts) and ask the owner to swap the parts from my computer to the new more customisable case. srsly, this computer has a 150 gig hard drive and its bolted on and there arent places for extra fans. and it came with a ball mouse.

Sig made by SuspiciousPenguin

BBS Signature
TacoFreak
TacoFreak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Stop buying computers! 2009-07-30 09:59:57 Reply

At 7/29/09 10:33 PM, Tinkco86 wrote: I built my desktop, and I am extremely satisfied. It will last me a few years until I think I have to do a complete overhaul. Built in a Lian Li a05b that I modded to help with cooling.

Mmm hawt shit. Is that a huge northbridge cooler that I see?

Fluffington
Fluffington
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Stop buying computers! 2009-07-30 09:59:58 Reply

Too lazy, buying is faster.

You know what would be really neat? These things actually being noticeable.

BBS Signature
HolyTomato
HolyTomato
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Stop buying computers! 2009-07-30 10:02:49 Reply

I don't have the commitment to make my own computer. I'm perfectly happy with my Mac because it does everything I need it for, which doesn't include gaming.

A little overpriced? Maybe. But I love it so it's worth the money to me.

Lemonsourkid made me somefin

BBS Signature
HolyTomato
HolyTomato
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Stop buying computers! 2009-07-30 10:06:36 Reply

At 7/30/09 09:39 AM, ThoseSneakyFrench wrote: but then again, neither is buying a laptop over a desktop.

Desktops are impractical for college, which means that laptops are a necessary evil as you get older

Lemonsourkid made me somefin

BBS Signature
ReligiousZoo
ReligiousZoo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Stop buying computers! 2009-07-30 10:08:16 Reply

At 7/30/09 10:02 AM, HolyTomato wrote: I don't have the commitment to make my own computer. I'm perfectly happy with my Mac because it does everything I need it for, which doesn't include gaming.

A little overpriced? Maybe. But I love it so it's worth the money to me.

A little?

gandalf74
gandalf74
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Stop buying computers! 2009-07-30 10:14:37 Reply

i bet you do ^_^

I am a wizard!

BBS Signature
gandalf74
gandalf74
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Stop buying computers! 2009-07-30 10:16:08 Reply

i bet you do ^_^

I am a wizard!

BBS Signature
ThoseSneakyFrench
ThoseSneakyFrench
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Stop buying computers! 2009-07-30 10:48:18 Reply

At 7/30/09 10:06 AM, HolyTomato wrote:
At 7/30/09 09:39 AM, ThoseSneakyFrench wrote: but then again, neither is buying a laptop over a desktop.
Desktops are impractical for college, which means that laptops are a necessary evil as you get older

There is always compromise. For example, let's say I take college courses which require heavy use of 3D rendering programs. To run a task like that, I'm going to need a fair amount of horsepower, especially from my graphics card. A laptop like this would do the job, but holy hell look at that price tag. Now, the specs of a part and it's laptop counterpart are different; the laptop part is usually underclocked to fit within heat limits.

For about $900 (rough estimate), I could build a more powerful, desktop version of the same computer, and then get a netbook, like this one. As long as I only need a laptop for taking notes in class, I can do all my rendering at my desk and save a bunch of money in the process.

Now, I know I'm stretching it with a hypothetical like this, but I'm just trying to prove the DIY solution can apply to a much larger market than most people think.

UVSoaked
UVSoaked
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 24
Artist
Response to Stop buying computers! 2009-07-30 11:10:02 Reply

I'm an idiot. I could have just built my laptop, instead of buying one. Should have built my TV too. Wait, you can build your own things without having to pay for them prebuilt? CRAZY TALK.

BBS Signature