Iron-Claw
Iron-Claw
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2013-02-05 04:52:27 Reply

At 12/16/12 03:38 AM, Austerity wrote:
At 12/11/12 05:30 PM, Light wrote: There's no reason not to.
Except the constant nasty smell that will be all over the place constantly and ruin normal life for everyone.

Au Contraires! The smell of marijuana smoke is NOWHERE NEAR as offensive as cigarette smoke. I used to think the same thing but it turns out cigarette smoke is far more dangerous because of oh so many chemicals in cigarettes and when chemicals are burned the negative after effects are enhanced exponentially but exactly what the tobacco companies put in cigarettes remains a mystery for the rest of us: They won't tell you.

Marijuana smoke is not nearly offensive at all.

Your Arrogance Will Be Your Undoing
Perfection Is An Illusion And Delusion Of Narcissists And Despots
It's Not Who You Were It's More In Who You Are And Who You Will Be

BBS Signature
JudgeDredd
JudgeDredd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Blank Slate
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2013-02-05 19:28:21 Reply

At 2/3/13 12:01 AM, Ceratisa wrote: Because X is acceptable why can't I do Y? That doesn't really make any sense here.

It makes sense if lots of people DIE from both X's ...and not 1 recorded death from Y.

Being Intoxicated effects more than just you, I'm not sure how selfish one would have to be to not understand that.
Too bad your personal decisions effect others when you get high.

Being depressed affects others ..and that doesn't involve drugs ..so not sure how being "high" (happy)
does affect others any worse than being depressed and straight. Quite the opposite in fact.

Ceratisa
Ceratisa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2013-02-05 19:47:08 Reply

At 2/5/13 07:28 PM, JudgeDredd wrote:
At 2/3/13 12:01 AM, Ceratisa wrote: Because X is acceptable why can't I do Y? That doesn't really make any sense here.
It makes sense if lots of people DIE from both X's ...and not 1 recorded death from Y.

But that simply isn't true. When you are mentally less capable of responding high on Y, Y is at least partially responsible for the accidental death.

JudgeDredd
JudgeDredd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Blank Slate
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2013-02-05 19:55:55 Reply

At 2/5/13 07:47 PM, Ceratisa wrote:
But that simply isn't true. When you are mentally less capable of responding high on Y, Y is at least partially responsible for the accidental death.

You're talking about 100,000's to 1.
Tobacco has killed over 100 million people worldwide. Marijuana still has no (direct) recorded deaths.
At least with marijuana, there are healthier ways to partake.. cakes, vaporisors, pills..

Ceratisa
Ceratisa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2013-02-05 20:27:47 Reply

At 2/5/13 07:55 PM, JudgeDredd wrote:
At 2/5/13 07:47 PM, Ceratisa wrote:
You're talking about 100,000's to 1.
Tobacco has killed over 100 million people worldwide. Marijuana still has no (direct) recorded deaths.
At least with marijuana, there are healthier ways to partake.. cakes, vaporisors, pills..

How many drugs are legalized for their pure recreational use? Once again bringing up how harmful alcohol is, is not a pro marijuana argument. It is a anti alcohol argument.

Anyway the argument for Marijuana would have more ground if only certain methods like you mentioned were allowed (no smoking)
In the very least reducing the risk of potential self harm through smoke inhalation. (which is never good for you)

JudgeDredd
JudgeDredd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Blank Slate
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2013-02-06 01:28:29 Reply

At 2/5/13 08:27 PM, Ceratisa wrote: How many drugs are legalized for their pure recreational use?

You know what dopamine and endorphins are? That's right, the bodies natural highs.
People do the most crazy shit like jumping out of planes hundreds of times.. just for recreation.
Drive fast cars. Run until they drop down dead.
Is that illegal? No.

Food releases both as far as i'm aware. That's the bodies "reward system".
Heart disease is the world's #1 killer. There are food addicts.
Epidemic disease like diabetes related to poor diets and bad foods.
Millions dying every year.
Is going to a greasy fast food outlet illegal? No.

Sex probably releases both.
You and i would not exist if they didn't.
It's causing overpopulation, hunger and millions of deaths.
Is recreational sex illegal? No.

So what's your point?
Because i can do it sitting down, healthily, and while working at my computer.
Not affecting anyone, and at much less risk than any "natural high".
Why isthat still illegal?

Once again bringing up how harmful alcohol is, is not a pro marijuana argument. It is a anti alcohol argument.

Alcohol is special. You drink, and it makes you thirsty (alcohol dehydrates) and you drink some more.
The more you drink the more you want to drink because you lose the function of reason.
You keep on drinking and your chances to die are very high.
It's a poison. Advertised everywhere. Billboards.. at children. That should be illegal.
That's why we compare with marijuana.
On a dating site i can't even say i smoke marijuana. (they censor my profile when i added it)
But they have smoking and drinking. And it's all over the dating site. Mentioned twice on some pages.
That is either ill-informed or immoral, so the comparison needs to be made.
And it doesn't mean that we want alcohol prohibition.. ("anti-alcohol" like you said).
It just means there is very real harm caused by legal drugs, and very safe alternatives are still illegal.
How many people are "forced" to drink and smoke simply because having a joint is too risky? (jail, etc).
That's why we talk about (current) legal and easily available drugs.

Ceratisa
Ceratisa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2013-02-06 02:13:22 Reply

Once again, you've failed to actually support marijuana. Just mention other stupid shit people do.

JudgeDredd
JudgeDredd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Blank Slate
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2013-02-06 04:06:33 Reply

At 2/6/13 02:13 AM, Ceratisa wrote: Once again, you've failed to actually support marijuana. Just mention other stupid shit people do.

Anti-depressant.

(i kinda mentioned that indirectly)

..and Medical.

(post above on this page)

.. and Healthy Recreational

(last post)

Ceratisa
Ceratisa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2013-02-06 11:18:33 Reply

At 2/6/13 04:06 AM, JudgeDredd wrote:
At 2/6/13 02:13 AM, Ceratisa wrote: Once again, you've failed to actually support marijuana. Just mention other stupid shit people do.
Anti-depressant.

(i kinda mentioned that indirectly)

..and Medical.

(post above on this page)

.. and Healthy Recreational

(last post)

Okay see medical isn't valid cause this is about recreational use of Marijuana,
Which you have yet to prove is a good thing, just that it isn't bad, and that some other options are bad.

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Movie Buff
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2013-02-06 19:44:10 Reply

At 2/3/13 12:01 AM, Ceratisa wrote: And once again mentioning cigarettes is invalid because of the difference in what it does to your body. And bringing up what alcohol does to one's mind isn't a pro marijuana argument. It is an anti alcohol argument. People who keep bringing up alcohol must have the mentality of a first grader.

Saying this doesn't make it so. I have yet to hear a good argument against legalizing marijuana that cannot be said about alcohol or tobacco and is also actually true.

sig by JaY11
one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature
Ceratisa
Ceratisa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2013-02-06 20:08:49 Reply

At 2/6/13 07:44 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 2/3/13 12:01 AM, Ceratisa wrote: And once again mentioning cigarettes is invalid because of the difference in what it does to your body. And bringing up what alcohol does to one's mind isn't a pro marijuana argument. It is an anti alcohol argument. People who keep bringing up alcohol must have the mentality of a first grader.
Saying this doesn't make it so. I have yet to hear a good argument against legalizing marijuana that cannot be said about alcohol or tobacco and is also actually true.

But as I keep saying, mentioning that something else isn't exactly great doesn't justify something else. And I believe a good argument needs to be made about recreational use of marijuana. And money spent on drug conselling for youth along with other things could outweigh the cost reduction on holding offenders in jail. Furthermore wouldn't a simple decriminalization accomplish this anyway?

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Movie Buff
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2013-02-06 22:16:16 Reply

At 2/6/13 08:08 PM, Ceratisa wrote: But as I keep saying, mentioning that something else isn't exactly great doesn't justify something else.

So what? Are you for making booze illegal, then?

sig by JaY11

BBS Signature
JudgeDredd
JudgeDredd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Blank Slate
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2013-02-07 02:38:00 Reply

At 2/6/13 11:18 AM, Ceratisa wrote:
Okay see medical isn't valid cause this is about recreational use of Marijuana,
Which you have yet to prove is a good thing, just that it isn't bad, and that some other options are bad.

Recreational is only a small part of marijuana use in my own life.
Socializing might be a part of it. Relaxing another.

For myself i'd say it's more an occupational use. I work well on it as a coder or designer.
It helps me see everything better.. which is a long story of course.
Living up to one's own hyperbole (showing by doing) is not often an easy thing.

There's slight problem of living in a parallel mindset where we have to pretend
it's legal when it ain't, just not to focus on more paranoid thinking.

Then once past that some mind exploration is possible.
That's where religious spiritual (Rasta etc) thoughts are.
So that could be recreational.. if we can call it that ..like from atheist viewpoint.

So a multi-various lot of reasons.. which all sadly have convoluted explanations.

Ceratisa
Ceratisa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2013-02-07 10:01:53 Reply

At 2/6/13 10:16 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 2/6/13 08:08 PM, Ceratisa wrote: But as I keep saying, mentioning that something else isn't exactly great doesn't justify something else.

Nope but your reasoning is just one that suggests Booze should be illegal

@Judge
Would you be opposed to a drug that somehow magically recreated the same relaxation you got without getting high? Or would you find that unacceptable? (Honest question)

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Movie Buff
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2013-02-07 14:35:00 Reply

At 2/7/13 10:01 AM, Ceratisa wrote:
Nope

See, this is why it is relevant. If you don't believe alcohol should be outlawed, but you're going to argue against legalizing pot, then you should be able to come up with arguments that can't also be said about alcohol. It's very simple, and shrugging it off isn't going to somehow invalidate it.

sig by JaY11

BBS Signature
Ceratisa
Ceratisa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2013-02-07 19:59:57 Reply

At 2/7/13 02:35 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 2/7/13 10:01 AM, Ceratisa wrote:
Nope
See, this is why it is relevant. If you don't believe alcohol should be outlawed, but you're going to argue against legalizing pot, then you should be able to come up with arguments that can't also be said about alcohol. It's very simple, and shrugging it off isn't going to somehow invalidate it.

But now you are just putting words in my mouth. Just because I'm not for making "booze" illegal
(That failed awhile ago and it introduced organized crime, and if you want to make the Cartel argument we might as well make all illegal substances legal or drop it. Because they don't just deal marijuana, far from it, so regardless of marijuana being legalized we'd still have them)

I'm sorry you don't understand the difference between arguing for something and against something else. I'm simply not saying booze should be legal and Marijuana shouldn't. There is no argument to be made there at all. You need to argue the pros of something without bringing up the cons of something else. There simply isn't an honest argument to be made from that unless you can force all alcoholics to become pot heads instead, no what is more likely is more people will be abusing more substances.
This isn't a simple case of
+M = -A

I don't care for alcohol at all, I personally don't consume it. I cannot willingly consume a substance that retards mind like that, I feel the same way about Marijuana.

RacistBassist
RacistBassist
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Melancholy
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2013-02-07 20:19:08 Reply

When talking about the legality of something you don't need to bring up pros if there are no cons.

All the cool kids have signature text

BBS Signature
Ceratisa
Ceratisa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2013-02-08 23:33:07 Reply

At 2/7/13 08:19 PM, RacistBassist wrote: When talking about the legality of something you don't need to bring up pros if there are no cons.

That isn't even remotely true, because if it were then changes policies and the bureaucracies that follows is free. Nor can I see anyone deny with reason that more children may use the substance with increased supply (Dad has pot, smoke it) If children access parent's weapons because some don't lock it up you better believe some marijuana is gonna get smoked. Nor should we need to bear the increased cost of counseling for more children substance abuse.

redoctober3
redoctober3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2013-02-09 23:11:27 Reply

I feel that all drugs should be legalized. Alot of people i know disagree with that stance, but i can't understand their logic. I mean, they impair you behind a vehicle no more or less than alcohol will. Some say that if they are legalized than more people will start doing them, but that doesn't make sense. Most people who don't do drugs don't do them because they don't want to, not because they're illegal. People who want to do drugs are going to get them, legal or not. It's outrageous to jail someone for doing something that is in no way directly infringing upon the rights of anyone else. Prohibition just doesn't work. History will tell you that. All drug prohibition has accomplished is the utter waste of tax payer money, used to keep non-violent offenders in prison.

This would also significantly reduce Gang-Violence. You always hear people talking about how bad Gang-Violence is. Well, think about it . Alot of gang-violence is drug related. One gang is selling in a particular area, another gang comes along and starts selling in the same area, cutting into their business, so they take them out. Drugs being legalized = no more need for drug dealers. No drug dealers = less gang violence.

Regardless of whether or not you agree with the above, any logical person will agree that Cannabis should be legal. Out of all the drugs (if you can even call it a drug), it definitely has the lightest effects. I know people who smoke everyday and i see no significant change, and those same people, when drunk, are completely different people. Not to mention, it's Natural. Cannabis comes from nature, just like we do. You can't just outlaw nature, it doesn't make sense, and it's not our right.

Well, those are my thoughts on the subject. Prohibition just does not work. It has never worked, and it never will. It didn't work for alcohol in the 20's and 30's, and it's not working for drugs now. It needs to stop.

We have a choice. We can enhance life and come to know the universe that made us, or we can squander our 15 billion year heritage in meaningless self-destruction.
~ Carl Sagan

svenisgod
svenisgod
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2013-02-12 20:02:18 Reply

You've been in this thread a long long long time and you have heard literally evry argument we have.
It will reduce crime
It allows those who have a problem with it to get help without social and legal persecution.
It reduces the amount of money cartels make (marijuana is still the most trafficked drug worldwide)
It ensures that the product is free of harmful additives
It means law abiding citizens do not have to deal with criminals
It makes shittons of money for government.
It is a great medicine that does not need to be controlled by big pharmacy
Hemp is a great fibre and far superior as a paper.
Reasonable use can actually start to be advocated. Previously no one could speak of it that way for its illegality.
As a free society we should have a right to our own bodies.
It harms no one bar ourselves. It makes no one aggressive, it calms people, within the scientific circle it is known to promote brain development, it is not toxic, it has no physical addiction.
Legalization will keep it out of the hands of children more than a random drug dealer will.
Just like the war on alcohol, the war on drugs has failed. It has failed horribly. It is an enormous waste of time and money.
And alcohol is legal and much worse than marijuana because we learnt from our mistakes and legalized it because of all the reasons (well most of them. Alcohol isn't a very good medicine)

You have heard all of this. These are great arguments that you have never shown adaquate rebuttals to instead calling us names and using ad hominen to make yourself look unable to have an argument. You are among the only person left arguing against. When will you admit that we have won. That the answer is not business as usual, that something needs to change.
You will probably nver admit because you base your opinion on something you really know nothing about. You have never tried it. You think its this big scary drug that ruins everyone who uses it but because you will never try it you will never know what we are talking about about and by extension you will never know what you ara talking about.
Everything has been said. I think we all agree weed should be legalized and the arguments in this thread should be enough to convince. The next argument should be whether all drugs should be legalized like Portugal did.

derp derp derp derp derp

JudgeDredd
JudgeDredd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Blank Slate
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2013-02-12 23:24:50 Reply

..internet back again :P

Ceratisa wrote:
@Judge
Would you be opposed to a drug that somehow magically recreated the same relaxation you got without getting high?
Or would you find that unacceptable?

As i said, relaxation isn't a big part of it for me. I'm more creative or motivation user.
I helps me to focus on whatever important thing i'm doing. Like 'being in the now'.
Some people might study at length various forms of meditation for similar effects.
On a good day it puts you 'in the zone' and you can work on it very effectively for many hours.

The creative side needs care. There's a saying that every idea you have stoned seems brilliant, but not so great when you're straight again. A fairly common problem is getting really cool ideas, and then do nothing about them.
That's where depression sometimes arises. It's important to try to follow through on good ideas.
To explore them further, write them down, and work on them either straight or stoned later on.

Each person is different on how they use it.
There's a lot of stereotyping about being loser or dopey.
That's a case of believing what you want to believe.
Reality is it's been used as a gateway to religion, self-exploration, etc since we were primitive cavemen.

Even the issues with short-term memory i believe are more to do with how the brain is working
on a different fundamental level. It's like re-organizing your room into a better functioning design,
but then simply forgetting where you put something.

There's nothing really comparable to it, otherwise we'd be advocating that instead. ;)

Ceratisa
Ceratisa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2013-02-13 00:14:16 Reply

At 2/12/13 08:02 PM, svenisgod wrote:
You've been in this thread a long long long time and you have heard literally evry argument we have.

Please give me more.

It will reduce crime

No it won't, decriminalization could do it better without increasing the supply that children have access too.

It allows those who have a problem with it to get help without social and legal persecution.

It is called counseling, you can already do it.

It reduces the amount of money cartels make (marijuana is still the most trafficked drug worldwide)

Not a valid argument unless it would actually get them off the streets, no they would probably push their harder drugs harder then ever.

It ensures that the product is free of harmful additives

How does it do this? While a more regulated distribution may help somewhat. The stuff people do to get a better high doesn't change.

It means law abiding citizens do not have to deal with criminals

That kind of argument just means, "What you aren't doing isn't illegal anymore"

It makes shittons of money for government.

Which would only help offset the cost from increased outreach and drug counseling programs for youths.

It is a great medicine that does not need to be controlled by big pharmacy

It would be controlled by "big pharmacy" if you are still mentioning the safer distribution regulations. Please choose one or the other.

Hemp is a great fibre and far superior as a paper.

Not remotely relevant to the use of marijuana as a drug.

Reasonable use can actually start to be advocated. Previously no one could speak of it that way for its illegality.

What is reasonable use? Getting high isn't reasonable use is it?

As a free society we should have a right to our own bodies.

Not a real argument unless you want to make that for harder drugs.

It harms no one bar ourselves. It makes no one aggressive, it calms people, within the scientific circle it is known to

promote brain development, it is not toxic, it has no physical addiction.
IT does not promote brain development
In another study, Barry Jacobs, a neuroscientist at Princeton University, gave mice the natural cannabinoid found in marijuana, THC (D9-tetrahydrocannabinol)). But he says he detected no neurogenesis, no matter what dose he gave or the length of time he gave it for. He will present his results at the Society for Neuroscience meeting in Washington DC in November.

Jacobs says it could be that HU210 and THC do not have the same effect on cell growth. It could also be the case that cannabinoids behave differently in different rodent species - which leaves open the question of how they behave in humans.

Zhang says more research is needed before it is clear whether cannabinoids could some day be used to treat depression in humans.
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn8155-marijuana-might-c ause-new-cell-growth-in-the-brain.html
so THC no matter dosage had no effect

Legalization will keep it out of the hands of children more than a random drug dealer will.

No it won't it will increase at home supplies, there is no way that increasing supplies available at home and not decreasing them else where keeps it from kids.

Just like the war on alcohol, the war on drugs has failed. It has failed horribly. It is an enormous waste of time and money.

War on alcohol? Where is that the prohibition? I've proven how different the circumstances between them are already

And alcohol is legal and much worse than marijuana because we learnt from our mistakes and legalized it because of all the reasons (well most of them. Alcohol isn't a very good medicine)

I keep saying over and over again that mentioning how harmful Alcohol is, is not a pro marijuana argument.

You have heard all of this. These are great arguments that you have never shown adaquate rebuttals to instead calling us names and using ad hominen to make yourself look unable to have an argument. You are among the only person left arguing against. When will you admit that we have won. That the answer is not business as usual, that something needs to change.

Ad hominem where? The point I make that people who abuse a substances and objectively and without bias state its impact?
I'm probably the only person left because the same arguments are being brought up without any basis on reality. And quite honestly, you are insulting me to bring up hemp. To suggest that I know so little about it is insulting.

You will probably nver admit because you base your opinion on something you really know nothing about. You have never tried it. You think its this big scary drug that ruins everyone who uses it but because you will never try it you will never know what we are talking about about and by extension you will never know what you ara talking about.

I never tried it because it is known to dull your mental state and I respect my body. I haven't tried getting shot and I know I wouldn't like that either.

Everything has been said. I think we all agree weed should be legalized and the arguments in this thread should be enough to convince. The next argument should be whether all drugs should be legalized like Portugal did.

I think the arguments you brought up were among the weakest of your peers. So I'm confused are you pro legalize all drugs? Cause Portugal used to be a player in the world, not anymore.

JudgeDredd
JudgeDredd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Blank Slate
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2013-02-13 01:41:54 Reply

At 2/13/13 12:14 AM, Ceratisa wrote: [THC] does not promote brain development
In another study, Barry Jacobs, a neuroscientist at Princeton University, gave mice the natural cannabinoid found in marijuana, THC (D9-tetrahydrocannabinol)). But he says he detected no neurogenesis, no matter what dose he gave or the length of time he gave it for.

Seriously, comparing human-level consciousness to a mouse brain.. that has to be a joke.

"Promote brain development" is not referring to growing neurons, it's about opening un-tapped (dormant) neural connections and higher pathways.

Ceratisa
Ceratisa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2013-02-13 01:58:57 Reply

Seriously, comparing human-level consciousness to a mouse brain.. that has to be a joke.

(You don't understand anatomy if you think that is a joke.

"Promote brain development" is not referring to growing neurons, it's about opening un-tapped (dormant) neural connections and higher pathways.

You mean the pathways we form just by thinking? Can I have some sources on that, I'm honestly curious.

kryzyt
kryzyt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2013-02-13 05:23:49 Reply

I believe my argument for marijuana's legalization lies in our inability to regulate it while it is illegal. It is a substance that has a demand in the US, almost undeniably so. The demand sparks an issue- that people want to use a substance and could potentially bring harm to themselves (or children) in using it. Some ways of dealing with this issue, among others:

A) Make it increasingly difficult to obtain marijuana.

B) Legalize the drug and force people who sell it to submit to minor and/or major regulations.

C) Destroy all traces of the substance in the known universe.

C is of course impossible at this time, and A we've been trying for quite some time. I think as a society we should just accept that people use this drug recreationally, and act as damage control. At the moment we have slightly more money being untaxed and pocketed by necessarily illegal organizations, dealers who don't care about the age of people buying, and an endless amount of money being funneled through the legal system to slay a hydra that simply will not die. I'm open to other ideas if they are being offered, but recreational legalization seems a simple solution to this growing problem.

kryzyt
kryzyt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2013-02-13 06:15:07 Reply

At 2/13/13 01:58 AM, Ceratisa wrote: You mean the pathways we form just by thinking? Can I have some sources on that, I'm honestly curious.

I'm assuming in this context that neural pathways refers to connections between neurons through axons and dendrites. You don't form these by thinking, they are the process by which you think.

Saen
Saen
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 18
Reader
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2013-02-13 06:58:14 Reply

This debate is still raging on I see?

Marijuana and hemp do have great medical and industrial potential. Smoking/vaporizing marijuana has the proven side effects of tar accumulation in the lungs and/or alters brain grey matter composition (what this ultimately means I don't know).

It isn't a fallacy to compare marijuana to alcohol and various forms of smoking, because of of these are considered drugs and potentially addictive substances. Comparing marijuana to overeating and heart disease, that's a long shot.

A concern for marijuana is potentially large amount of public smokers and only adding to the smoking epidemic that so many non profits have been trying to blow out. This is the only part of this that concerns me. I can easily tolerate cigarette smoke, but secondhand weed doesn't take long to make me seriously nauseous. When I'm enjoying my dinner outside at a restaurant, relaxing in a park, or walking down the sidewalk, I don't wan't the sensation of throwing up to hit me. It is seriously awful I don't know how people enjoy paying for a smoking weed. The solution to this? Smoking areas would need to meet federal requirements for proper venting and open air space.

If marijuana was legalized, would it have a greater negative influence on minors than if it remained illegal? I haven't found any evidence to suggest such a thing, so no.

Overall I'm absolutely in favor of legalizing marijuana. God knows the U.S. needs the tax revenue, my family has a history of Alzheimer's so I do want all treatment options to be available, and I'd like to see more competition in the timber/hemp industry and fewer slash pine tree farms.

Ceratisa
Ceratisa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2013-02-13 09:54:18 Reply

At 2/13/13 06:58 AM, Saen wrote: This debate is still raging on I see?

Marijuana and hemp do have great medical and industrial potential. Smoking/vaporizing marijuana has the proven side effects of tar accumulation in the lungs and/or alters brain grey matter composition (what this ultimately means I don't know).

First of all this is about recreational use.

It isn't a fallacy to compare marijuana to alcohol and various forms of smoking, because of of these are considered drugs and potentially addictive substances. Comparing marijuana to overeating and heart disease, that's a long shot.

I'm sick of arguing this point so I suggest both sides just drop it so we can actually debate things. What I say though is, if we do legalize it it should be as regulated as alcohol if not better because it is often smoked.

A concern for marijuana is potentially large amount of public smokers and only adding to the smoking epidemic that so many non profits have been trying to blow out. This is the only part of this that concerns me. I can easily tolerate cigarette smoke, but secondhand weed doesn't take long to make me seriously nauseous. When I'm enjoying my dinner outside at a restaurant, relaxing in a park, or walking down the sidewalk, I don't wan't the sensation of throwing up to hit me. It is seriously awful I don't know how people enjoy paying for a smoking weed. The solution to this? Smoking areas would need to meet federal requirements for proper venting and open air space.

I would hope so, it was so bad in my high school. seriously overwhelming in most of the hang out spots.

If marijuana was legalized, would it have a greater negative influence on minors than if it remained illegal? I haven't found any evidence to suggest such a thing, so no.

Just the increased supply would make it more available to children. Plenty of kids get access to their parents firearms. Maybe we can at least agree on major fines on parents whose children have been found to smoking their weed.

Overall I'm absolutely in favor of legalizing marijuana. God knows the U.S. needs the tax revenue, my family has a history of Alzheimer's so I do want all treatment options to be available, and I'd like to see more competition in the timber/hemp industry and fewer slash pine tree farms.

Hemp can be grown without the legalization of Marijuana.

Ceratisa
Ceratisa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2013-02-13 10:06:59 Reply

At 2/13/13 06:15 AM, kryzyt wrote:
At 2/13/13 01:58 AM, Ceratisa wrote: You mean the pathways we form just by thinking? Can I have some sources on that, I'm honestly curious.
I'm assuming in this context that neural pathways refers to connections between neurons through axons and dendrites. You don't form these by thinking, they are the process by which you think.

Sorry I thought we were discussing the concept of Neuroplasticity. Which can alter the very way our brain functions through mental stimulation and exercises.
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1580438,00.
html

kryzyt
kryzyt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2013-02-13 19:34:29 Reply

At 2/13/13 09:54 AM, Ceratisa wrote:
Just the increased supply would make it more available to children. Plenty of kids get access to their parents firearms. Maybe we can at least agree on major fines on parents whose children have been found to smoking their weed.

You are supposing that more children will have access when it's legalized, I disagree. Dealers don't card, they don't care who buys from them. I've had access to pot FAR before I had access to alcohol. Many people who smoke marijuana don't like that they are breaking the law in doing it, and if it was legalized for recreational use would avoid breaking the law with it.