Be a Supporter!

Should marijuana be legalized?

  • 10,872 Views
  • 315 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
DickChick
DickChick
  • Member since: Jul. 7, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2013-01-29 17:26:07 Reply

At 1/29/13 05:18 PM, Ceratisa wrote: No, what I'm saying is Lots of people who admit to currently doing much harder drugs admit the effect marijuana had on them, how it was a BAD time in their life. (even though they currently do harder drugs, they aren't saying their present is worse).

I'm saying that it's important to consider their mindset when using marijuana and the amount they could have been using. There's a huge difference between the effects of marijuana when it's abused often and it when it's only used occasionally for recreational use.

Since these people moved onto harder drugs they probably used marijuana habitually to cope with some problem or had addictive tendencies in the first place. If you're depressed, sitting around and smoking weed all day isn't necessarily going to make you feel better, at least not as much as you'd like. So they moved on to stronger drugs to cope.

That's why these reports don't mean that the effects of marijuana are worse.


Just a chick with a dick.

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Member since: Jun. 22, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2013-01-29 18:33:45 Reply

At 1/28/13 07:42 PM, DickChick wrote: That's backwards. We don't allow things that are good, we ban things that we deem bad. Thinking that way you could justify the banning of many, many things that are legal now.

We do deem marijuana to be bad. It clouds the mind, stunts growth, ruins productivity, and is a ctalyst n far too many poor decisions.

The fact that it is safer than other drug or safer than already legal drugs is irrelevant.

There is nothing good about marijuana that would warrant the effort necessary to make the large changes it would take to create a legal system of marijuana. In other words, legalization is a waste of time and resources (marijuana has that effect on... well... everything.)

Ceratisa
Ceratisa
  • Member since: Dec. 8, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2013-01-29 20:17:50 Reply

I like how you are willing to draw up this scenario that enforces your point. Basically your straw man never took off, and because of this you have moved on to hypothetical situations to put these druggies in that strictly reinforce your argument. All the while continuing to claim that recreational use of marijuana is somehow a benign activity.

But an actual debate doesn't work like that. The only possible real argument other then "freedom" is the decreased costs on the legal system if we made marijuana legal.

But wouldn't reworking the laws to enforce fines, and seizure of property when failing to pay said fines also decrease the cost to keep users in jail?

Because it feels good, isn't "harmful" when not used habitually (debatable) aren't actual points.

And my state has like 15% pot use in the population. One of the highest in the nation and we don't have a ton of people incarcerated.

My state, the first to decriminalize marijuana has some of the highest % of young children in drug counseling. And it costs a lot of money. Even lobbyists for marijuana don't deny the negative impacts it causes, even more so on children.

Light
Light
  • Member since: May. 29, 2006
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Reader
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2013-01-29 20:23:29 Reply

At 1/28/13 07:29 PM, Camarohusky wrote:
At 1/28/13 07:00 PM, Light wrote: Please tell me which "bad effects" of weed warrant continued prohibition of the drug.
It inihibits the mind and and the resulting actions are negative to the community.

Laziness does the same thing. We should obviously outlaw laziness then.

These come in the form of poor decisions while driving,

Because most people drive while high.

You don't seem to know very much about marijuana.

waste of talent,

Please tell me what talent is wasted with marijuana usage.

neglect of responsibilities and duties (most often including children),

Everything in moderation. If used in moderation(as everything should be), then it won't result in neglect of responsibilities and duties.

I smoke the drug in moderation and I maintain a 3.89 gpa in school. I don't seem to be fucking up in life.
and so on.


Nothing about it is good,

Besides its numerous medicinal uses and proven ability to relieve stress as well as its demonstrated recreational value.

hence there is no reason to make it legal (i.e. to encourage further use of it)

I've already disproven your point, so there's not much to say here.


I was formerly known as "Jedi-Master."

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."--Dr. Seuss

BBS Signature
Iron-Hampster
Iron-Hampster
  • Member since: Aug. 27, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2013-01-29 20:33:36 Reply

At 1/28/13 10:00 PM, Ceratisa wrote:
You are joking right? Harms no body else? Even the people who speedball admit that when they were on marijuana was the worst time in their life.

harms nobody, but the user. I said that word for word. What people do to themselves is no business of anyone else's. I don't care if Marijuana made some one think their contacts were slipping into the back of their eyes or some stupid crap, that's no reason to out law it for everybody.


ya hear about the guy who put his condom on backwards? He went.

BBS Signature
Ceratisa
Ceratisa
  • Member since: Dec. 8, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2013-01-29 20:40:24 Reply

Why does he need to even justify his mention of wasted talent, when anyone who is being honest will admit to the mental fog that overtakes users.

Light
Light
  • Member since: May. 29, 2006
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Reader
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2013-01-29 20:42:40 Reply

At 1/29/13 08:40 PM, Ceratisa wrote: Why does he need to even justify his mention of wasted talent, when anyone who is being honest will admit to the mental fog that overtakes users.

I'd like to think I'm honest, and honestly, my mind is as sharp as ever. Most people who don't smoke the drug day in and day out would be inclined to agree.


I was formerly known as "Jedi-Master."

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."--Dr. Seuss

BBS Signature
Ceratisa
Ceratisa
  • Member since: Dec. 8, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2013-01-29 20:47:45 Reply

At 1/29/13 08:42 PM, Light wrote:
At 1/29/13 08:40 PM, Ceratisa wrote: Why does he need to even justify his mention of wasted talent, when anyone who is being honest will admit to the mental fog that overtakes users.
I'd like to think I'm honest, and honestly, my mind is as sharp as ever. Most people who don't smoke the drug day in and day out would be inclined to agree.

Oh look, people who abuse a substance claiming it doesn't have negative effects, big surprise.

Address my other points then, i'd feel to better about the already out of control pot use in my state.

Light
Light
  • Member since: May. 29, 2006
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Reader
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2013-01-29 21:10:56 Reply

At 1/29/13 08:47 PM, Ceratisa wrote:
At 1/29/13 08:42 PM, Light wrote:
At 1/29/13 08:40 PM, Ceratisa wrote: Why does he need to even justify his mention of wasted talent, when anyone who is being honest will admit to the mental fog that overtakes users.
I'd like to think I'm honest, and honestly, my mind is as sharp as ever. Most people who don't smoke the drug day in and day out would be inclined to agree.
Oh look, people who abuse a substance claiming it doesn't have negative effects, big surprise.

Oh look, someone disregarding the point someone is trying to make for trivial reasons. You may have just committed an ad hominem attack there, buddy.

Well, take a look at these studies.

Address my other points then, i'd feel to better about the already out of control pot use in my state.

And what points would they be?


I was formerly known as "Jedi-Master."

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."--Dr. Seuss

BBS Signature
Ceratisa
Ceratisa
  • Member since: Dec. 8, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2013-01-29 21:18:21 Reply

At 1/29/13 09:10 PM, Light wrote:
At 1/29/13 08:47 PM, Ceratisa wrote:
At 1/29/13 08:42 PM, Light wrote:
At 1/29/13 08:40 PM, Ceratisa wrote: Why does he need to even justify his mention of wasted talent, when anyone who is being honest will admit to the mental fog that overtakes users.
I'd like to think I'm honest, and honestly, my mind is as sharp as ever. Most people who don't smoke the drug day in and day out would be inclined to agree.
Oh look, people who abuse a substance claiming it doesn't have negative effects, big surprise.
Oh look, someone disregarding the point someone is trying to make for trivial reasons. You may have just committed an ad hominem attack there, buddy.

Well, take a look at these studies.
Address my other points then, i'd feel to better about the already out of control pot use in my state.
And what points would they be?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11576028
So, it fucks with your head after you use it. Oh wait, we knew that..

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-57501243-10391704/smo king-marijuana-regularly-as-a-teen-may-lower-iq-scores-as-an -adult/ How does this one help you?

And the alcohol vs pot thing isn't a valid point.

On a note, if you can't even read the thread, are you sure you are as sharp as ever? My post is quite visible.

Light
Light
  • Member since: May. 29, 2006
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Reader
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2013-01-29 21:18:57 Reply

At 1/29/13 08:47 PM, Ceratisa wrote:
At 1/29/13 08:42 PM, Light wrote:
At 1/29/13 08:40 PM, Ceratisa wrote: Why does he need to even justify his mention of wasted talent, when anyone who is being honest will admit to the mental fog that overtakes users.
I'd like to think I'm honest, and honestly, my mind is as sharp as ever. Most people who don't smoke the drug day in and day out would be inclined to agree.
Oh look, people who abuse a substance claiming it doesn't have negative effects, big surprise.

Oh, and by the way, I never claimed that marijuana has no negative effects.

Pay attention when you're reading someone else's posts.


I was formerly known as "Jedi-Master."

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."--Dr. Seuss

BBS Signature
Iron-Hampster
Iron-Hampster
  • Member since: Aug. 27, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2013-01-29 21:25:15 Reply

At 1/29/13 06:33 PM, Camarohusky wrote:
There is nothing good about marijuana that would warrant the effort necessary to make the large changes it would take to create a legal system of marijuana. In other words, legalization is a waste of time and resources (marijuana has that effect on... well... everything.)

so we already made the mistake of illegalizing it and forcing injustice over everyone who makes a personal choice, well we better do the lazy thing and hold course, even though there are pretty high long term costs to this law following no good reason to implement it to begin with.

as for the good it does, it creates jobs, it frees up the economy, it will create investment opportunities for everyone. All in all, legalization will reduce strain on the budget and reduce the labor surplus that makes it so hard to have a decent secure job these days. Topping that, the increased supply will lower the price which heavily weakens the main incentive for people to move on to harder drugs.


ya hear about the guy who put his condom on backwards? He went.

BBS Signature
Light
Light
  • Member since: May. 29, 2006
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Reader
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2013-01-29 21:25:54 Reply

At 1/29/13 09:18 PM, Ceratisa wrote:
At 1/29/13 09:10 PM, Light wrote:
At 1/29/13 08:47 PM, Ceratisa wrote:
At 1/29/13 08:42 PM, Light wrote:
At 1/29/13 08:40 PM, Ceratisa wrote: Why does he need to even justify his mention of wasted talent, when anyone who is being honest will admit to the mental fog that overtakes users.
I'd like to think I'm honest, and honestly, my mind is as sharp as ever. Most people who don't smoke the drug day in and day out would be inclined to agree.
Oh look, people who abuse a substance claiming it doesn't have negative effects, big surprise.
Oh look, someone disregarding the point someone is trying to make for trivial reasons. You may have just committed an ad hominem attack there, buddy.

Well, take a look at these studies.
Address my other points then, i'd feel to better about the already out of control pot use in my state.
And what points would they be?
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11576028
So, it fucks with your head after you use it. Oh wait, we knew that..

Umm, the my intention when linking to that study was to show that "mental fog" generally isn't permanent, at least if you're not a heavy user.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-57501243-10391704/smo king-marijuana-regularly-as-a-teen-may-lower-iq-scores-as-an -adult/ How does this one help you?

Teens shouldn;t smoke the stuff until they're old enough as their brains still have some substantial developing to do. Simple.

And the alcohol vs pot thing isn't a valid point.

Not my point in linking to that study. Read what the article says about marijuana.

On a note, if you can't even read the thread, are you sure you are as sharp as ever?

What a clever joke.

My post is quite visible.

I'm not sure which points they are, so I'll just quote this post, since you don't feel like telling me which of your points I should address, all or some, or some in particular:

At 1/29/13 08:17 PM, Ceratisa wrote:


But wouldn't reworking the laws to enforce fines, and seizure of property when failing to pay said fines also decrease the cost to keep users in jail?

Unlikely. Supporting prisoners is costly and I seriously doubt seizure of property and enforced fines is sufficient to pay for them, or justified since our prisons are overcrowded.

Because it feels good, isn't "harmful" when not used habitually (debatable) aren't actual points.

Yes, they are.

And my state has like 15% pot use in the population. One of the highest in the nation and we don't have a ton of people incarcerated.

OK.

My state, the first to decriminalize marijuana has some of the highest % of young children in drug counseling. And it costs a lot of money. Even lobbyists for marijuana don't deny the negative impacts it causes, even more so on children.

Children shouldn't have access to marijuana or any drug like it. I don't see where the problem is.


I was formerly known as "Jedi-Master."

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."--Dr. Seuss

BBS Signature
Ceratisa
Ceratisa
  • Member since: Dec. 8, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2013-01-29 21:29:35 Reply

According to drug control logic. Limit supply to decrease abuse. So don't legalize marijuana, or we could agree both are ineffective and enforce or change current laws.

Should =/=
15% of my state is far too much, it is breaking my states back to pay for the drug counseling of young children. Can you tell me how increased supply will help the children in my state? Or will more people with a legal supply be able to sell it to some kids looking to get high?

Light
Light
  • Member since: May. 29, 2006
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Reader
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2013-01-29 21:35:11 Reply

At 1/29/13 09:29 PM, Ceratisa wrote: According to drug control logic. Limit supply to decrease abuse. So don't legalize marijuana, or we could agree both are ineffective and enforce or change current laws.

Should =/=
15% of my state is far too much, it is breaking my states back to pay for the drug counseling of young children. Can you tell me how increased supply will help the children in my state?

No one is saying that an increased and more accessible supply will help the children in your state at all.

Or will more people with a legal supply be able to sell it to some kids looking to get high?

Ideally, if marijuana is legalized, it should only be sold in dispensaries where one will need to have proper identification and be of age to purchase marijuana.


I was formerly known as "Jedi-Master."

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."--Dr. Seuss

BBS Signature
Ceratisa
Ceratisa
  • Member since: Dec. 8, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2013-01-30 02:32:09 Reply

Ideally, if marijuana is legalized, it should only be sold in dispensaries where one will need to have proper identification and be of age to purchase marijuana.

So basically no real way to stop the resale.

DickChick
DickChick
  • Member since: Jul. 7, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2013-01-30 13:19:46 Reply

All I was trying to illustrate is that recreational users of marijuana don't necessarily harm others. This is purely anecdotal evidence, but I've been using marijuana recreationally since I was in ninth grade. I'm by all means a productive member of society as an adult. There's plenty of similar examples throughout this thread.

The burden of proof here is on you. I only need one person to prove that not all (as in 100%) users of marijuana have a negative impact on society. Now show me that the majority of users do have a negative impact, or at least that the number is high enough to justify a ban.

If you don't think that's a valid argument, let me know. If I misinterpreted your arguments I can assure you that it wasn't intentional.

At 1/29/13 08:17 PM, Ceratisa wrote: But an actual debate doesn't work like that. The only possible real argument other then "freedom" is the decreased costs on the legal system if we made marijuana legal.

My argument is freedom. My argument is that recreational users of marijuana don't deserve to go to prison if they haven't harmed anyone with their use, which is at the very least possible.

My state, the first to decriminalize marijuana has some of the highest % of young children in drug counseling. And it costs a lot of money. Even lobbyists for marijuana don't deny the negative impacts it causes, even more so on children.

The question you be asking is whether or not drug abuse is a cause of social ills (which you seem to believe) or a symptom.


Just a chick with a dick.

Ceratisa
Ceratisa
  • Member since: Dec. 8, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2013-01-30 13:56:59 Reply

"Victimless" crime of smoking pot (debatable) is still a crime. Your "freedom" to get high should not have the impact it would on others.

DickChick
DickChick
  • Member since: Jul. 7, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2013-01-30 14:03:24 Reply

At 1/30/13 01:56 PM, Ceratisa wrote: "Victimless" crime of smoking pot (debatable) is still a crime.

If it's debatable then debate it.
Explain why these victimless users should still be considered criminals along with harmful users.

Your "freedom" to get high should not have the impact it would on others.

What other people choose to do when they get high is not my problem just because I share a habit with them.


Just a chick with a dick.

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Member since: Jun. 22, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2013-01-30 15:44:08 Reply

At 1/30/13 02:03 PM, DickChick wrote: Explain why these victimless users should still be considered criminals along with harmful users.

That's why I say it should be like Washington was before they passed their recent law. Less than an ounce is merely ticket. A ticket is still a pentaly and a deterrent to the use of the drug, but it does not label one a criminal for merely possession it for personal use.

At 1/29/13 08:23 PM, Light wrote: Laziness does the same thing. We should obviously outlaw laziness then.

You can't outlaw a trait. It is both unethical and 100% impossible to really enforce.

Because most people drive while high.

So? That is no reason we should spend millions of dollars to make a sweeping change and put numerous people at risk.

Please tell me what talent is wasted with marijuana usage.

How many people do you know (I know, you're still a minor) who have used marijuana regularly and actually gone places? I can think of about 4, out of a total of over 100 people I knew that used it. That's well below that average for those who did not use marijuana. I've seen near genuis level people fail out of college due to incessant marijuana usage. I've seen intelligent high school folks who never made it to college because they spent all of their time smoking marijuana.

Everything in moderation. If used in moderation(as everything should be), then it won't result in neglect of responsibilities and duties.

And how has that worked out so far? Not well.

I smoke the drug in moderation and I maintain a 3.89 gpa in school. I don't seem to be fucking up in life.

And I have seen people who can drive extremely well after 6 beers. That doesn't mean we should legalize drinking and driving, now does it?

I've also seen cases where people took heroin to cover pain because they couldn't afford properly prescribed oxy, and till be able to live a normal life. That doesn't mean we should legalize heroin.

The evidence of 1 person being able to handle it, or even half of the entire marijuana smoking population being able to handle it is hardly reason to make it legal. Because if only half can handle it that means half cannot. Why open up more people to not handling it?

Besides its numerous medicinal uses and proven ability to relieve stress as well as its demonstrated recreational value.

Medicinal use is completely different and doesn't belong in the complete legalization debate.

Recreational value does NOT warrant legalization. ALL recreational drugs have recreational value, but again that does not mean we should legalize all drugs. Whether or not somebody 'likes to do something' has about zero bearing on whether it should be legal.


I've already disproven your point, so there's not much to say here.

You've disproven nothing. You have not made a case as to why we should change the status quo here.

Light
Light
  • Member since: May. 29, 2006
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Reader
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2013-01-30 22:15:52 Reply

At 1/30/13 03:44 PM, Camarohusky wrote:

At 1/29/13 08:23 PM, Light wrote: Laziness does the same thing. We should obviously outlaw laziness then.
You can't outlaw a trait. It is both unethical and 100% impossible to really enforce.

Kind of like keeping marijuana illegal, right?

Because most people drive while high.
So? That is no reason we should spend millions of dollars to make a sweeping change and put numerous people at risk.

We spend more money keeping the drug illegal, and frankly, reports of people driving while high and killing people are very uncommon.

Please tell me what talent is wasted with marijuana usage.
How many people do you know (I know, you're still a minor)

I'm 19 years old.

I'm not a minor.

who have used marijuana regularly and actually gone places? I can think of about 4, out of a total of over 100 people I knew that used it. That's well below that average for those who did not use marijuana. I've seen near genuis level people fail out of college due to incessant marijuana usage. I've seen intelligent high school folks who never made it to college because they spent all of their time smoking marijuana.

Everything in moderation.

Everything in moderation. If used in moderation(as everything should be), then it won't result in neglect of responsibilities and duties.
And how has that worked out so far? Not well.

Most people aren't heavy marijuana users who don't have their shit together.

I smoke the drug in moderation and I maintain a 3.89 gpa in school. I don't seem to be fucking up in life.
And I have seen people who can drive extremely well after 6 beers. That doesn't mean we should legalize drinking and driving, now does it?

Most people can't drink and drive safely, but most people who don't use marijuana excessively can be as productive as they need to be.

I've also seen cases where people took heroin to cover pain because they couldn't afford properly prescribed oxy, and till be able to live a normal life. That doesn't mean we should legalize heroin.

Heroin is an extremely dangerous drug for almost all who take it, but hey, nice job comparing something that is mostly innocuous like marijuana to something that can kill you the first time you try it.

The evidence of 1 person being able to handle it, or even half of the entire marijuana smoking population being able to handle it is hardly reason to make it legal. Because if only half can handle it that means half cannot. Why open up more people to not handling it?

It's not really opening up access to more people who can't handle it. Those who can't handle it will get their hands on it anyway. Besides, I suppose we can fund AA groups but for weed smokers who need help.

Besides its numerous medicinal uses and proven ability to relieve stress as well as its demonstrated recreational value.
Medicinal use is completely different and doesn't belong in the complete legalization debate.

OK.

Recreational value does NOT warrant legalization. ALL recreational drugs have recreational value, but again that does not mean we should legalize all drugs. Whether or not somebody 'likes to do something' has about zero bearing on whether it should be legal.

Marijuana's relative harmlessness doesn't warrant such strong and persistent opposition to its legalization in the form of failed wars declared on the drug by the U.S. government that cost massive amounts of money.

I've already disproven your point, so there's not much to say here.
You've disproven nothing. You have not made a case as to why we should change the status quo here.

Because filling up prisons with harmless drug offenders who must be supported by taxpayers doesn't sound like a good idea for obvious reasons. Ruining people's lives by creating criminal records for them because of their being caught smoking weed doesn't sound like a good idea.

On another point, many people can't handle themselves and overeat certain fattening food items. Many people can eat certain food items responsibly. Should we start banning fast food?

At 1/30/13 02:32 AM, Ceratisa wrote:
Ideally, if marijuana is legalized, it should only be sold in dispensaries where one will need to have proper identification and be of age to purchase marijuana.
So basically no real way to stop the resale.

If we restrict sales to those 21 and older, it'll help a lot.


I was formerly known as "Jedi-Master."

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."--Dr. Seuss

BBS Signature
Ceratisa
Ceratisa
  • Member since: Dec. 8, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2013-01-30 22:39:46 Reply

So basically no real way to stop the resale.
If we restrict sales to those 21 and older, it'll help a lot.

I said resale, do you understand the idea of buying or growing marijuana for recreational use then reselling it to kids for more?

Iron-Hampster
Iron-Hampster
  • Member since: Aug. 27, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2013-01-30 22:49:54 Reply

At 1/30/13 10:39 PM, Ceratisa wrote:
So basically no real way to stop the resale.
If we restrict sales to those 21 and older, it'll help a lot.
I said resale, do you understand the idea of buying or growing marijuana for recreational use then reselling it to kids for more?

what stops us from doing that with Alcohol?


ya hear about the guy who put his condom on backwards? He went.

BBS Signature
Light
Light
  • Member since: May. 29, 2006
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Reader
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2013-01-30 23:26:16 Reply

At 1/30/13 10:49 PM, Iron-Hampster wrote:
At 1/30/13 10:39 PM, Ceratisa wrote:
I said resale, do you understand the idea of buying or growing marijuana for recreational use then reselling it to kids for more?
what stops us from doing that with Alcohol?

Makes sense.

Not too many people sell alcohol to minors, Ceratisa.


I was formerly known as "Jedi-Master."

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."--Dr. Seuss

BBS Signature
Ceratisa
Ceratisa
  • Member since: Dec. 8, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2013-01-31 10:11:45 Reply

At 1/30/13 10:49 PM, Iron-Hampster wrote:
At 1/30/13 10:39 PM, Ceratisa wrote:
So basically no real way to stop the resale.
If we restrict sales to those 21 and older, it'll help a lot.
I said resale, do you understand the idea of buying or growing marijuana for recreational use then reselling it to kids for more?
what stops us from doing that with Alcohol?

IT HAPPENS WITH ALCOHOL! and even more people don't even confirm age!

That is my point you ignorant tool, it already happens with these substances! Why do you think it would be any different?

Misanthrum
Misanthrum
  • Member since: Nov. 4, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Musician
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2013-01-31 12:47:16 Reply

easy answer - "no." it's so damn simple to just never do a single drug in your entire lifetime and never drink.. yet almost the entire population besides myself does it.


rules aren't what keep me in abidance.

DickChick
DickChick
  • Member since: Jul. 7, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2013-01-31 14:18:02 Reply

At 1/31/13 10:11 AM, Ceratisa wrote: That is my point you ignorant tool, it already happens with these substances! Why do you think it would be any different?

At least there'd be some age regulation. Drug dealers never card anyone.


Just a chick with a dick.

svenisgod
svenisgod
  • Member since: Sep. 12, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2013-02-01 03:30:14 Reply

At 1/31/13 10:11 AM, Ceratisa wrote:
At 1/30/13 10:49 PM, Iron-Hampster wrote:
At 1/30/13 10:39 PM, Ceratisa wrote:
So basically no real way to stop the resale.
If we restrict sales to those 21 and older, it'll help a lot.
I said resale, do you understand the idea of buying or growing marijuana for recreational use then reselling it to kids for more?
what stops us from doing that with Alcohol?
IT HAPPENS WITH ALCOHOL! and even more people don't even confirm age!

That is my point you ignorant tool, it already happens with these substances! Why do you think it would be any different?

When I was 15 and all the way up till I was 18 it was easier to buy bud than alcohol. It has always been the case. The reason for this being is that a drug dealer doesn't care about age. A drug dealer cares about monetary benefit. The cool thing about dealers is that they also don't care about quality. I have heard many a time about dealers spraying fly spray on their weed either because they think it will make people higher (dealers often aren't the smartest of folk) or they want to replicate the look of the crystals you see on bud so that you know it is high quality. More crystals more active ingredients.
So we have this system this broken as fuck system where dealers can deal what ever they want to impressionable young people who don't know what they are looking for or what to not get. Whereas if we legalized (which mark my words is going to happen) we could have systems in place for drugs not getting into the hands of young people. Sure it would happen from time to time just like I used to get alcohol when I was fifteen. But the reason so smoeked more in my teenage years than drank is because getting a fake I'd to get booze was such a hassle. Y not just get some weed?

Also Portugal decriminalized a few years back. In fact they decriminalized all drugs not just weed and they found a significant decline in drug usage across the board.

Also the reason there are so many kids in drug counselling is because when they are to court about their marijuana possession charges they are offered two choices. One, go to juvie. Two take drug counselling and go on probation. Take a guess what most kids take......


derp derp derp derp derp

svenisgod
svenisgod
  • Member since: Sep. 12, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2013-02-01 03:51:05 Reply

Here in new Zealand (I'm actually in Australia but I'm a new zealander and all this applies to Aussies too) you would be hard pressed to find someone who doesn't smoke weed.
I smoke and I may not be the most stunning example of a person who contributes to society that is my fault not the drug that I use from time to time.
My friend adam is in medical school. He passed in Med school last year with an A average. Weed hasn't hindered his progress.
My brother has a six figure salary. He smokes. He works in biofuels.
My friends mum is a lawyer she smokes.
My friends mum is a social worker. She smokes and does all sorts of other drugs.
My friends dad is a psychologist. He smokes like a fucking chimney.

I could go on. These are all anecdotal but so are yours. You say you only know 4 people who were succesfull. I think the reason for this is because you don't hang out with smokers. The only smokers you see are the people whos lives are smokding. You know the kids with weed leaf patches all over their clothing and bandanas with weeds leafs and they have dreads and they are about as stereotypical as your can get.
I hate those motherfuckers they make people like you think we are all like that. New Zealand has the highest rate of pot smokers in the world. Its around 60%. You would think with such a highs percentage of smokers we would be beseiged with health problems and our country would be like Zimbabwe. But no. Our country is in a beter position that yours is. We have less debt. More public services and less unemployment.
Australia is the same. Their smoking rate isnt as high because of religion but it is still well ingrained in their society.
Their. Country is one of the richest in the world.
Weed doesn't impact on success. If weed wasn't there those people would still be useless because its not the drug its the person.

Prohibtion of alcohol didn't work and gave rise to organised crime which we still have to deal with. Have you seen how many people are killed or detained yearly because of the drug war? Because are routinely beheaded in Mexico and south America because of the powers your fucking drug war has given them.
Your prohibition is directly responsible for millions of dead. Its because of you that this shit keeps going on. We have a historical precedent for why outlawing. Substance doesn't work and you still think its a good fucking idea? How can you be so deluded?

Also decriminalization sucks. It means that the drugs are still impure because the drug production is still in the hands of criminals who don't care about you and the money they get given goes the the murder and assault we all love so very very much.
What does it say about a law when the criminals dont want legalization and the cops don't want legalization? Sort of makes for strange bedfellows no?


derp derp derp derp derp

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Member since: May. 16, 2005
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2013-02-01 05:36:58 Reply

At 2/1/13 03:30 AM, svenisgod wrote: When I was 15 and all the way up till I was 18 it was easier to buy bud than alcohol. It has always been the case.

This is probably true for minors anywhere. I know it was extremely easy for me and my friends.


one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature