Support NATA 2014

Should marijuana be legalized?

  • 9,277 Views
  • 315 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
DickChick
DickChick
  • Member since: Jul. 7, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? Jan. 27th, 2013 @ 06:03 PM Reply

At 1/8/13 03:16 PM, Camarohusky wrote: Alcohol is slightly different merely because of its prevalence as a cultural item.

Are you saying that a drug's social acceptance should have a bearing on whether or not it's legal?

At 1/9/13 03:02 AM, Ceratisa wrote: Some say it is responsible for the rise of civilization.

I'm not going to argue with this because even if it is true, it doesn't mean anything in regards to whether or not marijuana should be legal.

There are religious connections to alcohol.

You'd be lying if you said that the majority of people who use alcohol use it for religious reasons rather than recreational.

Historically it was a substitute for water when clean water wasn't an option.

Alcohol's historical significance has nothing to do with whether it should be legal now. Almost everyone in the US has access to clean water.

In a social setting alcohol is less intrusive to those not participating -Drinking vs Smoking

Few people smoke in public or around non-smokers, at least nowadays. It's likely that smoking anything in many public places would remain illegal or be restricted to businesses specifically reserved for the consumption of marijuana.


Just a chick with a dick.

Ceratisa
Ceratisa
  • Member since: Dec. 8, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? Jan. 27th, 2013 @ 06:36 PM Reply

I'm sorry dick, you can't actually debate the points I made if you choose to ignore the very points I made by dismissing the entirely valid facts I laid out.

If ancient rise of civilization, sanitary water intake, religious themes, and the difference in how long they have been used. By ignoring those facts, you ignore everything I said that contributes to alcohol being socially more acceptable then pot.

That isn't a fair debate, it doesn't matter if those reasons should be valid today. I laid out the facts on why it matters regardless of personal feelings on either side.

Should=/=Is

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Member since: Jun. 22, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? Jan. 27th, 2013 @ 06:58 PM Reply

At 1/27/13 06:03 PM, DickChick wrote: Are you saying that a drug's social acceptance should have a bearing on whether or not it's legal?

No, I'm merely saying that no one has really put forward enough to make a good case to change the status quo.

DickChick
DickChick
  • Member since: Jul. 7, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? Jan. 27th, 2013 @ 11:24 PM Reply

At 1/27/13 06:36 PM, Ceratisa wrote: That isn't a fair debate, it doesn't matter if those reasons should be valid today.

Of course it does. I really don't understand what you're trying to say here. I understand why alcohol is more socially acceptable than marijuana, but that doesn't mean that alcohol is "better" than cannabis.

Cannabis is the most popular recreational drug in the world behind alcohol and nicotine. At this point it's as well established as either of those drugs and possibly less harmful.

Think about it from the perspective of the average recreational user of cannabis, who is no more a pothead than the average drinker is a drunk. Using or even possessing cannabis turns him into a criminal in itself, not because what he's done is worse than drinking but simply because he enjoys the wrong drug. Wouldn't it make more sense to limit what he can do while he's high? People over 21 are free to drink, but if you get into a fight while you're drunk you go to jail. If you beat your wife while you're drunk you go to jail. If you walk around shitfaced drunk in public you go to jail. If you drive while you're drunk you go to prison. We've recognized that using alcohol in itself is not a crime. How is the same not true of cannabis?


Just a chick with a dick.

leanlifter1
leanlifter1
  • Member since: Sep. 30, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? Jan. 28th, 2013 @ 12:06 AM Reply

At 1/27/13 06:58 PM, Camarohusky wrote:
At 1/27/13 06:03 PM, DickChick wrote: Are you saying that a drug's social acceptance should have a bearing on whether or not it's legal?
No, I'm merely saying that no one has really put forward enough to make a good case to change the status quo.

So in other words to be clear and frank about it a drug or anything for that matter will only be legalized if it is irrefutable proven and clear to make more money for the current socioeconomic structure and power elite.


BBS Signature
Light
Light
  • Member since: May. 29, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Reader
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? Jan. 28th, 2013 @ 12:19 AM Reply

At 1/27/13 06:58 PM, Camarohusky wrote:
At 1/27/13 06:03 PM, DickChick wrote: Are you saying that a drug's social acceptance should have a bearing on whether or not it's legal?
No, I'm merely saying that no one has really put forward enough to make a good case to change the status quo.

Do you think marijuana users should still be incarcerated for using the drug?

What's the harm in legalizing it?


I was formerly known as "Jedi-Master."

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."--Dr. Seuss

BBS Signature
Ceratisa
Ceratisa
  • Member since: Dec. 8, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? Jan. 28th, 2013 @ 02:23 AM Reply

At 1/28/13 12:19 AM, Light wrote:
At 1/27/13 06:58 PM, Camarohusky wrote:
At 1/27/13 06:03 PM, DickChick wrote: Are you saying that a drug's social acceptance should have a bearing on whether or not it's legal?
No, I'm merely saying that no one has really put forward enough to make a good case to change the status quo.
Do you think marijuana users should still be incarcerated for using the drug?

What's the harm in legalizing it?

What is the harm in letting it remain illegal? Don't mention cost because changing policies is expensive too.

Recreational use of drugs, really?

Ononymous
Ononymous
  • Member since: Nov. 4, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? Jan. 28th, 2013 @ 07:59 AM Reply

At 1/28/13 02:23 AM, Ceratisa wrote:
What is the harm in letting it remain illegal?

The massive burden on an already over-crowded prison system from arresting non-violent drug users.

Don't mention cost because changing policies is expensive too.

Lolno.

Recreational use of drugs, really?

OH NO, SOMEONE IS DOING SOMETHING I DON'T LIKE, QUICK, LEGISLATE TO PROTECT MUH FEELINGS

Don't like weed, don't do it.

Fair enough?

Ceratisa
Ceratisa
  • Member since: Dec. 8, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? Jan. 28th, 2013 @ 08:58 AM Reply

At 1/28/13 07:59 AM, Ononymous wrote:
At 1/28/13 02:23 AM, Ceratisa wrote:
What is the harm in letting it remain illegal?
The massive burden on an already over-crowded prison system from arresting non-violent drug users.

Don't mention cost because changing policies is expensive too.
Lolno.

Recreational use of drugs, really?
OH NO, SOMEONE IS DOING SOMETHING I DON'T LIKE, QUICK, LEGISLATE TO PROTECT MUH FEELINGS

Don't like weed, don't do it.

Fair enough?

Not really when it effects me. My life has already been changed because of others abuse of pot

Btw saying lolno doesn't make policy changes any cheaper.

And non violent indeed? Other then the fact that irritability, and paranoia are side effects that make some react in violent ways when using marijuana? Not to mention when they are coming down. I wish people who got high could just destroy their own lives instead of effecting others. I wouldn't care at all then, but they do and you can't argue that unless you are being dishonest.

And with the push to further restrict tobacco why would we be pushing to legalize another drug that has been proven to have some higher levels of some of the carcinogens find in a cigarette?

DickChick
DickChick
  • Member since: Jul. 7, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? Jan. 28th, 2013 @ 09:28 AM Reply

I guess you're not gonna respond to my post?


Just a chick with a dick.

Ceratisa
Ceratisa
  • Member since: Dec. 8, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? Jan. 28th, 2013 @ 11:29 AM Reply

At 1/27/13 11:24 PM, DickChick wrote:
At 1/27/13 06:36 PM, Ceratisa wrote: That isn't a fair debate, it doesn't matter if those reasons should be valid today.
Of course it does. I really don't understand what you're trying to say here. I understand why alcohol is more socially acceptable than marijuana, but that doesn't mean that alcohol is "better" than cannabis.

Cannabis is the most popular recreational drug in the world behind alcohol and nicotine. At this point it's as well established as either of those drugs and possibly less harmful.

Pot has more carcinogens, how is it less harmful?

No one said it was better or worse. The difference is social acceptance, the rest of your post was a comparison to alcohol which can't be made until both are made legal and we see just how differently they are treated when they endanger others.

DickChick
DickChick
  • Member since: Jul. 7, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? Jan. 28th, 2013 @ 11:41 AM Reply

At 1/28/13 11:29 AM, Ceratisa wrote: Pot has more carcinogens, how is it less harmful?

Being drunk impairs coordination and judgement more than being high does. I'd never argue that marijuana is healthy or better than alcohol, but it's immediate effects are certainly not worse.

No one said it was better or worse. The difference is social acceptance, the rest of your post was a comparison to alcohol which can't be made until both are made legal and we see just how differently they are treated when they endanger others.

I can draw the comparison now. Alcohol and marijuana are similar in that:
-they are both primarily recreational drugs
-use in itself does not cause harm

There's already a system in place that can be used to punish people who harm others as a result of their alcohol use, but still allows others to enjoy it recreationally. It's absolutely unfair to punish those who don't harm anyone simply because they don't use a socially acceptable drug.


Just a chick with a dick.

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Member since: Jun. 22, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? Jan. 28th, 2013 @ 01:06 PM Reply

At 1/28/13 12:19 AM, Light wrote: Do you think marijuana users should still be incarcerated for using the drug?

For growing, dealing, and hoarding, yes. Otherwise it should be a stiff ticket.

What's the harm in legalizing it?

I have seen enough of the bad effects of drug use that I don't feel comfortable at all opening it up to the most 'responsible' (read: completely irresponsible) public, anymore that it already is. Even the minor ones.

KiwiSundae
KiwiSundae
  • Member since: Dec. 4, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? Jan. 28th, 2013 @ 02:07 PM Reply

By what I have heard, the THC in marijuana when used in the CORRECT ways (by burning in liquid and inhaling the vapors) can actually HELP you in numerous ways. For one, it smells nice (by what I have been told), and for two, it clears out toxins in your lungs. By smoking certain kinds of weed, as in ones with lower THC, you can reduce stress and relieve pain. Hell, marijuana has been clinically proven to help cancer patients raise their survival rating, if not, be cured from cancer. Marijuana is used in a variety of products, most of which are for medicinal purposes to be consumed once or twice withing a certain period of a prescribed time.

Before dissing marijuana as something that can only be smoked, make sure you do your research and maybe you'll realize that there's a lot more to marijuana than getting high. Frankly, the ones getting high off of weed are using marijuana with unsafe levels of THC and other things within the pot itself. You have to make sure you know what you're putting into that blunt before smoking it, otherwise, you'll be doing more damage than healing; and by legalizing marijuana, you can have regulations in place to keep the amounts of THC in marijuana meant for consumption at safe levels. Also, why don't we acquit those non-violent marijuana users of all charges right now and save the prisons a lot of space, money and time wasted?

The way I see it, with regulation, the legalization of marijuana can actually help the economy. For one, it can be a popular product sold to outside countries, who already have legalized weed, which will increases international trade. That right there, if the amount of countries legalizing weed gets higher (no pun intended), will likely lead to billions in GDP for the US. Why not legalize weed on a federal level and help the economy grow? For one, legalizing marijuana will give us hundreds of thousands of new jobs in the forms of growers, dealers and product manufacturers, and for two, we're looking at a multi-billion dollar a year industry with revenues as high as tens of billions of dollars yearly! Seriously! I think lifting the federal ban on weed will do this country a LOT more good than harm. It worked for alcohol and yet, somehow it's still more dangerous than weed, AND LEGAL (if you're the right age, that is), why can it not work for marijuana? Why all the hate on cannabis?


The time for making a webcomic is now..Introducing...

BBS Signature
DickChick
DickChick
  • Member since: Jul. 7, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? Jan. 28th, 2013 @ 02:17 PM Reply

At 1/28/13 02:07 PM, KiwiSundae wrote: stuff

It's funny that people can be alarmed by 20% THC street weed yet support the medicinal use of THC. Marinol pills are 100% THC and legal as a prescription drug. It's actually possible to die by overdosing on Marinol.

The levels of THC is natural cannabis are not high enough to cause bodily harm. The smoke is another story but THC levels are not a problem.


Just a chick with a dick.

Light
Light
  • Member since: May. 29, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Reader
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? Jan. 28th, 2013 @ 07:00 PM Reply

At 1/28/13 01:06 PM, Camarohusky wrote:
At 1/28/13 12:19 AM, Light wrote: Do you think marijuana users should still be incarcerated for using the drug?
For growing, dealing, and hoarding, yes. Otherwise it should be a stiff ticket.

If I grow weed for my own use or to give to friends, I should be incarcerated as a threat to society?

OK then.

What's the harm in legalizing it?
I have seen enough of the bad effects of drug use that I don't feel comfortable at all opening it up to the most 'responsible' (read: completely irresponsible) public, anymore that it already is. Even the minor ones.

Please tell me which "bad effects" of weed warrant continued prohibition of the drug.


I was formerly known as "Jedi-Master."

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."--Dr. Seuss

BBS Signature
Ceratisa
Ceratisa
  • Member since: Dec. 8, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? Jan. 28th, 2013 @ 07:21 PM Reply

At 1/28/13 11:41 AM, DickChick wrote:
At 1/28/13 11:29 AM, Ceratisa wrote: Pot has more carcinogens, how is it less harmful?
Being drunk impairs coordination and judgement more than being high does. I'd never argue that marijuana is healthy or better than alcohol, but it's immediate effects are certainly not worse.

That isn't even a case for pot, it is a case against alcohol.

And no, you can't draw the comparison without reaching.

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Member since: Jun. 22, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? Jan. 28th, 2013 @ 07:29 PM Reply

At 1/28/13 07:00 PM, Light wrote: Please tell me which "bad effects" of weed warrant continued prohibition of the drug.

It inihibits the mind and and the resulting actions are negative to the community. These come in the form of poor decisions while driving, waste of talent, neglect of responsibilities and duties (most often including children), and so on.

Nothing about it is good, hence there is no reason to make it legal (i.e. to encourage further use of it)

Ceratisa
Ceratisa
  • Member since: Dec. 8, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? Jan. 28th, 2013 @ 07:37 PM Reply

Nothing about it is good, hence there is no reason to make it legal (i.e. to encourage further use of it)

But it makes them feel good and chill man... If it feels good do it. Right?

DickChick
DickChick
  • Member since: Jul. 7, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? Jan. 28th, 2013 @ 07:37 PM Reply

At 1/28/13 07:21 PM, Ceratisa wrote: That isn't even a case for pot, it is a case against alcohol.

I was answering your question. You're the one that brought up alcohol?

My argument was not that marijuana is healthy it's that people should be free to use it under the condition that they don't harm others while under it's influence, which they could easily be for doing.

And no, you can't draw the comparison without reaching.

Can you respond specifically to what I said?

Alcohol and marijuana are both alike in that mere use does not harm others. That's why it doesn't make any sense for the mere use of marijuana to be punished.


Just a chick with a dick.

leanlifter1
leanlifter1
  • Member since: Sep. 30, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? Jan. 28th, 2013 @ 07:38 PM Reply

At 1/28/13 07:37 PM, Ceratisa wrote:
Nothing about it is good, hence there is no reason to make it legal (i.e. to encourage further use of it)
If it feels good do it. Right?

What a childish statement LOL.


BBS Signature
DickChick
DickChick
  • Member since: Jul. 7, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? Jan. 28th, 2013 @ 07:42 PM Reply

At 1/28/13 07:29 PM, Camarohusky wrote: It inihibits the mind and and the resulting actions are negative to the community. These come in the form of poor decisions while driving, waste of talent, neglect of responsibilities and duties (most often including children), and so on.

That's not universally true, and you have no evidence that the majority of recreational users will do these things.

Nothing about it is good, hence there is no reason to make it legal (i.e. to encourage further use of it)

That's backwards. We don't allow things that are good, we ban things that we deem bad. Thinking that way you could justify the banning of many, many things that are legal now.


Just a chick with a dick.

DickChick
DickChick
  • Member since: Jul. 7, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? Jan. 28th, 2013 @ 07:44 PM Reply

At 1/28/13 07:37 PM, DickChick wrote: My argument was not that marijuana is healthy it's that people should be free to use it under the condition that they don't harm others while under it's influence, which they could easily be for doing.

*easily be punished for doing


Just a chick with a dick.

Iron-Hampster
Iron-Hampster
  • Member since: Aug. 27, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? Jan. 28th, 2013 @ 07:47 PM Reply

At 1/28/13 07:29 PM, Camarohusky wrote:
Nothing about it is good, hence there is no reason to make it legal (i.e. to encourage further use of it)

other than the space in prisons that you free up, or the money you save by not enforcing this law. In fact, the act of using it harms nobody but the user, meaning there is no reason for it to be illegal to begin with.


ya hear about the guy who put his condom on backwards? He went.

BBS Signature
Ceratisa
Ceratisa
  • Member since: Dec. 8, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? Jan. 28th, 2013 @ 10:00 PM Reply

At 1/28/13 07:47 PM, Iron-Hampster wrote:
At 1/28/13 07:29 PM, Camarohusky wrote:
Nothing about it is good, hence there is no reason to make it legal (i.e. to encourage further use of it)
other than the space in prisons that you free up, or the money you save by not enforcing this law. In fact, the act of using it harms nobody but the user, meaning there is no reason for it to be illegal to begin with.

You are joking right? Harms no body else? Even the people who speedball admit that when they were on marijuana was the worst time in their life.

Ononymous
Ononymous
  • Member since: Nov. 4, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? Jan. 29th, 2013 @ 12:19 PM Reply

At 1/28/13 10:00 PM, Ceratisa wrote:
At 1/28/13 07:47 PM, Iron-Hampster wrote:
At 1/28/13 07:29 PM, Camarohusky wrote:
Nothing about it is good, hence there is no reason to make it legal (i.e. to encourage further use of it)
other than the space in prisons that you free up, or the money you save by not enforcing this law. In fact, the act of using it harms nobody but the user, meaning there is no reason for it to be illegal to begin with.
Even the people who speedball admit that when they were on marijuana was the worst time in their life.

I was unaware that laying back in relaxation after having smoked a joint is the worst time in people's lives. Thank you for telling us that.

DickChick
DickChick
  • Member since: Jul. 7, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? Jan. 29th, 2013 @ 12:25 PM Reply

At 1/28/13 10:00 PM, Ceratisa wrote: You are joking right? Harms no body else? Even the people who speedball admit that when they were on marijuana was the worst time in their life.

You're operating under the assumption that all of most users are marijuana are habitual users or will move onto harder drugs. That is not the case.


Just a chick with a dick.

Ceratisa
Ceratisa
  • Member since: Dec. 8, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? Jan. 29th, 2013 @ 04:45 PM Reply

At 1/29/13 12:25 PM, DickChick wrote:
At 1/28/13 10:00 PM, Ceratisa wrote: You are joking right? Harms no body else? Even the people who speedball admit that when they were on marijuana was the worst time in their life.
You're operating under the assumption that all of most users are marijuana are habitual users or will move onto harder drugs. That is not the case.

That isn't what I said. I'm talking about hard drug users admitting marijuana was a worse time for them then heroine/meth/cocaine

DickChick
DickChick
  • Member since: Jul. 7, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? Jan. 29th, 2013 @ 04:53 PM Reply

At 1/29/13 04:45 PM, Ceratisa wrote: That isn't what I said. I'm talking about hard drug users admitting marijuana was a worse time for them then heroine/meth/cocaine

Exactly. You're talking about people that moved onto harder drugs and therefore probably used marijuana habitually.


Just a chick with a dick.

Ceratisa
Ceratisa
  • Member since: Dec. 8, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? Jan. 29th, 2013 @ 05:18 PM Reply

At 1/29/13 04:53 PM, DickChick wrote:
At 1/29/13 04:45 PM, Ceratisa wrote: That isn't what I said. I'm talking about hard drug users admitting marijuana was a worse time for them then heroine/meth/cocaine
Exactly. You're talking about people that moved onto harder drugs and therefore probably used marijuana habitually.

No, what I'm saying is Lots of people who admit to currently doing much harder drugs admit the effect marijuana had on them, how it was a BAD time in their life. (even though they currently do harder drugs, they aren't saying their present is worse)
I am not saying habitual use of marijuana leads to harder drug use later.

Though many do and the claim isn't really false. Marijuana is seen as a harmless drug. Many don't even consider it a "real" drug.
But that isn't what I'm saying.