Be a Supporter!

Should marijuana be legalized?

  • 9,931 Views
  • 315 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
satanbrain
satanbrain
  • Member since: Dec. 6, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 40
Melancholy
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? Jul. 23rd, 2009 @ 01:48 PM Reply

my opinion stayed the same - never.


(הֲבֵל הֲבָלִים אָמַר קֹהֶלֶת, הֲבֵל הֲבָלִים הַכֹּל הָבֶל. דּוֹר הֹלֵךְ וְדוֹר בָּא, וְהָאָרֶץ לְעוֹלָם עֹמָדֶת. (קהלת א ג, ה

BBS Signature
KidneyThief
KidneyThief
  • Member since: Jul. 8, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 30
Animator
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? Jul. 23rd, 2009 @ 01:57 PM Reply

At 7/23/09 01:30 PM, Evark wrote: They should stiffen enforcement for impairment-related unlawfulness, however. Not criminal repercussions, but rehabilitation efforts should be increased. Honestly, I think drugs should be treated like a license to drive is. Recreational drugs are a privilege, not a right. The same way people take driving school classes they should have to take classes to learn about marijuana and it's effects. Once they've passed the state certified test, they have a license to buy and consume. If they're abusing their license to buy to provide it to those without a license to consume: they're stripped of their license to buy (but not to consume themselves). If they're abusing their license to consume by using at work, using while driving (... even though I don't really believe marijuana effects judgment behind the wheel much at all, personal anecdote below), etc. then they lose their license to consume as well.

Compared to underage drinking, how often do you witness or hear about underage driving? Exactly. A licensing system for consumers makes a lot of sense. Personally, I don't mind a little bureaucracy when it comes to things like that. ESPECIALLY compared to prohibition. And if it keeps irresponsible users off the stuff (in public) even remotely as well as current license laws do, then I'm happy. If you're on your own property, or in your own home, however, you should be allowed to do as you please. Same as you can have your 13 year old behind the wheel of your car up and down your driveway and parents can give their underage children a drink in the privacy of their own home you should be able to consume, grow, whatever your own shit on your own property.

Is a license system really necessary? We do not have licenses for alcohol, we have a drinking age and that works relatively well. Given there will always be underage drinking. I personally think the drinking age should be lowered, but that is a different topic. A license to grow/sell would make sense but to buy we could just have a legal age at which one could purchase marijuana. 18 is the legal age to purchase tobacco, why not marijuana? We don't need to take classes to purchase and consume alcohol or cigarettes, lessons like that should come from parents/guardians and other role models.
Marijuana could be regulated almost the same as alcohol. Have a legal purchasing/consuming age, no smoking marijuana in public, etc.

Creek
Creek
  • Member since: Feb. 11, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? Jul. 23rd, 2009 @ 02:25 PM Reply

Okay, Breaking down the argument here... no getting sidetracked.
First we need to come to an understanding of what Marijuana actually is and the reality of things concerning marijuana:

1. Marijuana is a plant, smoking it gets you high, it's relatively harmless, and it is the most widely used drug out there.
2. With that in mind, legalized or not, Marijuana will continue to be the most widely used drug out there
3. Just pointing out that Marijuana is fun. There's nothing wrong with it. Not the way I see it... If you think there's something wrong with it I'd like to understand where you're coming from.
4. So.. Legal Or Not.... Marijuana is simple (relatively harmless), and the most widely used Drug out there.
Let's come to terms on these before We can have a logical discussion.

If you misunderstand or disagree with this then please let me know. I won't bitch or fight with you (like most newgrounds users) I'll try to understand where you're coming from.

Okay so logically....... If Marijuana will still be widely used, legal or not, and the effects are relatively harmless (especially in comparison to Alcohol), What is the logical thing to do? legalize or not legalize?


World peace cannot happen in a world with radical Islam.

Dekagaru
Dekagaru
  • Member since: Sep. 28, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? Jul. 23rd, 2009 @ 08:51 PM Reply

At 7/23/09 02:25 PM, Creek wrote:

st newgrounds users) I'll try to understand where you're coming from.


Okay so logically....... If Marijuana will still be widely used, legal or not, and the effects are relatively harmless (especially in comparison to Alcohol), What is the logical thing to do? legalize or not legalize?

The logical thing to do is tax the hell out of it like they do with tobacco and alcohol. With the government not arresting and imprisoning innocent drug users, the amount of money we would save in law enforcement and prison expenses would be staggering. And the tax revenue wouldn't be bad either.


NAHM NAHM NAHM

BBS Signature
Dawnslayer
Dawnslayer
  • Member since: Mar. 17, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? Jul. 23rd, 2009 @ 09:48 PM Reply

At 7/22/09 07:37 PM, stafffighter wrote:
At 7/22/09 07:24 PM, Dawnslayer wrote:
So in short, there's no way to make your plan happen. You're really displaying the steriotypical pot activists oversimplification here.

One problem with that statement: I'm not a pot activist. Read on:

At 7/22/09 08:02 PM, stafffighter wrote:
At 7/22/09 07:53 PM, RubberTrucky wrote: I fail to see how this is essentially different from prohibition...

Allow me to quote the Eighteenth Amendment:

"After one year from the ratification of this article the manufacture, sale, or transportation of intoxicating liquors within, the importation thereof into, or the exportation thereof from the United States and all territory subject to the jurisdiction thereof for beverage purposes is hereby prohibited."

Prohibition: you're forbidden under threat of arrest and imprisonment from doing anything pertaining to alcoholic beverages...except for drinking them. (Loophole, anyone?) This created a system where criminals could render a profit by selling a high-demand product that consumers couldn't get from anyone else.

My idea: you are legally allowed to manufacture, transport, import, export, distribute, and even use the drug in question. You just can't sell it. If you try to sell, the consumer can file a lawsuit against you, and you lose even more money than you would simply offering your product for free.

The difference is that rather than people willing to risk imprisonment if it makes them rich, anyone who violates the law risks losing their money even though they won't be imprisoned. Drug cartels become economically unsound, and go from asset to liability.


It's different in that it lets him bathe in his correctness about tha falibility of human nature, and get stoned.

You're making an awful lot of assumptions about a person you've never met. I'm not a pothead, I don't smoke, I'm not a druggie, and I've never even had a sip of alcohol. I know drugs are lethally dangerous, and fully advocate intervention in both the public and private arena.

My idea targets drugs, but indirectly. The primary focus is criminal organizations who benefit from the sale of drugs. If you can remove the cartels, you not only cut into crime revenue used for other, possibly more dangerous things, but you eliminate the mass production of drugs, which in turn narrows the field of distribution. Combined with intervention tactics and preventative measures, this effect could in theory minimize drug use overall.

Iron-Claw
Iron-Claw
  • Member since: Apr. 2, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Artist
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? Jul. 24th, 2009 @ 03:24 AM Reply

Go ahead and legalize marijuana. Also lower the legal US drinking age to 18. This has got to be the only country on Earth that makes you wait 'till you're 21 for alcohol! If you're old enough to Vote, Join the military and die in a useless war, smoke and tarnish you're body far worse and more excruciating than alcohol ever could in moderation then you're old enough for beer! There's just one minor problem with that: There is so much penalties for teens drinking underage as opposed to teens smoking underage. When an underage person is caught drinking it's a felony. When an underage person is caught smoking no one gives a shit! That's hypocrisy!

Trust me, the first thing to be repealed once marijuana is legalized is the smoking ban in all public places like California, New York City, The State of Washington and elsewhere. I will never smoke. I have enough trouble with lung capacity as it is. I can only hold my breath for 52 seconds. I also can't deal with the smell of anyone who does smoke. And to anyone who thinks me uncool for not smoking, I don't give a flying fuck what you say, you stink, I don't! The same people who gave me shit in High School for not smoking did the same for me wearing a helmet on my bike, wearing my pants waist high and wearing my seat belt. Bein' has never been more dangerous!


Your Arrogance Will Be Your Undoing
Perfection Is An Illusion And Delusion Of Narcissists And Despots
It's Not Who You Were It's More In Who You Are And Who You Will Be

BBS Signature
xKore
xKore
  • Member since: May. 17, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? Jul. 24th, 2009 @ 10:57 AM Reply

The only reason it is illegal is because the hemp strain posed threat to paper, fuel and pharmaceutical industries in the way of competition, and those industries are willing to pay to keep it illegal. No other reason.

RubberTrucky
RubberTrucky
  • Member since: Mar. 27, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? Jul. 24th, 2009 @ 11:53 AM Reply

At 7/23/09 02:25 PM, Creek wrote: 3. Just pointing out that Marijuana is fun. There's nothing wrong with it. Not the way I see it... If you think there's something wrong with it I'd like to understand where you're coming from.

My GF at least tells me her dad becomes an asshole after smoking marrihuana. He's difficult personality already, but after doing weed his mood changes for the worse. Her dad becomes rather fucked up on those moments.
It may just be his case, but I don't really like the idea of a bunch of a'holes throwing tantrums over their high.


RubberJournal: READY DOESN'T EVEN BEGIN TO DESCRIBE IT!
Mathematics club: we have beer and exponentials.
Cartoon club: Cause Toons>> Charlie Sheen+Raptor

BBS Signature
KidneyThief
KidneyThief
  • Member since: Jul. 8, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 30
Animator
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? Jul. 24th, 2009 @ 01:05 PM Reply

At 7/24/09 11:53 AM, RubberTrucky wrote: It may just be his case, but I don't really like the idea of a bunch of a'holes throwing tantrums over their high.

Sounds no different then a raging drunk.

Timi
Timi
  • Member since: Apr. 23, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Musician
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? Jul. 24th, 2009 @ 01:31 PM Reply

As some of the other posters have said about the legalization of Marijuana, I think we should legalize it and have some taxes on it and such, and as Evark (I think) said about a license system for those who want to grow and sell it. However, I don't know where this could get a great income in revenue, or just be a bust.

I haven't smoked, drunk, etc etc. however I still stand that it should be legalized and have some control over it's trade and such. Does this mean people are going to still grow and sell it for less than say someone else? I don't know, and I have no idea whether, again, this would be a bust or not.

However my opinion still stands for the legalization of Marijuana.


Woo.

BBS Signature
RubberTrucky
RubberTrucky
  • Member since: Mar. 27, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? Jul. 24th, 2009 @ 02:06 PM Reply

At 7/24/09 01:05 PM, KidneyThief wrote:
At 7/24/09 11:53 AM, RubberTrucky wrote: It may just be his case, but I don't really like the idea of a bunch of a'holes throwing tantrums over their high.
Sounds no different then a raging drunk.

only, it doesn't take 10 roofies


RubberJournal: READY DOESN'T EVEN BEGIN TO DESCRIBE IT!
Mathematics club: we have beer and exponentials.
Cartoon club: Cause Toons>> Charlie Sheen+Raptor

BBS Signature
scarneck
scarneck
  • Member since: Dec. 9, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? Jul. 24th, 2009 @ 06:28 PM Reply

At 7/24/09 02:06 PM, RubberTrucky wrote: only, it doesn't take 10 roofies

Roofies are a date rape drug. I dont mean to sound rude but it bugs me when someone amkes arguments and doesnt know what they are talking about. If it was just an honest mistake i apologize.

And to the earlier post, her dad getting mad when high? Are you sure thats the only drug he is on? If it is I assure thats an extremely rare case and he probably has other problems to work out besides the smoking.

fatape
fatape
  • Member since: Apr. 28, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? Jul. 24th, 2009 @ 08:15 PM Reply

although Ive never treid pot , from being around people who smoke it, I think it's alot less annoying then cigerettes.

that being said, I support the legalization of all drugs.


"Work hard, sleep hard, play hard!"

BBS Signature
stafffighter
stafffighter
  • Member since: Apr. 17, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 49
Blank Slate
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? Jul. 24th, 2009 @ 08:25 PM Reply

At 7/23/09 09:48 PM, Dawnslayer wrote:

You're making an awful lot of assumptions about a person you've never met. I'm not a pothead, I don't smoke, I'm not a druggie, and I've never even had a sip of alcohol.

Right. So out of pure concern for humanity you have a plan who's only practicle difference from prohabition is that if someone had weed, say from a home growing situation, they wouldn't get in trouble. But you also go on to dismiss the likelyhood of people doing just that even though, it's already done. You're trying to dismiss it's likelyhood under the guise of the grand sweeping gesture and we're supposed to beleive someone with no personal interest in pot came up with it?


I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature
Dawnslayer
Dawnslayer
  • Member since: Mar. 17, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? Jul. 24th, 2009 @ 10:12 PM Reply

At 7/24/09 08:25 PM, stafffighter wrote: So out of pure concern for humanity you have a plan who's only practicle difference from prohabition is that if someone had weed, they wouldn't get in trouble....and we're supposed to beleive someone with no personal interest in pot came up with it?

Yes. And if you were arguing about the idea itself rather than making accusations against the person who came up with it, you might actually get him to change his mind.

(That was an invitation, by the way.)

RubberTrucky
RubberTrucky
  • Member since: Mar. 27, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? Jul. 25th, 2009 @ 03:29 PM Reply

At 7/24/09 06:28 PM, scarneck wrote: If it was just an honest mistake i apologize.

Yeah, kind of meant a weed cig when I said 'roofy' (sorry for the lack of accurate vocabulary)

If it is I assure thats an extremely rare case and he probably has other problems to work out besides the smoking.

I guess it's the only drug. He's often operational still.
I do know from people I hung out with and who decided to roll one that they act similarly to being drunk without using alchol. At least in their way of reasoning and the stuff they say.


RubberJournal: READY DOESN'T EVEN BEGIN TO DESCRIBE IT!
Mathematics club: we have beer and exponentials.
Cartoon club: Cause Toons>> Charlie Sheen+Raptor

BBS Signature
aSquared94
aSquared94
  • Member since: Jan. 22, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? Jul. 25th, 2009 @ 04:26 PM Reply

I think marijuana should be legal. Its a personal choice and it isn't as bad for you as people think. When you think about it everybody does it, so yeah why not legalize it.


BBS Signature
ianhumphreys
ianhumphreys
  • Member since: Oct. 4, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? Jul. 25th, 2009 @ 07:30 PM Reply

I think it should be leagalized for the dying to stop pain but californias gonna stone itself to death if it becomes legal for recreational use. Definetly not to death but IQ will definetly go down and the callies will become even crazier :P

But i think it should be medical use for the dying only, but in my personal belief i belive smoking it for recreational use is wrong because imagine california the year is 2015, unemployment rate has sored due to the "chilling effect" of marijauna and families have been destroyed over it. Along with californias college graduate dropping dramatically along with poloitical scandal. Just my way of seeing things.


I can has mortal kombatz?
NG Viking Army
Zombie Crew

stafffighter
stafffighter
  • Member since: Apr. 17, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 49
Blank Slate
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? Jul. 25th, 2009 @ 07:51 PM Reply

At 7/24/09 10:12 PM, Dawnslayer wrote:

Yes. And if you were arguing about the idea itself rather than making accusations against the person who came up with it, you might actually get him to change his mind.

And if you were to address the substance of the accusation you might have changed mine. As it stands the two things potheads are known to love are sweeping, unrealistic social change and not getting hasseled for their pot.


I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature
XIII13
XIII13
  • Member since: Nov. 8, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? Jul. 25th, 2009 @ 08:16 PM Reply

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but you have to think of the economic ramifiactions of legalizing marijuana. If it was taxed heavily, such as ciggarettes, and restricted, like ciggarettes, then the goverment could make a hug amount of money out of it. In this economic climate, that's something that should be considered.


This looks froody.

BBS Signature
Dawnslayer
Dawnslayer
  • Member since: Mar. 17, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? Jul. 25th, 2009 @ 09:39 PM Reply

At 7/25/09 07:51 PM, stafffighter wrote: And if you were to address the substance of the accusation you might have changed mine. As it stands the two things potheads are known to love are sweeping, unrealistic social change and not getting hasseled for their pot.

Thanks for the stereotype and for freely admitting to the ad hominem fallacy. Now let us examine the "substance" of your responses to my proposal.

-----

Initial assumption: "So in short, there's no way to make your plan happen. You're really displaying the steriotypical pot activists oversimplification here."

No substance. At least explain why it doesn't work.

Supplement to assumption, garnished with accusatory tone: "It's different in that it lets him bathe in his correctness about tha falibility of human nature, and get stoned."

Still not seeing the substance. This is a political discussion; talk about the issue.

Direct accusation: "Right. So out of pure concern for humanity you have a plan who's only practicle difference from prohabition is that if someone had weed, say from a home growing situation, they wouldn't get in trouble. But you also go on to dismiss the likelyhood of people doing just that even though, it's already done. You're trying to dismiss it's likelyhood under the guise of the grand sweeping gesture and we're supposed to beleive someone with no personal interest in pot came up with it?"

The "only difference from prohibition" part doesn't say why it isn't different, failing to build a proper counterargument. The "dismiss the likelihood" bit completely missed its mark, as I have made no such dismissal. Add the off-the-cuff sarcasm, and I have difficulty finding substance of any kind.

One more thing: if I were a pothead, what possible reason would I have for denying it? It's not like I'm running for political office.

-----

Now would someone, anyone, kindly explain to me in terms of what I'm actually talking about why my idea would or would not work? This charade has gone on long enough. (My BBS posts, to make backtracking a little easier.)

Thank you.

pikmints
pikmints
  • Member since: Jun. 12, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Gamer
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? Jul. 25th, 2009 @ 11:04 PM Reply

Yes

If we tax it the debt will be gone in 3 months. Marijuana has medical uses such as shrinking tumors. We already have legalized cigarettes, and alcohol, two methods of death. Netherlands has legalized most substances and look how little they piss off the world. It would also decrease the amount of arrests made= less money spent to feed prisoners= less debt.


Thanks to Charlie for the sig pic. League of Legends

BBS Signature
JackPhantasm
JackPhantasm
  • Member since: Sep. 29, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 37
Blank Slate
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? Jul. 25th, 2009 @ 11:27 PM Reply

I'm high right now and I feel great.

That's a reason.

Debate.

SeraphimFalling
SeraphimFalling
  • Member since: Nov. 29, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? Jul. 26th, 2009 @ 01:18 AM Reply

At 7/25/09 11:27 PM, JackPhantasm wrote: I'm high right now and I feel great.

That's a reason.

Debate.

I'm jealous. And you feel great because of the cannaboniod receptors (or how ever you spell it) receptors in your brain reacting to the THC.

But it should be legal because it's much safer than half the legal drugs out there. Especially alcohol.

scarneck
scarneck
  • Member since: Dec. 9, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? Jul. 26th, 2009 @ 01:41 AM Reply

At 7/25/09 07:30 PM, ianhumphreys wrote: I think it should be leagalized for the dying to stop pain but californias gonna stone itself to death if it becomes legal for recreational use. Definetly not to death but IQ will definetly go down and the callies will become even crazier :P

Alchohol also causes you to not be able to operate in society. Its legal and do people spend all their time just getting drunk? Only alcoholics and lets be honest, anyone who is going to let pot ruin their life will probably do so even though its illegal.

JackPhantasm
JackPhantasm
  • Member since: Sep. 29, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 37
Blank Slate
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? Jul. 26th, 2009 @ 08:14 AM Reply

At 7/26/09 01:18 AM, SeraphimFalling wrote:
I'm jealous. And you feel great because of the cannaboniod receptors (or how ever you spell it) receptors in your brain reacting to the THC.

Next morning. No longer high.

Still feel great.

Discuss.

GLaDOSKitten
GLaDOSKitten
  • Member since: Jul. 26, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? Jul. 26th, 2009 @ 09:37 AM Reply

The main reason marijuana has not been legalized like everywhere is because it is one of the main triggers for schizophrenia, depression and bi-polar.

JackPhantasm
JackPhantasm
  • Member since: Sep. 29, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 37
Blank Slate
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? Jul. 26th, 2009 @ 10:42 AM Reply

At 7/26/09 09:37 AM, GLaDOSKitten wrote: The main reason marijuana has not been legalized like everywhere is because it is one of the main triggers for schizophrenia, depression and bi-polar.

Nope.

XIII13
XIII13
  • Member since: Nov. 8, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? Jul. 26th, 2009 @ 02:57 PM Reply

At 7/26/09 09:37 AM, GLaDOSKitten wrote: The main reason marijuana has not been legalized like everywhere is because it is one of the main triggers for schizophrenia, depression and bi-polar.

Prove it. Show us a scientific source proving it. Besides, a lot of people smoke marijuana to get over depression and to feel better. I'm pretty sure it doesn't cause depression.


This looks froody.

BBS Signature
SeraphimFalling
SeraphimFalling
  • Member since: Nov. 29, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Should marijuana be legalized? Jul. 26th, 2009 @ 03:15 PM Reply

At 7/26/09 09:37 AM, GLaDOSKitten wrote: The main reason marijuana has not been legalized like everywhere is because it is one of the main triggers for schizophrenia, depression and bi-polar.

You are completely and utterly wrong. marijuana is safer than almost any drug out there.