New Topic Respond to this Topic
Stunji
Stunji
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-08-15 14:42:42 Reply

Hey, I could just be late to the party...

but for a time, Wavechan's Optimus Prime piece which is currently at the top of the portal had a score of 9.1 out of 5. It stayed that way until enough people voted 5's and lower that it fell below five.

How does that happen? It isn't exactly fair IMO, not that the art wasn't good, but that a user can go over 5 pretty much guarantees their dominance for an extended period of time.

KrevZabijak
KrevZabijak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Melancholy
Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-08-18 23:12:08 Reply

How come, when a review is left, it's immediately labeled as "People aren't in agreement over whether this is helpful or not."
Whereas outside of the art portal, that is not the case. "No users have weighed in on this review."

Dexter Season 5: "Psychopaths in love. It's like Zodiac and Juliet."

TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-08-19 14:41:47 Reply

At 8/15/09 02:42 PM, Stunji wrote: How does that happen? It isn't exactly fair ... that a user can go over 5 pretty much guarantees their dominance for an extended period of time.

Just a known bug. It would be good to know what causes it (through PM :P )

At 8/18/09 11:12 PM, KrevZabijak wrote: How come, when a review is left, it's immediately labeled as "People aren't in agreement over whether this is helpful or not."

Hasn't been tweaked yet. I guess in time it'll be sorted.

BBS Signature
ReNaeNae
ReNaeNae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-08-25 23:05:28 Reply

At 8/25/09 07:50 PM, EJR wrote: I have a question about scouting people.
What's going on here?

It's a glitch... if a user has any deleted art, it counts towards their 4. Admin is aware of it and hopefully it will get fixed ...eventually lol :P

TiberiumCrystalKutu
TiberiumCrystalKutu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Gamer
Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-08-29 05:50:49 Reply

Okay, what the hell, yesterday l got my SECOND scout notification but l still can't see my fucking atr on the portal...and l can't see my vote buttons and it still says that l need 4 works to be scouted, even if l have about 9.
And no, l didn't receive any unscout notification and there is no reason for un-scouting me since l didn't steal any art..
What the hell is going on here?

KrevZabijak
KrevZabijak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Melancholy
Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-08-29 06:00:29 Reply

Art by TiberiumCrystalKutu Scout this user?

You're unscouted. If you don't believe your art isn't portal worthy, then:

Someone above you got unscouted, or someone you scouted got unscouted.
It's been repeated 2,546 times since the portal opened.

Sheizenhammer
Sheizenhammer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-08-29 23:43:45 Reply

Am I right in thinking that crappy MS paint jobs are OK as long as they don't find their way onto the art portal main page? Or are they to be flagged regardless of where they are?

ReNaeNae
ReNaeNae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-08-30 03:00:12 Reply

At 8/29/09 05:50 AM, TiberiumCrystalKutu wrote: What the hell is going on here?

Again, there is no record of you being scouted or unscouted (at least not in the last week).

At 8/29/09 11:43 PM, Sheizenhammer wrote: Am I right in thinking that crappy MS paint jobs are OK as long as they don't find their way onto the art portal main page?

Yes. Sadly, as long as it doesn't break the rules, you can put whatever kind of garbage you want on your user page by unchecking the "Public Works?" option.

TiberiumCrystalKutu
TiberiumCrystalKutu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Gamer
Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-08-30 09:44:25 Reply

At 8/30/09 03:00 AM, ReNaeNae wrote: Again, there is no record of you being scouted or unscouted (at least not in the last week).

What?But l got scouted on the last week, l still have the PM...
But l didn't get any kind of unscouting notification...and really, how do we unscout someone if his art doesn't break any rules?Don't we ought to give a motive or something?

ReNaeNae
ReNaeNae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-08-30 12:47:05 Reply

At 8/30/09 09:44 AM, TiberiumCrystalKutu wrote: What?But l got scouted on the last week, l still have the PM...
But l didn't get any kind of unscouting notification...and really, how do we unscout someone if his art doesn't break any rules?Don't we ought to give a motive or something?

Who scouted you? Maybe they were unscouted... or someone above them (our records only go back a week, so I have no way of knowing). That, and I'm not completely sure how the notification system even works. My guess is it only notifies the person that is cut, not any of their scouts. I'll have to check on that and get back to you (unless someone else knows?!)

IDuDe
IDuDe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-08-30 17:08:20 Reply

I'm not sure if this question was already answered, but can I get un-scouted if the person that scouted me broke the rules, or if one of my scouts broke the rules?

Only Apples Have The Right To be Red
MY DEVIANTART GALLERY

Zyphonee
Zyphonee
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-08-30 17:14:09 Reply

Recently, I suddenly lost my soutership without breaking any of the rules, dunno what happened, help?

KrevZabijak
KrevZabijak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Melancholy
Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-08-30 17:17:04 Reply

At 8/30/09 05:14 PM, Zyphonee wrote: Recently, I suddenly lost my soutership without breaking any of the rules, dunno what happened, help?

Art by Zyphonee
Scouted by Aryk

Of course, Aryk is a DD alt, so... I don't know what to tell you.

TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-08-30 18:02:14 Reply

At 8/30/09 05:08 PM, IDuDe wrote: I'm not sure if this question was already answered, but can I get un-scouted if the person that scouted me broke the rules

Yes. Like the twigs on a snipped off branch, you'll come off.

or if one of my scouts broke the rules?

Depends, it's subjective to who you've scouted, and the moderator.
If they've broken the rules, like posting stolen art that isn't obvious, or takes the piss, I'd say you were safe.
If you're reckless and moronic with scouting (such as scouting somebody with Picasso paintings, and posts 10 seconds scribbles) then you're prob gonna be unscouted.

At 8/30/09 05:14 PM, Zyphonee wrote: Recently, I suddenly lost my soutership without breaking any of the rules, dunno what happened, help?

Unless I'm mistaken, I reckon whoever scouted you got snipped.

BBS Signature
Aryk
Aryk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-08-30 18:22:16 Reply

At 8/30/09 05:17 PM, KrevZabijak wrote:
Art by Zyphonee
Scouted by Aryk

Of course, Aryk is a DD alt, so... I don't know what to tell you.

Why wasn't I informed about this?

Eunosphere
Eunosphere
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-08-30 21:27:47 Reply

I know you're technically not supposed to ask to be scouted, but how else am I going to get my art into the portal? I mean, my art may not be the best by any means, but it seems rather insane that it should be locked onto my user page when I've seen a few TOTAL CRAP art make it into the portal... It's kind of annoying to say the least.

I don't see the problem with asking anyway, at least if your art truly meets the standards of the NG art portal there shouldn't be an issue. I think those that ask simply risk a penalty if they abuse that priviledge, and that 'abuse' is the result of asking (multiple times) to have CRAP art scouted.

So, I'm going to ask someone to first view my art, and decide if it's worth being scouted. Thanks.

TheSilentWolf
TheSilentWolf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-08-30 22:50:12 Reply

This question is pretty much directed to any mod....

glares at nae

If your unscouted can you be scouted once again or are you just permanently banned from the art portal?

NGReviewEater
NGReviewEater
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-08-31 02:15:27 Reply

At 8/30/09 09:27 PM, Eunosphere wrote: I know you're technically not supposed to ask to be scouted, but how else am I going to get my art into the portal? I mean, my art may not be the best by any means, but it seems rather insane that it should be locked onto my user page when I've seen a few TOTAL CRAP art make it into the portal... It's kind of annoying to say the least.

Put it in your signature (well you already did that) and say "View & Review my art please". That's one method.

Another method is to try the Review Request Club (can't find the link).

I don't see the problem with asking anyway, at least if your art truly meets the standards of the NG art portal there shouldn't be an issue. I think those that ask simply risk a penalty if they abuse that priviledge, and that 'abuse' is the result of asking (multiple times) to have CRAP art scouted.

It's VERY similar to ask Wade to make him make you a mod; the fear of the abuse of power given.

Besides, I have seen users that have lost motivation to post to the art portal with the loose scouting system being abused. If more people ask, then it means that they want to abuse the feature and that will result in less contributors in the art portal. Like I said, the scouting system is crap.

At 8/30/09 10:50 PM, TheSilentWolf wrote: This question is pretty much directed to any mod....

glares at nae

This is kind of creepy (to some extent)...

If your unscouted can you be scouted once again or are you just permanently banned from the art portal?

You can be scouted again if you are unscouted. Only Wade I believe can permanently ban you from the Art Portal (but only if you repeatedly break the rules). Besides, I bet nobody would scout rule-breakers.

In short, yes you can be scouted again.

TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-08-31 04:30:05 Reply

At 8/30/09 09:27 PM, Eunosphere wrote: I know you're technically not supposed to ask to be scouted, but how else am I going to get my art into the portal?

What ReviewEater suggested is a great way of getting your art noticed without posting a thread. Blog pages and messages on front page also help.

... chiefly, the reason you're not getting scouted is that you have 3 submissions, when the current minimum requirement is 4.

Scouting Abuse
If you think there's abuse of the scouting system, if you think somebody's submissions don't warrant scouting, or you just want some clarifications, either post a link/screenshot in the
Art Portal Patrol Thread for discussion/correction, or check with an IM to an art mod.

When somebody simply says it's abused, we're feeling lost, and thinking, "What? Hm? What have we missed? What are we doing wrong?"

BBS Signature
Zytemarre
Zytemarre
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-08-31 15:14:41 Reply

First off i would like to say KUDOS TO "RENAENAE" for all the work. I've noticed all the work you do. All the reading and linking and telling people over and over th same thing.

Ok here's my situation. During the past 4 days, i've been getting low votes on my art. On my "news" post, i left a response to those votes, mentioning to leave a review and tell me wuts up with the art. Nothing so far. No reviews, just low votes. I have not mantioned to leave a review for the low score yet, which i should do,but anyways.

Is there a way to check who votes? Just so i can msg them requesting a reason for the low vote.
My Artz

Yeah i need to work on a signature...maybe i'll borrow yours for now.

ornery
ornery
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Artist
Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-08-31 18:20:48 Reply

At 8/30/09 09:27 PM, Eunosphere wrote: I've seen a few TOTAL CRAP art make it into the portal... It's kind of annoying to say the least.

It doesnt really matter if you see crap in the art portal because chances are that it wont be there for long. Just because a 10 second stick figure drawing got in because someone scouted the artist, doesnt mean that it is acceptable work, or something to use as a comparisson. Just keep in mind that 99% of the time that 10 second stick figure will be removed pretty damn quick. So unless you are seeing the same piece of crap that HAS NOT BEEN REMOVED (if it keeps getting taken down and put back up that dosent count) then dont worry about it.

At 8/30/09 10:50 PM, TheSilentWolf wrote: This question is pretty much directed to any mod....

Yes you can always be rescouted as long as you have 4 pieces and are not BANNED. And as long as you dont get caught stealing stuff or breaking any rules you shouldnt have to worry about being banned.

ReNaeNae
ReNaeNae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-08-31 18:28:20 Reply

At 8/31/09 03:14 PM, Zytemarre wrote: First off i would like to say KUDOS TO "RENAENAE" for all the work.

lol, thanks for noticing :D ...but I'm just one of many and I think ALL the mods deserve some recognition for their efforts. They do a lot of stuff that users don't see. *applause* woOt!!!

Is there a way to check who votes? Just so i can msg them requesting a reason for the low vote.

No, there's no way to check who votes. Just keep encouraging people to leave reviews in your author comments, and try asking in the Review Request Club thread.

Eunosphere
Eunosphere
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-09-06 14:37:23 Reply

At 8/31/09 04:30 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
At 8/30/09 09:27 PM, Eunosphere wrote: I know you're technically not supposed to ask to be scouted, but how else am I going to get my art into the portal?
What ReviewEater suggested is a great way of getting your art noticed without posting a thread. Blog pages and messages on front page also help.

... chiefly, the reason you're not getting scouted is that you have 3 submissions, when the current minimum requirement is 4.

I've just uploaded my 4th entry. It'd be nice if someone would check... Thanks for the advice by the way.

HeavyTank
HeavyTank
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-09-07 10:03:05 Reply

Wtf..l didn't upload a thing for nearly 3 months and suddenly l get unscouted!
And at the exact same time ask Tiberium!Also, lots of other users wer eunscouted in the same period.
Personally l think that this is a system problem/error, because unscouting someone without even telling them (and, by extension, without you know WHY) is not very probable to happen...especially when l couldn't possibly break any rules since l haven't submitted anything new...
This sucks, who knows if l can get scouted again..and l say "can get", not "will get"...

TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-09-07 10:19:36 Reply

At 9/7/09 10:03 AM, HeavyTank wrote: Wtf..l didn't upload a thing for nearly 3 months and suddenly l get unscouted!
And at the exact same time ask Tiberium!Also, lots of other users wer eunscouted in the same period.

To quote Dobio:
"A moderator got his account compromised ... and basically 'pruned' the portal."

The admins are fixing this, but atm all I can suggest is if the scouting trees can't be restored to their former glory, is to have some new art to bump your collection in the scouted section. Maybe have a stab at the NG Calendar 2010.

I'm sorry this has happened, and I feel your pain.

BBS Signature
HeavyTank
HeavyTank
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-09-07 13:09:18 Reply

At 9/7/09 10:19 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: To quote Dobio:
"A moderator got his account compromised ... and basically 'pruned' the portal."

Fuuuuck...that's why..

The admins are fixing this, but atm all I can suggest is if the scouting trees can't be restored to their former glory, is to have some new art to bump your collection in the scouted section. Maybe have a stab at the NG Calendar 2010.

Oh, l have no problem in creating something new, especially it if will get me rescouted :D
Thanks for your help, l feel better now.

I'm sorry this has happened, and I feel your pain.

:3

TiberiumCrystalKutu
TiberiumCrystalKutu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Gamer
Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-09-07 13:54:44 Reply

At 9/7/09 10:19 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:

I hope that only this is the problem. Anyway, I will make something new to get rescouted.

Trash-Man-1
Trash-Man-1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Musician
Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-09-08 11:06:20 Reply

I know the issues that happened and know why I was unscouted the first time, but I was rescouted on the 7th, but later that day, I was unscouted again. Is this still because of the issues, or was it for real this time? I really don't think my art sucks or breaks the rules.

So, if I did get unscouted, is it possible to get scouted again?

KrevZabijak
KrevZabijak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Melancholy
Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-09-08 12:01:33 Reply

At 9/8/09 11:06 AM, Trash-Man-1 wrote:
So, if I did get unscouted, is it possible to get scouted again?

Yes.

Zanroth
Zanroth
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Artist
Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-09-08 17:30:08 Reply

I have one.
Is there a limited to the amount of people you can scout on a daily basis?