00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

xo1029392 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread

19,199 Views | 129 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Feel free to ask any and all Art Portal related questions here.

From the Help/FAQ - Submitting Art section:

this may change from time to time, so check the link for the most current info.

Q: Why doesn't my art appear instantly in the Art Portal like it does in the Flash Portal?

A: Art will appear instantly on your user page, but you will need to be scouted by an approved artist before your art appears in the Art Portal. These "approved artists" aren't necessarily moderators, merely fellow artists who are already members of the Art Portal themselves.

Q: How do I get scouted?

A: Do NOT ask to be scouted! Do not ask in the Forums or send the staff a Private Message about being scouted as these will only hurt your chances. Just submit at least FOUR pieces of QUALITY art and be patient, someone will find you! Every single person with art in the Art Portal has the ability to scout others, so there will be a lot of people with their eyes peeled for great submissions.

Q: Once scouted, can I lose my ability to scout others?

A: Yes, if you scout people who don't take the Art Portal seriously, you may lose your ability to scout further people. You will still be able to submit your own art for as long as you remain scouted.

Q: Can I be unscouted?

A: If you break the rules or simply submit bad art - stick drawings, circles and squares, etc. - you will be unscouted. Your bad art will remain on your user page but art that breaks the rules will be removed.

Q: What are the rules for the Art Portal?

A: The rules are:
# No photographs! We recognize photography as an artistic endeavor, but we're not including it in our Art Portal.
# You must be the owner and creator of the work you are submitting.
# Racist or hateful material will be removed.
# Illegal material will be removed.
# We try to be tolerant, but reserve the right to draw the line on adult material. In general, funny stuff gets a pass but downright pervert-bate may cross the line.

Q: No photographs? What about a photo of a painting I did in real life?

A: A photograph of a sculpture, painting, or some other piece of art you have made are in fact exceptions to this rule. Feel free to submit scans and photographs of your art if it's not already in a digital format.

Q: Do animated .gifs count as art?

A: Only animated .gifs that YOU have created may be submitted. Do not upload animated .gifs that you have gleaned from the Internet, as the Art Portal is not your personal storage space for things you find funny.

Q: What about art created using a tutorial of some kind?

A: If you created a piece of art by following a tutorial, please refrain from posting it. The Art Portal is for artistic endeavors, not images created by following a set of instructions. Tutorials are a great way to learn to draw but their final products aren't necessarily art, they are merely your copies.

Q: What do I do if I discover art that breaks the rules?

A: Please use the "Report Abuse" link underneath each artwork to report art that breaks the rules. Moderators will review every complaint and delete the offending submissions.

Q: I'm not an artist, can I still help discover talent?

A: On every unscouted artwork page, where the vote bar usually appears, there is a link to "Recommend [a user] for the Art Portal". Clicking that link helps move an artist up the "Most Recommended" list available to scouted artists in the private "Unscouted Art" section.

...and remember, sketches, doodles, wip's, etc, do NOT belong in the portal and may be deleted. You can post them on your user page only by leaving the 'public work?' option unchecked.

Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-07-15 19:19:34

Thank you for this.

Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-07-15 20:11:57

At 7/15/09 07:32 PM, Yrtnej wrote: My question: Why can't we have an "Under Judgement" or "Recently Submitted" in the art portal as well?

We have an unscouted section which is only viewable to scouted users so they can scout others

It's too difficult and tedious to try and find some one with good art by looking on userpages. It would be a ton simpler to rate it like we would normally, and if they have good art we can scout them via the "Under Judgement." That way, everything is piled into one big entity instead of splitting it up into so small pieces no one wants to find whoever is artsy.

The goal of the art portal is not to make it turn into the shit hole known as deviant art. I don't want to see every piece-a-crap submitted in the portal and if someone really wants to show their art work, they can make a separate thread in the art forum. As long as the work is decent, the artist is trying and is willing to get better.

|_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_|

Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-07-15 20:28:28

I've noticed a few artworks that were part photograph, part original drawing. Are those still against the rules when it comes to 'no photos'?

Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-07-15 21:24:45

third times the charm!! lmao!!
At 7/15/09 07:19 PM, CalvinGodly wrote: Thank you for this.

Better late than never, right! ;)

At 7/15/09 07:32 PM, Yrtnej wrote: My question: Why can't we have an "Under Judgement" or "Recently Submitted" in the art portal as well?

The portal has options to sort by date, score, etc. Not sure if they plan on adding that to the unscouted section or not. Might not be a bad idea ;)

Once you've been scouted, you can view the unscouted section. They show up in the order they're submitted. If you see something you like, you can check out that user's other submissions (what's on a user page isn't necessarily in the portal).

At 7/15/09 08:28 PM, Sheizenhammer wrote: I've noticed a few artworks that were part photograph, part original drawing. Are those still against the rules when it comes to 'no photos'?

Flat out photographs are not allowed (unless they're of a drawing, sculpture, etc). Pics with a few filters/effects applied to them (anything an app can do with a couple clicks) should also stay out of the portal (you can put 'em on your page though). And, last I heard... photo comps/manipulations aren't supposed to be in the portal either. BUT... if it's part of a piece that has actual drawn stuff too ...we might let it slide (confusing, I know!!) I guess if you run across anything that you're completely unsure of, you could post a link here or pm an art portal mod (help/faq > moderators).

thanks fleshlight! <3

Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-07-15 23:01:15

Thank you. : )
I'm fine with sitting tight for a while.
I just wanted to make sure somebody knew.

And you should make this thread a sticky so it's easy to find. :B

Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-07-15 23:16:00

Great idea, I was wondering when someone was going to start this. Hopefully it will reduce the amount of redundant questions we get in the WI/HT forum about the art portal lol.

Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-07-16 03:20:28

At 7/15/09 06:00 PM, ReNaeNae wrote: the answer to my prayers

*swoon*

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-07-16 03:29:33

Could a User take a piece of art from the portal, modify it from its original being to the users own liking, and resubmit it as his own?

If you are reading this, it means I have posted. Whether or not I am still posting, this has left its mark, for many years to come.

BBS Signature

Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-07-16 04:01:32

iv had a few questions asked about Photo shop artwork... where does newgrounds stand with this?... from what i feel... images that have been changed slightly do not count as artwork seen as they are just photos that have been enchanced... if i could get a mod or *higher up in the world of newgrounds* person to confirm photoshop images in the art portal or not... seen as its a bit of a grey area... its neather a photo (anymore as such) nor orginal artwork (drawn from scratch)... thanks

BBS Signature

Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-07-16 04:22:34

sorry for DP... :P

and while im asking... i had a problem with been scouted / unscouted... i was scouted but someone up the line got unscouted and thus meaning i got unscouted... i got scouted again but a few days later... all my artwork disapeared of the art portal and i aparently showed up in the unscouted area along with some other users... i asked some nice mods in the art fourm to help me out and they got me unscouted and rescouted and that worked... however theres still a handfull of users in the artportal with the same problem... just take one of the people i orginaly scouted before we all got unscouted... Mrew ... her work is scouted but she is still in the unscouted area and non of her work shows up in the art portal... but like i said shes not the only one... iv been through the unscouted block a few times and found a fair few users who are scouted but apear in there anway... im not sure if it was a early glitch but i think this problem needs to be adressed... :3

BBS Signature

Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-07-16 04:50:34

At 7/16/09 03:29 AM, jmalouin7 wrote: Could a User take a piece of art from the portal, modify it from its original being to the users own liking, and resubmit it as his own?

General rule: No.

I don't count colouring in linework (unless it's Razac standard, where there's clearly a lot of work gone into painting) and brush-buggered stuff like signatures. Line work alterations are also really minor.

This stuff we'll either shift to your user page, or delete it.

If you INSIST, and think your alterations GREATLY, GREATLY improve the original for gawd's sake, POST A LINK TO THE ORIGINAL, give the original artist credit. If you don't, don't be surprised to find it deleted.

If a mod thinks you haven't done significantly enough, it will be shifted or deleted.

At 7/16/09 04:01 AM, LegolaSS wrote: iv had a few questions asked about Photo shop artwork... where does newgrounds stand with this?...

Delete 'em. Post them in the Photography thread.
Photoshops like this are safe, since it's an entirely new image, with some tweaking.
Photoshops like this are just bog standard melding of two images, and will be deleted.

And for completeness ...

At 7/16/09 04:22 AM, LegolaSS wrote: just take one of the people i orginaly scouted before we all got unscouted... Mrew ... her work is scouted but she is still in the unscouted area and non of her work shows up in the art portal... but like i said shes not the only one.
i think this problem needs to be adressed... :3

Yeah, I agree.

BBS Signature

Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-07-16 06:26:54

Thanks ReN. Hopefully there will be less 'SCOUT MEZZ!!!' threads now that this is up.

We had some good times, Newgrounds.

BBS Signature

Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-07-16 17:40:49

Well, I guess this blows my Art Portal User Guide out of the water

Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-07-18 13:47:31

At 7/16/09 05:40 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: Well, I guess this blows my Art Portal User Guide out of the water

Nah, your thread has a bunch of useful information in it. You should post a link here so more people can see it.

At 7/17/09 09:31 AM, Echo-Konosko wrote: I have a question is there a way to unscout someone you have scouted? Just incase i start to see some rule breaking i want to prevent a chain of art related death

This is why it's so important to be careful with your scouting privileges! Only scout users you are familiar with or completely sure of. If you don't know them, check them out thoroughly before you claim responsibility for them... because what they post, and who they scout will be a direct reflection on your judgment as well. And once you scout them, you're stuck with them.

As it stands, the people they've scouted have things that will be kicked out of the portal, but no major rules have been broken. If that changes, it will be dealt with accordingly. Whether or not you'll be effected by it depends entirely on the quality of your other scouts, as well as your own art.

Think before you scout!!! (I just made that up!)

Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-07-18 14:38:48

At 7/18/09 01:47 PM, ReNaeNae wrote: Think before you scout!!! (I just made that up!)

Oh Nae you're so clever

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-07-18 19:42:43

At 7/15/09 09:24 PM, ReNaeNae wrote:

And, last I heard... photo comps/manipulations aren't supposed to be in the portal either.

Does that mean that all of this guy's art should be removed? All of it looks like it was made with Photoshop (and most of them have pictures from around the web in them too).

Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-07-18 20:55:51

At 7/18/09 07:42 PM, Sheizenhammer wrote:
At 7/15/09 09:24 PM, ReNaeNae wrote:
And, last I heard... photo comps/manipulations aren't supposed to be in the portal either.

Does that mean that all of this guy's art should be removed? All of it looks like it was made with Photoshop (and most of them have pictures from around the web in them too).

He hasn't been scouted yet, so it was never in the portal, but you are correct... stuff like that is not allowed. Good catch! ;)

Also, if anyone is interested in helping out with inappropriate content like the above, check out the Art Portal Patrol over in c&c :D

Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-07-23 01:55:45

When you are scouted, people canr ank your flash with 0-5. if you get unscouted from the art portal, then scouted again, does that piece of art lose its previous rating? or does it hold over?

If you are reading this, it means I have posted. Whether or not I am still posting, this has left its mark, for many years to come.

BBS Signature

Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-07-23 03:40:46

Why can't we see our art reviews?

Roses are Red, Violets are Blue, Rape.

BBS Signature

Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-07-23 04:30:59

At 7/23/09 01:55 AM, jmalouin7 wrote: If you get unscouted from the art portal, then scouted again, does that piece of art lose its previous rating? or does it hold over?

Yup, it holds.

At 7/23/09 03:40 AM, Psychophobia wrote: Why can't we see our art reviews?

Feature hasn't been added yet, give those smarty-pants admins a chance.

BBS Signature

Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-07-24 05:47:56

At 7/15/09 06:00 PM, ReNaeNae wrote: # We try to be tolerant, but reserve the right to draw the line on adult material. In general, funny stuff gets a pass but downright pervert-bate may cross the line.

Why is there a line on adult material, this is Newgrounds and the only lines are illegal and racist. I've seen some exceptionally great works that were ruined by the author censoring it because they had them removed once or was afraid they would be removed. Adult material is art too no matter how explicit it is.

I find that like telling ZONE-SAMA that he/she couldn't post anymore hentai parodies.

JUNE 28, 2009. RIP BILLY MAYS. THE LEGEND, THE GOD, THE BILLY MAYS.

Current Medal Score 49220. Ranked:90th +12

BBS Signature

Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-07-24 18:02:08

At 7/24/09 05:47 AM, SevasTra wrote: Adult material is art too no matter how explicit it is.

Go check it out on another site. There's loads of that bilge about if you care to look for it.

BBS Signature

Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-07-24 21:48:38

Stamper puts in a lot of adult content in his art but they're not as much sexual as they are grotesque and freaky.

I like the "we don't want this to be a hentai gallery" explanation in the art forum rules. Do you really want to see the portal turn into a jerking off haven?

|_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_|

Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-07-25 03:02:23

At 7/24/09 09:48 PM, Fleshlight wrote: Stamper puts in a lot of adult content in his art but they're not as much sexual as they are grotesque and freaky.
Do you really want to see the portal turn into a jerking off haven?

Gah, wish I said this now.

At 7/25/09 02:21 AM, acearrows341 wrote: I would Like some help good sirs,
1.is there a limit to daily art portal posts?
2.Can i scan IRL sketches and post them?

1. Nope.
2. The art portal is for finished works only, so no.

BBS Signature

Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-07-25 09:15:37

At 7/25/09 04:27 AM, acearrows341 wrote: Pardon my french good sir

Is this meant to be witty humour?

but my good friend alessa tells me that you can upload to your profile and ask not to submit it to the art portal,beith this true?

You can. Make sure you don't make it public.

BBS Signature

Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-07-25 12:09:30

At 7/25/09 09:15 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
At 7/25/09 04:27 AM, acearrows341 wrote: but my good friend alessa tells me that you can upload to your profile and ask not to submit it to the art portal,beith this true?
You can. Make sure you don't make it public.

...and by "don't make it public", turkey doesn't means that it's a secret and you shouldn't tell anyone... in fact, you should tell everyone!

Leave the "Public Works?" box UNCHECKED to post things on your userpage and NOT in the portal.

...as I said in the very first post of this thread :/

Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-07-29 10:32:58

At 7/29/09 10:06 AM, Dexter3000 wrote: why are pencil sketches not allowed in the portal?

well there is plenty of pencil sketches in the portal... the thing they mean by this is doodles... unfinished sketches... works made from just pencil is fine as long as its good quality and artists... sending in unfinished sketches and the like are not usefull to anyone on the portal and should either be used in the artfourm to become better at areas of your art work or just kept to yourself untill you are at a stage where you can complete artwork to a really good standard... athough, i could have the wrong end of the stick on this one...

BBS Signature

Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-07-29 10:45:27

At 7/29/09 10:39 AM, Dexter3000 wrote: are hopefully worthy of the Portal.

um... i mean... like this sort of quality

BBS Signature

Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-07-29 11:18:55

At 7/29/09 10:48 AM, Dexter3000 wrote:
At 7/29/09 10:45 AM, LegolaSS wrote:
um... i mean... like this sort of quality
Yeah.but i don't draw manga.

he said QUALITY and style