00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

wilwz just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Best place to buy hardware?

939 Views | 12 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Best place to buy hardware? 2009-07-14 21:05:48

A friend of mine let me use his Nord Wave for a week, and now i cant stop thinking about it...
I want to get one so badly. The prices I find online are all over the place... any where between 2k - 4k, and i would have to pay 14% tax on top of that,

My local music store can get me one for 2800. that is the price he pays to get it in the store with out any profit, and he said he could give me that price because I did my Co-Op there and that is where i have made all my purchases, If he where to sell it to a normal coustomer at profit it would be $3500. wow. but that price is well over some of the prices i find on the internet.

so, What should i do. pay an extra 600 bucks to buy local and from a good friend, or sell out and get it cheeper online. and if so, what site has good service and all that stuff?

I Stopped A Rape!!!

" If music is an art, let your car be the canvas, "

BBS Signature

Response to Best place to buy hardware? 2009-07-14 21:33:39

At 7/14/09 09:05 PM, mariomusicmaker1 wrote: so, What should i do. pay an extra 600 bucks to buy local and from a good friend, or sell out and get it cheeper online. and if so, what site has good service and all that stuff?

Eh. Never a bad idea to maintain local relationships, but for online retailers I recommend musician's friend.

Response to Best place to buy hardware? 2009-07-14 23:08:06

I say get if off ebay. It may be used but hey its better than paying full price.

Response to Best place to buy hardware? 2009-07-15 01:17:18

actually guitar center is one of the WORST. My suggestions

musicgoround.com
roguemusic.com
sweetwater.com (for new stuff)

I have bought most of my vintage gear from Rogue Music, including my Roland TR909, Andromeda A6, and various other items.

2800 for a Nord Wave, what an overpriced price for a digital machine. You can buy a new Andromeda for that price.

Get a Jupiter 8. even I would envy you if you did.

Response to Best place to buy hardware? 2009-07-15 01:22:16

Get a Jupiter 8. even I would envy you if you did.

Well i already have a roland 808, and i was hoping to move away from roland for some more diverse sounds, but i will definintly check it out, thanks for the suggestion.

I Stopped A Rape!!!

BBS Signature

Response to Best place to buy hardware? 2009-07-15 01:31:36

You mean TR808, as in the original boom bap machine, or the MC808?

ones like wine that has been aged well, while the other is like cheap bud light.

Response to Best place to buy hardware? 2009-07-15 01:41:48

I tend to not like nords for the fact that they sound plastic as hell. I mean softsynths can do circles around them, I hate to say that.

Scratch the Jupiter 8 idea, Try a Macbeth M5N if you got 4-5 grand burning a hole in your pocket. I would have got one but I opted for a Dot Com modular and TR909 instead.

you wouldnt believe what used vintage analog is going for these days, its insane.

Response to Best place to buy hardware? 2009-07-15 01:53:37

At 7/15/09 01:41 AM, architecture wrote: I tend to not like nords for the fact that they sound plastic as hell. I mean softsynths can do circles around them, I hate to say that.

Scratch the Jupiter 8 idea, Try a Macbeth M5N if you got 4-5 grand burning a hole in your pocket. I would have got one but I opted for a Dot Com modular and TR909 instead.

you wouldnt believe what used vintage analog is going for these days, its insane.

Ehh its an Mc-808, I kinda rushed into buying it after trying it out at the store, I am satisfied with it, but it seems like a lot of wasted potential. But the drums are all great and that is all that matters to me,

Any way, the Macbeth M5N looks fucking amazing, but there is no way in hell i can get one of those,
After listening to a few of the tracks i threw together on the wave, i would have to disagree with you, i think it has a very rich sound that far surpases any thing i have herd in a DAW, I was using my kp3 as an equlizer tho, i didnt listen to it dry at all.

any way, thanks for the further sugestions. now i have no idea what to buy :(

I Stopped A Rape!!!

BBS Signature

Response to Best place to buy hardware? 2009-07-15 13:35:16

I am now starting to consider getting a new roland Di, Cant find a price on it yet, but it sounds cool, and i am asuming it will be cheeper then a nord.

I Stopped A Rape!!!

BBS Signature

Response to Best place to buy hardware? 2009-07-15 13:37:04

uhh i mean roland juno Di.

lol triple post.

I Stopped A Rape!!!

BBS Signature

Response to Best place to buy hardware? 2009-07-15 13:49:02

Well, I don't know of any places to buy hardware. The only spot where I live is Guitar Center...

I got my Axiom 49 Special Edition Red there. I looked at the price on the M-Audio site and it was a lot cheaper on the site than in GC.

Response to Best place to buy hardware? 2009-07-15 19:01:43

The thing with me is I have been around soo much analog that alot of things digital sound thin to me. My experience with Nord pretty much was the Nord Lead 2X, that was god awfully thin. When your used to hearing things coming from Moogs, modulars, TR909s and 303s, and the Alesis A6, its hard for digital to hold a candle to that, in the warmth department especially.

If the Nord Wave wasnt so expensive, id buy it. It definitely intrigues me as a interesting digital synth.

Response to Best place to buy hardware? 2009-07-16 04:46:02

CRAIGSLIST! CRAIGSLIST! If you live near a semi-large city it's a great place to find various equipment including mixers mics interfaces and midi keyboards.