00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

wilwz just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Technoverload

1,906 Views | 32 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Technoverload 2009-07-08 20:03:32

I'd like to state the obvious for a moment, and say that the AP is pretty oversaturated with techno and trance. I expect as much, from a group of people who probably play/write games for a living.

However, I'd like to take some time now, to encourage all the artists out there, to step away from the horribly overdone techno and trance genres, and try out something else.

I don't know how you all feel about this, so post away I suppose...but personally I'm a little disappointed how so many of the other genres of music get ignored in favor of techno and trance. That's not to say that techno and trance are bad; I actually think they're awesome. But let's try something new once in a while, k? K.

If you ~must~ make techno, at least do something that doesn't sound like something we've all heard before...as impossible as that sounds.

Support a local composer. All you need to contribute is $10.00 per hour, for sixty years.

Or, you could just visit a profile page and rate/review stuff. Hint-ety hint hint.

Response to Technoverload 2009-07-08 20:11:00

The whole point of being an "artist" is to make your music what you want to make it.

If you don't want to hear trance or techno, go and make some metal or something.

Truth is, there's a lot of EDM here because a lot of the people here listen to EDM, and did so before they started making music.
There's the odd artist who'll record a rock track and stuff, and there are definitely some good rock songs in the portal, without a doubt. But the time and money for a trance producer to get a guitar, learn to play guitar, get recording equipment to record guitar, learn a genre they're not as familiar with inside-out, and then produce that, is just ridiculous.

Response to Technoverload 2009-07-08 20:12:27

Okay. I don't make techno or trance, but who the fuck are you to come into this forum and tell people to make different music?

There's a huge amount of non-electronic music if you're willing to look for it. A huge portion of the artists here are exclusively electronic musicians, which has something to do with the skew towards the electronic genres (making orchestral music on the computer gets expensive quick, as well as tremendously involved.) There are, however, a number of excellent classical and semi-classical composers.

There's also a wide variety of talented rock/metal artists.

Response to Technoverload 2009-07-08 20:16:29

At 7/8/09 08:11 PM, DexterPowercrush wrote: The whole point of being an "artist" is to make your music what you want to make it.

If you don't want to hear trance or techno, go and make some metal or something.

Truth is, there's a lot of EDM here because a lot of the people here listen to EDM, and did so before they started making music.
There's the odd artist who'll record a rock track and stuff, and there are definitely some good rock songs in the portal, without a doubt. But the time and money for a trance producer to get a guitar, learn to play guitar, get recording equipment to record guitar, learn a genre they're not as familiar with inside-out, and then produce that, is just ridiculous.

<_< Of course someone with an entire studio or set up dedicated to making trance isn't going to change genres. I never insinuated that...

I do indeed write my own music, in genres other than techno/trance, and I'm hoping to encourage others who can, to do the same rather than just outputting more stuff we've pretty much all heard before. That's all.

Support a local composer. All you need to contribute is $10.00 per hour, for sixty years.

Or, you could just visit a profile page and rate/review stuff. Hint-ety hint hint.

Response to Technoverload 2009-07-08 20:17:11

At 7/8/09 08:16 PM, SoulRed12 wrote: I do indeed write my own music, in genres other than techno/trance, and I'm hoping to encourage others who can, to do the same rather than just outputting more stuff we've pretty much all heard before. That's all.

I say again. Who the fuck are you to tell people to change how they write music?

Response to Technoverload 2009-07-08 20:20:24

I say again. Who the fuck are you to tell people to change how they write music?

*sigh* And I say again, I never TOLD people to change how they write music. I only meant to encourage people to try something new. Please reread my post, and you'll see this is true. Otherwise you can quote the part where I TELL people to make different music.

I didn't intend this to offend anyone, and I don't see why it would. Again, as I also already stated, I enjoy techno, but I'd personally like to hear more of something different. If you don't like what I'm saying, well then...ignore it?

Response to Technoverload 2009-07-08 20:21:50

At 7/8/09 08:20 PM, SoulRed12 wrote: I didn't intend this to offend anyone, and I don't see why it would. Again, as I also already stated, I enjoy techno, but I'd personally like to hear more of something different. If you don't like what I'm saying, well then...ignore it?

It's unreasonable to wander into a forum full of people who primarily produce one genre of music, and say 'hey guys, why don't you make something else?'

People make the music they make because that's what they enjoy and have fun producing.

Response to Technoverload 2009-07-08 20:29:57

you are not a shepard
we can sound like anybody else, whatever that means, they dont own those sounds

Response to Technoverload 2009-07-08 20:32:40

At 7/8/09 08:21 PM, loansindi wrote: It's unreasonable to wander into a forum full of people who primarily produce one genre of music, and say 'hey guys, why don't you make something else?'

I'm not entirely sure why, but if that is indeed how most of the people who write all the techno feel, then I guess my efforts are futile regardless of my pure intentions. Oh well.

Response to Technoverload 2009-07-08 20:32:43

and the vast majority have their "own sound"
give me a random audio portal track by a bbser and i will be like "thats a *name* track"

you have my word

Response to Technoverload 2009-07-08 20:34:17

At 7/8/09 08:29 PM, pr0ded wrote: you are not a shepard
we can sound like anybody else, whatever that means, they dont own those sounds

Again, you are misunderstanding my first post. But I'm done with this thread anyways, so I'm not going to bother explaining it again.

Response to Technoverload 2009-07-08 20:48:43

Well I make Dubstep and House mainly, do I have to change?

COME ON.

www.myspace.com/aeliasmn for must up to date tracks. :)

BBS Signature

Response to Technoverload 2009-07-08 20:58:59

At 7/8/09 08:34 PM, SoulRed12 wrote: Again, you are misunderstanding my first post. But I'm done with this thread anyways, so I'm not going to bother explaining it again.

No. I understand. You want people who are comfortable with what they're doing to do something different.

What I don't get is why.

Response to Technoverload 2009-07-08 21:14:22

I love House music. :)

Response to Technoverload 2009-07-08 21:16:12

the audio forum which consists of some of the friendliest people on this site now hates you.......good job LOL

Response to Technoverload 2009-07-08 21:17:55

At 7/8/09 09:16 PM, SymbolCymbal wrote: the audio forum which consists of some of the friendliest people on this site now hates you.......good job LOL

Now he knows how i feel O.O

Response to Technoverload 2009-07-08 21:18:15

Illbient time...

this is gonna be AWESOME!

Yeah, I love house, but I'm gonna be going to illbient.

Nobody doesnt like smooth jazz.

Response to Technoverload 2009-07-08 21:19:56

what? so they do?

Response to Technoverload 2009-07-08 21:26:28

At 7/8/09 09:18 PM, statueofdiveo wrote: Illbient time...

this is gonna be AWESOME!

Yeah, I love house, but I'm gonna be going to illbient.

Dude I love Smooth Jazz, check this out:

Ronnie Jordan - Afterhours
Now that IS Smoth Jazz.

Response to Technoverload 2009-07-08 21:28:50

Woooooaaaahhh people calm down. He never told people to write anything. It was encouragement to try something new. It's true though that there's an oversaturation of electronic music in comparison to anything else. Let's take a look at the pages here... let's see... Punk: 32 pages... Trance: 372.

It's not an opinion guys it's a fact. There's a lot of electronic music on newgrounds in comparison to everything else. Granted, he wasn't very careful in his words. Example:

At 7/8/09 08:03 PM, SoulRed12 wrote: step away from the horribly overdone techno and trance genres, and try out something else.

The key word there was "horrible." Good job SoulRed. As objective as you attempted to sound, that one line ruined the entire thread. I agree with everything else you had to say though, so I'll pick this up as a challenge and try writing something else for a change. Really though, everyone calm the fuck down.

In the words of some guy named Led Zeplin "Communication breakdown." And yeah, I know Led Zeplin was a band. Calling it a guy was a statement.

quarl BandCamp

Response to Technoverload 2009-07-08 21:32:16

When you say Techno and Trance do you mean to tell us we cannot create anymore of the 60+ Sub-genre's that fall under both of these sections of Electronica?

Or wait, you probably didn't even know this much.

Off the top of my head Trance consists of the following sub-genres:

High Energy (HI NRG)
Classic
Progressive
Symphonic
Anthem
Break
Tech
Deep
Epic
Darkwave
Darksynth
Tribal
Hardstyle
Hardacid
Hard
Nu Style
GOA
BUTTROCK GOA
Experimental
Industrial
EBM
Coldwave
Psy

Don't make me even get started on the other 10 sections of Electronica and their Sub-Genres...

And if you're telling us to stop trying to contribute to each of these styles and their own creativity and renounced awesomeness then you should probably wake up and step out of the dogshit you call musical comprehension.

BBS Signature

Response to Technoverload 2009-07-08 21:38:10

I think the majority of all artists dont like to be told how to make their music.

Simply, He was just trying to get you guys to break out of your common ways of making music, but instead, directly attacking the "Techno" artists here on newgrounds.

The truth is, we should all do this, because that is the only way we can grow as musicians/composers. By creating music that is out of your ordinary cycle, you will in the long run, learn MORE about the style you love more (like techno for instance), and will make you become an even greater artist.

So instead of getting offended by his advice, i advise that you all take it in consideration, and try to do something different. You wont regret it, trust me.

Response to Technoverload 2009-07-08 22:16:20

At 7/8/09 09:38 PM, btriangle wrote: So instead of getting offended by his advice, i advise that you all take it in consideration, and try to do something different. You wont regret it, trust me.

it should always be a composer's goal to try new things.

however it's arrogant to wander into a community and say, 'hey, you should all try some new things.'

Response to Technoverload 2009-07-08 22:33:03

I'm skipping most of this topic because it turned into a carriage of hate.
How dare you! All of you! :(

And I'm going to breakdown the original post with answer, because I CAN! :D

At 7/8/09 08:03 PM, SoulRed12 wrote: I'd like to state the obvious for a moment, and say that the AP is pretty oversaturated with techno and trance. I expect as much, from a group of people who probably play/write games for a living.

I don't know what you meant by us being a group of people who "play/write games for a living". I hardly ever play games. And I certainly don't... write? them... :/
But yeah, there is a lot of EDM in the portal, well spotted.

However, I'd like to take some time now, to encourage all the artists out there, to step away from the horribly overdone techno and trance genres, and try out something else.

They're not horribly overdone. They're done just as much as other genres. Any other genre in fact. It's just the quality of it in the portal is much higher than the quality of most other pieces, as generally the community prefers trance.

I don't know how you all feel about this, so post away I suppose...but personally I'm a little disappointed how so many of the other genres of music get ignored in favor of techno and trance.

Other music genres don't get ignored. But as I said, the quality of the trance and dance music in the portal is far greater than most of the other stuff. Of course there's a load of shit too. Any kid with a sequencer tries to make it.

That's not to say that techno and trance are bad; I actually think they're awesome. But let's try something new once in a while, k? K.

I'm pretty sure most of the producers in this community produce more than just trance music. They don't neccessarily have to upload it to the portal, or release it at all. But that's not to say they're not make other stuff. It's like telling a hip hop group to stop making hip hop and "try something new once in a while".

If you ~must~ make techno, at least do something that doesn't sound like something we've all heard before...as impossible as that sounds.

You can say that about any genre.
And with that, especially being summarised as you did, made it sound like you were ranting on the community for only making horribly overdone generic techno music.
Which is probably why everyone started hated on you.

Response to Technoverload 2009-07-08 23:17:40

Alright, I'm seeing that my word choice was probably very poorly chosen, so let me try and clear some stuff up before I permanently retain a reputation as the community asshole (the boat for which may have already sailed...but what's done is done, so...)

Alright...

When I wrote "horribly overdone", my intended meaning of the word "horribly" was just for emphasis of "overdone", as in "more overdone than just 'overdone'." I was NOT in any way attempting to tell anyone that they or their music are horrible, as it seems to have been (admittedly, reasonably) taken. I even stated in my original post that I think techno and trance is awesome, but that I simply think it'd be beneficial for some of you guys and the AP to accommodate a bit more variety if possible in regards to equipment. So I do apologize for coming off as an ass by using that word, I should have simply said I thought it was overdone.

I also apologize if I came across as arrogant. I realize my post may have sounded rather arrogant, but the internet does indeed mask true intentions, and mine wasn't to appear as if I know more than the rest of you. I can admit it; most of the people here probably know more than me about recording and mixing/arranging music. But I do know what I can see, and I see techno and trance music taking up a lot of the Audio Portal.

I intended to provide advice to the community, which would be taken in by those who would accept it, and ignored by people who choose not to or who disagreed with me. I'm not trying to tell any of you what to do, nor did I mean to belittle anything that you have already done. My only intention, however arrogant and/or asshole-ish my original post might have sounded, was to inspire the AP community to remember to try new things rather than continue adding to the (not horribly) overdone (overdone as in, done a lot more than other genres) techno and trance genres.

If I could edit my original post, I would do so with better word choices to reflect the tone I was really intending to get across. I guess I'm used to other boards where I am more well known to not be such an asshole, so I didn't pay enough attention to what I was actually writing.

And Cross666, judging from your first sentence I can only assume all the hostility you threw my way was because you like many of the others misinterpreted my intentions. I'm not really bothered by it, since I've grown pretty thick skinned to hostile posts having moderated a few forums, but I figured I should address what you have written regardless.

Anyhoo, I am indeed aware that EVERY genre has sub-genres, and instead of listing out each of them, I instead grouped them in their parent genres for simplicity, since I was speaking about electronica though I couldn't remember the word.

It is true that skilled creators of electronica music know how to differentiate between writing for one subgenre and another, but quite honestly, a lot of the pieces that are being uploaded to the AP seem to sound very similar (at least, similar to many other songs of their particular subgenres...) and IMO it becomes uninteresting.

That's where I was coming from, and instead of continually posting that on all the music I feel is in need of that comment, I thought I'd make a thread about it instead. Unfortunately I wasn't careful and used words with negative connotations and thus began the hate storm.

And once more, just to make it clear..

Do you mean to tell us we cannot create...

Nowhere did I say (or intend to imply) that anyone CANNOT write music in those genres. People can do whatever they want, regardless of what I or anyone says or "advises".

And with that, especially being summarised as you did, made it sound like you were ranting on the community for only making horribly overdone generic techno music.

Yeah, I can see that now...if I just hadn't used that damn word "horribly", this all probably wouldn't have become nearly as a big of a problem. =/

So newgrounds audio portal community, I apologize for the offense I have given, and I hope now you all understand where I'm really coming from or at least don't hate me quite as much. I wasn't trying to troll or cause hate, and in the future I will certainly have to take word choice into account so I don't create this kind of misunderstanding again.

And with that, in an attempt to avoid causing any more damage, I'm going to log off and probably not bother posting about any of this again.

Good day all. This thread can probably be closed now, unless anyone else has something they feel needs to be said.

Response to Technoverload 2009-07-08 23:25:13

At 7/8/09 11:17 PM, SoulRed12 wrote: Good day all. This thread can probably be closed now, unless anyone else has something they feel needs to be said.

That's probably the longest apology I've ever read.
I forgive you :)
We forgive you :)

But still, I'm not hating, even if worded more politely or friendly, people won't want to compromise their art because some guy thinks it's all getting a bit same-y. That's all I can say.

Response to Technoverload 2009-07-09 00:35:12

idk why you guys get so crazy lol. i like his idea, i think it should be a contest.

but anyway on a side note here is what i have noticed.

firstly most people that like to make the other genres out there, like for instance indie or rock... well ill just say it. they have no idea in hell of to get from the instruments they play to an mp3 recording of what they can do. usually they shell out 100's of dollars just to get one song recorded professionally, even if its not necessary they just dont know any better. their idea of mixing is just to make everything louder. this is a generalization and not compliant to NG submitters

secondly to argue the counter side. ill use myself as an example. i really suck at playing instruments and feel completely schooled by guitarists and piano players who have the dexterity and muscle memory that i seem to lack and, yeah it ticks me off that i cant perform my music completely live, and that i have to program it all on theory. i think this one point kinda stumps most electronic musicians so we just continue to make the music we can make.

perhaps this might become a personal challenge now that i am reflecting on it to get better at piano.

you can forget hearing stuff from me that i might record from me playing guitar, but i will think over what you said.

cool :D

Articulation by art

Instagram @ Sequencer1

3D, Music, Dance, Make

BBS Signature

Response to Technoverload 2009-07-09 01:10:08

At 7/8/09 11:17 PM, SoulRed12 wrote:
I realize my post may have sounded rather arrogant, but the internet does indeed mask true intentions, and mine wasn't to appear as if I know more than the rest of you.

The other day I had my friend show me where the sarcastic button was on my computer. I forgot to turn it off and I sounded like an ass hole for an entire week.

Seriously though, we're dealing with text here and it's damn near impossible to pick up what the intentions of other people are. I just got into a huge argument with my ex girlfriend and I had no idea we were arguing. When I finally realized what was going on, I had to look back at what I typed with an objective point of view and apologize.

If you want, have a mod lock the thread and start over with a powerful thesis. Granted, it's kind of interesting to see what people have to say after the fact. It's even better when you get people who refuse to read the thread and think shits still stirring.

quarl BandCamp

Response to Technoverload 2009-07-09 06:03:55

At 7/8/09 08:03 PM, SoulRed12 wrote:

How about you just say "don't make shitty generic music". I hate this connection between techno/trance and shitty generic songs. How about you explore the genres, there's a lot of great songs out there.

Response to Technoverload 2009-07-09 08:07:12

Aslong Newgrounds only gives me 2 options for *house music* it indeed will get an overload... with completely non techno or trance related tracks but it simply is at it is and I am afraid that it will stay this way.

One thing which the OP forgot is that this feels like a direct attack to all Trance producers out there cause he is trying to tell you that he wants to see more variaty... well I think the point is that trance/techno got more uploads the the other genre's out there... but still, what is the problem with that? If the majority of producers wants to create such a genre (which is the best way to step into the world of creating digital music) then they should do that.

I prefect to work in periods. A month of hardstyle, a month of hiphop then a month creating music for VideoGames, but noone ever should tell me what to create or how so... it would be wise to end the discussion before a flamewar starts rising...

Do whatever you please and makes you feel good, in the end its all about the art of creation ;).

Retro never get old!