New Topic Respond to this Topic
hanorotu
hanorotu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Limitations of the mind 2009-07-03 22:02:58 Reply

I have heard different theories about obtaining too much knowledge, and how once we reach that limit, the unthinkable happens...

The reason it is unthinkable is because we don't know what will happen. is there even a limit to how much we can hold in out minds? Albert Einstein thought so. He refused to learn his home address, and many other thing because he thought there was only a small amount of things our brains can hold.
I have also heard that once ones mind reaches a set limit of information it tries to separate these thoughts from the main thought process or as we look at them now, alternate personalities. There are some people that are diagnoses with having alternate personalities and are given medications to suppress these "voices" and help the host think with less distractions. I know of a few people that hear voices or act out as if they have a different person inside of them. People that can sit down and converse with themselves and come up with an answer. I know of people that can control these "voices" and communicate with them as if they were standing right in front of them. I know of people that can be basic people with basic thoughts and basic thought processes, and then the next day, they can be someone completely different. these "voices" as we call them are, by my point of view, rather basic in nature. The human mind adapts to its surroundings, as does the host it controls, the body. now if the mind adapts to its surrounding and then we think of this adaptation as a problem, we try and think of it as burden, as a curse, or as an illness. As for me, i see it as a necessity. There have been people that have gotten lost in the wilderness and survived, they told the news crews that they were listening to the "thoughts" in their minds and were able to live through... Now when we find ways to get rid of these thoughts, the only thing we are doing is killing our thoughts and the ability to think.

"Thoughts"
"Voices"
"Imagination"

The way i see it, these are common grounds for the human mind to adapt upon. thoughts are the voices we hear inside our minds, the answer that calls back after asking a question. And yet we see this as an imaginary person with all the answers.

Don't let these voices go unheard, don't let these thought be unthinkable, and let your imagination run wild.

Now for the voices and thoughts that are "bad" or the ones we see as an evil self trying to get out, they are nothing more than thoughts, ones that you yourself have thought of. Every thought we have, every idea, is not lost, it is just set to the side and lost among the rest of the thoughts flying through our mind. When we get older and we can easily tell right from wrong and these thoughts come back, we quickly cast them aside, or when new thoughts arise, we do the same. The more one thinks about something, the more it grows. When we think of something for a while and then cast it aside. it is still there, and every time that subject comes up, so will that thought. Even if you don't like the thought, even if you hate it, it will still be there. We see this thought as something evil and you cant just say there is something evil in your head, you would be called crazy. Humans have become dependent on drugs and medications to solve there problems, and will find these voices as an illness that can be curd with drugs. There has been counts where those who are suppose to take meds for voices don't. When questioned about it, they usually answer with something along the lines of a school test, or anything that they needed to use deep thought on. Bottom of the line is, when you take meds like this, it reduces your ability of thought. Thus the reason i don't take any type of drugs or anything that messes with my mind. only time i will ever take a pain killer or anything that will affect my mind in any way is if it hurts so bad that i can't even breath

I want to know what everyone thinks about this, and to answer the question that might be going through your head right now, yes i do have conversations with my self, they are not public conversations and i do not speak them. I think to my self, and reply to my self. I have no need for medications of any sort, and i will never take them. I would rather die before subjecting to such pathetic ways.

The mind is the only thing we have that is ours to control, control it well, and don't let others think for you. It's your mind, not theirs. The only true freedom is the freedom of free thought, for even speech is costly in these times.

BBS Signature
ngman7
ngman7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Limitations of the mind 2009-07-03 22:12:19 Reply

Here's a good question-why's our thinking linear?

Entice
Entice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Limitations of the mind 2009-07-03 22:12:40 Reply

Nice read. I'm pretty sure its not copypasta

Good job. Are you a writer?

hanorotu
hanorotu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Limitations of the mind 2009-07-03 22:13:21 Reply

At 7/3/09 10:06 PM, XIII13 wrote: I'll be honest, I stopped reading after the first sentence.

Remember, this is Newgrounds, everyone is retarded.

I have seen very intelligent people on here, I hoped that would be who responded. Oh well, I will just give it some time.

BBS Signature
hanorotu
hanorotu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Limitations of the mind 2009-07-03 22:15:10 Reply

At 7/3/09 10:12 PM, bgraybr wrote: Nice read. I'm pretty sure its not copypasta

Good job. Are you a writer?

It isn't copied. I try to write. Sometimes I fail miserably.. But I try.
Hopefully I can get some good responses so I know I am not crazy talking to myself!

BBS Signature
Echo-Konosko
Echo-Konosko
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Limitations of the mind 2009-07-03 22:15:37 Reply

I hate limitations, i want to free my mind all over the world.

wat?
Gustavos
Gustavos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Limitations of the mind 2009-07-03 22:22:53 Reply

I have a theory that all minds have a "capacity" of information. And that brains that were above average in intelligence for most of their lives, would have a larger capacity as adults. Like the brain adapting to the amount of information it acquires.

I usually frequent the VG and collaboration Forums. If you find me anywhere else, I'm lost and can't find my way back.

hanorotu
hanorotu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Limitations of the mind 2009-07-03 23:02:52 Reply

At 7/3/09 10:52 PM, C-Doodlez-Man wrote: One limitation of my mind is the lackability to read walls of text.

see what I did there?

I see what you did thar.
You should read it though...

BBS Signature
jnco9909
jnco9909
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Limitations of the mind 2009-07-03 23:08:29 Reply

Intelligence on Newgrounds, I never thought such thing could be possible. Oh yeah, and thats a very nice "wall" but I found it rather intriguing, so good job.

and you have earned a cookie.

Drugs are a bet with your mind.

HeavyMetalGuy
HeavyMetalGuy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Audiophile
Response to Limitations of the mind 2009-07-03 23:20:41 Reply

At 7/3/09 10:06 PM, XIII13 wrote: I'll be honest, I stopped reading after the first sentence.

Remember, this is Newgrounds, everyone is retarded.

Not everyone.

zach8109
zach8109
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Limitations of the mind 2009-07-03 23:30:35 Reply

Limitations? No. Consequences? Yes. If you look at most geniuses, they are usually borderline insane. I dont think that means there are limitations though.

ngman7
ngman7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Limitations of the mind 2009-07-03 23:32:42 Reply

You're only limited by your thinking.

hanorotu
hanorotu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Limitations of the mind 2009-07-06 00:53:34 Reply

At 7/3/09 11:30 PM, zach8109 wrote: Limitations? No. Consequences? Yes. If you look at most geniuses, they are usually borderline insane. I dont think that means there are limitations though.

All geniuses are insane

1. Sanity is defined as being of sound mind
2. Most people are of sound mind
3. A genius is not like all people, who are of sound mind, therefore a genius is not of sound mind.
4. A genius is therefore insane

Most of those genius inventors, scientists in the past were called "loopy" "crazy" You have to be crazy to want to transcend the norm.

BBS Signature
Alpharius120
Alpharius120
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Limitations of the mind 2009-07-06 00:57:28 Reply

So what you're saying is once you reach a certain limit of held information in your mind, it begins to divide it the information between different thought processes, or, in lay mans terms, personalities, in order to contain the knowledge while remaining safe?

Hey yo

hanorotu
hanorotu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Limitations of the mind 2009-07-06 00:59:40 Reply

At 7/6/09 12:57 AM, Alpharius120 wrote: So what you're saying is once you reach a certain limit of held information in your mind, it begins to divide it the information between different thought processes, or, in lay mans terms, personalities, in order to contain the knowledge while remaining safe?

If you want to shorten it up a lot then yes, but it is just a theory.

BBS Signature
TheFaces
TheFaces
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to Limitations of the mind 2009-07-06 01:03:06 Reply

At 7/3/09 10:13 PM, hanorotu wrote: I have seen very intelligent people on here, I hoped that would be who responded. Oh well, I will just give it some time.

You rang?
I am actually shocked to find somebody with such an understanding of the human psyche here on Newgrounds. Your view points are quite interesting, and I feel myself compelled to agree with most of what you said. I actually suffer from schizophrenia, and multiple personality disorder. I don't tend to have conversations with myself unless I see myself in a mirror though. The reason this is though is because I don't recognize myself as being myself. When I look in a mirror, I realize that it's me, but for some reason it feels different, as if i'm another person separate from the person in the mirror. I often talk to myself, and my co-workers have no idea that i'm actually clinically insane. I'm left to walk around because I'm not a "Threat to humanity". Or so diagnosed by a psychiatrist that I payed lots of money to put that in writing in lots of long fancy words.

All of that aside though. Many scientists, and theorist believe that if you figure out the unthinkable, then the unthinkable simply changes, and becomes more complex. It is not that anything is unthinkable, it is simply that we haven't figgured it out yet. The only way to eliminate this possibility is to simply strike the word "Unthinkable" from our dictionaries, and vocabularies.

hanorotu
hanorotu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Limitations of the mind 2009-07-06 01:03:41 Reply

At 7/6/09 01:01 AM, Sensationalism wrote: TLDR, sorry.

Man, it's gonna be cool when we can download our minds onto machines!!

And then they get to newgrounds, "Uh boss, all of the minds here are less than 5kb compared to the usual 500gb." lol

BBS Signature
Jay
Jay
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Limitations of the mind 2009-07-06 01:07:50 Reply

At 7/3/09 10:02 PM, hanorotu wrote: I want to know what everyone thinks about this, and to answer the question that might be going through your head right now, yes i do have conversations with my self, they are not public conversations and i do not speak them. I think to my self, and reply to my self. I have no need for medications of any sort, and i will never take them. I would rather die before subjecting to such pathetic ways.

I do this too, I usually have arguements as well. Trying to think, "What is the right thing to do"

I also drum on things A LOT. Every period at school, I'll be drumming on my desk with my fingers. Not just like nervously or anything, but actually like I'm making a beat or pattern. A lot of times I do this without realizing. Or, if I'm trying to go to sleep at like 2:00 AM, I'll find myself literally drumming on my wall, making a beat with my fingers.

I wonder if this has a connection with your theory, and it may also explain why I have a terrible time trying to fall asleep EVERY SINGLE NIGHT. I'm just up all night, thinking a thousand different thoughts to myself....

It all sounds really interesting, I'll have to check back on it and discuss more later. But I belive that it is a possibility!

hanorotu
hanorotu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Limitations of the mind 2009-07-06 01:09:53 Reply

At 7/6/09 01:03 AM, TheFaces wrote:
At 7/3/09 10:13 PM, hanorotu wrote: I have seen very intelligent people on here, I hoped that would be who responded. Oh well, I will just give it some time.
You rang?
I am actually shocked to find somebody with such an understanding of the human psyche here on Newgrounds. Your view points are quite interesting, and I feel myself compelled to agree with most of what you said. I actually suffer from schizophrenia, and multiple personality disorder. I don't tend to have conversations with myself unless I see myself in a mirror though. The reason this is though is because I don't recognize myself as being myself. When I look in a mirror, I realize that it's me, but for some reason it feels different, as if i'm another person separate from the person in the mirror. I often talk to myself, and my co-workers have no idea that i'm actually clinically insane. I'm left to walk around because I'm not a "Threat to humanity". Or so diagnosed by a psychiatrist that I payed lots of money to put that in writing in lots of long fancy words.

I agree with this as well, especially this part

I'm left to walk around because I'm not a "Threat to humanity". Or so diagnosed by a psychiatrist that I payed lots of money to put that in writing in lots of long fancy words.

That is so true. Other people decide when you are insane, you don't decide anymore. I have never been examined because I know I am not insane or crazy. I just simply think on a higher level than some in this world.

BBS Signature
TehSlapHappy
TehSlapHappy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Melancholy
Response to Limitations of the mind 2009-07-06 01:32:33 Reply

My mind is limited to my knowledge. So what I know and all I see is everything I know.

wut

Sig by BlooHippoe.

BBS Signature
JC1playa
JC1playa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Limitations of the mind 2009-07-06 01:56:21 Reply

Everybody talks to themselves in there mind, its not just you. ( I'm not sure if that's what you meant, but thats what i sort of took away from it.) That's how you make decisions, you ask yourself should i or shouldn't i? then you decide yes or no. Just like in a conversation with two people. Our brains are complex and multi-functional. Otherwise we would stick to the same decisions and not be able to adapt if we had just "one voice" in our head.

As for the part were you said people talk to themselves and get out of the woods and other stuff:

Dehydration, lack of food, and desperation/paranoa (idk if thats spelt right lol) can all cause symptoms of dementia and schizophrenia, these people were probably lucky that they got out and reported these symptoms, and probably firmly believed that someone was talking to them helping them.

The world is only what your mind perceives. Research blind people drawing pictures. You might think that sounds retarded but you might be amazed.

JC1playa
JC1playa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Limitations of the mind 2009-07-06 02:00:40 Reply

That is so true. Other people decide when you are insane, you don't decide anymore. I have never been examined because I know I am not insane or crazy. I just simply think on a higher level than some in this world.

Is this not a paradox?

YOU think that YOU think on a higher level, you said that the mind controls everything and everything you perceive, could it be possible what you perceive isn't real? I'm not trying to be mean im just trying to enlighten you and let you open your mind.

pr0ded
pr0ded
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Limitations of the mind 2009-07-06 02:06:09 Reply

At 7/3/09 10:22 PM, Gustavos wrote: I have a theory that all minds have a "capacity" of information.

i have theory and its called long term and short term memory

hanorotu
hanorotu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Limitations of the mind 2009-07-06 17:27:12 Reply

At 7/6/09 02:00 AM, JC1playa wrote: Is this not a paradox?

I agree, but maybe I am crazy. Who knows...

BBS Signature
SoulMaster71
SoulMaster71
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Movie Buff
Response to Limitations of the mind 2009-07-06 18:49:33 Reply

Why do you think I've divided myself into Kylapharos, Lord Pentium, and Soulmaster? I get into something, learn all I can, and move on when the histories contain no new information for me. I end up doing that every two, three years since I was six. That has led to five or six different areas in which I have absorbed all the knowledge I can get my hands on. The last year has, admittedly, been less productive than previous ones: my Internet Cultures period went by so fast, since the subject matter is so new and has so little history compared to, say, professional wrestling, where the relevant period goes back to the 80s, and the prehistory leading up to it going back far longer. And so I had to create three personas, three separate identities for myself, in order to categorize the knowledge.

powerfuldude
powerfuldude
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Limitations of the mind 2009-07-06 19:39:17 Reply

At 7/3/09 10:02 PM, hanorotu wrote:
The mind is the only thing we have that is ours to control, control it well, and don't let others think for you. It's your mind, not theirs. The only true freedom is the freedom of free thought, for even speech is costly in these times.

I was with you up until this point. Whoever first wrote this is retarded and knows nothing about the mind. You can't control your mind it controls you. To a degree you can control what you think but your brain is saying what to think. An example would be if there was a pie, a burger, or ice cream in front of you and you grab the pie, you 'picked it' but your brain decided what it wanted or what vitamins you needed and made you want the pie.

Screch
Screch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Limitations of the mind 2009-07-06 20:15:40 Reply

Thats a pretty big mindfuck... but it's interesting and me likey

NeonFlame126
NeonFlame126
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Blank Slate
Response to Limitations of the mind 2009-07-06 20:27:39 Reply

There is a limit on our mind, but there are fossil records that our heads and mental capacities have grown over time. Just imagine this: A Caveman's head was about a third our size. Why? They only needed to know basic thoughts.

Our head has grown so much bigger because the lifetime achievements of ancient thinkers are now common knowledge. It took 3000 years for us to figure out gravity, but know every first grader knows what it is. What makes weather and clouds? Anyone who's passed 4th grade Science knows that. Why and how does electricity transfer? Again, common knowledge.

The thoughts and knowledge of humans have expanded at extreme rates, and our minds are slowly trying to keep up. We don't use our entire mental capacity right now, and when we learn how to we can keep retaining new facts at amazing lengths.

You can't spell FÜHRER without Ü
"You know you fail in life when you fail to end your failure"