00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Nue22 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

how do you get rid of...

1,062 Views | 8 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

how do you get rid of... 2009-07-03 17:05:20

microphone hiss when you record, while not destroying the quality of the recording? and i was also wondering if there was any way to get rid of amp humming when you try to record guitar and all that stuff

sorry if a topic like this was made already :\

"I want to care but I just... don't" -Me

Need somewhere to host audio instantly?

BBS Signature

Response to how do you get rid of... 2009-07-03 17:15:40

get better gear.

Oh, you wanted specific solutions..

Well microphone hiss is caused by a number of things, either low quality gear, or a sub-optimal recording environment. Try to record as far away from sources of noise as possible. You can use noise removal algorithms in most software to an extent, but it can punch giant holes in your sound if you're not careful.

As for amp hum, definitely try to record with your guitar away from sources of noise (fluorescent lights, CRT monitors, electrical appliances.)

That's the most specific general advice I can give you. more detailed information on your recording setup would be helpful.

Response to how do you get rid of... 2009-07-03 17:49:11

i got crappy gear but I'm just trying to get the best out of what i got so thats why i wanted to know. I once tried to connect my guitar amp directly into the line in section on my cpu.. but obviously i had alot of that electric hum that i want to get rid of so if you can give some advice from that it would be much appreciated

lol i got a $20.00 RCA mic :\

"I want to care but I just... don't" -Me

Need somewhere to host audio instantly?

BBS Signature

Response to how do you get rid of... 2009-07-03 17:52:04

The only way you're going to get really good results recording your amp is to buy a decent mic and point it at the amplifier.

There's tons of USB condensers out there that'll do the job just fine (just be careful not to close-mic a very loud cab with it.)

Response to how do you get rid of... 2009-07-03 18:38:23

I wouldn't use a condenser to record a guitar amp speaker. If you can, look into buying an SM57, it's a good all round microphone, and is durable and all that jazz.

For the low end hum, is it actually your amp making noise?
It can be caused by the amp being too close to electrical appliances, as previously stated, or your mains line isn't earthed, if I remember correctly.
The low end hum you hear as well can potentially blow your speakers, or severely damage them.

When I was last in the studio as well I had a nasty noise coming from my amp which was caused because I was using a stereo jack extension from my guitar to a mono jack lead into the amp. Because I'm right stupid. I took the extension out, had to play really close to the door, but it worked.

Hope some of that ramble helped a bit lol.

Response to how do you get rid of... 2009-07-03 18:56:43

At 7/3/09 06:38 PM, DexterPowercrush wrote: I wouldn't use a condenser to record a guitar amp speaker.

Why? I've gotten some of the grittiest, heaviest sounding guitar by setting a condenser about two feet back from a cab. Close micing is great but you can definitely lose some definition.

If you can, look into buying an SM57, it's a good all round microphone, and is durable and all that jazz.

Except now he also has to buy an audio interface. Not to knock the 57, but for a low-cost solution, an easy USB mic is the best bet.

For the low end hum, is it actually your amp making noise?
It can be caused by the amp being too close to electrical appliances, as previously stated, or your mains line isn't earthed, if I remember correctly.

Most of the interference I pick up is from the guitar's pickups, rather than the amp itself, but it's worth looking into.

The low end hum you hear as well can potentially blow your speakers, or severely damage them.

Hm... a 60hz sine wave shouldn't have this effect. Have you seen this personally? If so, I'm interested in hearing about it.

When I was last in the studio as well I had a nasty noise coming from my amp which was caused because I was using a stereo jack extension from my guitar to a mono jack lead into the amp. Because I'm right stupid. I took the extension out, had to play really close to the door, but it worked.

Yeah, it's important to be careful about using balanced cables in an unbalanced environment, weird juju goes down.

Response to how do you get rid of... 2009-07-03 19:36:00

At 7/3/09 06:56 PM, loansindi wrote: Why? I've gotten some of the grittiest, heaviest sounding guitar by setting a condenser about two feet back from a cab. Close micing is great but you can definitely lose some definition.

I dunno. I'm a big close-micing fan. I found that placing the mics further away never got the sound that I wanted. I love that big chunky in your face sound. And a condenser is going to cost a hell of a lot more anyway. And this dude doesn't sound like he wants to spend a lot of money.

Except now he also has to buy an audio interface. Not to knock the 57, but for a low-cost solution, an easy USB mic is the best bet.

If you got a XLR-jack lead you could go straight into the line in on your computer? That's how I've always done it. Although not with a 57. :/ I'm just assuming it wouldn't be any different for a different mic model.

Most of the interference I pick up is from the guitar's pickups, rather than the amp itself, but it's worth looking into.

Low end hum won't come from pick-ups, as far as I know. The pick-ups on my guitar are really shitty and create a lot of noise when I'm playing, but it's definitely not the same.

Hm... a 60hz sine wave shouldn't have this effect. Have you seen this personally? If so, I'm interested in hearing about it.

Not personally. I had to research it for Live Sound when I was in college. My tutors said they've encountered it before.

Yeah, it's important to be careful about using balanced cables in an unbalanced environment, weird juju goes down.

And it's really annoying when you spend 3 fucking hours of recording time trying to figure out what's causing it. Then finding out AFTER you've tried in every room you can possibly play in. haha.

Response to how do you get rid of... 2009-07-03 19:47:38

I don't really remember anything about mics and sound checking from classes in school and such, but one thing i do remember is that you need to avoid other noise, try you're best to get in a small room without a lot of reverb/echo, and don't get too close to the mic, that tends to pic up a lot of extra "hissing" which could mean you're breathing.

Response to how do you get rid of... 2009-07-03 19:48:44

At 7/3/09 07:36 PM, DexterPowercrush wrote

I dunno. I'm a big close-micing fan. I found that placing the mics further away never got the sound that I wanted. I love that big chunky in your face sound.

Like I said, I've gotten the chunkiest sound with a condenser.

And a condenser is going to cost a hell of a lot more anyway. And this dude doesn't sound like he wants to spend a lot of money.

This is completely false. There are several USB condensers to be had for the same price as an sm57.

MF search for USB condenser

If you got a XLR-jack lead you could go straight into the line in on your computer? That's how I've always done it. Although not with a 57. :/ I'm just assuming it wouldn't be any different for a different mic model.

For any kind of real quality or headroom you're gonna want a real mic preamp, or else you're just intentionally putting a bad link in the chain.

Low end hum won't come from pick-ups, as far as I know. The pick-ups on my guitar are really shitty and create a lot of noise when I'm playing, but it's definitely not the same.

True, but you can get some interesting ground issues if the guitar is wired wrong (I've even heard of people being shocked from improper wiring mixed with ground faults, can't vouch for the veracity of these stories)

Not personally. I had to research it for Live Sound when I was in college. My tutors said they've encountered it before.

Hm. Square waves can break shit, but the hum from AC honestly shouldn't pose much of an issue.

And it's really annoying when you spend 3 fucking hours of recording time trying to figure out what's causing it. Then finding out AFTER you've tried in every room you can possibly play in. haha.

No doubt.