WhistlerMusicUK
WhistlerMusicUK
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! Aug. 21st, 2011 @ 08:26 AM Reply

At 6/20/11 05:35 PM, SBB wrote: RAGE

Hello buddy. Do you have two hard drives? This tends to happen when your hard drive can't keep up with all the audio streams. There's a few things you can do...

Change the length of your audio regions so that they're not all starting at exactly the same time

Freeze tracks to free up memory

get a second hard drive and keep applications and programs on one and your logic save files on the other (saves the drive head having to quickly scan between loading data for programs and loading data for audio. Will also prolong the length of your drives!) I would say that this will make the biggest change. Terrabyte drives are like £40 at the moment as well so not very expensive.

Increasing your playback buffer will help but will incur latency. Reduce when recording live and increase when mixing.

Consolidate audio tracks. If you're anything like me, you'll end up with thousands of little slices of edited audio on a track in the arrange window. Lots of tracks with miniscule sections of audio hogs your resources and stresses out your hard drive. Highlight all audio sections on a track and bounce as one file and this will greatly help your memory consumption.

Hope this helps.

WhistlerMusicUK
WhistlerMusicUK
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! Aug. 21st, 2011 @ 09:00 AM Reply

Sorry for double post. Keep your sample libraries on the 2nd drive too, not just your logic save files. Keep audio files and programs seperate! Also I just noticed from the screen grab underneath your post that it does look like you use lots of cut up audio sections. Highlight them all and glue together (I've set '=' as a shortcut for this) and that will help alot.

WhistlerMusicUK
WhistlerMusicUK
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! Sep. 8th, 2011 @ 04:49 PM Reply

... Triple post.. Do I get banned for that?

Anywho. Here's one for you. I have a big MIDI controller keyboard with loads of functions. I'm trying to assign a fader to a control in the EXS24. How do I know which MIDI CTRL number my fader is putting out? trial and error would take ages as there are obviously 128 possible...

Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! Sep. 8th, 2011 @ 04:56 PM Reply

You don't really have to know the control #. Just press cmd-L, press learn mode, drag the fader a bit and then turn the software knob you want to assign the fader to. The cmd-L window also gives you detailed information about the fader if you still need that.

Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! Sep. 8th, 2011 @ 04:58 PM Reply

Well technically cmd-K. cmd-L launches straight into learn mode, which is often what you want.

WhistlerMusicUK
WhistlerMusicUK
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! Sep. 8th, 2011 @ 08:15 PM Reply

At 9/8/11 04:58 PM, SBB wrote: Well technically cmd-K. cmd-L launches straight into learn mode, which is often what you want.

Thanks SBB, I Got there in the end. There's a big friggin' obvious display on the Transport bar. Tells you velocity, note etc. If you use a control it will display the control number. It was #71 in this instance so I just plugged that into the modulation router.

Are you still having problems with the "audio overload" error message or did you manage to sort that out?

ZStriefel
ZStriefel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Audiophile
Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! Nov. 13th, 2011 @ 03:20 AM Reply

Does anyone know if there's a way to set up your command click to default to a specific tool automatically when you start up logic? I use the fade tool more than anything, and now every time I open a new session I automatically command + click expecting the fade tool but noooo. So I was curious if there was a way to have that be the default?

Aside from making a new template..

Your questions about Logic Pro!

Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! Jan. 16th, 2012 @ 09:47 AM Reply

groups.

Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! Jan. 16th, 2012 @ 09:49 AM Reply

wait, there was a post asking about this, where did it go??

Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! Apr. 21st, 2012 @ 08:53 AM Reply

I KEEP DOUBLE CLICKING OTHER MIDI CLIPS BUT THE MOTHER FUCKING PIANO ROLL WON'T FUCKING CHANGE. IT KEEPS LOADING THE SAME FUCKING CLIP EVEN AFTER I'VE DELETED IT. I CAN'T WORK WITH THE SONG ANYMORE WHAT THE FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

ZStriefel
ZStriefel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Audiophile
Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! May. 22nd, 2013 @ 08:23 AM Reply

I have a question..

So lets say you're just trying to do some quick editing. You "shift+command+i" and import an audio file. You do your business and don't need to save it, so you close out the project.

Logic leaves behind an AIF which is the copy of the file you imported (I think).. Is there a way to set a new default path for those? I think if you save the project, it'll default to putting that copy to the audio folder in the project file. Buut I often do quicky editing that doesn't really mandate saving the session.

It's just annoying to have to go through and delete all these extra files that it leaves behind. So I was wondering if it was possible to have it default the save path to like.. the trash can.. or a specified folder. Would be sweet, because I share a dropbox folder with like 4 people, and thats where I keep a bulk of sounds that I made to layer in sfx and whatnot, and every now and then I'll get an IM on skype being like "okay wtf is asdlfjljdfkhsadljf.aif?" and then I'm like "oh shit, my bad. Ignore that while I go delete." it's just messy and I don't like it.

If you know what I'm talking about and know how to do this.. that would be epicness.

Thanks!

Ecke
Ecke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Audiophile
Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! May. 24th, 2013 @ 05:16 PM Reply

At 8/26/10 11:40 PM, Mystery-Moon-Pie-Aud wrote: Is there any way faster than doing each single midi note, in a similar manner to FL Studio where you can just quantize and it cuts the beginning/ends and aligns to grid?

Select all notes> Event> Function > Quantize

/ Accomplishments: first 1000 comment news post.
/ عثكغ ʘⒺⒸⓀⒺʘ

BBS Signature
Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! May. 24th, 2013 @ 06:16 PM Reply

At 5/22/13 08:23 AM, ZStriefel wrote: Logic leaves behind an AIF which is the copy of the file you imported (I think).. Is there a way to set a new default path for those? I think if you save the project, it'll default to putting that copy to the audio folder in the project file. Buut I often do quicky editing that doesn't really mandate saving the session.

I'm sure this has a simple solution (I don't know it) but what I do is kind of a roundabout solution to your problem, which is having one project file (with a shortcut on the desktop or wherever easily accessible) where you do all that kind of quick audio file editing. Everything goes neatly into one folder and sorts itself out that way.

skyood
skyood
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! May. 24th, 2013 @ 08:21 PM Reply

At 5/24/13 05:16 PM, Ecke wrote:
At 8/26/10 11:40 PM, Mystery-Moon-Pie-Aud wrote: Is there any way faster than doing each single midi note, in a similar manner to FL Studio where you can just quantize and it cuts the beginning/ends and aligns to grid?
Select all notes> Event> Function > Quantize

Or, in the piano roll, set the ... don't know what to call it ... scale? As in 1/8 or 1/16, etc. (upper middle of the window.)
Select note(s)
hit "Q."

You'll have to re-set the the "scale" (or whatever the proper name for it is) every time you quite and re-open the project.

BBS Signature
Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! May. 25th, 2013 @ 12:35 PM Reply

At 5/24/13 08:21 PM, skyood wrote: don't know what to call it ... scale? As in 1/8 or 1/16, etc. (upper middle of the window.)

Resolution.

Personally I often prefer using the window in the top left (when you have selected the MIDI region in question), because it allows you to do quantization non-destructively (the original imperfections are still "available" - you can get them back by turning the quantization off), and lets you apply smaller 'amounts' of quantization (by setting Q-Strength below 100%), quantize velocity, quantize lengths, etc.

Ecke
Ecke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Audiophile
Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! May. 28th, 2013 @ 06:40 PM Reply

How do ya'll bounce MP3?

320k, no VBR, real time, overload protection only here.

/ عثكغ ʘⒺⒸⓀⒺʘ

BBS Signature
Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! May. 28th, 2013 @ 06:51 PM Reply

At 5/28/13 06:40 PM, Ecke wrote: How do ya'll bounce MP3?

320k, no VBR, real time, overload protection only here.

Use these settings. Why would you want to bounce real time?

Ecke
Ecke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Audiophile
Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! May. 29th, 2013 @ 11:17 PM Reply

At 5/28/13 06:51 PM, Buoy wrote: Use these settings. Why would you want to bounce real time?

Externals.

/ عثكغ ʘⒺⒸⓀⒺʘ

BBS Signature