New Topic Respond to this Topic
nathanallenpinard
nathanallenpinard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! Aug. 25th, 2009 @ 10:21 PM Reply

What's your latency at? What interface? What HD config are you attempting to write to?

And stupid question, but have you restarted?

ZStriefel
ZStriefel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Audiophile
Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! Aug. 26th, 2009 @ 05:51 AM Reply

At 8/25/09 10:21 PM, nathanallenpinard wrote: What's your latency at? What interface? What HD config are you attempting to write to?

And stupid question, but have you restarted?

actually. funny you should ask. I haven't shut off my computer in a couple days..I'm gonna do that.

Mrmilkcarton
Mrmilkcarton
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! Sep. 2nd, 2009 @ 08:48 PM Reply

Figured I would post this here. Never realized this was hosted by the site I also post music on.

Logic Pro Audio Tuts

Has some reallllly nice stuff. Some basic things and general music and mixing tutorials. I linked the logic pro section but you can find more if you go to the general tutorials section.

ZStriefel
ZStriefel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Audiophile
Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! Sep. 2nd, 2009 @ 10:47 PM Reply

dude thats awesome! I've got some reading to do!

statueofdiveo
statueofdiveo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! Sep. 6th, 2009 @ 01:13 PM Reply

Is this: The m-audio x-session pro

compatible with logic, it doesnt say, but do you think it could be mappable?

Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! Sep. 6th, 2009 @ 01:32 PM Reply

Pretty much all midi controllers are compatible. You may want to use M-Audio's Enigma software for the best results. It works like a charm with my Axiom, it appears to work with the X-Session controllers too.

alextheDJ
alextheDJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! Sep. 15th, 2009 @ 12:54 PM Reply

I need some advice with mixing. I try to keep the volume levels from peaking but the end result sounds way too soft. Even if I have a limiter with the gain turned up, it still sounds too compressed. Is there some trick to make it loud enough but still sounding good?

ZStriefel
ZStriefel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Audiophile
Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! Sep. 15th, 2009 @ 03:42 PM Reply

after you bounce your song open up a new project in a stereo mastering template and import your bounced file. the go into the mixer and un-bypass the plugins and mess around with the settings to your liking. Sorry this is pretty bad advice really. But you don't learn how to master over night lol. Its a good place to start.

Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! Sep. 15th, 2009 @ 04:08 PM Reply

At 9/15/09 03:42 PM, ZStriefel wrote: after you bounce your song open up a new project in a stereo mastering template and import your bounced file. the go into the mixer and un-bypass the plugins and mess around with the settings to your liking.

Sounds like a lot more work than simply slapping one of the mastering presets on the Stereo Out channel strip and working on it from there. At least some of the presets will work with most contexts and you don't have to leave the main project file before the final export.

Mrmilkcarton
Mrmilkcarton
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! Sep. 15th, 2009 @ 05:22 PM Reply

At 9/15/09 12:54 PM, alextheDJ wrote: I need some advice with mixing. I try to keep the volume levels from peaking but the end result sounds way too soft. Even if I have a limiter with the gain turned up, it still sounds too compressed. Is there some trick to make it loud enough but still sounding good?

Well, there's a tool under Utility called Gain. You might want to try it out. I don't know if it is a compressor or just a tool to boost the sound higher then you can with sliders. If that doesn't help I'm not sure what else you could do.

alextheDJ
alextheDJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! Sep. 15th, 2009 @ 07:56 PM Reply

At 9/15/09 05:22 PM, Mrmilkcarton wrote:
At 9/15/09 12:54 PM, alextheDJ wrote: I need some advice with mixing. I try to keep the volume levels from peaking but the end result sounds way too soft. Even if I have a limiter with the gain turned up, it still sounds too compressed. Is there some trick to make it loud enough but still sounding good?
Well, there's a tool under Utility called Gain. You might want to try it out. I don't know if it is a compressor or just a tool to boost the sound higher then you can with sliders. If that doesn't help I'm not sure what else you could do.

Thanks! That does help a little. If I turn it up too much though it still distorts, but it definitely sounds better than my previous attempts. :)

Mrmilkcarton
Mrmilkcarton
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! Sep. 16th, 2009 @ 12:46 AM Reply

I have a quick question. I'm trying to spruce up my track that has some vocals in it. I'd like to make them a bit more complex then just a chop and vocals going. So here's my question....

How would I go about getting that effect on vocals where it sounds reversed but, it's the reverb being reversed. Kind of like the vocals in the background of this dub mix. Or like this song.

Thanks if anyone can help me.

alextheDJ
alextheDJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! Sep. 16th, 2009 @ 01:10 AM Reply

Maybe you could try taking the dry vocals, reversing them, adding reverb to the reversed vocals, bouncing it, then reversing the bounced vocals.

Mrmilkcarton
Mrmilkcarton
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! Sep. 16th, 2009 @ 01:46 AM Reply

I pretty much figured it out after writing the post. :P

Mrmilkcarton
Mrmilkcarton
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! Sep. 21st, 2009 @ 09:05 PM Reply

A few quick questions. I'm setting up a multi-output setting for Kontakt player 3. I'm trying to make an orchestral preset so whenever I want all my sounds loaded up I can just open that Logic file. So I have this all set up, I'm using more then one instance of Kontakt player since I have more then 16 sounds I would like to use.

First question; how would I set up a bus/aux for each separate channel if I wanted to add different amounts of reverb/EQ to each.

Second question; Since I'm using more then one instance of Kontakt player I hit Multi-timbral option when adding a new instrument channel. Will having more then 1 of these up mess with any other signals?

Third question; Somewhat has to do with the first. When I play one midi channel all the others show sound coming through. I have each mixer channel inside Kontakt3 separated to their own channel but, Logic seems to have the channels show sound when another is played. Is this a problem, or something that just happens?

Last question, I remember watching a video that showed me how to get the colors to show up next to the right edge of the Channel I was on. How do I turn this option on so I can set up the colors for each channel? It would make life easier when selecting instruments of the same kind.

Vorlek
Vorlek
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Audiophile
Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! Oct. 16th, 2009 @ 04:59 PM Reply

Im trying to do a parent/child sort of thing with reigons. So i can have One master region and then i can have other ones that are exactly the same as the master one, change when the master one is changed etc.
At the moment im using repeat, but this doesnt give me the option to have gaps and other bits in between.
If someone could help it would be great.

Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! Oct. 16th, 2009 @ 05:19 PM Reply

At 10/16/09 04:59 PM, Vorlek wrote: Im trying to do a parent/child sort of thing with reigons. So i can have One master region and then i can have other ones that are exactly the same as the master one, change when the master one is changed etc.
At the moment im using repeat, but this doesnt give me the option to have gaps and other bits in between.
If someone could help it would be great.

You could work with region aliases: press shift+option while you drag a region in the arrange window. That will create a region alias, which does not contain data but only refers to the original midi region, much like the relationship between audio files and audio regions. So you can make a lot of copies of that midi region quickly, which will always be identical to the parent region. If you want to change one of the clones, double click the region and choose "Real Copy" in the dialog box to make it an independent region.

Your questions about Logic Pro!

Vorlek
Vorlek
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Audiophile
Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! Oct. 17th, 2009 @ 04:16 AM Reply

Thanks alot, that seems to be what i need :)

SymbolCymbal
SymbolCymbal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! Dec. 5th, 2009 @ 12:52 AM Reply

ok im gonna fel stupid when i get the answer to this but im looking for a way to copy a personalized synth.

Example

i had gone and made a synth with an es2 with effects and had gotten it to the perfect sound i want with that synth...BUT i had not made it in the project i want to use it in.

how would i be able to copy that synth into another project without tediously recreating each little manipulation i had done to it.. i had tried dragging and dropping, copy pasting, and every other simple method under the sun..

i would appreciate very much for screen shots if possible cause as you all know things need to be explained to me the way they would be explained to a 5 year old that sniffs too much glue

alextheDJ
alextheDJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! Dec. 5th, 2009 @ 01:08 AM Reply

At 12/5/09 12:52 AM, SymbolCymbal wrote: ok im gonna fel stupid when i get the answer to this but im looking for a way to copy a personalized synth.

Example

i had gone and made a synth with an es2 with effects and had gotten it to the perfect sound i want with that synth...BUT i had not made it in the project i want to use it in.

how would i be able to copy that synth into another project without tediously recreating each little manipulation i had done to it.. i had tried dragging and dropping, copy pasting, and every other simple method under the sun..

i would appreciate very much for screen shots if possible cause as you all know things need to be explained to me the way they would be explained to a 5 year old that sniffs too much glue

All you have to do is click on the settings button in the channel you want then click save channel strip settings. That way, you can use it in whatever project you want. Hope that helps :)

Your questions about Logic Pro!

SymbolCymbal
SymbolCymbal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
alextheDJ
alextheDJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! Dec. 5th, 2009 @ 11:20 PM Reply

At 12/5/09 04:37 AM, SymbolCymbal wrote: i love you alex, thank you sincerely

no prob :)

Grargh
Grargh
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! Dec. 6th, 2009 @ 05:02 AM Reply

I mean, when I shorten the envelope with the sustain button on, it still plays full length. When I turn it off it plays like it should.

I presume that's for an external sustain pedal like on a piano then?

Grargh
Grargh
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! Dec. 6th, 2009 @ 05:06 AM Reply

At 7/3/09 08:41 PM, Mrmilkcarton wrote: This one may just be hardware issues but, Logic has trouble with remembering where my samples are. I keep them on an external hard drive so I don't lose them if I load them into the EXS24 and don't save the samples to the project folder it won't locate the files. I think it just might be my computer since sometimes the search function doesn't work for it.

Dude you should keep them in the project folder too. External drives are slow though so really you need two internal drives if you are using samples. You'll confuse and wear out a hard drive if it's continuously scanning between which sample it needs to access and which part of your track is coming next. I recommend getting another internal drive, saving your projects to one, and keeping your samples on the other.

Catboi
Catboi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! Dec. 11th, 2009 @ 08:16 AM Reply

I was just wondering if anybody knew how to slow down an audio file/ stretch it. I am using Logic 9, I have tried the Flex tool without success (although I don't really know how to use it so that may be why). Using the flext tool it just seems to move around different parts within the sound so I get odd stuttering like effects. I literally just want to be able to slow it down, like half speed etc so somebody saying "Moo" would say "Mmoooo" :D

nathanallenpinard
nathanallenpinard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! Dec. 11th, 2009 @ 08:22 AM Reply

At 12/11/09 08:16 AM, Catboi wrote: I was just wondering if anybody knew how to slow down an audio file/ stretch it. I am using Logic 9, I have tried the Flex tool without success (although I don't really know how to use it so that may be why). Using the flext tool it just seems to move around different parts within the sound so I get odd stuttering like effects. I literally just want to be able to slow it down, like half speed etc so somebody saying "Moo" would say "Mmoooo" :D

Use the "Time & Pitch Machine* in the sample window.

Were there any other unanswered questions? MrMilk's was a bit complicated, and I missed the window to answer it.

ZStriefel
ZStriefel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Audiophile
Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! Jan. 27th, 2010 @ 05:56 PM Reply

has anyone upgraded to 9 yet? care to give your opinions? is it buggy? have I waited long enough? tax returns are coming.. I'm thinking about making the upgrade :X

Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! Jan. 28th, 2010 @ 02:53 PM Reply

At 1/27/10 05:56 PM, ZStriefel wrote: has anyone upgraded to 9 yet? care to give your opinions? is it buggy? have I waited long enough? tax returns are coming.. I'm thinking about making the upgrade :X

It's the kind of update I didn't think much of when it came out, but I find myself using the new features all the time now (bounce in place is especially useful). The tools are much much more intuitively laid out and there are some small but helpful workflow changes. Flex is useful for correcting sloppy takes (if you want it to sound now awkward it requires a lot more work than it advertises however, could be improved a lot, but it is still a very useful tool). For me it was also noticably lighter and snappier performance wise. I don't care for the guitar emulation really, I prefer guitar rig or podfarm. They did some maintenance updates a few months ago and it's really quite stable now.

to sum it up, it's nifty, useful and it will up productivity but it's not really an essential upgrade.

ZStriefel
ZStriefel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Audiophile
Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! Feb. 20th, 2010 @ 09:28 PM Reply

I'm so frustrated. I've never had this issue before.. I don't if its user error or not. But every now and then, when I decide to use EWQL logic freaks out and crashes. This JUST started happening.. I don't know what the issue is.. But I'm pretty sure its just EW.. which is depressing.. cause I love it.. but don't know what to do here. I'm pretty retarded with these kinds of issues so if you guys have any ideas please indulge.

ZStriefel
ZStriefel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Audiophile
Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! Feb. 20th, 2010 @ 09:31 PM Reply

At 1/28/10 02:53 PM, SBB wrote:
At 1/27/10 05:56 PM, ZStriefel wrote: has anyone upgraded to 9 yet? care to give your opinions? is it buggy? have I waited long enough? tax returns are coming.. I'm thinking about making the upgrade :X

to sum it up, it's nifty, useful and it will up productivity but it's not really an essential upgrade.\

I'm pretty sure thats where my tax return is going..
I've been using it at a friends project studio the past two weekends and I gotta say, I'm falling in love..