00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Neptuno84 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Your questions about Logic Pro!

21,287 Views | 145 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! 2009-07-15 19:00:56

Hm, this is something I'm not familiar with.

Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! 2009-07-15 19:40:55

At 7/12/09 06:11 AM, gregaaron89 wrote: Hey guys, I need help with something. I want to be able to link multiple tracks, so when I move the volume on one, other ones move along with it.

Go to the mixer window, select the channels you want to group (do the shift and click thing), then go "Options" -> "Group Clutch" in the top of the mixer window. This also allows you to mute and solo, or even add insert or send effects to several channels, in one click. Very useful feature.

Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! 2009-07-15 19:52:01

At 7/15/09 07:40 PM, SBB wrote:
At 7/12/09 06:11 AM, gregaaron89 wrote: Hey guys, I need help with something. I want to be able to link multiple tracks, so when I move the volume on one, other ones move along with it.
Go to the mixer window, select the channels you want to group (do the shift and click thing), then go "Options" -> "Group Clutch" in the top of the mixer window. This also allows you to mute and solo, or even add insert or send effects to several channels, in one click. Very useful feature.

Oh shizzle. I didn't even know that. They had groups a long while ago but I thought they had ditched them.

Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! 2009-07-15 20:33:02

Hey everybody,
i've a little problem with logic,
you see i had this track in reason (rewired) going on with a little automation on the tempo, in the end of the track it actually goes from 84 bpm to something like 50 bpm but that's not the point.

in fact i rewired reason to logic like i always did to mix the track and record on it.
tempo automation in reason is deactivated. no way to light that "on" button up.

i wish i could do automation with logic then, and i hope it won't distort my final sounds since they won't be midi played but actual recordings..

tempo automation? lol

Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! 2009-07-15 23:00:44

At 7/15/09 08:33 PM, C-Enterprise wrote: Hey everybody,
i've a little problem with logic,
you see i had this track in reason (rewired) going on with a little automation on the tempo, in the end of the track it actually goes from 84 bpm to something like 50 bpm but that's not the point.

in fact i rewired reason to logic like i always did to mix the track and record on it.
tempo automation in reason is deactivated. no way to light that "on" button up.

i wish i could do automation with logic then, and i hope it won't distort my final sounds since they won't be midi played but actual recordings..

tempo automation? lol

It might work differentent, but do the following:

Right-click on "Global Tracks" at the top of the arrange window (also expand the parameters by clicking on the little arrow)

Select "Configure Global Tracks" and click on "Tempo" if it isn't there already.

You should be able to automate tempo in the global track by clicking and dragging.

Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! 2009-07-15 23:38:24

At 7/15/09 11:00 PM, nathanallenpinard wrote:
It might work differentent, but do the following:

Right-click on "Global Tracks" at the top of the arrange window (also expand the parameters by clicking on the little arrow)

Select "Configure Global Tracks" and click on "Tempo" if it isn't there already.

You should be able to automate tempo in the global track by clicking and dragging.

I may be retarted but all i can do is creating straight lines on the automation, which means the bpm would bump from 85 to 50 instead to slowly fade from one to the other.. any advice for this?

Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! 2009-07-21 16:16:28

So I have 2 questions.

This one is more synthe related. In my 3rd party Synthesizer Sylenth1 I've been making presets of my own starting from init. I want to name them so I click the little dot next to the name and enter text but whenever I hit enter or click off it doesn't save the name it goes back to Init (#).

Last, is there anyway to copy past automation so if I wanted to make a pattern I could just copy it and paste it like I do inserts?

Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! 2009-07-21 16:28:35

At 7/21/09 04:16 PM, Mrmilkcarton wrote: So I have 2 questions.

This one is more synthe related. In my 3rd party Synthesizer Sylenth1 I've been making presets of my own starting from init. I want to name them so I click the little dot next to the name and enter text but whenever I hit enter or click off it doesn't save the name it goes back to Init (#).

Last, is there anyway to copy past automation so if I wanted to make a pattern I could just copy it and paste it like I do inserts?

Not sure about the naming. I just hold command and click the track name.

To move or copy automation data:
Select the nodes or lines you want to move, then drag them to the left or right.
Option-drag the selection to copy it to a different location.
Note: Both operations will delete all nodes in the destination area.
It's possible to move regions with, or independent from, track automation data.

Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! 2009-07-27 13:43:01

How would I be able to take a sound, and be able to make it play with the piano roll? Not like exs, but being able to trigger if it is playing or not. Example:

At 1:02

Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! 2009-07-27 22:59:14

At 7/27/09 01:43 PM, statueofdiveo wrote: How would I be able to take a sound, and be able to make it play with the piano roll? Not like exs, but being able to trigger if it is playing or not. Example:

Are you saying you want to add samples to piano roll? Like putting audio on specific keys and playing them when the note is pressed?

This article should help you, I used it when I had the problem.
Linkage

Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! 2009-07-28 09:57:56

Gahh I feel dumb. How do I automate pitch with the ES2? I already set the bender range to what I want, but I can only do a pitch bend with my midi keyboard, I can't find the automation for it.

Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! 2009-07-28 10:23:21

At 7/27/09 01:43 PM, statueofdiveo wrote: How would I be able to take a sound, and be able to make it play with the piano roll? Not like exs, but being able to trigger if it is playing or not. Example:

Not sure how to do exactly that but you can achieve the same gating effect by automating the mute button of the audio track

At 7/28/09 09:57 AM, gregaaron89 wrote: Gahh I feel dumb. How do I automate pitch with the ES2? I already set the bender range to what I want, but I can only do a pitch bend with my midi keyboard, I can't find the automation for it.

I don't think you can have pitch bend automation in the arrange view. Record something, go to the piano roll, then click the little rectangle with vertical lollipops (picture), click the triangle in the top left and choose pitch bend then you can automate it from there

Your questions about Logic Pro!

Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! 2009-07-28 10:34:53

At 7/28/09 10:23 AM, SBB wrote:
At 7/28/09 09:57 AM, gregaaron89 wrote: Gahh I feel dumb. How do I automate pitch with the ES2? I already set the bender range to what I want, but I can only do a pitch bend with my midi keyboard, I can't find the automation for it.
I don't think you can have pitch bend automation in the arrange view. Record something, go to the piano roll, then click the little rectangle with vertical lollipops (picture), click the triangle in the top left and choose pitch bend then you can automate it from there

WHOH I've been using Logic for a year and I never noticed that button was there XD I had no idea you could do automation in the piano roll... Actually what you're doing is controlling the hyper editor through it. And btw you can have pitch bend automation with the EXS24 and other synths. I just usually never use the ES2.

Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! 2009-07-28 11:05:38

Hmm, you can try loading the sound in Ultrabeat. Then by controlling the sample start by velocity, you can determine where the file starts by how hard to hit the key.

For example, load up ultrabeat. Go to one of the keys and turn off all the oscillators except for the bottom one. Make sure you click Sample - not phase osc or model. From there you can load up the sample that you're trying to choose. Once you load that up, the wave of the sample will show up in a little display. There are lines on the display that you can drag. Drag one to the left and one to the right. These are your start and end points based on velocity (1 is max veloctity, the other is min velocity). Now, make sure your via (to the right of the sample display) is set to velocity. From here you just have to pick the velocity. One more thing is to make sure that "gate" button is turned on, otherwise your sample will play out.

This way you can determine when a file plays by placing midi notes on the piano roll.

If you want to get fancy, you can create cool effects by varying the velocity.

I hope that's not as confusing as it sounds - If you have questions, I can answer them better when I'm home at my computer and not at work.

~Andrew of (A->N)

BBS Signature

Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! 2009-08-01 16:41:07

Hey, how do i convert Audio to Midi? Anyone know?

Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! 2009-08-01 17:32:15

At 8/1/09 04:41 PM, btriangle wrote: Hey, how do i convert Audio to Midi? Anyone know?

You can't really in a true sense, unless you have Melodyne (I think)

You can sample a part of the audio and load it into the EXS24 though, and create an instrument (and do the midi with that) Do you know how to do that or should I explain?

Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! 2009-08-01 18:26:10

Logic 8 doesn't have this function (I don't think)

But I believe 9 does now.

Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! 2009-08-01 21:07:03

At 8/1/09 06:26 PM, nathanallenpinard wrote: Logic 8 doesn't have this function (I don't think)

Ah crap, oh well.

Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! 2009-08-04 17:53:37

Yes, the crossfade option is on the left side where the parameters are. You can have the audio file fade out/in/and xfade.

However, I find using automation in seperate audio tracks gives you more control. I don't like audio crossfades that much.

Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! 2009-08-12 15:56:46

Hey guys, i accidently changed my timeline to seconds instead of bars. Anyone know how i can get that back to bars?

Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! 2009-08-14 12:04:33

Does anyone know how i can reduce the amount of CPU usage on my song? My song cant even go past 20 bars anymore, unless i go to specific parts of the song that contain less CPU usage (Im using Choirs, which apparently uses a tremendous amount of CPU).

I heard freezing is something you can do, but how do i do that?

Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! 2009-08-14 14:09:54

Quoting from a CM magazine I bought a month or so ago.

"Many Logic users struggle with system overload messages as one processor is running into the red while the others are barely moving. If this sounds familiar, open up your Audio Preferences and set Rewire behavior to Playback mode - even if you aren't currently running any other app in Rewire mode."

Hope this helps.

Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! 2009-08-14 16:40:22

At 8/14/09 12:04 PM, btriangle wrote: Does anyone know how i can reduce the amount of CPU usage on my song? My song cant even go past 20 bars anymore, unless i go to specific parts of the song that contain less CPU usage (Im using Choirs, which apparently uses a tremendous amount of CPU).

In general, freeze tracks, try to use simpler plug-ins rather than heavy ones like space/delay designer and sculpture, use few send effects rather than a lot of insert effects, get a more powerful computer, stop making music, etc.

I heard freezing is something you can do, but how do i do that?

In v8, ctrl+click the track > configure track header, then check the "freeze" box. In v9 you just ctrl+click it and choose freeze. Then you'll have the freeze button on every track. This basically creates a temporary audio file of the track, so it uses a lot (almost 100%) less resources than e.g a big polyphonic synth will. You can't change anything in a frozen track though, not even move regions, so it's not always useful unless the arrangement is nearly complete.

In v9 you can use "bounce in place" instead, it's abit more flexible

At 8/1/09 06:26 PM, nathanallenpinard wrote: Logic 8 doesn't have this function (I don't think)

It does audio-to-midi? Or were you replying to something else there?

Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! 2009-08-19 21:35:57

I've got a problem with midi files in logic. I can insert them and assign instruments to them but for some reason when I try to change the volume, it won't let me. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! 2009-08-25 15:51:56

I'm starting to make simple Tutorials for Logic.

If anyone has any suggestions for tutorials I'm all ears.

Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! 2009-08-25 22:21:28

What's your latency at? What interface? What HD config are you attempting to write to?

And stupid question, but have you restarted?

Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! 2009-09-02 20:48:54

Figured I would post this here. Never realized this was hosted by the site I also post music on.

Logic Pro Audio Tuts

Has some reallllly nice stuff. Some basic things and general music and mixing tutorials. I linked the logic pro section but you can find more if you go to the general tutorials section.

Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! 2009-09-06 13:13:32

Is this: The m-audio x-session pro

compatible with logic, it doesnt say, but do you think it could be mappable?

Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! 2009-09-06 13:32:07

Pretty much all midi controllers are compatible. You may want to use M-Audio's Enigma software for the best results. It works like a charm with my Axiom, it appears to work with the X-Session controllers too.

Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! 2009-09-15 12:54:48

I need some advice with mixing. I try to keep the volume levels from peaking but the end result sounds way too soft. Even if I have a limiter with the gain turned up, it still sounds too compressed. Is there some trick to make it loud enough but still sounding good?