New Topic Respond to this Topic
HaniiPuppy
HaniiPuppy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! Jul. 4th, 2009 @ 09:47 PM Reply

At 7/4/09 08:20 PM, btriangle wrote: Im confused, can you explain which menu this is specifically? I cannot find it.

See the attached picture.

Your questions about Logic Pro!

Mrmilkcarton
Mrmilkcarton
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! Jul. 4th, 2009 @ 09:57 PM Reply

Didn't realize I had so many questions lol.

When you are in the Piano roll editor is there a way to Pan note by note and not by using the balance which is just like automation except for the pattern? I'm thinking something that would be similar to velocity where you can drag the dot/line up and down for each note one by one.

Stan-SB
Stan-SB
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! Jul. 5th, 2009 @ 07:23 AM Reply

At 7/4/09 09:57 PM, Mrmilkcarton wrote: Didn't realize I had so many questions lol.

When you are in the Piano roll editor is there a way to Pan note by note and not by using the balance which is just like automation except for the pattern? I'm thinking something that would be similar to velocity where you can drag the dot/line up and down for each note one by one.

i dont know whether you can do that but one way to do that is set up separate tracks as the same instruments at different pan values.

ApproachingNirvana
ApproachingNirvana
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! Jul. 5th, 2009 @ 10:44 AM Reply

At 7/4/09 09:57 PM, Mrmilkcarton wrote: Didn't realize I had so many questions lol.

When you open up the piano editor, you can change the pan (essentially) note by note by using the "panorama" parameter in the Hyper Editor. In the Piano Roll, you'll notice a small icon down in the bottom left that has three lines on it. Click on that icon to open the Hyper Editor. From there, you'll notice a drop down arrow to the left of the highest value (usually 124). Click that drop down menu and you can select "Panorama" from the menu. There, you can change the Pan value throughout the region.

The only problem with this is that it essentially just acts like Automation. Any reverb or echo present in the instrument will get carried as you change the Pan value, making it sound a bit unnatural. Therefore, you might be better off just running all your FX through a bus to counteract this.

Better yet, it may be more useful to use a phaser to "widen" the pan of your arp or successive notes. If you just want specific notes to hit left and right, it's most likely better to use the idea mentioned above by setting up three of the same instrument and having the specific ones sound when you need them to.

Regardless, the Hyper Editor is an awesome tool that you'll find lots of cool little midi data paramters. You can add sustain w/out a sustain pedal, change pitch bend and even do volume automation - which will solve your problem of "looping" automation since it's now attached to the midi region.

Also, it's easiest to do Velocity snare rolls (or w/e rolls) by using the Velocity paramter, switch to the pencil tool (or holding command) and click dragging your line to ramp up the velocity.

Hope I've helped!

BBS Signature
btriangle
btriangle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! Jul. 5th, 2009 @ 01:53 PM Reply

Hey i got another question. I forget how to do this here. How do i name this midi?

Mrmilkcarton
Mrmilkcarton
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! Jul. 5th, 2009 @ 02:14 PM Reply

At 7/5/09 01:53 PM, btriangle wrote: Hey i got another question. I forget how to do this here. How do i name this midi?

Select the midi pattern and in the inspector window at the top left above the channel editor there is an arrow with the name Inst # or whatever the preset used was. In your case it should be "Midi Region" just double click it and change it. Literally right under the Inspector button.

ApproachingNirvana
ApproachingNirvana
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! Jul. 5th, 2009 @ 04:01 PM Reply

At 7/5/09 01:53 PM, btriangle wrote: Hey i got another question. I forget how to do this here. How do i name this midi?

You can also change your tool to the text editor (or hit esc then 4 while in the arrange window) and click on the name - then you can re edit.

BBS Signature
btriangle
btriangle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! Jul. 5th, 2009 @ 06:39 PM Reply

At 7/5/09 04:01 PM, ApproachingNirvana wrote:
You can also change your tool to the text editor (or hit esc then 4 while in the arrange window) and click on the name - then you can re edit.

Thanks, this is truly helpful.

Alright another question. Is there a way i can add a picture to the tracks that i have created? Im using my own software instruments outside of logic, such as East West, so thats why it doesnt have the picture in them naturally.

ApproachingNirvana
ApproachingNirvana
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! Jul. 5th, 2009 @ 07:16 PM Reply

At 7/5/09 06:39 PM, btriangle wrote:
At 7/5/09 04:01 PM, ApproachingNirvana wrote:
Thanks, this is truly helpful.

Alright another question. Is there a way i can add a picture to the tracks that i have created? Im using my own software instruments outside of logic, such as East West, so thats why it doesnt have the picture in them naturally.

Hmmm, yea I've noticed that EastWest (or any 3rd party AU or plugin for that matter) doesn't pull up it's own image. I guess I'm just too lazy and end up labeling them w/ text - in the end, the mixer doesn't show the icons and that's where I need to differentiate things the most. Regardless of that, there is ways to assign some of the stock images that come w/ Logic.

Click on your desired track/instrument and take a look at the inspector (bar on left of arrange window). Under Midi thru should be the name of your track/instrument with a drip down arrow to the left. Click the drop down arrow and you'll see "Icon: " Next to this is your icon you see in the arrange window. Click and hold on the current icon (mainly that greenish music note looking thing that Logic throws on as a default). This should bring up a choice of about 50 icons to choose from. Choose the one that fits and proceed to your next track/instrument.

Bear in mind that this changes nothing and is just for appearances but if it speeds up your workflow, then it's definitely worth it. Also, there is a way to put in your own images as well. Although, I'd have to get the manual to find out how. To me it's just not worth it, so if you REALLY want your own images in the track icon instead of choosing from the stock ones, check out the manual - I know I ran past it somewhere.

Hope this helps!

Andrew (A->N)

BBS Signature
btriangle
btriangle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! Jul. 6th, 2009 @ 05:38 PM Reply

Hope this helps!

Andrew (A->N)

Thanks a lot man, this helped.

nathanallenpinard
nathanallenpinard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! Jul. 6th, 2009 @ 06:17 PM Reply

You can change your icons too, but that is pretty complicated as you have to name them correctly. You might want to google that as I cannot recall how I did it once.

The spotlight indexing thing:

Put your hardrive that uses samples under "Privacy". These won't be indexed.

btriangle
btriangle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! Jul. 6th, 2009 @ 08:57 PM Reply

Hey guys, got another question to ask. This is something i was really curious about, and how to do it.

I want to know how to add Titles and Names to markers. Anyone know how? Heres a picture as usual.

btriangle
btriangle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! Jul. 6th, 2009 @ 08:58 PM Reply

I want to know how to add Titles and Names to markers.

Woops meant to say Titles and "Colors" to Markers.

nathanallenpinard
nathanallenpinard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! Jul. 6th, 2009 @ 08:59 PM Reply

You can name them by option double-clicking them.

nathanallenpinard
nathanallenpinard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! Jul. 8th, 2009 @ 01:58 AM Reply

Apparently FL is more popular than that shitty Logic program. But here's the thread if you need answers!

HaniiPuppy
HaniiPuppy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! Jul. 8th, 2009 @ 07:50 AM Reply

...?

Anyway, in one of my songs, there's a part where it goes into just drums. When it does, there's an unusually prominent echo/reverb on the drums that isn't supposed to be as prominent as it is. If I bypass the compressor-limiter, it goes away, so I know it's something to do with the compressor.

So are there any tips anyone can give me to get rid of it? I've considered using a noise-gate just before the compressor, but I'd rather be able to do something directly in the compressor/limiter.

Here's a picture of the current settings:

btriangle
btriangle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! Jul. 8th, 2009 @ 10:48 AM Reply

At 7/8/09 01:58 AM, nathanallenpinard wrote: Apparently FL is more popular than that shitty Logic program. But here's the thread if you need answers!

lol

Phoog
Phoog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! Jul. 8th, 2009 @ 01:13 PM Reply

At 7/8/09 07:50 AM, HaniiPuppy wrote: Here's a picture of the current settings:

Are you compressing your master track? If so, don't.

If you're just compressing and limiting your 1 drum track, put the reverb in after the compressors. That should sort it.

HaniiPuppy
HaniiPuppy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! Jul. 8th, 2009 @ 03:58 PM Reply

At 7/8/09 01:13 PM, DexterPowercrush wrote:
At 7/8/09 07:50 AM, HaniiPuppy wrote: Here's a picture of the current settings:
Are you compressing your master track? If so, don't.

If you're just compressing and limiting your 1 drum track, put the reverb in after the compressors. That should sort it.

Two slight problems with that: I don't know how how else to keep the volume on the master track from passing 0db while maintaining a decent amount of perceived volume, and I believe the reverb is actually part of the sampled instrument.

nathanallenpinard
nathanallenpinard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! Jul. 8th, 2009 @ 04:24 PM Reply

Use AdLimiter on your master track, not a compressor.

If the track is too loud due to your mixing style, then just add a gain plugin in the master track and reduced the volume to give you some room.

Phoog
Phoog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! Jul. 8th, 2009 @ 06:36 PM Reply

At 7/8/09 03:58 PM, HaniiPuppy wrote: Two slight problems with that: I don't know how how else to keep the volume on the master track from passing 0db while maintaining a decent amount of perceived volume, and I believe the reverb is actually part of the sampled instrument.

Turn up your volume on your computer to make up for it when you're mixing. Make sure nothing hits 0dB or above when you're mixing, and don't put any compressors or limiters on the master track. You'll make it louder when you master it, which comes after the mixing stage.

Well a compressor decreases the dynamic range of a sound, so if you've got a snare being thrashed through a compressor, it's going to make the tail of the sample a lot nearer the volume of the crack of the snare drum. Just ease off it a bit.

Or, alternatively, you could cut the end of the sample off, compress as you wish and then add a reverb, to give it the tail back.

btriangle
btriangle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! Jul. 9th, 2009 @ 10:09 PM Reply

Ok i got another question. Lately i have been a bit interested into 8-Bit style of music, or Chiptune. Does anyone know how to make Chiptune music through Logic Pro? I really have no clue lol.

ApproachingNirvana
ApproachingNirvana
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! Jul. 10th, 2009 @ 08:09 AM Reply

At 7/9/09 10:09 PM, btriangle wrote: Ok i got another question. Lately i have been a bit interested into 8-Bit style of music, or Chiptune. Does anyone know how to make Chiptune music through Logic Pro? I really have no clue lol.

Hmm, try using the ES1. It's got all the right waves to create those sounds and when you get the right sounds, it's pretty authentic. Search the forums on how to create chiptunes or 8-bit synths - there's a lot of threads in the forum here about that. Also, it's pretty standard across the board and not specific to a certain DAW.

Also, you could end up downloading some free 8-bit AUs or even a sample pack for the EXS-24 to sound uber authentic. Chip 32 was a pretty good one (If I remember right). Either way, if you're trying to make from scratch, find a tutorial or forum thread; many of them are pretty specific. Mostly square, triangle, and sine waves you'd be using. You just need to know how to manipulate them.

Hope that helps!

Andrew (A->N)

BBS Signature
SymbolCymbal
SymbolCymbal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! Jul. 10th, 2009 @ 09:17 AM Reply

At 7/9/09 10:09 PM, btriangle wrote: Ok i got another question. Lately i have been a bit interested into 8-Bit style of music, or Chiptune. Does anyone know how to make Chiptune music through Logic Pro? I really have no clue lol.

if you mess the ES P that also works as an 8 bit synth

SymbolCymbal
SymbolCymbal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! Jul. 10th, 2009 @ 09:19 AM Reply

does anyone know how to time extend audio samples, im doing a remix (not uploading it here, relax) and i need to stretch the vocals to fit with the beat i had created.

Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! Jul. 10th, 2009 @ 10:08 AM Reply

At 7/10/09 09:19 AM, SymbolCymbal wrote: does anyone know how to time extend audio samples, im doing a remix (not uploading it here, relax) and i need to stretch the vocals to fit with the beat i had created.

Sample Editor -> 'Time and Pitch Machine' works for that, I guess (if you've split an acapella into different regions, remember to make the region a new audio file first so you don't fuck everything else up). I don't use Logic for time stretching myself, sounds a bit too grainy and sucks all the bass out when I try it, perhaps I'm doing something wrong

aka SBB! I'm not on Newgrounds anymore, but you can find me here:
Youtube | Soundcloud | Facebook

nathanallenpinard
nathanallenpinard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! Jul. 10th, 2009 @ 03:59 PM Reply

There are about 8 different options. I can stretch anything even up to 20bpm sometimes, except I've had bad luck with acoustic guitars.

Complex setting usually work for everything except a few types.

btriangle
btriangle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! Jul. 10th, 2009 @ 04:25 PM Reply

If anyone is interested in trying 8-Bit music with logic or garageband, i have a couple of links which can teach you some things, and give you the AU for it.

Teaches you through garageBand, but you should be able to transfer that information into Logic.

Scroll to the bottom and download. You will get support through the first website i linked.

statueofdiveo
statueofdiveo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! Jul. 10th, 2009 @ 04:29 PM Reply

At 7/10/09 04:25 PM, btriangle wrote: If anyone is interested in trying 8-Bit music with logic or garageband, i have a couple of links which can teach you some things, and give you the AU for it.

Teaches you through garageBand, but you should be able to transfer that information into Logic.

Scroll to the bottom and download. You will get support through the first website i linked.

I also made a tutorial:)

Here it is, what a coincidence

gregaaron89
gregaaron89
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! Jul. 12th, 2009 @ 06:11 AM Reply

Hey guys, I need help with something. I want to be able to link multiple tracks, so when I move the volume on one, other ones move along with it. I could do it with a bus but I don't want to. I think I remember SFLogicNinja showing how to do this, it's like duplicating a track but a bit different, they're linked somehow. I totally forget which video though, or if it's even on his YouTube channel.