New Topic Respond to this Topic
NickabockaglorySpoon
NickabockaglorySpoon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Test my amazing game! It's amazing! Jul. 1st, 2009 @ 07:50 PM Reply

OK it might not be amazing but it's definitely a game. I started making this ages ago and gave up and I've recently started again with totally new graphics (and a new Newgrounds account). All I want is a bit of advise, what you want in the game, what's good and what's bad etc. THE MORE DETAILED THE BETTER. I'm aware of a lot of the glitches and I'm working to fix them.

Controls

W A S D - Move
Shift - Run
Mouse - Shoot
Q E - Weapon Change
P - Map

SPACE - TEST WHAT BEING IN A BUILDING LOOKS LIKE

HERE IT IS!

What do you reckon? Remember THE MORE DETAILED THE BETTER. Also it's no where near finished. GO!

A good friend would bail you out of jail, but your best friend would be the one sitting next to you saying, "damn that was awesome".

QUICK, GO HERE AND TEST THIS

Deathcon7
Deathcon7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Writer
Response to Test my amazing game! It's amazing! Jul. 1st, 2009 @ 07:54 PM Reply

Keep going. At this point is very rudimentary. Having movement controls implemented isn't any level of demo, it's just moving a character around. Get more of the engine completed, and then bother getting people's opinions on it.

Woadraiders
Woadraiders
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Test my amazing game! It's amazing! Jul. 1st, 2009 @ 07:56 PM Reply

Very cool, I was put off A LOT at first by the tile scrolling problem, but the pixly style looks nice. The minigun should have a little delay before it begins shooting. Officers should shoot you when you get wanted enough. Cars should blow up when you shoot them enough. I couldn't walk in a building (I pressed SPACE to get in).

Mibbygames.com
panterA

BBS Signature
NickabockaglorySpoon
NickabockaglorySpoon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Test my amazing game! It's amazing! Jul. 1st, 2009 @ 08:02 PM Reply

At 7/1/09 07:54 PM, Deathcon7 wrote: Keep going. At this point is very rudimentary. Having movement controls implemented isn't any level of demo, it's just moving a character around. Get more of the engine completed, and then bother getting people's opinions on it.

Cheers, will do. But there is a bit more to it than that. There are weapons, cars to blow up, pedestrians walking around, police shooting you if your wanted level is up and a bit more. I kinda wanna know if people like the feel of it before I start the good stuff if you know what a mean. I understand where you're coming from though.

A good friend would bail you out of jail, but your best friend would be the one sitting next to you saying, "damn that was awesome".

14hourlunchbreak
14hourlunchbreak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Game Developer
Response to Test my amazing game! It's amazing! Jul. 1st, 2009 @ 08:06 PM Reply

Odd, it seems I can't shoot anything. :P
I click and click, but nothing happens. It looks like a cool game and I love the pixelation! Keep going.

BBS Signature
NickabockaglorySpoon
NickabockaglorySpoon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Test my amazing game! It's amazing! Jul. 1st, 2009 @ 08:09 PM Reply

At 7/1/09 07:56 PM, Woadraiders wrote: Very cool, I was put off A LOT at first by the tile scrolling problem, but the pixly style looks nice. The minigun should have a little delay before it begins shooting. Officers should shoot you when you get wanted enough. Cars should blow up when you shoot them enough. I couldn't walk in a building (I pressed SPACE to get in).

Cheers, good idea with the minigun. I think it'll be a hard weapon to unlock like a lot of the weapons I'm planning (some very weird). The officers actually do shoot when your wanted things up and you can blow the cars up but it's hard to tell. I'm gonna make them look damaged the more you shoot now. Cheers for the advise.

NickabockaglorySpoon
NickabockaglorySpoon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Test my amazing game! It's amazing! Jul. 1st, 2009 @ 08:11 PM Reply

At 7/1/09 08:06 PM, 14hourlunchbreak wrote: Odd, it seems I can't shoot anything. :P
I click and click, but nothing happens. It looks like a cool game and I love the pixelation! Keep going.

lol you might not have changed weapons (Q and E buttons). Glad you like the pixels, I was worried people wouldn't like it. Cheers.

devilsgarage
devilsgarage
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Animator
Response to Test my amazing game! It's amazing! Jul. 1st, 2009 @ 08:44 PM Reply

nickabockagloryspoon, great work on the art and programming of the game. I too was a bit turned off on seeing the splash screen, but loved the way the game played. Though I have to say it looks a bit like Grand Theft Auto 1/2, it had a good game play.I wish the character walked a bit more smoother.. cause I felt there was a bit too much of drag for that specific walk cycle. IMO ,, the basic walk cycle should have a slower walk and when holding down the shit, it should play the current walk cycle. I love the choice of weapons and the ploice chase and shooting back when my wanted leve lshot up. I also like the fact that the cars blew up.

Love the way things are developing, only hope it moves away from the GTA concept.

Couple of suggestions for this specific build
1. Like the other people around the level, When one blows up a car , their debris should remain there.
2. when people die (cop too) their dead body should slowly decompose, not disappear as soon as you go off screen, more like fade away slowly.
3. Even better if the bodies and exploded cars just stay where they are, showing the carnage.
4. once inside a building, keep it the same view, and the same zoom level. It just doesn't feel like it should be any bigger or the character should be any larger.
5. Keeping in mind the physics of the environment for eg: when carrying the Bigass gun, make the character go a bit slow, when walking on the grass, make him go a wee bit slow. more agile with the baton, The guns can cause some kinda physical damage to the building like bullet marks, bullet holes on the car.
6. When you shoot a person, the person next to him/her gets frightened and starts running away or towards the closes cop for help. This thus gives the user the challenge to kill the snitch, before they reach the cops and your wanted level increases more.
7. The Machine gun and flame thrower, being very powerful should have a cooldown period before its used again.
8. When ever you are hit/shot..depending on the intensity of damage on your character, the screen should turn red.. like a blood rush (like an iris red where the center is transparent).
9. Oh you have to have bullets flying out when any gun is fired.. and bullet shells that are on the ground when you use the machine gun. and a flame burn on the ground below.

All the best.

oxidase
oxidase
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Test my amazing game! It's amazing! Jul. 1st, 2009 @ 08:51 PM Reply

Preety cool :D !
The cops shoot you, but you cant die :/ , i fall down, but i can get back up after
and it seems when people are dead on the ground, they are larger than standing up, like alot more
and i cant seem to shoot either, other than putting mines, nothing is coming out of the guns

the knife, or baseball bat (w.e. it is, lol) isnt working :/

when the cars blow up they dissapear

theres also a spot where flowers are, wich polices can go in, but not us (not that important tho)

its gonna be a good game once your done with it :P

Dont Steal Music or Movie

Proud User of : Firefox 3 : Mac OS X : Flash 9 : AS2

NickabockaglorySpoon
NickabockaglorySpoon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Test my amazing game! It's amazing! Jul. 1st, 2009 @ 08:55 PM Reply

At 7/1/09 08:44 PM, thedevilsgarage wrote: All the best.

Thanks a lot! And I mean a lot. That really helps. I'll add as much of that as I can and more stuff I'm thinking of. This might sound a bit cheeky but when I'm further though could I PM you for a bit more advise? I like the cut of your jib.

devilsgarage
devilsgarage
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Animator
Response to Test my amazing game! It's amazing! Jul. 1st, 2009 @ 08:59 PM Reply

At 7/1/09 08:55 PM, NickabockaglorySpoon wrote:
At 7/1/09 08:44 PM, thedevilsgarage wrote: All the best.
Thanks a lot! And I mean a lot. That really helps. I'll add as much of that as I can and more stuff I'm thinking of. This might sound a bit cheeky but when I'm further though could I PM you for a bit more advise? I like the cut of your jib.

sure thing dude.

NickabockaglorySpoon
NickabockaglorySpoon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Test my amazing game! It's amazing! Jul. 2nd, 2009 @ 06:09 AM Reply

At 7/1/09 08:51 PM, oxidase wrote: its gonna be a good game once your done with it :P

lol yeah there's a long way to go. I'm gonna try and fix those things you mentioned. Cheers for the comment!

Pawn007
Pawn007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Test my amazing game! It's amazing! Jul. 2nd, 2009 @ 06:17 AM Reply

There is a bug we using the minigun and shooting cars (i didn't try it with other weapons due to having too much fun with the mini gun)

If you are beside a car and aim directly at it... not too close but so the barrel almost touches the car... the bullets will move directly south.

For the splash screen try double the resolution of the pixel art... I like the concept its just a little too sparse compared to the game.

BBS Signature
ACMaster27
ACMaster27
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Gamer
Response to Test my amazing game! It's amazing! Jul. 2nd, 2009 @ 06:57 AM Reply

Yeahhh.... it kind of glitched on me. Could be improved in that aspect, also maybe you could get in & out of cars, but certainly, keep building on it!

Exevel
Exevel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Test my amazing game! It's amazing! Jul. 2nd, 2009 @ 12:15 PM Reply

Looks good and runs smoothly, but there's not really any gameplay at all you need an aim for the game.

Xeptic
Xeptic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Game Developer
Response to Test my amazing game! It's amazing! Jul. 2nd, 2009 @ 12:20 PM Reply

Key down == 1 doesn't work on Macs for mouse clicks. Might want to fix that.

BBS Signature
Coolio-Niato
Coolio-Niato
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Test my amazing game! It's amazing! Jul. 2nd, 2009 @ 12:29 PM Reply

Also pressing spacebar to enter and exit buildings.. it really pissed me off that when I pressed space (and sometimes i hold space a bit longer than a single press) it would exit and reenter a building right away. Make it so you press space and you can enter, and can't exit until you lift space and press it again.

Oh and for pause menu, I liked all that extra nice stuff, the map and etc. Maybe add a minimap like in GTA. Otherwise make sure you can EXIT THE PAUSE MENU BY PRESSING P. Heh, otherwise it took me a while to find the resume button and it just feels weird if i cant enter/exit the menu with P.

lgnxhll
lgnxhll
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Filmmaker
Response to Test my amazing game! It's amazing! Jul. 2nd, 2009 @ 01:35 PM Reply

graphics suck controls ify no story

need programmers for game. pm me if your interested.

globulous
globulous
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Test my amazing game! It's amazing! Jul. 2nd, 2009 @ 01:55 PM Reply

This is awesome.
Just for being a little engine like this, I had fun playing.
Although, I could only get up to N even though I was slaughtering everyone, including cops, and exploding cars as fast as I could.

SonOfChaos
SonOfChaos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Test my amazing game! It's amazing! Jul. 2nd, 2009 @ 08:43 PM Reply

Great job dude.

Speyedur
Speyedur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Test my amazing game! It's amazing! Nov. 9th, 2009 @ 04:31 PM Reply

Wow that is a very good game!!! But i think you need more weapons not kust your fists maybe cars but that could get a little complicated but the one thing i dont like is if you get shot by a cop you go flying back vety far for a person without a gun but other than that its beautiful and making a tutorial couldent hurt...

<speyedur>

BBS Signature
Speyedur
Speyedur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Test my amazing game! It's amazing! Nov. 9th, 2009 @ 04:34 PM Reply

At 7/2/09 01:35 PM, lgnxhll wrote: graphics suck controls ify no story

dude its just a test game for him (kinda) and its not supposed to have a story and the controls are very good

<speyedur>

BBS Signature