New Topic Respond to this Topic
Dagodevas
Dagodevas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Muslims killing Buddhist monks Feb. 5th, 2004 @ 01:12 PM Reply

At 2/5/04 11:57 AM, Synesthesia wrote: Dude, if you look carefully enough you could find stuff in the bible that's WORSE!

There's even a quote in the Bible where God mentions that his farts smell like roses and he urinates wine or something. NO JOKE! I've read it! I'll see if I can find it sometime.

NEMESiSZ
NEMESiSZ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Blank Slate
Response to Muslims killing Buddhist monks Feb. 5th, 2004 @ 01:40 PM Reply

At 2/5/04 12:58 PM, bumcheekcity wrote: The Bible is mis-represented by the KKK, etc. and Bin Laden mis-reads the Koran. No difference, really.

No, bin laden is taking exactly what the koran says. It's very clearly a violent scripture. Just because not all muslims are violent, it doesn't change what's actually in the koran...but the koran encourages and promotes violence and war, the bible does not.

Thanatopsis
Thanatopsis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Muslims killing Buddhist monks Feb. 5th, 2004 @ 01:57 PM Reply

At 2/5/04 01:40 PM, NEMESiSZ wrote:
At 2/5/04 12:58 PM, bumcheekcity wrote:

No, bin laden is taking exactly what the koran says. It's very clearly a violent scripture. Just because not all muslims are violent, it doesn't change what's actually in the koran...but the koran encourages and promotes violence and war, the bible does not.

bull in the old testament it states that a father can have the town stone his son to death if he is beeing disrespectfull of the father or mother. God struck down a carryer of the arc of the covanent because the cart hit a bump in the road and it caused the arc to bounce. the fact is that god is vengful he comanded the Jews to kill all nations around them women and children included. the old testament is by far more vilent then anyother text i can think of right now. actuly read the whole old testamen all 4 thousand pages from the hurtz humash not from the christian bible because that has been edited signifigantly there are two books worth of storie that were excluded form the bible.

NEMESiSZ
NEMESiSZ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Blank Slate
Response to Muslims killing Buddhist monks Feb. 5th, 2004 @ 04:29 PM Reply

Perhaps, but the bible never says to make holy war on gentiles or non-christians, whereas the koran dictates the world being converted to islam, by force.

Thanatopsis
Thanatopsis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Muslims killing Buddhist monks Feb. 5th, 2004 @ 06:56 PM Reply

oh so stoning your son is better and more tolerable then going on a holy crusaid. and the other part you dont get it the bible does just not srait up god comanded the jews to kill the naboring nations because they did not beleive in the same god. so i dont see much difference between the Quran and the bible or more specificly the old testament.

NEMESiSZ
NEMESiSZ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Blank Slate
Response to Muslims killing Buddhist monks Feb. 5th, 2004 @ 07:13 PM Reply

At 2/5/04 06:56 PM, theredgoatee wrote: oh so stoning your son is better and more tolerable then going on a holy crusaid. and the other part you dont get it the bible does just not srait up god comanded the jews to kill the naboring nations because they did not beleive in the same god. so i dont see much difference between the Quran and the bible or more specificly the old testament.

You have no idea what you're talking about, it's obvious you've never read a bible, a koran, or an elementary school english textbook.

Thanatopsis
Thanatopsis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Muslims killing Buddhist monks Feb. 5th, 2004 @ 07:41 PM Reply

um no its called dislexia moron. some days its better than others but contrary to popular beleife it does effect grammer and word order. and i got a verry good education at my synagauge (sp). which is why i am saying what i am there have been disscusions about why god struck down one of the carriers of the arc of the covent in the main services on saterday.

and as for my personal reading i read for fun Milltions Paradise lost, Ezra Punds poetry and half a dozen other poets works so shut the fuck up untill you come and talk to me face to face about anything other than the topic.

Synesthesia
Synesthesia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Muslims killing Buddhist monks Feb. 5th, 2004 @ 07:58 PM Reply

Here's the thing.
Stop trying to attribute all the problems of the world to ONE group of people.
It's not just Muslims... Druids practiced human sacrafices. As did the Mayans or Aztecs.
In some countries it's perfectly ok to infibrulate a young girl, in others a girl can be KILLED if she looks at a man outside of her family, let alone talks to him.
It is not just Muslims, you'll find a lot of stuff in the bible that is disturbing.
Lot trying to give his virgin daughters to a mob.
A young woman raped and killed and her husband having to be paid like she was a cow or something...
And what can you do about things like this? Refine it away until you see the one thing that REALLY matters and counts in religion, any religion.
Compassion and true morals!

Thanatopsis
Thanatopsis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Muslims killing Buddhist monks Feb. 5th, 2004 @ 08:07 PM Reply

At 2/5/04 07:58 PM, Synesthesia wrote: And what can you do about things like this? Refine it away until you see the one thing that REALLY matters and counts in religion, any religion.
Compassion and true morals!

i agree with you
have you heard a quote by swift: "there is enough religion in the world to make us hate but not enough to make us love." well that is ruffly how it goes and i think that it is still acurite (sp).

bumcheekcity
bumcheekcity
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to Muslims killing Buddhist monks Feb. 6th, 2004 @ 12:18 PM Reply

At 2/5/04 04:29 PM, NEMESiSZ wrote: Perhaps, but the bible never says to make holy war on gentiles or non-christians, whereas the koran dictates the world being converted to islam, by force.

Isn't the story of Noah from the old testement? God himself comitting genocide?

azf
azf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Muslims killing Buddhist monks Mar. 10th, 2004 @ 04:37 PM Reply

This is a common misconception. It clearly says in the Quran that no one can be forced to change their religion. Tolerance of other religions is mandatory. Of course, you'll find isolated instances of Muslims persecuting non-Muslims, but you'll also find lots of instances of non-Muslims persecuting Muslims.

The only type of war that the Quran sanctions is a defensive war in response to persecution. Unfortunately, people like to quote a verse from the middle of that section that says you should fight your enemies. They conveniently leave out the verses before and after that say that the fighting can only be in response to persecution, must stop when the other party sues for peace, and must not harm women or children. If you don't believe what I'm saying, read the Quran for yourself and then decide.

At 2/5/04 04:29 PM, NEMESiSZ wrote: Perhaps, but the bible never says to make holy war on gentiles or non-christians, whereas the koran dictates the world being converted to islam, by force.
bumcheekcity
bumcheekcity
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to Muslims killing Buddhist monks Mar. 10th, 2004 @ 05:00 PM Reply

Dude, why did you bump a month-old topic? I'd just have started a new one.

TheMason
TheMason
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Muslims killing Buddhist monks Mar. 11th, 2004 @ 01:16 PM Reply

At 1/27/04 04:49 PM, NEMESiSZ wrote: No, it doesn't. The Koran is based on violence, the Muslim faith is based on self-propagation by force throughout the world.

It's nice to assume the Bible is equally violent, but it really isn't..if you had read either you'd know this.

I would like to take issue with this. I have studied domestic terrorist groups such as the militia and Patriot movements. I have read their literature and talked to them and learned what their world-view and justifications are. I have done this in pursuit of my University degree.

Many of these groups have taken the bible, to include the New Testament, and perverted its teachings to fit their violent world-view and justify violence. For example; Jesus casting out from the temple the money changers is interpreted by them as legitimizing force in the face of the profane infecting the sacred.

Also, they claim that Jesus himself ordered his disciples to arm themselves (were they not armed when the Romans came to take Jesus, did He not tell one of them to put away his sword?).

Also look at the Old Testament, the story of the Isrealites breaking free from Egyptian bondage to eventually find the land of milk and honey. Along the way they encounter hostile people who either they or God smite. This is a story of the political expansion, oft violent, of God's (and I mean Jehovah not Allah) people.

Debunking conspiracy theories for the New World Order since 1995...
" I hereby accuse you attempting to silence me..." --PurePress

BBS Signature
The-King-of-Wolves
The-King-of-Wolves
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Muslims killing Buddhist monks Mar. 11th, 2004 @ 04:05 PM Reply

It's about interpretation and how liberal you want to be. Using terrorists to illustrate an example of Islam is like using the KKK as the face of Christianity.

These are people that end up defying some of thier own laws.

A fun example of how far interpretation can go is the Crusades. The Muslims had conquered Jerusalem and the Holy Land and had owned it for a while. They lived peacefully with thier Jewish and Christain counterparts and let them practise thier religions in peace. However, Urban II wanted to create the church into a state. He figured if he conducted a crusade and had all of europe backing him they'd elect him general of the armies, as it is a church affair. With military control he could make Europe a Christian kingdom. The one problem Urban II had with getting support early on was the commandment of "thou shalt not kill" and what Jesus said "what you do unto the least of my brothers you do unto me". Everyone turned to the Pope and said, but didn't Christ say not to kill? To which he replied, Christ had been misquoated. He said, that Christ actually said that they shall not kill other Christians , other people it was perfectly fine! Since of course the Pope is Catholic he has that added rule of "Papal Infalibility", meaning whatever the Pope says goes because he can't be wrong. With this out of the way the Pope started gaining some support.

Interpretation.