New Topic Respond to this Topic
Sephtis
Sephtis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Digital drawing advice? Jun. 21st, 2009 @ 03:48 PM Reply

Alright, to best judge what I need to do to improve it's best to show my latest work?

In this one I'll post the scaled version of it, also had to save it as a gif to it would fit. (gone from 1800x2500 to 504x700 and a lower quality compression setting ><). I do have the proper version in my art section, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to link to that :/ .

So i'll take the risk. http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/sepht is/fyonr-neko

Its much harder to be judged when the image is marred by digital compression >>.

Anyway I'm just looking for ways to improve ^^.

Digital drawing advice?

Tommy-Gun
Tommy-Gun
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Digital drawing advice? Jun. 21st, 2009 @ 05:18 PM Reply

I like the background, even though it's a bit too colorful, but it makes the whole image a bit more lively imo.

As for the character, I recommend that you spend more time adding depth to it's face. Right now, the face looks 2d and flat, but that can be fixed by shading the areas that should be darker.

Overall, I think this is a pretty good image. It looks cartoony.

Sephtis
Sephtis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Digital drawing advice? Jun. 21st, 2009 @ 05:20 PM Reply

yeah the face did bother me the most (the second most being her our of proportion legs ^^), Next time I'll make a better effort to round the face. as for the background, they are somthing I can't do I just thorw colour around and hope it works.

BlackmarketKraig
BlackmarketKraig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Artist
Response to Digital drawing advice? Jun. 21st, 2009 @ 05:22 PM Reply

Anatomy...
I'm looking at the head and face and thinking; WTF?

I understand that it's meant to be cartoonish/anime style, but (good) anime has a pretty strong sense of anatomy and the head of your person is quite a bit off.

Also; the background is kind of a mess. Find a theme and go with it, right now it's just ugly looking swirls. I see gothic-loliita style clothes, so maybe hot pink and black broken hearts or something in the background. I'd lose the aura around her as well.

Not bad, all in all, just trying to show you areas where you could improve your picture from my perspective. =]

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature
Sephtis
Sephtis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Digital drawing advice? Jun. 21st, 2009 @ 05:46 PM Reply

constructive critisism is why I made this post, I'm not about to go mad cus your pointing things out that are bad, I know it's got (several) bad points. see the background is where I always mess up, I spend about 2 minutes on it cus I can't think of anything, I was gonna draw something to do with cats, since thats the point of the person outfit ^^. yeah Really don't like how the face ended up. liek I say, next time ^^.