00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

PopiSlim just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

I like rotoscoping. Or something.

809 Views | 6 Replies

I like rotoscoping. Or something. 2009-06-19 11:07:56

Yes, I do realize the term 'rotoscoping' has applied mainly to animation since the early 1900s, but since these images are in that style... well... I'm going with it.

So here's my favorite so far (only have done two so it's not a stretch really), just some random highway in the middle of nowhere.
I was going to detail the road some more but I've only been rotoscoping for less than a day, literally, therefore I decided I'd leave the detail work for another image that I take more joy in completing. I'm including links to my Art portal submissions.

FullSize in link: 1200 x 900 px
This one is called "Where to?" (because Highway to Hell would be too cliche'd, considering my next post. Or would it?)

Dexter Season 5: "Psychopaths in love. It's like Zodiac and Juliet."

Response to I like rotoscoping. Or something. 2009-06-19 11:11:50

Aaaand this is my first work, which I duly decided to ruin with some fonts and a quote from Augusten Burroughs.
Hey, first time, what can I say. I felt that going with such a restrictive palette of colours would allow me to get a feel for the whole thing.

Full Size in link: 1000 x 612 px
I like the quote, and Seattle has amazing buildings. "Intentions"

Oh and by the way, these are all done with a mouse, in Photoshop CS4.

If you love me you'll buy me a tablet before my right hand strangles me in my sleep tonight.

Dexter Season 5: "Psychopaths in love. It's like Zodiac and Juliet."

Response to I like rotoscoping. Or something. 2009-06-19 12:15:06

Rotoscoping is an animation technique in which animators trace over live-action film movement

So, if I'm understanding correctly, you traced over an image and then colored it in, and now you want us to shower your 'art' with praise.

BBS Signature

Response to I like rotoscoping. Or something. 2009-06-19 12:23:55

At 6/19/09 12:15 PM, Little-Eise wrote: So, if I'm understanding correctly, you traced over an image and then colored it in, and now you want us to shower your 'art' with praise.

Quoted for truth.

wew

Response to I like rotoscoping. Or something. 2009-06-19 12:32:49

If you took the photos yourself and did a good job in coloring over the image, then it's art to me.

The first image isn't that great, mostly because of the bold lines that don't change as you move further into the picture.

Second one I like the most because of the simplification of certain parts, but at the same time, keeping the subject clearly understandable. The text is just horrible. It looks like it's just pasted on when it should be a part of the image. Also I don't really understand the connection of the text with the subject of the image.

Even though some might like your art expression, don't get too attached to blatantly tracing images. Maybe next time use a picture as a reference and work on that until you don't even need a reference.

|_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_|

Response to I like rotoscoping. Or something. 2009-06-19 22:03:15

Rotoscoping an image is called tracing. :P

Response to I like rotoscoping. Or something. 2009-06-20 02:41:12

"Why do you hide, stupid aliens? Mr. Zurkon only wishes for to kill you."

BBS Signature