Esn
Esn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to Art Portal!? 2009-06-22 16:19:35 Reply

At 6/22/09 03:46 PM, Chronamut wrote:
At 6/22/09 02:56 PM, Esn wrote: 1) the "rankings" really are AFTER the scouting & gallery view - meaning, they're not on the front page & not so easy to find
but then who would want them?

That's the entire point.

2) there is a minimum # of votes before a submission can even appear on the "rankings". Like 250 votes (it should be high). Hopefully, artists who're that popular already will have better things to do than vote down the art of others, and single votes won't have much effect anyway.
DON'T underestimate the power of people to destroy other people on this site - your idealism has no place here compared to the cold hard facts that people will do anything to get ahead if they see the opportunity.

If you're so sure that there's absolutely no way to mitigate it, then don't have rankings. Period.

3) it's a "top 100 list" that is UNRANKED. Meaning that there is no jockeying for position - a work is either in the top 100 list (assigned a random position every time the page loads) or it's not. And it's impossible to tell if your work is about to drop out, because you can't see if it's in the bottom of the ranking or not.
a random top 100? That sounds a tad useless.. hit and miss popularity.. while it might work at the beginning - once you have over a million submissions is gonna suck majorly.

How so? And it's not useless at all - you won't be able to see who's #1 or who's #100, but that's the whole point - its purpose won't be to get people to vote down each other's submissions, but to present a small "gallery of our best work" for new users to see.

what I suggested is that the unscouted submissions have a shelf life of 2 weeks - if you';re not scouted by then all the unscouted stuff you submitted is purged from the system - and you have to try again - this might help keep the unscouted page at a manageable low - ive noticed it increasing day by day.. it never goes down..

Actually, I've noticed only one new page of unscouted submissions since yesterday. It seems to be very manageable so far. Also, there is ALREADY a limit of 20 submissions that you can submit if you're unscouted. So I don't think there will be a problem.

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Art Portal!? 2009-06-22 16:31:22 Reply

the point is there is still a whole new PAGE of unscouted submissions since yesterday - the pages arent going DOWN - if you addeda new page every day and didnt take away at least 2 you still have an unmaneageable growth issue.

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Art Portal!? 2009-06-22 16:43:06 Reply

actually.. the unscouted page probably just went up a few pages because I have been slingshotted back into unscoutedness sicne their latest update - AGAIN!

is this going to happen every time?

I'm stuck now too, scouted, but unscouted..

kitangelwings
kitangelwings
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Art Portal!? 2009-06-22 18:39:19 Reply

YAY!!!!!! I've already got my things ready just give me the space :D

BlackMorningStudios
BlackMorningStudios
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Art Portal!? 2009-06-22 19:38:24 Reply

Well I guess that means and get the hell off deviant art, or not, but I guess it does make a good addition to newgrounds.

Das ist Alles

BBS Signature
Esn
Esn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to Art Portal!? 2009-06-22 20:08:26 Reply

At 6/22/09 04:43 PM, Chronamut wrote: actually.. the unscouted page probably just went up a few pages because I have been slingshotted back into unscoutedness sicne their latest update - AGAIN!

Me three. I have no idea what happened, either. I feel sorry for the three people I scouted, too. If I get scouted again, do I have to search them out once more? I'm not entirely sure that I remember their usernames.

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Art Portal!? 2009-06-22 20:17:14 Reply

At 6/22/09 08:08 PM, Esn wrote:
At 6/22/09 04:43 PM, Chronamut wrote: actually.. the unscouted page probably just went up a few pages because I have been slingshotted back into unscoutedness sicne their latest update - AGAIN!

Me three. I have no idea what happened, either. I feel sorry for the three people I scouted, too. If I get scouted again, do I have to search them out once more? I'm not entirely sure that I remember their usernames.

you might - you seem to have just been normally unscouted - I scouted you so you're scouted again - unfortunately it doesnt appear as if I can be scouted as it is already showing that I am, but obv. im not.

Esn
Esn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to Art Portal!? 2009-06-22 21:15:15 Reply

A few requests:

1st REQUEST: Can our favourites be in gallery format, rather than in list format?

2nd REQUEST: Please allow me to favourite unscouted art and artists.

There are a number of reasons:
1) Sometimes I see interesting art in the unscouted section, but don't want to take the risk to scout that person because it doesn't quite convince me
2) If people I favourite get unscouted later (for whatever random reason), I assume that their works disappear from my favourites. This is really not ideal.

At 6/22/09 08:17 PM, Chronamut wrote:
At 6/22/09 08:08 PM, Esn wrote: Me three. I have no idea what happened, either. I feel sorry for the three people I scouted, too. If I get scouted again, do I have to search them out once more? I'm not entirely sure that I remember their usernames.
you might - you seem to have just been normally unscouted - I scouted you so you're scouted again - unfortunately it doesnt appear as if I can be scouted as it is already showing that I am, but obv. im not.

Thanks. I hope nothing happens to get YOU unscouted, because then we're back to square one. :p Also, no, the three people I scouted did NOT automatically get rescouted, so I have to search for them again. I found two of them.

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Art Portal!? 2009-06-22 23:32:07 Reply

well.. im not really scouted - I have all the perks for scouting OTHERS - but none of the perks that being scouted gives ME haha.. but ya my scouts remain intact.

I'm like a scout leader! Its like boy scouts hahaha

Esn
Esn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to Art Portal!? 2009-06-23 00:31:45 Reply

At 6/22/09 11:32 PM, Chronamut wrote: well.. im not really scouted - I have all the perks for scouting OTHERS - but none of the perks that being scouted gives ME haha.. but ya my scouts remain intact.

How did that happen? I did notice that I couldn't vote on your submissions... I thought it was a bug in the system.

For the record, I think some of your stuff is really nice and definitely belongs in the portal (eg. Angel Phoenix, Oval Dragon, Kate Moss face), while some looks a bit amateurish.

I've got to take a break from this... the Art Portal is far too addictive.

PinkSkull
PinkSkull
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Animator
Response to Art Portal!? 2009-06-23 01:16:41 Reply

Just a question, if someone reads this..

Do I get scouted as an artist, or my art gets scouted one by one?

Because I submitted something and then got a message I was scouted, then I submited something else, and it said I wasn't scouted yet, and then I recieved another message that said I was scouted by someone else :0

that got me confused D:

DancingTomato
DancingTomato
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to Art Portal!? 2009-06-23 02:33:44 Reply

lol Retrograde 2.0

BBS Signature
Jako-inc
Jako-inc
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Art Portal!? 2009-06-23 06:46:04 Reply

Awesome, now I have a reason to go on Newgrounds again.

Taste my Walrus.
(it's pronounced 'Jay-Ko')

BBS Signature
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Art Portal!? 2009-06-23 07:51:17 Reply

At 6/23/09 12:31 AM, Esn wrote:
At 6/22/09 11:32 PM, Chronamut wrote: well.. im not really scouted - I have all the perks for scouting OTHERS - but none of the perks that being scouted gives ME haha.. but ya my scouts remain intact.

How did that happen? I did notice that I couldn't vote on your submissions... I thought it was a bug in the system.

For the record, I think some of your stuff is really nice and definitely belongs in the portal (eg. Angel Phoenix, Oval Dragon, Kate Moss face), while some looks a bit amateurish.

I've got to take a break from this... the Art Portal is far too addictive.

the range of skill is apparent because I submitted artwork done over a span of 10 years :)

and it seems the second tim your are descouted it doesnt actually descout you.. I dunno.. waiting for the bug fix :)

HEMI9
HEMI9
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Art Portal!? 2009-06-23 12:35:28 Reply

Whos The Bot?

Wow this banner is really old and makes me cringe a little bit

BBS Signature
Toonimated
Toonimated
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Art Portal!? 2009-06-23 12:36:20 Reply

Suggestion>
the art should be available at the user page, I know there is a tab, but to be seen as flash animation at the main user page :P

Magik-Waffle
Magik-Waffle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Gamer
Response to Art Portal!? 2009-06-23 14:26:46 Reply

The Art Portal is gllitchy for me. When I try to get some ratings to disappear to make looking at art easier, it works opposite of what it should. If a rating is highlighted, it doesn't show, but if it's not selected, it does show. Also, the page won't load sometimes and I don't know how to view my favorite art.

I am disappoint.
kingdragonreaper
kingdragonreaper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Art Portal!? 2009-06-23 17:42:28 Reply

Art page isn't even loading for me right now :/
Just a blank page.

JigginWitDaWiggin
JigginWitDaWiggin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Art Portal!? 2009-06-23 18:08:45 Reply

Awesome sauce~

Faires
Faires
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Musician
Response to Art Portal!? 2009-06-23 18:13:27 Reply

Its just asumness. true true...

But it's at the time.....filled with glitches?!?

I hope that stops soon....then I just lurked 'round a lil' bit in the ART-PORTA..and...jes thats nice^^

One Point...:
It should have now a stat for the REVIEWS in the ARTPORTAL!!

That would be nice^^

ART RULEZ X33

Happy X-Mas!!!
Woundersplenndin'!

BBS Signature
TheFantasticTiger
TheFantasticTiger
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Art Portal!? 2009-06-23 18:43:17 Reply

I found the secret image in the art portal...Veeeery clever.

AeonShadow
AeonShadow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Gamer
Response to Art Portal!? 2009-06-23 19:04:59 Reply

The dumb thing is BROKEN. First the thing breaks down and says it doesn't exist, and NOW it's telling me the entire PAGE doesn't exist- just an Internet Explorer error message.

Can somebody PLEASE fix it? Like, quicker than your average snail?!

BBS Signature
nintendork64
nintendork64
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Audiophile
Response to Art Portal!? 2009-06-23 20:40:34 Reply

SWEET! art portal! nice job!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!- Adam Savage, Mythbusters

BBS Signature
GearShifter
GearShifter
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Art Portal!? 2009-06-23 21:32:01 Reply

Very nice.

Foolmoron
Foolmoron
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Game Developer
Response to Art Portal!? 2009-06-23 22:34:08 Reply

How about a section in the Userpages and My Account pages for Art Portal submissions/reviews, etc. like with Flash and Music?

BBS Signature
zenyara
zenyara
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Art Portal!? 2009-06-23 23:27:52 Reply

I can't access the art portal.

I get this error:

<code>
Error 324 (net::ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE): Unknown error.
</code>

EddyDTheDuck
EddyDTheDuck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Art Portal!? 2009-06-24 05:25:18 Reply

At 6/23/09 11:27 PM, zenyara wrote: I can't access the art portal.

I get this error:

<code>
</code>

I get a similar thing, and i have done since yesterday. It's reeeeeeally starting to bug me.

Blud-Shot
Blud-Shot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Art Portal!? 2009-06-24 10:07:37 Reply

Can there be a Hall of Fame for the art portal? The artwork with more than 50 or 100 views and a score of 4.50 or perhaps 4.60 and above are displayed. Can there also be a featured artwork page on the front page of NG?

Visit My Portfolio to see more of my artwork

DOWNLOAD MY COMIC : http://opelm.com/Comic/book1.zip

MediocreUsername
MediocreUsername
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Art Portal!? 2009-06-24 10:12:53 Reply

At 6/24/09 05:25 AM, EddyDTheDuck wrote:
At 6/23/09 11:27 PM, zenyara wrote: I can't access the art portal.

I get this error:

<code>
</code>
I get a similar thing, and i have done since yesterday. It's reeeeeeally starting to bug me.

I'm also getting this. I can't view anything to do with the Art system, including the Portal itself and users galleries.

I would also say that being able to see your art reviews on your userpage would be good.