SCTE3
SCTE3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Musician
Response to Review Request Club Aug. 12th, 2011 @ 04:02 PM Reply

At 8/12/11 03:36 PM, Coop wrote:
At 8/10/11 05:18 PM, SCTE3 wrote: I shall keep this in mind for the future. However putting a cap on the amount of reviews to be submitted by those wanting reviews each week kind of seems bad because less users would request content. I don't think we even hit over 25 very often unless it's summer vacation.
I'm not trying to be a killjoy over this, I just want to make sure that the fair share of flash comes up for review, I mean we're not being douches and getting things to review like There She Is, or Crush The Castle, because that would be overkill, but if there's things out there that we can review and we'll get responses for as well (preferred!), we can all come to some sort of arrangement.

Kind of reminds me of how we had a spotlight review section a long time ago. Users who got 100% could recommend some flash that they thought was underrated for the crew to review. Should we try to bring that back or simply allow members to post some flash content (preferably under 50 reviews you know, so that they can get some good exposure as well) and allow them to request at least 2 per week? I think that would be a nice start anyways.

<3//Request a Review//Review Request Club // #9 Reviewer // #3 Audio Reviewer

BBS Signature
Kaneda-X
Kaneda-X
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Review Request Club Aug. 12th, 2011 @ 04:24 PM Reply

Just curious, but when will I know that I'm a part of this club?

SCTE3
SCTE3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Musician
Response to Review Request Club Aug. 12th, 2011 @ 04:39 PM Reply

At 8/12/11 04:24 PM, Kaneda-X wrote: Just curious, but when will I know that I'm a part of this club?

Did you read my post above on this page under the club rules post? Feel free to join but work on your art reviews.

BBS Signature
Kaneda-X
Kaneda-X
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Review Request Club Aug. 12th, 2011 @ 05:08 PM Reply

At 8/12/11 04:39 PM, SCTE3 wrote:
At 8/12/11 04:24 PM, Kaneda-X wrote: Just curious, but when will I know that I'm a part of this club?
Did you read my post above on this page under the club rules post? Feel free to join but work on your art reviews.

Aye that I did, and I responded. It was unclear whether you were extending an invitation or not though. Thanks.

SkyeWint
SkyeWint
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to Review Request Club Aug. 12th, 2011 @ 09:49 PM Reply

Phew! Almost done with the reviews. That's a really good thing, considering I won't have much of a chance to review before Sunday - need to travel on a plane all the way back to where I live, that'll take something like 10 hours. Blugh. Oh well. I should be able to finish them, thankfully. I think I got a bit lazy with some of them though, towards the end... Though, what do you expect when you review 14 things in a row?

I may actually be able to get another song /kind of/ done and ready for feedback by Monday too. I'm thinking of something in 9/4, 10/4, with a few other odd time signatures. Yay, bass ideas.

Stuff.

My AIM piece is found if you clicky the image.

BBS Signature
TheBellmaker
TheBellmaker
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Review Request Club Aug. 13th, 2011 @ 02:35 AM Reply

I was looking through Fro's guide to writing helpful reviews, but unfortunately, it only covers flash :/
I've noticed that the RRC is getting mostly audio requests these days. Being a mostly audio reviewer, I would like to contribute some tips to writing a good audio review. I won't say that my reviews are the best reviews, but I think I've found out the components of good audio reviews.

----The Bellmaker's impromptu guide to writing audio reviews--------

Preface: As much as audio artists want to be told that "OMG I LOVE YOUR SONG I GIVE YOU 408523042/10", they will take suggestions over mindless praise any day. As Fro said, a review is about helping out your fellow artist or giving advice as an audience member. Even if you give a submission a 10/10, there's always room for improvement. Here are couple types of reviews I find are very helpful.

=Type I Reviews=
Probably the easiest kind of review to write. Type I Review format goes as follows:

-Praise: This is important mostly to keep the artist interested in reading your review. No artist likes to read a 1000 character review full of criticism and pointing out of shortfallings. Usually this section is pretty easy, even a few lines will suffice for adequate praise.
-Suggestions: Pretty self explanatory. Tell the artist what you didn't like, and give advice on how to fix it. This also includes absence of melodies/sfx you feel would have made the song a much better listen. Never write in your review that you don't like a certain beat, or a certain transition, but not tell them how you think it should sound.
-Overall: Basically, just sum up your points, give the reasoning behind your review score in a concise sentence or two, and offer some encouraging words!

Type I reviews I find are the easiest to write when you listen to a track and can name several big suggestions off the top of your head. Usually this occurs when you give a submission a low score. I usually write Type I reviews as payback review (when people review my stuff, I sometimes give theirs a listen). It's probably the most common review type I see, if not the only.

=Type II Reviews=
Type II reviews are time sectioned reviews, useful for reviewing very long songs, or songs that seem to move along very fast. They are also useful if you can't find really anything big to talk about in a Type I review. Type II Reviews are structured as follows:

-Praise: Again, some very short positive statements, ie "Your song is very upbeat, it has a lot of energy"
-0:xx critique
-0:xx critique
-1:xx critique
-Overall: It may be hard to sum up everything if it is a long submission. Usually a couple statements explaining your score will suffice.

An example of a Type II review would be:

-I like this and that and these and those
-0:15 I like how that instrument comes in, but it's too loud, turn it down
-0:46 Very creative transition, but I feel it is incomplete, you should add these
-1:46 Damn, that was awesome! maybe a little more filter over here?
-Overall, me gusta

Basically, you'd be writing a bunch of mini type I reviews for specified time segments in the song. I find this very helpful when I'm listening to 7 minute tracks or skipping around. It also helps the artist a lot, because you are being very specific with your criticism, and it helps you a lot, because it lets you address many issues in your reviews, making them more high quality.

=Type III Review=

Type III Reviews are somewhat easier to write, I find, than type II reviews. Type III reviews are highly structured, as follows:

-Praise
-Introduction: Mini type I about specifically the introduction.
-Conclusion: " "
-Leads/Instrument: Mini type I about instrument selection/mixing
-Percussion: " "
-Melodies: Mini type I about melodies
-Rhythm: " "
-Lyrics: If it has any
-Overall

Basically it is a categorized review. The categories don't have to be in any specific order, nor do they have to be the ones mentioned above. However, I find that type III reviews are the most detailed and comprehensive reviews. I've easily exhausted half my character limit on reviews on Type III's. If you wanted to, and you have had a bunch of spare time, instead of writing mini type I reviews, you could write mini type II reviews in each section. It would be like a review within a review within a review....

Overall

Type I: Good for med-length tracks, if there are many obvious suggestions
Type II: Good for long-length tracks, if there are few obvious suggestions
Type III: Good for short-length tracks, if there are few obvious suggestions

-------/TheBellmaker's impromptu guide to writing audio reviews---------
Since I'm not reviewing here anymore, I thought I'd contribute something to the club. Seriously, you guys rock for what you are doing for us XD.

Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 59
Writer
Response to Review Request Club Aug. 13th, 2011 @ 06:05 AM Reply

At 8/13/11 02:35 AM, TheBellmaker wrote: ----The Bellmaker's impromptu guide to writing audio reviews--------

Forgive me for sounding a bit pissy about this, but looking quickly at your reviews, I noticed that you left one that was about a paragraph long. I know quantity =/= quality, but surely you could have written more here, considering that you've written an impromptu science for the composition of Audio Reviews.

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey
News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
TheBellmaker
TheBellmaker
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Review Request Club Aug. 13th, 2011 @ 06:34 AM Reply

At 8/13/11 06:05 AM, Coop wrote:
At 8/13/11 02:35 AM, TheBellmaker wrote: ----The Bellmaker's impromptu guide to writing audio reviews--------
Forgive me for sounding a bit pissy about this, but looking quickly at your reviews, I noticed that you left one that was about a paragraph long. I know quantity =/= quality, but surely you could have written more here, considering that you've written an impromptu science for the composition of Audio Reviews.

When I enacted the three for one deal on my last two songs, I scaled the length of my three payback reviews to the length of their original review. If someone was kind enough to give me a detailed analysis, I paid back their kindness accordingly. If someone left me a one sentence comment, I gave them my absolute minimum.

MeteorManMike
MeteorManMike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Musician
Response to Review Request Club Aug. 13th, 2011 @ 08:38 AM Reply

I would like to humbly request that this submission be taken into consideration as my contribution to the upcoming RRC game. Use it as you see fit, and of course, reviews are much appreciated.

• M3- Prepare for Launch
    M3- Prepare for Launch by MeteorManMike

Click to listen.

Score
    0 / 5.00
    Type
    Loop
    Genre
    Dance
    Popularity

Now that that's finished, time to start doing some reviews of my own...

SCTE3
SCTE3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Musician
Response to Review Request Club Aug. 13th, 2011 @ 11:15 AM Reply

Guide seems to be pretty nice TheBellmaker and yea, that guide I did was back when I had flash too. If I ever got flash on my current OS I would likely make it a multi-guide including the guides of several users in it. The main menu allowing one to decide which kind of guide to check out and then once on that page they could look at the guides of several users who have written flash/audio/art/abusive review guides.

BBS Signature
KaoticAlchemist
KaoticAlchemist
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Review Request Club Aug. 13th, 2011 @ 01:55 PM Reply

Would love to have my newest song reviewed. Thanks guys! ^_^
Hyper-Vigilance

If things don't go your way, my advice? Fuck the world and go play some video games...
Aerospacial by DJ Rolf

dontpanic01
dontpanic01
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Review Request Club Aug. 13th, 2011 @ 02:10 PM Reply

• stfu dramaqueen
    stfu dramaqueen by dontpanic01

Click to listen.

Score
    3.00 / 5.00
    Type
    Loop
    Genre
    Miscellaneous
    Popularity

get to it when you guys can, and rip it to peices, I won't take it personally

apparently I'm clever enough to declare myself as a dumbass

DdyCat
DdyCat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Review Request Club Aug. 13th, 2011 @ 03:37 PM Reply

• Disco Beats - DaddyCat
    Disco Beats - DaddyCat by DdyCat

Click to listen.

Score
    3.54 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    House
    Popularity

A review would be much appreciated

SCTE3
SCTE3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Musician
Response to Review Request Club Aug. 13th, 2011 @ 04:10 PM Reply

All requests have been reviewed for the week.

BBS Signature
Dj-Zexus
Dj-Zexus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Review Request Club Aug. 13th, 2011 @ 06:22 PM Reply

MeteorManMike
MeteorManMike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Musician
Response to Review Request Club Aug. 13th, 2011 @ 10:19 PM Reply

Crap. Didn't realize our vacation is tomorrow, and not next week. I'm not getting all the reviews done, yet again. I will be gone until Thurs, with limited internet access, if any. We'll see what happens.

SkyeWint
SkyeWint
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to Review Request Club Aug. 13th, 2011 @ 11:02 PM Reply

All reviews done. I might do the extra audio tomorrow morning or tomorrow night though, if I get the time.

Stuff.

BBS Signature
SkyeWint
SkyeWint
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to Review Request Club Aug. 14th, 2011 @ 01:24 AM Reply

Bellmaker, you should put that on a news post or something and have a link to it. I think it's really good, and a lot of people could benefit from reading it. Possibly something to put on the rules post that's at the top of each section..?

Anyway. That's what I think, take it or leave it.

Stuff.

BBS Signature
TheBellmaker
TheBellmaker
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Review Request Club Aug. 14th, 2011 @ 02:07 AM Reply

At 8/14/11 01:24 AM, SkyeWintrest wrote: Bellmaker, you should put that on a news post or something and have a link to it. I think it's really good, and a lot of people could benefit from reading it. Possibly something to put on the rules post that's at the top of each section..?

Anyway. That's what I think, take it or leave it.

Ah, great idea. I think I'll put it in my sig too.
The link to my news post is here: http://thebellmaker.newgrounds.com/news/
post/618219

Feel free to use my guide in the rules post if you want.

SCTE3
SCTE3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Musician
Response to Review Request Club Aug. 14th, 2011 @ 09:26 AM Reply

At 8/14/11 12:40 AM, sontuk wrote: Can I join?

I've done a few audio reviews, a couple flash reviews and an art review. I think I am quite capable of writing reviews and I enjoy doing them. So?

Your most recent review for flash, reviews for audio, and reviews for art seem to be pretty good. Feel free to join.

BBS Signature
SCTE3
SCTE3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Musician
Response to Review Request Club Aug. 14th, 2011 @ 12:45 PM Reply

NOTE - READ THESE RULES, EVEN IF YOU HAVE ALREADY READ THE RULES IN THE FIRST POST. THEY ARE AN UPDATED VERSION OF THE RULES IN THE FIRST POST AND THEY HAVE NEW IMPORTANT RULES!

Hello! Welcome to the new Review Request Club thread. This thread is meant to give the club a fresh start and make it a pleasant place to stay. In order to do this, it goes without saying that you must follow the regular BBS rules and read the C&C Advice Thread before posting if you are new to this forum.

This club aims to increase the exposure of the most under-rated Newgrounds music, art and flash artists. The other major purpose of the club is to offer the Newgrounds artists high quality feedback so they can constantly improve their work.

To the requesters:
Every Newgrounds user is allowed to request a review as soon as he submitted something. To get your work reviewed, don't post here without thinking but follow these few rules:

- Post a direct link to the submission(s) you want reviewed.
- Make no more than 3 Flash and Art requests between two updates (that's one week), and no more than 3 Audio Requests between 5 updates (that's four weeks).
- Please respond to reviews, reviewers like it and some of them are statwho... oh wait, interested in stats.
- Be patient. Due to the points system, you may not see reviews until up to two weeks after you requested, or if you requested more than 1 Audio submission, you may not see reviews on your second submission up until 3 weeks after you requested, and you may not see reviews on your third submission up until 4 weeks after you requested.
- Do NOT request without posting a link, be kind, reviewers are not robots.
- Do NOT simply say "Review everything" or just link to your profile.
- Do NOT request reviews for the same submission more than once.
- Do NOT request reviews for a submission with over 50 reviews.
- Do NOT request reviews for spam. Spam is only there to annoy, not to be critically analyzed.
- Unless you are a club member, only request reviews for YOUR OWN submissions.

To the reviewers:
If you want to join the club and complete requests, simply post in the thread saying you would like to join. Then, regular members will go through your reviews and determine if they are good enough to be part of the club. Your reviews are required to be helpful, developed and well-organised. If you need help with writing good reviews, read Fro's guide to writing helpful reviews.

Once you are accepted, you can start reviewing stuff. If you are a new member of the club, once you understand how the point system works, please post - one or two days before the update - the total points you've earned during the week. This is considered as a sort of application form, and if you fail to do so, you will NOT be added to the club.

Points System:
List updaters will keep track of each member's points in order to build a list. You don't need to post your points before each update but you can keep track of your score on your own so any error can be fixed. This is how points are counted:

5 points for a review on a requested submission (movie, game, art, or audio).
1 point for writing "Review Request Club" at the bottom of a requested review.
3 points for posting at least once throughout the two weeks.
5 points for referring a new member (must mention you in first post).
7 points for reviewing all requests/recommendations between two updates.

Club Updates:
Each Sunday or Monday, a list of all the members is created, counting up their points, featuring various stats and posting a list of requested submissions. Assuming you review the submissions in that list, you will get points for them accordingly in the following members' update, around a week later.

Don't forget the lists are built and updated by humans so it may be possible the update is delayed due to various real life reasons. If it ever occurs, don't get mad; calm down and wait :).

Frequently Asked Questions:

Should we have an FAQ?
I don't know. It kinda seems like overkill.

Why a new thread?
The main idea was to give the club a new and fresh start. Since the old one was flooded by requests and not updated any more, the RRC regulars thought creating a new thread would be best for the club.

Should I link to the club in my forum signature?
There's no obligation to do so, but it's certainly appreciated. Remember that you can put a high number in place of the page number in the URL and if that page doesn't exist yet, Newgrounds will take you to the latest page, whatever it is. For example, "http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/107 2042/999" will take you to the latest page of this club.

RRC Signature?
Yes, at the end of each review, if you want you can write down 'Review Request Club'. There is no obligation to do so, but you'll get +1 point if you put the RRC signature in your review. You can add anything you want to it, E.G.: *Review Request Club*, |Review Request Club|, -Review Request Club-, etc, but as long as 'Review Request Club' is clearly written, you will get the point. You are also allowed to add the sig in any reviews other than requests in this club, as long as you are a club member yourself. It's all the more exposure for the club, and it's very much appreciated.

+1 point if I put the RRC signature in my review... I'm not sure if I get it correctly.
You gain 6 points for a review on a request with "Review Request Club" in the end of it, as opposed to 5 points if you hadn't added the signature at the end. If it's still not clear, read this.

Does the Review Request Club review for non-NG stuff?
No. It must be an NG submission. If you have a non-NG submission which you would like us to review, then use your common sense and upload it to NG. Also, we will only review using the 'Write a Review' method on submissions. We won't send reviews by PM, review in your newspost or review in any particular thread of yours.

Do I have to review all the requests?
No you don't have to, just do your best :). Though completing them all will give you 7 extra points.

Which requests should I review?
If you want to get points for the next member's update, look for the latest requests list in the club thread and review the requests from that list. If you review any requests from various posts in the thread which would have been posted after the latest requests list, you will be getting points for the member's update after the next one.

can u review allz mah flashz guise? kthxbai.
No.

If you have more questions, feel free to post about it in the thread or PM a member and if your question is frequently asked, it'll be added to the FAQ.

---

That's all about the club, though this new version of the club couldn't be opened without mentioning the old thread regulars who have made it a great place to spend time. Kudos to Freelance-Magician for creating the original club and to FattyWhale for maintaining it for so long. Thanks also to Sonofkirk for starting this new thread and doing many updates.

Have fun!

Useful links: RRC - The point system, clarified, Fro's Guide to Writing Helpful Reviews, Fro's Guide to Writing Good Reviews

Resources: Old Review Request Club thread, Club info, Google.

BBS Signature
SCTE3
SCTE3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Musician
Response to Review Request Club Aug. 14th, 2011 @ 12:46 PM Reply

At 8/14/11 12:44 PM, sontuk wrote:
Sweet. So all I do is just review everything that comes up next update? Am I a member then?

Sure thing as long as the reviews are at least two paragraphs and not going off subject then sure. We usually update on Monday so you have time to review things from page 202.

BBS Signature
Herdunculus
Herdunculus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Review Request Club Aug. 14th, 2011 @ 12:55 PM Reply

Please check out my latest song! I might need to fix it, not sure if I will. Thanks club.

• Cursed - Adam Doan
    Cursed - Adam Doan by Herdunculus

Click to listen.

Score
    0 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Dubstep
    Popularity

Check my SoundCloud Here!

MaestroCC
MaestroCC
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Filmmaker
Response to Review Request Club Aug. 14th, 2011 @ 04:18 PM Reply

This is not my submission, nor do I know the person who made it. Also, this has, minutes ago, passed judgement with about a 3.60. This is a great flash that deserves some recognition. Now, I know that with it's score, it's bound to be known more, as it's fresh, but I have a sad feeling that it won't. This is "better than 90% of the crap people are posting today" one reviewer said and I agree. I am not a part of this club, so I do not know whether asking you to review someone else's flash is prohibited or not, if so, I apologize, just trying to stay human and help.

While reading this sentence, someone in the world has been born with your name. Congrats.

Signature made by PinkRose11!

BBS Signature
Dj-GST
Dj-GST
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Audiophile
Response to Review Request Club Aug. 14th, 2011 @ 06:38 PM Reply

Hey guys, can you review my track please?

Hype the Core (Silv3Ster Remix) - Spirit Wolf feat. Carlos Equihua

SkyeWint
SkyeWint
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to Review Request Club Aug. 14th, 2011 @ 06:58 PM Reply

At 8/14/11 04:18 PM, MaestroCC wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/57 6962
This is not my submission, nor do I know the person who made it. Also, this has, minutes ago, passed judgement with about a 3.60. This is a great flash that deserves some recognition. Now, I know that with it's score, it's bound to be known more, as it's fresh, but I have a sad feeling that it won't. This is "better than 90% of the crap people are posting today" one reviewer said and I agree. I am not a part of this club, so I do not know whether asking you to review someone else's flash is prohibited or not, if so, I apologize, just trying to stay human and help.

I don't think the rules say anything about requesting other people's work. I know I'll probably review it either way, if it's supposedly better than 90% of what people are posting.

Stuff.

BBS Signature
SCTE3
SCTE3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Musician
Response to Review Request Club Aug. 14th, 2011 @ 07:38 PM Reply

At 8/14/11 04:18 PM, MaestroCC wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/57 6962

Seeing as it has less than 50 reviews and we don't usually have a large amount of flash requests I would be more than happy to add it to the list of things to be reviewed.

BBS Signature
MaestroCC
MaestroCC
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Filmmaker
Response to Review Request Club Aug. 14th, 2011 @ 07:58 PM Reply

And with my good deed for the day, I am out. Cheers guys. You're swell!

While reading this sentence, someone in the world has been born with your name. Congrats.

Signature made by PinkRose11!

BBS Signature
sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to Review Request Club Aug. 15th, 2011 @ 03:10 AM Reply

And thus the powerpuff girls were born!

I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile