New Topic Respond to this Topic
Vault13dweller
Vault13dweller
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Writer
Newgrounds Steampunk Club (ngspc) 2009-06-17 22:35:44 Reply

Join this crew to say that you think the Steampunk genre is cool, solid, wicked, awesome, or whatever word you want to use. Talk about kickass steampunk video games, movies, books, etc. Please don't flame, spam, or hate. Simply declare that you would like to join, to join, and then use this spiffy sig to declare so, and make your sig clickable back to this forum. optional, of course.

Also, I made this sig in MS Paint, which is why it isn't very good, if someone has the skills to make a better one, please do so and post!

Thanks!

Newgrounds Steampunk Club (ngspc)

BBS Signature
XtremeofParanoia
XtremeofParanoia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Steampunk Club (ngspc) 2009-06-17 22:48:26 Reply

Curious thought: what's steampunk?

Vault13dweller
Vault13dweller
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Writer
Response to Newgrounds Steampunk Club (ngspc) 2009-06-17 22:49:46 Reply

At 6/17/09 10:48 PM, XtremeofParanoia wrote: Curious thought: what's steampunk?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steampunk

BBS Signature
CryogenChaos
CryogenChaos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Steampunk Club (ngspc) 2009-07-16 23:15:56 Reply

Ah, Steampunk. What a wonderful concept! Let's start off with a short FAQ about steampunk for those new to the subculture.

What is Steampunk?

Very good question, and there are different (but similar) answers out there. Generally speaking, Steampunk is a genre of fiction set somewhere in the 1800's during the Victorian Era. The fictional part comes in that technology has gone a bit skewed - though the exact methods vary, generally steam-powered devices that would have been impossible or unfeasible at the time are found to exist. Examples include steam-robots, flying castles, under-water bases, moon rockets, time machines etc.

Steampunk has gone by many names and has very close relations, including (but not limited to) -

Victorian Science Fiction - Steampunk by any other name, though possibly leaning more towards fiction actually written in Victorian era, as opposed to fiction retroactively set in Victorian times. Abbreviated as VSF.

Gaslamp Fantasy - The Girl Genius equivalent of Steampunk, with more leeway for very tight bodices, slapstick comedy and non-humans. Not set in any real Victorian historical location, Girl Genius has its own time and place.

Fireside Science Fiction - A warm and cozy alternative name where decent Victorian gentlefolk may begin their adventure around a fireplace with a small brandy, but could end up on the moon or beyond!

Neo-Victoriania - A Japanese originated alternative where the aim is to recreate certain Victorian aspects of life using modern tools and ways. Elegant Gothic Lolita is a variety of Neo-Victoriania, and were this some kind of many limbed diagram, we'd be at our closest point to Gothic in Neo-Victoriania.

Wild/Weird West - Specifically focused on the American West in the 19th Century, and you'll find cowboys and scientists alongside saloon girls and giant mechanical spiders.

Voyages Extraordinaire - The title of the series of works of Jules Verne, when he decided to explore the wonders and potential of science and exploration in his tales of adventure. Now almost synonymous with Victorian adventures with a larger than life twist.

Scientific Romance - An early, mostly British, name for science fiction, that fell out of fashion, but was also used to describe Verne's works. Now being used more for nostalgic Victorian based science fiction - just how I like my Steampunk!

So, what, it's just a bunch of stuff covered in brass and gears?

Well, no. Brass and gears are just really well known in the subculture, like goggles. Anything that presents technology from a Victorian-era standpoint could be considered Steampunk.

Do I have to do anything special to be a part of this culture?

Aside from having an interest in it, not really. The great thing about Steampunk is that it's so widespread that your style involving Neo-Victorian clothing and/or tech could be completely your own, and it would still be greatly accepted by the community. Overall, just keep an eye on Steampunk websites (as well as this club!), and I'm sure you will discover your very own Steampunk flavour or equivalent.

You mentioned websites. What websites, specifically?

Brass Goggles is a great place to start. The Steampunk Home blog is also a good place to go. And, as always, the Wikipedia article about Steampunk is good if you're still clueless.

XIII13
XIII13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Steampunk Club (ngspc) 2009-08-10 14:30:19 Reply

Hey, I've always thought Steampunk was cool. Never read any stories, but I've seen a few pictures and would like to know more. Can I join?

This looks froody.

BBS Signature
Vault13dweller
Vault13dweller
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Writer
Response to Newgrounds Steampunk Club (ngspc) 2009-08-23 15:06:08 Reply

At 8/10/09 02:30 PM, XIII13 wrote: Hey, I've always thought Steampunk was cool. Never read any stories, but I've seen a few pictures and would like to know more. Can I join?

No need to ask my friend. :-D

BBS Signature
DrunkDemon
DrunkDemon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Steampunk Club (ngspc) 2009-08-23 15:57:22 Reply

I am so in. After seeing Damnation, I am in love with it.

Live life to the fullest, and make sure you fit some hookers in there too.
It hungers for more...
The Power Of Pinesol

BBS Signature
AJ
AJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Movie Buff
Response to Newgrounds Steampunk Club (ngspc) 2009-08-23 16:07:57 Reply

I'm not into the club idea, but I'm super bored, so I'll just leave this here. Take it or leave it. I'm new to photoshop.

ChemicalReaper
ChemicalReaper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Steampunk Club (ngspc) 2009-08-23 16:12:20 Reply

Steampunk is awesome. I don't have room for the signature picture, though.

Currently I'm looking online to buy some a reproduction Victorian-era suit. AWESOME!

Clicky, clicky!
^ No seriously; your mouse will thank you for it :D

MoonGobler
MoonGobler
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Steampunk Club (ngspc) 2009-08-27 15:26:42 Reply

I am highly interested in steampunk - related machinery and enjoy drawing my own machines from time to time. :{) (Mustauche).

BBS Signature
AniMetal
AniMetal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Steampunk Club (ngspc) 2009-08-28 00:08:03 Reply

At 8/27/09 05:27 PM, Tramps wrote: FullMetal Alchemist is one of my favourite anime's and I do recall it being steampunk. ;)

It had robotic limbs - Other than that, what was steam punk about it?

Great show though, i'd like to join also. :D

Make war, not love.

BBS Signature
Oddity89
Oddity89
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Animator
Response to Newgrounds Steampunk Club (ngspc) 2009-08-28 02:36:32 Reply

I've always been infatuated with steampunk, even before I knew what the heck it was.

Count me in ^_^

PKMH
PKMH
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Steampunk Club (ngspc) 2009-10-28 16:29:50 Reply

I just finished the book "Leviathan" by Scott Westerfeld.
Great read.It's Steampunk army vs. genetically modified animal army.

That sounds odder if you write it down.......

Riki
Riki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Steampunk Club (ngspc) 2010-01-06 14:31:53 Reply

i <3 steampunk
i actually recently (back in november) attended a steampunk fetish night at a night club in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. it was amazing.

i have club pictures on my facebook.

how do you join?

BBS Signature
Vault13dweller
Vault13dweller
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Writer
Response to Newgrounds Steampunk Club (ngspc) 2010-03-18 20:12:26 Reply

At 1/6/10 02:31 PM, Riki wrote: i <3 steampunk
i actually recently (back in november) attended a steampunk fetish night at a night club in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. it was amazing.

i have club pictures on my facebook.

how do you join?

that has got to be one of the most FUCKING AWESOME (and somehow sexy) things I've ever seen.

BBS Signature
Vault13dweller
Vault13dweller
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Writer
Response to Newgrounds Steampunk Club (ngspc) 2010-03-18 20:26:21 Reply

Hey, fellow Steampunk fans! I made us a new sig, featuring Abe Lincoln himself!

BBS Signature
Echnaret
Echnaret
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Voice Actor
Response to Newgrounds Steampunk Club (ngspc) 2010-03-21 23:01:25 Reply

Totally joining this club. I've been far too obsessed with Girl Genius recently not too. I'm also swiping that banner for my sig. :-)

I made a short story about a Penguin who goes fishing. It's like Peter and the Wolf, but more self-critical.
Listen!

BBS Signature
Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to Newgrounds Steampunk Club (ngspc) 2010-03-22 00:19:03 Reply

can I join?

Vault13dweller
Vault13dweller
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Writer
Response to Newgrounds Steampunk Club (ngspc) 2010-03-23 01:14:17 Reply

At 3/22/10 12:19 AM, Dante-Son-Of-Sparda wrote: can I join?

WHY DO PEOPLE KEEP ASKING?

BBS Signature
Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 53
Audiophile
Response to Newgrounds Steampunk Club (ngspc) 2010-03-23 02:00:33 Reply

I've always found Steampunk an interesting concept. I've only ever played one Steampunk game before which was Dark Chronicle back on the PS2. Damn fine game, no idea why I sold it.

I would love to know if there are any other Steampunk games out there that I would likely like, or even books you recommend? It's certainly something I want to get more into.

Also; Riki, looking hot as usual.

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature
Vault13dweller
Vault13dweller
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Writer
Response to Newgrounds Steampunk Club (ngspc) 2010-03-25 02:03:54 Reply

At 3/23/10 02:00 AM, Gagsy wrote: I've always found Steampunk an interesting concept. I've only ever played one Steampunk game before which was Dark Chronicle back on the PS2. Damn fine game, no idea why I sold it.

I would love to know if there are any other Steampunk games out there that I would likely like, or even books you recommend? It's certainly something I want to get more into.

Also; Riki, looking hot as usual.

Though it is from the "developer" Southpeak *gigglesnort*, Edge of Twilight looks cool, and the THIEF games are steampunk, and amazing! And the forementioned Leviathan, and then there's Girl Genius... There was a book series called "Mortal Engines" about moving cities, that was steampunk. OH! And DAMNATION. that looks like a good game.

BBS Signature
axlisbak
axlisbak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Steampunk Club (ngspc) 2010-03-25 10:22:30 Reply

anyone seen steamboy? its a pretty good anime movie made in 2004 (i think) and at the time it was the most expensive and animated anime movie japan had ever released. if you havent seen it i would reccommend getting the dvd

Echnaret
Echnaret
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Voice Actor
Response to Newgrounds Steampunk Club (ngspc) 2010-03-26 01:48:09 Reply

At 3/25/10 10:22 AM, axlisbak wrote: anyone seen steamboy? its a pretty good anime movie made in 2004 (i think) and at the time it was the most expensive and animated anime movie japan had ever released.

I saw it a couple months ago in a DVD table at some store (forget which), and picked it up. I thought the plot was a little weak, but visually, it was amazing. I loved the scenery and watching all the machines in action. I can't imagine trying to build something like the Steam House today (ignoring the impracticableness of the steam balls) . Think about how much metal it would require...

I made a short story about a Penguin who goes fishing. It's like Peter and the Wolf, but more self-critical.
Listen!

BBS Signature
Echnaret
Echnaret
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Voice Actor
Response to Newgrounds Steampunk Club (ngspc) 2010-03-26 04:01:03 Reply

Has anyone ever been to a Steampunk exhibition or convention? I just found this site, and I'd love to attend that next year (if I'm free/in the area).

Listen!

BBS Signature
Elixur
Elixur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Newgrounds Steampunk Club (ngspc) 2010-04-14 03:42:03 Reply

I recently just discovered the genre and was about to make a club on it, when i stumbled across this club. It's not very active, which is a shame, but I would love to join. I have yet to actually attend a convention or anything, because I'm new to the idea, but I would love to learn more.

I love the style and how you appreciate everything machine like and ancient, and put a flair to it that makes it breathe a new life. Don't know why, but I'm extremely intrigued with Steampunk.

I did however buy one of these steampunk necklaces online and plan to buy many more apparel in the future. Will post more when I acquire them and if I eventually assemble an entire outfit, I'll post myself dressed in such.

Necklace~

This isn't a picture of my exact one, but mine looks just like it.

Also, I'd love to join.

BBS Signature
Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 59
Writer
Response to Newgrounds Steampunk Club (ngspc) 2010-04-14 08:04:06 Reply

At 6/17/09 10:35 PM, Sds71295 wrote: Talk about kickass steampunk video games, movies, books, etc.

Not too long ago, we had a contest for people to write their very own pieces of punk fiction for Hallowe'en.

It was a good competition, to be honest.

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey
News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
Zakkles
Zakkles
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Steampunk Club (ngspc) 2010-04-21 22:03:11 Reply

May I join as well? My favoritee example of Steampunk is the Dwemer art in the game Morrowind. That's some amazing shit right there. Also, if anyone is a good steampunk artist, I need a new sig. AND a background for my computer. Sorry if I asked too much.

[insert drumroll and obvious observation here, dumbass]

BBS Signature
Gobblemeister
Gobblemeister
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Newgrounds Steampunk Club (ngspc) 2010-04-21 22:18:10 Reply

I've always loved the way Steampunk uses steam itself to make engaging art. I love when they have the giant, intricate designs that have steam pouring from all directions.

It makes it a very busy form of animation and is highly engaging. I can't say i've watched much if any Steampunk.

But I love the idea of 'modernizing' Victorian era settings. It's an inventive model I wish I saw more.

Zakkles
Zakkles
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Steampunk Club (ngspc) 2010-04-21 22:24:13 Reply

At 4/21/10 10:18 PM, Gobblemeister wrote: I've always loved the way Steampunk uses steam itself to make engaging art. I love when they have the giant, intricate designs that have steam pouring from all directions.

It makes it a very busy form of animation and is highly engaging. I can't say i've watched much if any Steampunk.

But I love the idea of 'modernizing' Victorian era settings. It's an inventive model I wish I saw more.

Yeah, my friend is trying to get into steampunk art. He isn't very good as of now, but I can telll it'll get better. Here's an idea I try a lot: Just look up Steampunk or Steampunk designs or some stuff like that, after a bit you can find some cool sites. Animes sometimes have steampunk parts of their designs, but there aren't many.

But you're right, it deserves more than it has.

[insert drumroll and obvious observation here, dumbass]

BBS Signature
Echnaret
Echnaret
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Voice Actor
Response to Newgrounds Steampunk Club (ngspc) 2010-05-25 23:24:20 Reply

Last month, I went to a linux/sci fi convention (though it has really started branching out into other areas). There was a little bit of steampunk stuff that appeared there: they had a few steampunk panels, and a few people selling steampunk costumes in the dealer's room. I got a pair of steampunk goggles, maybe I'll post a picture of them in the future.

Does anyone know if there are any steampunk-related Flash videos on Newgrounds?

Listen!

BBS Signature