00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

spacedoodles just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Snes Rom Sprite Editor

7,884 Views | 8 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Snes Rom Sprite Editor 2009-06-11 12:26:19

I'm looking for a program that will let me edit the appearance of characters and backgrounds in SNES ROMS for Windows.
I do own the ROMS legally, just in case you were wondering.
I use SNES9X Emulator, just in case it makes a difference.
I intend to edit the graphics in such a way as to make the game remain playable, so I think I need more than a basic sprite ripper....
Does anyone know a good program for this task?

Fireworks Collab!!!!!! I need a programmer, PM me for details!!!!!

*Explodes violently*

*Listens to splatter*

Response to Snes Rom Sprite Editor 2009-06-11 13:37:00

Response to Snes Rom Sprite Editor 2009-06-11 15:04:49

At 6/11/09 01:37 PM, Super-Yombario wrote: There's no such thing as legal ROMs, so you know...

Haahahaha

Such emulators have the potential to significantly damage a worldwide entertainment software industry which generates over $15 billion annually, and tens of thousands of jobs.

I'm assuming that most people who play ROMs of Nintendo games are playing NES, SNES, N64, and GBA games, seeing as how NDS emulation sucks and I can't even imagine how bad Wii emulation would be. And seeing as how they don't sell NES, SNES, N64, and GBA games/systems anymore, they wouldn't be making any money in the first place.

Posted from Linux. Distro may vary.

Response to Snes Rom Sprite Editor 2009-06-11 16:00:48

At 6/11/09 01:37 PM, Super-Yombario wrote: There's no such thing as legal ROMs, so you know...

While I respect your adherence to the letter of the law, I personally choose to uphold the spirit of the law, which is to say that I:
A: Own at least one legal copy of the game
B: Own at least one legal copy of the system
C: Download no ROMS that the company can still profit from in original form
D: Don't have both games running at the same time
E: Don't share ROMS with anyone without proof they own the original
F: Don't make any profit from the ROMS
G: Am more than willing to pay the cost of the original game if the company cares to protest my download

While I understand that it is still considered illegal, I believe that I am morally clear.
One of the main points of contention regarding ROMS on the page you displayed that I did not cover is that the owner of the copywrite has the right to make newer versions of the game; this is very true, and I have bought several of these newer versions simply because they have made them. For example Mario64 was re-released for DS with new characters, better graphics, and several other additions. I now own Mario64 DS, dispite also owning Mario64 and a Mario64 ROM.

*Explodes violently*

*Listens to splatter*

Response to Snes Rom Sprite Editor 2009-06-11 16:20:41

You ever read the back of a Nintendo manual? If I could find one, I'd quote everything it says.

Response to Snes Rom Sprite Editor 2009-06-11 18:31:13

And I would laugh. Sorry, I just don't think I'm hurting anybody except the poor garage sale guy who wants a nickel for his crapped-out copy of Donkey Kong Country 2.

*Explodes violently*

*Listens to splatter*

Response to Snes Rom Sprite Editor 2009-06-11 18:31:23

Let's just stick to the question. It's a matter of replacing data. You just need to know what to replace, where it is stored and how it is stored. All of these may and does vary depending on each game and the data in question. If you have to ask, you will not be able to do it. You need serious reverse engineering skills for this.

Each time someone abuses hittest, God kills a kitten. Please, learn real collision testing.

Response to Snes Rom Sprite Editor 2009-06-12 10:16:38

At 6/11/09 06:31 PM, JeremieCompNerd wrote: And I would laugh. Sorry, I just don't think I'm hurting anybody except the poor garage sale guy who wants a nickel for his crapped-out copy of Donkey Kong Country 2.

Regardless, Nintendo doesn't want this to happen and it is illegal. Pot's illegal, and it's never really hurt anybody. I wish ROMs were legal, but they're not and that's the way it is. Being a vigilante and refusing to follow the rules won't save the ROM society, it'll just get you banned.

Response to Snes Rom Sprite Editor 2009-06-12 12:36:42

At 6/11/09 06:31 PM, henke37 wrote: Let's just stick to the question. It's a matter of replacing data. You just need to know what to replace, where it is stored and how it is stored. All of these may and does vary depending on each game and the data in question. If you have to ask, you will not be able to do it. You need serious reverse engineering skills for this.

Well, thank you for sticking to the question. :)
I know this is not an easy task, I was just hoping to have an idea of what tools I would need to learn those skills.... Well, I guess I'll start with a hex editor and a sprite ripper and move on from there then. See ya!

*Explodes violently*

*Listens to splatter*