00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Jibrail just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Laptop for fruity loops?

4,384 Views | 7 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Laptop for fruity loops? 2009-06-10 20:59:55

I want to go out and perform soon cause after 3 years, I finally found that Hardstyle is the genre for me. Unfortunately I have a Full Tower and can't use my bedroom as a venue. Obviously, I need a laptop. I need something that is guaranteed to run fruity loops without crashing, lagging, etc so I can bring it to shows.

PS- I'm really good with computers, but have never once looked at laptop specs, so bare with me on that one.

Response to Laptop for fruity loops? 2009-06-10 21:45:16

At 6/10/09 08:59 PM, cinematicpress wrote: I want to go out and perform soon cause after 3 years, I finally found that Hardstyle is the genre for me. Unfortunately I have a Full Tower and can't use my bedroom as a venue. Obviously, I need a laptop. I need something that is guaranteed to run fruity loops without crashing, lagging, etc so I can bring it to shows.

PS- I'm really good with computers, but have never once looked at laptop specs, so bare with me on that one.

Laptops generally run slower than desktops - they normally have less RAM. Just get one with 4+ gigs and you should be fine (assuming you run FL without other programs up)

Response to Laptop for fruity loops? 2009-06-10 21:48:23

Thanks bro

Response to Laptop for fruity loops? 2009-06-11 02:16:38

Also, I don't know if you would want to run FL studio live, as its more of a producing program. If you can buy it, Ableton Live is the best live mixing tool. A simple and free double deck mixing program is called Virtual DJ as well.. but generally you wouldn't want to use FL studio as a live thing.

Also you can run really any music program on 4+ gigs of ram, my desktop has two and I can run FL and Ableton smoothly.

Hi.

BBS Signature

Response to Laptop for fruity loops? 2009-06-11 03:58:33

CPU is MORE important then memory for FL, althrough both are ofcourse nececery, your CPU is actually WHAT your system can play back at the same time. As you are creating your track your system has to play all the sounds like its still RAW until you render it to MP3, until that time you are using your CPU as the main *mixer* to say it like that. Make sure you do not end up with a 1.6 celeron or antything allong those lines ;p.
And 4 GB with Vista is also nogo... you will loose 1 GB on vista and it will also ony use 3GB out of 4... best thing is just to use a Desktop but if you really REALLY want to use a laptop, make it an xp, dual core (or quad) 4 GB and do NOT hook it on the internet or install any games on it...only makes your performance get lower and it distracts you while creating ;p

Hope it helps, and ofcourse there will be people out there screaming *NO IOR MEMORI IS WAI MOR IMPORTNET THEN CPU* well just let them talk whatever they want... this is my advice after playing around with FL for 5 years and playing around with computers in general for 20 years... have fun arranging a new setup ;) And keep up the creativity.

Retro never get old!

Response to Laptop for fruity loops? 2009-06-12 10:46:40

For a brief while I had a netbook - eventually ditched it cos I got an offer of a full size better spec'd machine to trade but I gotta say as far as ultra mobile music making goes, it's actually possible to get those things to rock pretty hard! I had Reason 4 running quite comfortably. It didn't like the Vocoder or RV7000 too much, but it was actually kinda cool working within limitations. It was still possible to get some really good sounds though. Reaper also ran nicely.

I know it's probably not what you're looking for, but I just thought it was interesting :) If you ever come across one cheap they're great to have for long train rides, or chilling out in....fields...or whatever hehe.

Check it out - also looking for audio/visual collabs so get in touch if you wish :)

Instrumental Progressive Metal from England!

Official Site

BBS Signature

Response to Laptop for fruity loops? 2009-06-13 00:46:06

I ran FL Studio on a low-spec desktop for a while. As far as I can tell, it'll run ok on any new laptop with around a 2Ghz dual core processor, and enough ram to support the program (at least two, because Vista takes one GB). A better soundcard would be a great idea. I saw an external card at newegg.com for 75 bucks, if you've got the coin.

Response to Laptop for fruity loops? 2009-06-13 01:45:35

At 6/10/09 08:59 PM, cinematicpress wrote: I want to go out and perform soon cause after 3 years, I finally found that Hardstyle is the genre for me. Unfortunately I have a Full Tower and can't use my bedroom as a venue. Obviously, I need a laptop. I need something that is guaranteed to run fruity loops without crashing, lagging, etc so I can bring it to shows.

Definately worry more about CPU than RAM!!!

Ram would just help to have a ton of samples at once, which you should have enough with 2GB easily.

CPU however is the main concern. I would spend some extra money to get maybe even a Duo Core 2.5GHz or something around there. I think a good price may be $700, but someone else may have better suggestions/opinions.