Be a Supporter!

What absolute truth can you state?

  • 880 Views
  • 33 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
ilovecandy2
ilovecandy2
  • Member since: May. 30, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Blank Slate
What absolute truth can you state? 2009-06-10 16:52:02 Reply

What absolute truth can you state about time travel that does not lead to a paradox or contradiction?


HEY DUDE WHERES MY CAR

Ironosaur
Ironosaur
  • Member since: Jan. 4, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to What absolute truth can you state? 2009-06-10 16:53:48 Reply

This is the truth:

Time travel is impossible to achieve.

SiMpSoN-bRuVaS
SiMpSoN-bRuVaS
  • Member since: Mar. 29, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to What absolute truth can you state? 2009-06-10 16:56:05 Reply

At 6/10/09 04:53 PM, Ironosaur wrote: This is the truth:

Time travel is impossible to achieve.

that is a contradiction because if time travel were impossible to achieve there would be no time hence no universe the mere presence of the Universe means time travel is possible

Rozner
Rozner
  • Member since: Mar. 27, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to What absolute truth can you state? 2009-06-10 16:58:23 Reply

You can only travel to the exact point in time that you decided to travel. For example, you decide to time travel at 10:30:32 AM on July 30, 2009. Your destination? 10:30:32 AM on July 30, 2009.

ilovecandy2
ilovecandy2
  • Member since: May. 30, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to What absolute truth can you state? 2009-06-10 16:58:26 Reply

that is a contradiction because if time travel were impossible to achieve there would be no time hence no universe the mere presence of the Universe means time travel is possible

wow i didn't know Stephen Hawking had a newgrounds account.... if your so smart why is your grammar so bad..


HEY DUDE WHERES MY CAR

b-rod
b-rod
  • Member since: Jul. 11, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to What absolute truth can you state? 2009-06-10 17:00:15 Reply

Time is love, baby.


Shoot me a PM.
Bs want the D.

BBS Signature
Rad
Rad
  • Member since: Nov. 28, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to What absolute truth can you state? 2009-06-10 17:01:30 Reply

At 6/10/09 04:56 PM, SiMpSoN-bRuVaS wrote:
At 6/10/09 04:53 PM, Ironosaur wrote: This is the truth:

Time travel is impossible to achieve.
that is a contradiction because if time travel were impossible to achieve there would be no time hence no universe the mere presence of the Universe means time travel is possible

You've never heard of the saying "Time is an illusion." Have you?


First blood! First topic of 2010!
KC Green has just won my heart.
Kogey made a sig, but it was too much for me to handle.

BBS Signature
Thegluestickman
Thegluestickman
  • Member since: Mar. 16, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to What absolute truth can you state? 2009-06-10 17:01:50 Reply

Everything that lives has breathed.


To protect the world from devastation.
kidd25 is the best Newgrounder ever.

BBS Signature
Brick-top
Brick-top
  • Member since: Oct. 29, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to What absolute truth can you state? 2009-06-10 17:02:42 Reply

Time itself is a measurement of events.

Tancrisism
Tancrisism
  • Member since: Mar. 26, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to What absolute truth can you state? 2009-06-10 17:03:18 Reply

We are constantly traveling in time. Time is a constant, as are the other three dimensions.


Fancy Signature

ilovecandy2
ilovecandy2
  • Member since: May. 30, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to What absolute truth can you state? 2009-06-10 17:04:48 Reply

At 6/10/09 05:02 PM, Brick-top wrote: Time itself is a measurement of events.

No events are a measurement of time!


HEY DUDE WHERES MY CAR

JohnnyWang
JohnnyWang
  • Member since: May. 21, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to What absolute truth can you state? 2009-06-10 17:04:38 Reply

At 6/10/09 04:56 PM, SiMpSoN-bRuVaS wrote: that is a contradiction because if time travel were impossible to achieve there would be no time hence no universe the mere presence of the Universe means time travel is possible

You're just fucking around with semantics. Sure, we travel through time, but that's not the common definition of time travel.

Also, time travel is not impossible; when one moves incredibly fast, time goes a bit slower, this has been tested with fast jets and atomic watches; time is relative. Also, quarks called tachyons travel back in time, which was one of the things the Large Hadron Collider was built to study. I won't even pretend to know any more of that, I just repeat what I've read.

Anyway, since the universe is confusing as fuck, it's really hard to state any factual statement about anything, no matter what Ms. Rand tries to say via John Galt.


I don't take revenue from my profile.
TV Tropes Wiki

BBS Signature
FattyWhale
FattyWhale
  • Member since: Jul. 10, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 50
Melancholy
Response to What absolute truth can you state? 2009-06-10 17:05:19 Reply

At 6/10/09 04:56 PM, SiMpSoN-bRuVaS wrote:
At 6/10/09 04:53 PM, Ironosaur wrote: This is the truth:

Time travel is impossible to achieve.
that is a contradiction because if time travel were impossible to achieve there would be no time hence no universe the mere presence of the Universe means time travel is possible

Ok, well if you want to be a smart ass about it, we can time travel. At the rate of 1 second per second, or a rate of 1, and currently cannot change that rate. No paradox.

I thought this would be intelligent.


[1] [2] [3] [4] [5]
:3

BBS Signature
ilovecandy2
ilovecandy2
  • Member since: May. 30, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to What absolute truth can you state? 2009-06-10 17:06:21 Reply

At 6/10/09 05:03 PM, Tancrisism wrote: We are constantly traveling in time. Time is a constant, as are the other three dimensions.

We are constantly traveling through time, not in time... do you see the contradiction in what you say! An what are these three dimension of what you speak and what do they have to do with time..


HEY DUDE WHERES MY CAR

ragingfred
ragingfred
  • Member since: Dec. 2, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to What absolute truth can you state? 2009-06-10 17:09:19 Reply

time travel will likely lead to paradoxes. that is the truth.

Sytze
Sytze
  • Member since: Jan. 21, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Musician
Response to What absolute truth can you state? 2009-06-10 17:10:48 Reply

At 6/10/09 05:03 PM, Tancrisism wrote: We are constantly traveling in time. Time is a constant, as are the other three dimensions.

Our movement in time isn't constant, the faster you move through the other dimensions(x,y,z), the slower you move through time

me=ultranerd
JohnnyWang
JohnnyWang
  • Member since: May. 21, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to What absolute truth can you state? 2009-06-10 17:10:45 Reply

At 6/10/09 05:06 PM, ilovecandy2 wrote:
At 6/10/09 05:03 PM, Tancrisism wrote: We are constantly traveling in time. Time is a constant, as are the other three dimensions.
We are constantly traveling through time, not in time... do you see the contradiction in what you say! An what are these three dimension of what you speak and what do they have to do with time..

There are three dimensions. Length, width, and depth. Time, is commonly accepted as the fourth dimension. We have free roam within the three dimensions, and we move linearly in the fourth. As I stated before, movement in the fourth dimension can also be changed.


I don't take revenue from my profile.
TV Tropes Wiki

BBS Signature
RubberTrucky
RubberTrucky
  • Member since: Mar. 27, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to What absolute truth can you state? 2009-06-10 17:13:16 Reply

I currently travel through time at the rate of 1 second per second.


RubberJournal: READY DOESN'T EVEN BEGIN TO DESCRIBE IT!
Mathematics club: we have beer and exponentials.
Cartoon club: Cause Toons>> Charlie Sheen+Raptor

BBS Signature
SiMpSoN-bRuVaS
SiMpSoN-bRuVaS
  • Member since: Mar. 29, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to What absolute truth can you state? 2009-06-10 17:14:40 Reply

Just thought id add that if time travel were possible we would have already met time travelers from the future so clearly as we have not then time travel isn't possible

Kidiri
Kidiri
  • Member since: Nov. 3, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 33
Blank Slate
Response to What absolute truth can you state? 2009-06-10 17:14:41 Reply

Time travel to the future is possible. Coming back from the future is not.
Time travel to the past is possible, but with limitations: you can only go so far back as the 'time machine' is created.

That's right, I read a book.

The codfish on the park bench is fried by the raw maple. 30/10/2009

BBS Signature
JohnnyWang
JohnnyWang
  • Member since: May. 21, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to What absolute truth can you state? 2009-06-10 17:22:06 Reply

At 6/10/09 05:14 PM, SiMpSoN-bRuVaS wrote: Just thought id add that if time travel were possible we would have already met time travelers from the future so clearly as we have not then time travel isn't possible

Ah, but what if they have a non-interfearance clause. Or maybe overlapping timelines cannot exist, once someone travels back in time, they create a new timeline?


I don't take revenue from my profile.
TV Tropes Wiki

BBS Signature
emo-penguin
emo-penguin
  • Member since: Oct. 3, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to What absolute truth can you state? 2009-06-10 17:23:59 Reply

Long cat is loooooong


BBS Signature
ilovecandy2
ilovecandy2
  • Member since: May. 30, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to What absolute truth can you state? 2009-06-10 17:34:47 Reply

At 6/10/09 05:14 PM, Kidiri wrote: Time travel to the future is possible. Coming back from the future is not.
Time travel to the past is possible, but with limitations: you can only go so far back as the 'time machine' is created.

That's right, I read a book.

all you just said is a contradiction


HEY DUDE WHERES MY CAR

Vrael
Vrael
  • Member since: Jul. 25, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to What absolute truth can you state? 2009-06-10 17:40:15 Reply

The concept of time is a matter of perception. Time is an abstract.

fact

Thanks to Kalhua for creating my awesome sig!

BBS Signature
TheSporkLord
TheSporkLord
  • Member since: Apr. 19, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Musician
Response to What absolute truth can you state? 2009-06-10 17:42:12 Reply

At 6/10/09 05:40 PM, Vrael wrote: The concept of time is a matter of perception. Time is an abstract.

fact

exactly. where i am now it is 4:41. but say when time was actually first recorded it could have been off


" Let the metal flow " - Chuck Schuldiner
GUITARISTS Awesome sig by Tateos.

BBS Signature
Skwurll
Skwurll
  • Member since: Nov. 11, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 25
Gamer
Response to What absolute truth can you state? 2009-06-10 17:43:56 Reply

At 6/10/09 04:56 PM, SiMpSoN-bRuVaS wrote:
At 6/10/09 04:53 PM, Ironosaur wrote: This is the truth:

Time travel is impossible to achieve.
that is a contradiction because if time travel were impossible to achieve there would be no time hence no universe the mere presence of the Universe means time travel is possible

and where the fuck did you get that logic from

just because there's no time travel doesn't mean there is no time...


The redesign happened, now my signature doesn't match anymore.

BBS Signature
CHP
CHP
  • Member since: Apr. 18, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to What absolute truth can you state? 2009-06-10 17:44:32 Reply

By the time you have read this, I will have time traveled 1 second+ into the future. Point proven.


This account has been moved to here.
Because this username sucks.

BBS Signature
TheSporkLord
TheSporkLord
  • Member since: Apr. 19, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Musician
Response to What absolute truth can you state? 2009-06-10 17:44:55 Reply

At 6/10/09 05:43 PM, Skwurll wrote:
At 6/10/09 04:56 PM, SiMpSoN-bRuVaS wrote:

and where the fuck did you get that logic from

probably from a cereal box.


" Let the metal flow " - Chuck Schuldiner
GUITARISTS Awesome sig by Tateos.

BBS Signature
Vrael
Vrael
  • Member since: Jul. 25, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to What absolute truth can you state? 2009-06-10 17:46:56 Reply

At 6/10/09 05:42 PM, TheSporkLord wrote:
At 6/10/09 05:40 PM, Vrael wrote: The concept of time is a matter of perception. Time is an abstract.

fact
exactly. where i am now it is 4:41. but say when time was actually first recorded it could have been off

The time you speak of is a measurement. The time we talk about traveling back or forth on is some imaginary bullshit.

Perceiving time is also an oddity because you can give time a value but it's relative. Time can seem to be slower or seem to be faster. Time as a dimension doesn't really exist imo because even with a given value its not concrete.


Thanks to Kalhua for creating my awesome sig!

BBS Signature
FelineGuy
FelineGuy
  • Member since: Nov. 22, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to What absolute truth can you state? 2009-06-10 17:51:20 Reply

Stop it with the 'I a;ready travel through time at 1 second per second' crap.
Read the wikipedia page on relative time travel, I can't be bothered to rewrite it all here. Basically it is widely thought that time travel WILL be possible, but it will be impossible to change the future. IMPOSSIBLE. Therefor it would be incredibly limited to where you could physically travel TO.

FG