00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Breakfast-Crow just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Metal Collab

12,713 Views | 269 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Metal Collab 2009-06-11 10:56:59

Yeah, what kind of vocals are we looking for on this song, actual singing or more towards a Death Metal type. Personally I don't really care, but I can help on vocals too if there's any growling or screaming involved.

Response to The Metal Collab 2009-06-11 11:11:48

At 6/11/09 10:56 AM, Nosferatu-of-Worms wrote: Yeah, what kind of vocals are we looking for on this song, actual singing or more towards a Death Metal type. Personally I don't really care, but I can help on vocals too if there's any growling or screaming involved.

I think both would be cool, like cynic but with real vocals instead of vocoder.

There's 10 kinds of people.

Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Response to The Metal Collab 2009-06-11 14:04:52

I think Pure-Metal said he was going to do that. But I wouldn't mind someone starting, as I'm really in a creative mood today.

Response to The Metal Collab 2009-06-11 15:21:51

Response to The Metal Collab 2009-06-11 16:08:21

I'm gonna vote we either hang out in the IRC chat or create a new room on quakenet.

Response to The Metal Collab 2009-06-11 16:09:40

hellosquiggles@hotmail.com :) catch me on MSN there. If you need email just let me know, but you could always just drop by a PM.

Response to The Metal Collab 2009-06-11 18:15:31

Alright, communication-wise, doesn't matter how we do it, as long as we stay in contact. If you made a room on a chat site, post it here.
And SolusLunes and Back-From-Purgatory can join in too!
I'll update the page
I also have a song idea in mind, but I'll listen to LaForge's idea first.

Response to The Metal Collab 2009-06-11 18:42:29

My email is merrick-fenton@hotmail.com
I've already added the ones that posted theirs.
Vocalists, it doesn't matter if the vocals are clean or growls.

Response to The Metal Collab 2009-06-11 18:50:56

Sweet. My MSN is: gorgorothx@hotmail.com

Response to The Metal Collab 2009-06-11 19:49:25

Btw what tuning should we have our guitars in?

Response to The Metal Collab 2009-06-11 20:03:32

By the soundsof LaForge's demo, C Standard
(from high string to low string)
C, G, D#, A#, F, C
I'm currently trying to tune mine, but failing miserably

Response to The Metal Collab 2009-06-11 20:33:25

ugh, why so low? The riff is good and all, but its a tad extreme for someone like me who rarely plays below D standard.

Response to The Metal Collab 2009-06-11 21:14:37

At 6/11/09 08:33 PM, Nosferatu-of-Worms wrote: ugh, why so low? The riff is good and all, but its a tad extreme for someone like me who rarely plays below D standard.

You could try Drop C if you're a D standard person.

I have a riff idea that follows after LaForge's idea. I'll put it up in a bit. I'll probably also play LaForge's riff to show how well they tie together.

Response to The Metal Collab 2009-06-11 21:18:55

Yeah Drop C could work. Honestly I don't feel like making adjustments to my guitars to play that lo, but I will if needed.

Response to The Metal Collab 2009-06-11 22:18:03

Aww, drop C? Why doesn't anyone play in standard anymore?

I feel alone in this world :<

~ My soundcloud! ~ Venus ~ hi i like liquor

BBS Signature

Response to The Metal Collab 2009-06-11 22:21:43

At 6/11/09 10:18 PM, Kor-Rune wrote: Aww, drop C? Why doesn't anyone play in standard anymore?

I feel alone in this world :<

For me, it seems that lower tunings like drop C are heavier than E standard.

Response to The Metal Collab 2009-06-11 22:22:12

I don't really want in the collab anyway, lol. I'm just bitching since I have a floyd rose.

If I check back and there's some sweet epic WIP going on, I might ask for a solo or just play a harmony or something. :D

BBS Signature

Response to The Metal Collab 2009-06-11 22:25:36

Oh yes, also. My idea.
I also played LaForge's idea, so yeah.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=S0A27JD7

Response to The Metal Collab 2009-06-11 22:33:56

At 6/11/09 10:21 PM, Pure-Metal-UTA wrote:
For me, it seems that lower tunings like drop C are heavier than E standard.

Yeeah, I'm not really a guy that likes heavy stuff too much(says the guitar wanker), and since most drop tuning progressions and riffs just seemingly have a basic formula going on and it just makes for something generic, and I don't like generic.

But for a collab of this magnitude, it looks like you'll have to take the path of something simpler to sound like less of a, like earlier described, "clusterfuck".

BBS Signature

Response to The Metal Collab 2009-06-11 22:46:41

At 6/11/09 10:33 PM, Kor-Rune wrote: Yeeah, I'm not really a guy that likes heavy stuff too much(says the guitar wanker), and since most drop tuning progressions and riffs just seemingly have a basic formula going on and it just makes for something generic, and I don't like generic.

You've been looking at that thread haven't you?
But I know completely what you mean. Most metal songs with that low tuning are mainly open triplets. However, if you have the right mindset, you can be more creative and heavy at the same time with low tunings.

But for a collab of this magnitude, it looks like you'll have to take the path of something simpler to sound like less of a, like earlier described, "clusterfuck".

Yeah it'll probably be put into multiple sections where different musicians play, it might be spread out to a long song length.

Response to The Metal Collab 2009-06-11 23:50:06

At 6/11/09 11:13 PM, ShortMonkey wrote: I added some stuff to LaForge's part but it didn't go so well... there really need to be some rests in the guitar playing:

those aren't really metal strings at all man.

Response to The Metal Collab 2009-06-12 00:01:57

At 6/11/09 11:51 PM, LaForge wrote: So, I'm officially dropping out of the collab. There are like 5 guitarists already, and I hate dealing with people 4-7 years younger than me.

Sorry you feel that way, you would've made a great asset to the collab.
I'll update the page.
Because of this, I don't think any more guitarists should join.
We still need bassists, drummers, synth people and vocalists.

Response to The Metal Collab 2009-06-12 00:05:18

Like I said, I have a mic, I can sing, and I have "lyrics."

:D

Response to The Metal Collab 2009-06-12 00:11:25

At 6/12/09 12:01 AM, Pure-Metal-UTA wrote:.

We still need bassists, drummers, synth people and vocalists.

If it comes down to the wire, I have a bass on which I can play things that aren't crazy.

hopefully we find a bassist before that eventuality came to pass.

Response to The Metal Collab 2009-06-12 00:22:02

At 6/12/09 12:05 AM, SolusLunes wrote: Like I said, I have a mic, I can sing, and I have "lyrics."

D

I believe I put you on the list of vocalists. The update page is on my sig.

To loansindi, You put up a good idea, we'll go with that until more bassists come along, if no bassists do, then you can be the bassist.

Response to The Metal Collab 2009-06-12 00:37:53

At 6/12/09 12:22 AM, Pure-Metal-UTA wrote: To loansindi, You put up a good idea, we'll go with that until more bassists come along, if no bassists do, then you can be the bassist.

I'm fine with that, but remember I'm a mediocre bassist at best, so there wouldn't be anything mindblowing.

Response to The Metal Collab 2009-06-12 02:16:41

So, double post, but new subject.

How do we feel about time changes? Just because I'm difficult.

and for the sake of throwing out ideas, here's a really rough idea I put together after work today, it'll be polished more. Note that's no metronome and little thought. This riff would probably work best in 5/4, which can give drummers some cool things to do if they're into that sort of thing. (like, playing a measure of 7/4 and a measure of 3/4 or crazy stuff like that)

However, the stuff that's been thrown out right now is at like 120bpm, is there any chance this could be moved upward at least a little? I have trouble playing stuff that slow, both physically doing it and maintaining interest. Just throwing it out there.

Response to The Metal Collab 2009-06-12 02:20:00

I'm gonna have to agree with you loan, the riff that i heard sounded alright... but maybe a little tame. Man I would totally do Bass too (as that's my main instrument) but I don't have a recording interface right now.

Response to The Metal Collab 2009-06-12 02:29:39

At 6/12/09 02:20 AM, Gorgorothx wrote: I'm gonna have to agree with you loan, the riff that i heard sounded alright... but maybe a little tame. Man I would totally do Bass too (as that's my main instrument) but I don't have a recording interface right now.

I think to save the low end of this project, it's your duty to spend forty bucks, or steal one.

Or at least help me with writing the basslines.

Response to The Metal Collab 2009-06-12 02:30:54

OH man, another double post. just realized the link wasn't there.

ROUGH IDEA