00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

mishirozen just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Submitting covers/remixes question.

920 Views | 10 Replies

I've recently gotten quite addicted to making tracks (if the last few months can be described as recent) and started to reveal them to NG.

One question I have is what is the policy regarding submitting Mash-ups and the like.

Sometimes when I can't be asked to start from scratch I'll just fuck around with a pre-existing track (for example Kanye West's rip of Daft Punk: Harder, Faster, Stronger).

It definitely sounds miles apart, but obviously it would be recognisable to the original.

In short; to submit or not to submit? Apologies if this has been clarified prior, but the articles I read weren't that "clear cut" and would just like a straight answer.

Response to Submitting covers/remixes question. 2009-06-07 17:15:17

No copyrighted samples.

Response to Submitting covers/remixes question. 2009-06-07 17:16:11

At 6/7/09 05:15 PM, loansindi wrote: No copyrighted samples.

I'll keep them to myself then, problem solved.

Thanks for the swift reply.

Response to Submitting covers/remixes question. 2009-06-07 17:17:26

I think they are allowed. So long as you don't use any copyrighted samples and you credit the author of the original song, it should be fine.

An audio mod can clarify it for you. PM one to get a clear answer.

Response to Submitting covers/remixes question. 2009-06-07 17:30:36

At 6/7/09 05:17 PM, ninjakoopa-33 wrote: I think they are allowed. So long as you don't use any copyrighted samples and you credit the author of the original song, it should be fine.

No, they aren't.
You can upload a song when you made it completely yourself. You can upload remixes too on NG, but for that you'll have to recreate the song entirely by yourself. Note for note.

BBS Signature

Response to Submitting covers/remixes question. 2009-06-07 17:51:45

At 6/7/09 05:30 PM, MH16 wrote:
I think they are allowed. So long as you don't use any copyrighted samples and you credit the author of the original song, it should be fine.

Rucklo's knocking about, if he wants to add anything he will. Don't want to fill his already full PM box. There's plenty of regulars (like yourself) you can add what they believe.

At 6/7/09 05:17 PM, ninjakoopa-33 wrote:
No, they aren't.
You can upload a song when you made it completely yourself. You can upload remixes too on NG, but for that you'll have to recreate the song entirely by yourself. Note for note.

The beats are mine, but the voice is (obviously) theirs. Perhaps if I removed the voice it would be fine?

I'm not overly fussed as I have plenty of my original work to share with NG, just some of my mashes are of submission standard.

Response to Submitting covers/remixes question. 2009-06-07 17:55:52

At 6/7/09 05:51 PM, KartoTolmex wrote: The beats are mine, but the voice is (obviously) theirs. Perhaps if I removed the voice it would be fine?

I'm not overly fussed as I have plenty of my original work to share with NG, just some of my mashes are of submission standard.

If the beats are made from scratch by you then you can submit that, but you obviously can't use those vocal samples.

BBS Signature

Response to Submitting covers/remixes question. 2009-06-07 17:56:23

Wait, so you can't post cover songs?

Response to Submitting covers/remixes question. 2009-06-07 17:58:53

At 6/7/09 05:56 PM, Croire wrote: Wait, so you can't post cover songs?

You can post a cover if you produce everything yourself.

I'm not sure why this topic degraded into another 'can I do covers/remixes' thread after the OP's question was answered.

Response to Submitting covers/remixes question. 2009-06-07 18:23:54

Look it up. I'm pretty sure that Daft Punk released their harder/better/faster/stronger acapella for free ages ago and you can find it all over the internet for download, which would probably mean you're ok to use it in your tracks.

Response to Submitting covers/remixes question. 2009-06-07 18:58:01

Problem has been solved: NO COPYRIGHTED SAMPLES. PERIOD. It doesn't matter if the creators provide free samples.

Remixes are NOT allowed; the problem is that people don't often have the proper definition of a remix. A remix is a different arrangement of an original song. This is not to be confused with a cover, which is a recreated song (from scratch) which should credit the original author.

The issue is often debated, but it's really quite simple; You can cover a song if you make it from scratch and don't use any of the original samples. You cannot use samples and create a remix. POINT FINALE.