Be a Supporter!
PadreBueno
PadreBueno
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Theremins Jun. 5th, 2009 @ 11:58 PM Reply

I've been mixing and recording some techno alien beats to put on the portal. Should i buy a theremin for alien sounds. I personnally like the b3 theremin deluxe. Please dont comment if you dont know jack about theremeins.

Gamer Tag: General Gasher
My fourm is at www.HackersHub.aceboards.com the first ten members are mods! I really need members Guys help me out!

BBS Signature
Daddy-L-Jackson
Daddy-L-Jackson
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Theremins Jun. 6th, 2009 @ 12:13 AM Reply

I wouldn't find it neccesary, it's one of those tools that you'll only use on very certain songs. Plus there are some nice VSTs for theremins as well, so I'd think you'd be better off with one of those...

loansindi
loansindi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to Theremins Jun. 6th, 2009 @ 12:17 AM Reply

Musically, the theremin is... difficult.

If you're not going to be investing the time to actually play the theremin, I think your needs would be better served by a VST. The instruments are generally fairly expensive (unless you're talking about cheapish optical or single antenna models, but those generally suffer from cheaper tone)

MusicInc
MusicInc
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Theremins Jun. 6th, 2009 @ 12:24 AM Reply

I have wanted to get one of those for a while, where would i buy one? approx how much?

loansindi
loansindi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to Theremins Jun. 6th, 2009 @ 12:47 AM Reply

At 6/6/09 12:24 AM, MusicInc wrote: I have wanted to get one of those for a while, where would i buy one? approx how much?

Are you seriously interested in learning to play the instrument?

Moog makes one or two different models in the $300 range.

There's another company whose name I can't recall that makes several more affordable models (some single antenna models) that go down as low as $90 I think.

Or you can look up the MAKE article on building a theremin with like four dollars of electronic parts. It'll be optical and sound terrible, but you can play with it and get bored much cheaper.

MusicInc
MusicInc
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Theremins Jun. 6th, 2009 @ 01:25 AM Reply

At 6/6/09 12:47 AM, loansindi wrote:
At 6/6/09 12:24 AM, MusicInc wrote: I have wanted to get one of those for a while, where would i buy one? approx how much?
Are you seriously interested in learning to play the instrument?

Moog makes one or two different models in the $300 range.

There's another company whose name I can't recall that makes several more affordable models (some single antenna models) that go down as low as $90 I think.

yea alright, thanks, im kinda a quality freak, and getting a cheep one wont exactly satisfy me, so i guess im going to be looking for a moog..

youtbe vids make it look soo fun.

loansindi
loansindi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to Theremins Jun. 6th, 2009 @ 01:36 AM Reply

At 6/6/09 01:25 AM, MusicInc wrote:\

yea alright, thanks, im kinda a quality freak, and getting a cheep one wont exactly satisfy me, so i guess im going to be looking for a moog..

youtbe vids make it look soo fun.

The theremin is an instrument that will require absolutely regimental discipline to be able to play. Unless you just happen to have perfect pitch, you are going to spend hour after frustrated hour working on your technique to play even simple melodies.

TomBanks
TomBanks
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Theremins Jun. 6th, 2009 @ 01:38 AM Reply

Just to add my say here, too; I wouldn't buy one.

jarrydn
jarrydn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Theremins Jun. 6th, 2009 @ 05:11 AM Reply

I have a two antenna theremin that cost around $60 in kit form.

The waveform it outputs isn't too inspiring on it's own, but you can definitely smooth things over with some reverb.

Failing that, I'm pretty sure you can get some VSTi theremins that you can play with your mouse :)

The-MickMad
The-MickMad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Theremins Jun. 6th, 2009 @ 07:04 AM Reply

whoa the theremin is a superb instrument, I think the most aethereal ever created, not to forget that it is THE instrument that started it all! Actually is thanks to the theremin that we have today all of this electronic and digital synths, when it was invented in 1921 it was the first electronic musical instrument, indeed.
Btw, if you really need it because you think you're the next Clara Rockmore, then go buy an Etherware Theremin, it sounds perfectly! Or, if you're into radioshack and diy things, yuo might want to take a look at this:
http://www.oldtemecula.com/theremin/

following these instructions, you could buy your fit-in-a-pocket theremin or even your professional one.Just read this page :)

MICKMAD is on YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/user/Mick108 0dgMad
Go check my Account Page!!! There's more music! And there'll be even more! WOOT

Khuskan
Khuskan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Theremins Jun. 6th, 2009 @ 07:55 AM Reply

Theramins are stupidly hard to play, you're not going to be able to just buy it and use it straight away.

It's easy enough to recreate a pretty convincing theramin sound with a simple sine oscillator, some portamento, pitch bend and a distortion effect.

Cross666
Cross666
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to Theremins Jun. 6th, 2009 @ 12:15 PM Reply

• Dj Harlock - It's a Shrug
    Dj Harlock - It's a Shrug by Cross666

Click to listen.

Score
    4.36 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Trance
    Popularity

That lead is done with just a theremin. For the love of god don't diss the Theremin, if you actually can use it, it's ballsy.

BBS Signature