00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

RunicPixels just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Annoying New Virus

21,415 Views | 171 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Annoying New Virus 2001-07-23 09:20:04

There is an annoying new virus known as "W32.Sircam.Worm@mm" - once someone gets it on their computer, it sends out mass emails to the people in their inbox. I am especailly annoyed with this virus because I have been getting TONS and TONS of junk mail! The emails I get basically say this:

Hi! How are you?

I send you this file in order to have your advice

See you later. Thanks

There are also variations, and a Spanish version. Just a reminder to everyone - NEVER OPEN .EXE ATTACHMENTS - from anyone! I never open .exe files that are emailed to me, even if I know the person who is sending it.

There is software available to kill the virus on your computer: GET THE ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE HERE!

Has anyone else been getting tons of junk mail from this?

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Annoying New Virus 2001-07-23 09:41:41

YES!! I have gotten over 20 e-mails with this virus.

Response to Annoying New Virus 2001-07-23 09:45:30

oh my god!
i got this virus!

i have a question - does it work even if you dont open the .exe file?

please answer im really freaked out.

Response to Annoying New Virus 2001-07-23 09:47:04

I keep getting this shit....it seems to send out shit from their personal files....i've learnt a lot about my ex girlfriend.....

At 7/23/01 09:20 AM, TomFulp wrote: There is an annoying new virus known as "W32.Sircam.Worm@mm" - once someone gets it on their computer, it sends out mass emails to the people in their inbox. I am especailly annoyed with this virus because I have been getting TONS and TONS of junk mail! The emails I get basically say this:

Hi! How are you?

See you later. Thanks

Response to Annoying New Virus 2001-07-23 09:55:58

Ya, I got 8 of those. Thanks for posting the virus fix on the main page :)

Response to Annoying New Virus 2001-07-23 09:57:43

At 7/23/01 09:45 AM, komo wrote: oh my god!
i got this virus!

i have a question - does it work even if you dont open the .exe file?

please answer im really freaked out.

I'm not sure if this particular one can but some are able to. That is, if you don't have some of the recent security updates available on the windows update site.

It should also be noted that it's not just exe files you have to worry about. VBS, BAT, COM files should also be avoided. Even if your friend sends you a flash game, don't run it. Confirm with that person somehow that they actually sent it to you. You could also send SWF files instead of exe files if you need to send a flash game to someone.

Response to Annoying New Virus 2001-07-23 10:14:12

I had about 750 emails containing the virus in my inbox this morning. They have been coming in over the weekend.

Everyone I get has the same phrase that Tom posted on the main page. I have seen all sorts of different file names and extentions. I'm going to start reply to these people so they know they have it, as I've gotten hundreds from the same people.

Follow me on Twitter! TWITTER

Be my Facebook friend! FACEBOOK

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature

Response to Annoying New Virus 2001-07-23 10:14:31

At 7/23/01 09:20 AM, TomFulp wrote: There is an annoying new virus known as "W32.Sircam.Worm@mm" - once someone gets it on their computer, it sends out mass emails to the people in their inbox. I am especailly annoyed with this virus because I have been getting TONS and TONS of junk mail! The emails I get basically say this:

Hi! How are you?

See you later. Thanks

There are also variations, and a Spanish version. Just a reminder to everyone - NEVER OPEN .EXE ATTACHMENTS - from anyone! I never open .exe files that are emailed to me, even if I know the person who is sending it.

There is software available to kill the virus on your computer: GET THE ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE HERE!

That's so amazing. I just got an email with that exact same message!!

Response to Annoying New Virus 2001-07-23 10:19:34

I have a question to anyone to answer it. If you read the email but DON'T! open the attachment am I alright?
I need some answers!
Please help me.

Response to Annoying New Virus 2001-07-23 10:19:46

i got a virus in my mail a few days ago, my first one ever as far as i can remember, i copied all the ip and mime stuff so i can email his isp :) this is something like what it looked like.

To : my-email-iz-nunya-biz@hotmail.com
Subject : WiniGolf
Date : Sat, 21 Jul 2001 01:34:09 -0700
Attachment : WiniGolf.zip.com (942k)

Hi! How are you?

See you later. Thanks

Name of File : WiniGolf.zip.com
Virus Scan Result : W32/Hybris.gen@MM Virus Found

also, i mostly only use this email addy on flash sites like this one and on flashkit and stuff. there was a post on flashkit about someone sending a virus and talking about flashkit in the email.

i think adobe set up us the bomb! j/k

Response to Annoying New Virus 2001-07-23 10:20:34

At 7/23/01 10:19 AM, monkeymania_man wrote: I have a question to anyone to answer it. If you read the email but DON'T! open the attachment am I alright?
I need some answers!
Please help me.

As long as you don't execute (run/open) the attachment, you should be okay.

Follow me on Twitter! TWITTER

Be my Facebook friend! FACEBOOK

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature

Response to Annoying New Virus 2001-07-23 10:25:11

Hi! How are you?

See you later. Thanks

Hey I got three of them... I'm turkish :) If one of my friends sent an english mail there's sth wrong. And I must add they also use the traditional batch form too. A file with extension .bat is a DOS-type batch file and it is EXECUTABLE. DON'T OPEN THEM BEFORE SCANNING.
PS: And I want to ask... TOM how can we delete our unwanted movies?

Response to Annoying New Virus 2001-07-23 10:32:30

Just got it today! I knew something was up, especially when it was from someone who I don't recall emailing!
At least there is already something to deal with it!
God damn these virusus piss me off!

Response to Annoying New Virus 2001-07-23 10:39:43

Hi! How are you?

See you later. Thanks

I got so many of those damn things that my hotmail account went over the 2meg limit. And the subject lines were different on most of them: one was called "pants" another one called "stove". It wasn't too hard to figure out it was a virus though, when a stranger sends me a 200+ k file I get a little suspicious.

Now has anyone had a problem with viral files with instant messengers? I was chatting with someone on MSNMS once and the text became very strange, it got sluggish and started repeating things. It tried sending me a file, but I refused and closed the connection. When he logged back on he told me that a friend sent him a virus, I told him that the same thing probably happened to his friend. So not only must you be careful with your e-mails, be careful of stuff sent over instant messengers too. Maybe I just have trust issues... :)

-Septy.

Response to Annoying New Virus 2001-07-23 10:45:06

Hi! How are you?

See you later. Thanks

wow.. I have been getting that email 4 to 5 times a day...But My email account can't decifer the exe.. because it comes in all this letter/number jargon...
But thats some scary shit

Annoying New Virus

Response to Annoying New Virus 2001-07-23 10:45:23

Hi! How are you?

See you later. Thanks

"Well since being anoter recipiant of the 'piece-o-shit' mail being received about every 5 secs, I think I have been getting crap like that. As a matter of fact, a certain girl I'm interested in has sent me the SAME email 7 times. This may be another effect of the virus. If it is, im not surprised.

Annoying New Virus

Response to Annoying New Virus 2001-07-23 11:17:37

At 7/23/01 09:20 AM, TomFulp wrote: Has anyone else been getting tons of junk mail from this?

Yes but its been in zip files and .zip.ink files aswell.

Response to Annoying New Virus 2001-07-23 11:22:52

At 7/23/01 10:19 AM, tpm wrote: i got a virus in my mail a few days ago, my first one ever as far as i can remember, i copied all the ip and mime stuff so i can email his isp :)

Try emailing him instead. He most likely did not send it intentionally.

Response to Annoying New Virus 2001-07-23 11:33:17

Hmmm, that sounds like a bitch to me, im glad i don't have it and no, i NEVER open exe. files niether

Response to Annoying New Virus 2001-07-23 11:43:44

Heh. Wondered why my Email box was full of garbage...

Zonealarm (www.zonealarm.com) will help protect against this kind of thing, and it's also a great firewall that stops most other trojans...

Response to Annoying New Virus 2001-07-23 11:44:37

Damn I'm glad I'm not the only one... I woke up this morning and I had 40 emails like that... I have a cable modem and it took me 10 minutes just to download my damn email. That is some scary shit. I started getting them a couple of nights ago.

Razoric.com - Independent Game Developer

BBS Signature

Response to Annoying New Virus 2001-07-23 11:45:32

If you get an e-mail with an attachment and you don't know the person who sent it, or if you're not expecting an attachment from someone you know don't open it. Executable files has extensions .EXE, .COM, .BAT, .PIF(the virus e-mail I got had that as the extension), and in most cases, .ZIP because your zip program will usually automatically unpack and run the attachment. But as long as you don't run the attachment and delete it immediately, you will be fine. Don't forget to delete it from the Trash Can/Deleted Mail folder too. Another sign that it's a virus is stocky, akward language, like it's been run through a computer translator, because it probably has. These e-mail worm viruses almost always come from overseas because the hackers all know it would be too easy for the authorities to track down one orginating in the U.S. This virus, like almost all worm viruses, won't destroy data but just e-mail itself to everyone in your address book.

Annoying New Virus

UNITE THE CLANS | space cheese | RG podcasts | also cocks

BBS Signature

Response to Annoying New Virus 2001-07-23 11:53:10

It's so funny to read that some of you morons actually did open. Did your parents even tell you NOT to download and open suspicious attachements?? It's the basics of protecting yourself when you go on the internet.

Anyway, I read on a website that the virus will trigger it's main payload on October 16, 2001. It's main payload is eather deleting all the files from your c: drive, or continue writing to a system file (i forgot what is was called) until you're harddrive is full to capacity. But there is a 1/20 chance of both of them happening, because I heard you have to have you time in a specific order (DD/MM/YY or something like that).

Response to Annoying New Virus 2001-07-23 11:54:16

There is a small exception to opening EXE and other types. Some providers (or Yahoo at least) have a built in virus scaneer where you can scan your attatchments for viruses, and its always up to date and requires no installing to scan your mail. But im sure there are ways to camoflague a virus so dont be to careful.

Response to Annoying New Virus 2001-07-23 12:06:47

I get a ton of those emails but only the ones in spanish. I didn't know what it meant until i saw the post.

Response to Annoying New Virus 2001-07-23 12:15:55

You said it sent out to everyone in your inbox, I don't know anyone that I've been getting these e-mails from. Why is my address in their inbox? And I've been getting like 8 a day. What can be done to stop these e-mails?

Response to Annoying New Virus 2001-07-23 12:22:08

I've received shitloads of junk mail. That's partly my fault though. I had the virus. Symantec has excellent intstructions for fixing this.

Response to Annoying New Virus 2001-07-23 12:29:47

Hi! How are you?

See you later. Thanks

Hell yeah I've been getting those. Good thing I don't open those attachments.

Annoying New Virus

Response to Annoying New Virus 2001-07-23 12:51:05

I luckily haven't received ANY files like this. Maybe it's because I have no friends.... :(

Response to Annoying New Virus 2001-07-23 12:57:29

Dude! I got a message from someone named Angel just like what you were saying. It asked for advice n' stuff. Stupid me, I sent a reply to that message. The attachment was werid, it was a *.doc.pdf...that's one weird attachment. I never open any files from e-mails any way, unless they are .swf files, or picture files. Also I'll have you know that there is another virus going around. It's like, the REal story of Snow white and the seven dwarfs, or some stupid shit like that. Don't open the attachment...