00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

RobotHeadProductions just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Behringer Xenyx 2222fx Advice

1,520 Views | 19 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Behringer Xenyx 2222fx Advice 2009-06-02 22:38:36

So basically I have been shopping around for a new mixer, this one seems to have everything I have been looking for although a few concerns come to mind when reading through reviews etc.

Firstly I found one review that said latency was a problem with the built-in audio interface, I was planning on having a built in audio interface with my mixer to keep my home studio space as minimal as possible, but I would rather not sacrifice latency for this.

I also saw another review stating problems with certain channels just not working, is this a one off or a common problem?

If you own/have owned or know someone with this mixer, or one in the same range let me know your experience with it.

Also if anyone would like to suggest another mixer ranging between £150-£225 then that would also be helpful!

Thanks a lot,
Twinrova

Response to Behringer Xenyx 2222fx Advice 2009-06-02 22:59:31

behringer products are either utter shit, or remarkably solid for the price.

let the buyer beware.

Response to Behringer Xenyx 2222fx Advice 2009-06-02 23:11:15

At 6/2/09 10:59 PM, loansindi wrote: behringer products are either utter shit, or remarkably solid for the price.

let the buyer beware.

I think I have stayed lucky, I currently own a Behringer b-2 pro, and find the recording quality for vocals on it to be excellent!

Look at most pro studios and they always seem to have a couple of them.

But seems to be 95% positive when I read the review on the mixer, I think I am going to go for it, just going to wait to ring and check up on my warranty. As long as I get a good warranty on it I will be happy.

Thanks for your advice, :)

Response to Behringer Xenyx 2222fx Advice 2009-06-02 23:56:10

At 6/2/09 11:11 PM, TwinrovaDesign wrote: I think I have stayed lucky, I currently own a Behringer b-2 pro, and find the recording quality for vocals on it to be excellent!

I have a fantastic Behringer reverb/delay unit in my rack. Pretty sure the algorithms came from the guy who did the lexicon stuff.

From what I've read, the Xenyx line of Behringer mixers are pretty awesome. If I recall correctly, the preamps are based on those in the Mackie Onyx line of mixers. Quiet, transparent, heaps of headroom.

Response to Behringer Xenyx 2222fx Advice 2009-06-03 00:38:21

At 6/2/09 11:56 PM, jarrydn wrote:
At 6/2/09 11:11 PM, TwinrovaDesign wrote: I think I have stayed lucky, I currently own a Behringer b-2 pro, and find the recording quality for vocals on it to be excellent!
I have a fantastic Behringer reverb/delay unit in my rack. Pretty sure the algorithms came from the guy who did the lexicon stuff.

From what I've read, the Xenyx line of Behringer mixers are pretty awesome. If I recall correctly, the preamps are based on those in the Mackie Onyx line of mixers. Quiet, transparent, heaps of headroom.

Ah all sounds good, I just bought it now I am having a look into some drum mics, and the kits. Not sure whether a kit is the way forward or to build one myself. Whichever works out cheaper I suppose, but some more expensive kits include multi-purpose mics.

I really have no clue as I have no hands on experience on a range of different mics, although I am willing to dish out a good amount for something that sounds professional.

Response to Behringer Xenyx 2222fx Advice 2009-06-03 00:49:07

At 6/3/09 12:38 AM, TwinrovaDesign wrote: I really have no clue as I have no hands on experience on a range of different mics, although I am willing to dish out a good amount for something that sounds professional.

SM-57's make good snare and tom mics, and they can be picked up for $100 each, or less if you're prepared to look around.

Your Behringer B2 would probably make for a decent overhead mic. Grab another one and make a stereo pair :)

As for kicks, the Audio Techinca AT25 is a pretty solid mic, and can be had for around $100.

Having said that, I've heard all in one drum mic sets used to quite an acceptable standard :)

Response to Behringer Xenyx 2222fx Advice 2009-06-03 01:06:32

At 6/3/09 12:49 AM, jarrydn wrote:
At 6/3/09 12:38 AM, TwinrovaDesign wrote: I really have no clue as I have no hands on experience on a range of different mics, although I am willing to dish out a good amount for something that sounds professional.
SM-57's make good snare and tom mics, and they can be picked up for $100 each, or less if you're prepared to look around.

Your Behringer B2 would probably make for a decent overhead mic. Grab another one and make a stereo pair :)

As for kicks, the Audio Techinca AT25 is a pretty solid mic, and can be had for around $100.

Having said that, I've heard all in one drum mic sets used to quite an acceptable standard :)

Yeah im really interested in the Shure DMK57-52 set, you can't go wrong with shure and it includes 3 SM57, and a Beta 52.

Apparently the Beta 52 is an excellent bass mic, and the Shure SM57 can be used to compliment anything supposedly.

Im looking to be able to record a full band Guitar, Bass, Drums and Vocals.

I think for a great sound id just need that drum mic set and possible another mic for guitar. Im not really sure on the quality i'd get though.

Response to Behringer Xenyx 2222fx Advice 2009-06-03 01:12:46

At 6/3/09 01:06 AM, TwinrovaDesign wrote: Yeah im really interested in the Shure DMK57-52 set, you can't go wrong with shure and it includes 3 SM57, and a Beta 52.

Apparently the Beta 52 is an excellent bass mic, and the Shure SM57 can be used to compliment anything supposedly.

I think for a great sound id just need that drum mic set and possible another mic for guitar. Im not really sure on the quality i'd get though.

SM-57's are the gold standard for guitar cabs. And considering that you don't have to record each instrument at the same time, you won't have to buy more mics for your guitars...you can just use a 57 from your drum mic kit ;)

And yes, the beta 52 is a superb kick drum mic.

Response to Behringer Xenyx 2222fx Advice 2009-06-03 01:16:18

At 6/3/09 01:12 AM, jarrydn wrote:
At 6/3/09 01:06 AM, TwinrovaDesign wrote: Yeah im really interested in the Shure DMK57-52 set, you can't go wrong with shure and it includes 3 SM57, and a Beta 52.

SM-57's are the gold standard for guitar cabs. And considering that you don't have to record each instrument at the same time, you won't have to buy more mics for your guitars...you can just use a 57 from your drum mic kit ;)

And yes, the beta 52 is a superb kick drum mic.

Yeah I though that, the only thing I am unsure of is how full the sound will be from 3 SM57 and a beta 52, would I need any more mics to get the professional sound I am seeking?

Response to Behringer Xenyx 2222fx Advice 2009-06-03 01:17:19

Also, if you decide at a later point in time you want to use a separate audio interface (Ie, one with 8 ins and outs), your mixer will still probably be handy, because it has a main stereo out, a sub stereo out, and a control room stereo out, which with some creative patching, should give you six separate mono outputs into your audio interface.

That way you can have the snare on one mono output, the kick on another, the toms on a stereo pair, and the same for the overheads :)

Response to Behringer Xenyx 2222fx Advice 2009-06-03 01:19:14

At 6/3/09 01:16 AM, TwinrovaDesign wrote: Yeah I though that, the only thing I am unsure of is how full the sound will be from 3 SM57 and a beta 52, would I need any more mics to get the professional sound I am seeking?

What size drumkit are you recording?

If you bought those mics, plus another Behringer B2, it would be fine for a 4 piece kit, and you might be able to stretch it out to a 5 piece if you don't mind sharing a 57 between two toms.

Response to Behringer Xenyx 2222fx Advice 2009-06-03 01:21:38

At 6/3/09 01:19 AM, jarrydn wrote:
At 6/3/09 01:16 AM, TwinrovaDesign wrote: Yeah I though that, the only thing I am unsure of is how full the sound will be from 3 SM57 and a beta 52, would I need any more mics to get the professional sound I am seeking?
What size drumkit are you recording?

If you bought those mics, plus another Behringer B2, it would be fine for a 4 piece kit, and you might be able to stretch it out to a 5 piece if you don't mind sharing a 57 between two toms.

A 5 piece kit, would I not need microphones for the cymbals? or do my overheads cover all them?

Response to Behringer Xenyx 2222fx Advice 2009-06-03 01:29:12

At 6/3/09 01:21 AM, TwinrovaDesign wrote: A 5 piece kit, would I not need microphones for the cymbals? or do my overheads cover all them?

Yeah, overheads cover the cymbals.

Alot of engineers will also put mics on the ride and hi-hat, but in my experience this isn't completely necessary.

Response to Behringer Xenyx 2222fx Advice 2009-06-03 01:37:11

At 6/3/09 01:29 AM, jarrydn wrote:
At 6/3/09 01:21 AM, TwinrovaDesign wrote: A 5 piece kit, would I not need microphones for the cymbals? or do my overheads cover all them?
Yeah, overheads cover the cymbals.

Alot of engineers will also put mics on the ride and hi-hat, but in my experience this isn't completely necessary.

I think i might have to look into buying in America and shipping to UK, so much cheaper!

Thanks for all the advice and I will let you know what I decide on in the end :)

Response to Behringer Xenyx 2222fx Advice 2009-06-03 02:03:56

At 6/3/09 01:37 AM, TwinrovaDesign wrote: I think i might have to look into buying in America and shipping to UK, so much cheaper!

Thanks for all the advice and I will let you know what I decide on in the end :)

Wicked, no worries man!

And I hear you on ordering from the US. I think my next few pieces of gear will be coming from there also :)

Response to Behringer Xenyx 2222fx Advice 2009-06-03 02:42:32

At 6/3/09 02:03 AM, jarrydn wrote:
At 6/3/09 01:37 AM, TwinrovaDesign wrote: I think i might have to look into buying in America and shipping to UK, so much cheaper!

Wicked, no worries man!

And I hear you on ordering from the US. I think my next few pieces of gear will be coming from there also :)

Just built a sort of "dream order",

UK price would be 800 pounds, US is 450 including shipping!

Response to Behringer Xenyx 2222fx Advice 2009-06-03 03:32:24

At 6/3/09 02:42 AM, TwinrovaDesign wrote: Just built a sort of "dream order",

UK price would be 800 pounds, US is 450 including shipping!

Wicked as bro :)

The aussie dollar just hit 81 US cents, I think it's nearly time for me to start ordering some crap :D

Response to Behringer Xenyx 2222fx Advice 2009-06-03 07:03:38

At 6/2/09 10:38 PM, TwinrovaDesign wrote: Firstly I found one review that said latency was a problem with the built-in audio interface, I was planning on having a built in audio interface with my mixer to keep my home studio space as minimal as possible, but I would rather not sacrifice latency for this.

I had a Xenyx. First one I had, channel 1 fucked up within two days of getting it. I returned to manufacturer and they replaced it for free within a week. Second one has lasted for about 3 years, no real issues.

The audio interface that comes with it isn't that great, it's fine for recording but that's about it, you'll need a more dedicated solution if you want to use the desk with a computer.

They're cheap and fairly decent, as long as you get one that works, it's a bit of a gamble but Behringer replacement policy is pretty good, so up to you. If you're strapped for cash, go for it.

Response to Behringer Xenyx 2222fx Advice 2009-06-03 07:34:10

At 6/3/09 07:03 AM, Khuskan wrote: I had a Xenyx. First one I had, channel 1 fucked up within two days of getting it. I returned to manufacturer and they replaced it for free within a week. Second one has lasted for about 3 years, no real issues.

Over the past couple of years, Behringer have quite upped their game :)

And their return policy is indeed quite fantastic. I bought a guitar pedal that was DOA, and they replaced it promptly :)

Response to Behringer Xenyx 2222fx Advice 2009-06-03 08:53:10

Indeed. Behringers reputation as a cheap alternative is at stake if they don't keep their guarantee policy up to date to cover the slightly more likely chance of a hardware failure.

On the flip side, i've had things like Mackies which have broken to which I have not been able to get replaced under similar policies.