00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Boayne98 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Fl Xxl Vs Reason

1,054 Views | 19 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Fl Xxl Vs Reason 2009-06-02 20:48:20

Now I'm pretty sure NG is heavily biased towards FL, but currently I own FL Fruity edition and was going to upgrade to XXL but then I thought if I was going to be spending another chunk of money, I should make sure FL was really what I wanted. I've been looking at Reason online and so far I'm liking what I'm seeing... comes with loads of samples and whatnot.

If I could get some feedback on the pros and cons of each, that would help me a lot.

Response to Fl Xxl Vs Reason 2009-06-02 21:20:10

The big issue a lot of people seem to have with reason is that it has no third party support. The sounds it comes with and stuff you buy from propellerhead is it.

Also, if you want to record audio in any kind of reasonable way, that's another piece of software to buy.

Response to Fl Xxl Vs Reason 2009-06-02 21:31:01

It really depends on what kind of music you want to compose.

If you're not going to be recording sources in the acoustic domain, Reason is a fantastic piece of software. Absolutely everything you need is right there, and it teaches you alot about sound design. And if you really need to record something, you can lay it down in audacity, then just bring it into one of Reason's samplers.

Reason is great for electro and house. I've been slowly migrating from Nuendo to Reason, and I'm digging the shit out of it.

Fruity Loops is also fine, and I used to use it 5 or so years ago. VST support is definitely a plus, but I'm much more fond of Reason's sequencer. Plus the stock instruments and samples that come with Fruity Loops can't compare to those that come with Reason.

Response to Fl Xxl Vs Reason 2009-06-03 01:29:04

fl. user interface is just more logical imo

Response to Fl Xxl Vs Reason 2009-06-03 07:08:24

FL makes more sense to those who are more used to computers than audio technology. Reason is vice versa. They're both very solid.

FL is more of a complete DAW, but it cannot compete with professional products. Reason works better when it's used with another professional DAW as essentally a giant VST plugin. It's also got better live performance capabilities, if that's what you're wanting.

Problem for beginners is that Reason can sound very plasticy and underproduced, while FL can sound very samey to every other track made with FL, due to use of the same built in instruments. Reason comes with a much more complete set of synths, samplers, etc which are very flexible, while to make a good quality track with FL, you need to look into getting hold of VSTs and DX plugins, which may better be used with a more professional DAW.

Up to you really, try both and see what fits. Use both and be worshiped by the AP regulars.

Response to Fl Xxl Vs Reason 2009-06-03 08:56:30

Yeah, I've been working with the Reason demo, and can definitely see what you mean by Reason being more for people who don't know about computers but know about audio production.
And also, Reason is twice the price of XXL... something to consider...

Response to Fl Xxl Vs Reason 2009-06-03 10:42:42

At 6/3/09 08:56 AM, paradimensional wrote: Yeah, I've been working with the Reason demo, and can definitely see what you mean by Reason being more for people who don't know about computers but know about audio production.
And also, Reason is twice the price of XXL... something to consider...

That's true, but consider what you get for that cost. With reasons high price tag, you get a full set of sequencers, synths and tools that cover pretty much every base you could require. With Fl, you only get a few basic VSTs and soundbanks, and not enough to make what could be considered a unique track.

however the difference between the two is that FL supports addons while Reason does not, which goes back to the point of how they should be used: Fl is a DAW, reason is a giant ReWire plugin.

Response to Fl Xxl Vs Reason 2009-06-03 12:58:29

At 6/3/09 10:42 AM, Khuskan wrote:\

With Fl, you only get a few basic VSTs and soundbanks, and not enough to make what could be considered a unique track.

Bullshit. The thing about new user's FL tracks soudning the same is they use the presets that come with synths/FX. You take the time to edit a few knobs and you'll have something that doesn't sound like every other track. And there's hundreds or thousands of free VST synths of great quality just a quick search away.

however the difference between the two is that FL supports addons while Reason does not, which goes back to the point of how they should be used: Fl is a DAW, reason is a giant ReWire plugin.

Which kind of answers the OP's question, doesn't it?

Response to Fl Xxl Vs Reason 2009-06-03 17:14:04

Ok... umm... is there anything in Reason similar to the piano roll view in FL? If there is, I can't find it. If there isn't, then Reason isn't for me.

Response to Fl Xxl Vs Reason 2009-06-03 17:36:38

At 6/3/09 05:14 PM, paradimensional wrote: Ok... umm... is there anything in Reason similar to the piano roll view in FL? If there is, I can't find it. If there isn't, then Reason isn't for me.

What, you mean like the sequencer window? As in, pretty much half of the entire reason application?

Can't miss it, it's the entire bottom half of the window, dude.

Response to Fl Xxl Vs Reason 2009-06-03 21:08:20

Yes, I see the sequencer window... but all I can see that it does is record from a midi keyboard... which 1) I need midi cables and 2) even if I did have midi cables, having to record all my parts and hope I get them right is a big pain, which is why I use the piano roll-exactly what I want, the first time.

Response to Fl Xxl Vs Reason 2009-06-03 21:19:27

At 6/3/09 09:08 PM, paradimensional wrote: Yes, I see the sequencer window... but all I can see that it does is record from a midi keyboard... which 1) I need midi cables and 2) even if I did have midi cables, having to record all my parts and hope I get them right is a big pain, which is why I use the piano roll-exactly what I want, the first time.

Draw a midi track into the sequencer window, then double click on it. Should take you into the piano roll editor.

Response to Fl Xxl Vs Reason 2009-06-03 21:27:33

Can we please have one DAW vs DAW thread?

please?

www.macjams.com/artist/kgz (Download links)

Response to Fl Xxl Vs Reason 2009-06-03 21:30:43

At 6/3/09 09:27 PM, KgZ wrote: Can we please have one DAW vs DAW thread?

please?

Why? It'll just turn into a flaming match, and God knows we have enough of those going on here already.

Response to Fl Xxl Vs Reason 2009-06-03 23:12:04

At 6/2/09 09:20 PM, loansindi wrote: The big issue a lot of people seem to have with reason is that it has no third party support. The sounds it comes with and stuff you buy from propellerhead is it.

Also, if you want to record audio in any kind of reasonable way, that's another piece of software to buy.

ok about this comment. you can use your own samples too. im getting pretty good with reason. not epic. but pretty good. i have a song coming out tat you need to hear if you want to know if the program can do. you really DO NOT NEED VST's OR 3rd party support. you can make just about anything you want in reason. and the synths you get are epic. totally versitile. you can make anything from animal hoots, to crazy flutes, to space horns, to rave synths, to circuity computer twinkles. i will say that because reason is so versitile it takes alot of learning to really get to understanding it because you have to make most everything thing from scratch. though there are alot of presets. assembling effects with instruments is extremely easy. if you want a demo of the song im working on that shows off reasons ability PM me.

now as for FL. wll i have used some but a really good friend of mine has used it for about 5 years now and i have watched him work in it alot. it is a great program and also a great buy.

my push towards reason is that if you really want to know how everything works and arent afraid of learning or of making crappy sounds until you do learn go with reason. it is also great on cpu. if you like audio manipulation go with FL

Articulation by art

Instagram @ Sequencer1

3D, Music, Dance, Make

BBS Signature

Response to Fl Xxl Vs Reason 2009-06-04 00:20:30

Here's a mad refill for reason I purchased a couple of weeks ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUK8WwTGX wc

Beats any vsti i've heard for electro, hands down.

Plus the automation in Reason is super sexy.

Response to Fl Xxl Vs Reason 2009-06-04 18:21:10

At 6/3/09 09:30 PM, jarrydn wrote:
At 6/3/09 09:27 PM, KgZ wrote: Can we please have one DAW vs DAW thread?

please?
Why? It'll just turn into a flaming match, and God knows we have enough of those going on here already.

You're missing the point.

www.macjams.com/artist/kgz (Download links)

Response to Fl Xxl Vs Reason 2009-06-05 06:09:10

Having not used Xxl but Reason, can you "rewire" FL into protools?

NEW TUNES! CHECK THEM HERE!

itsfoxhall/SownShadow Fox

Click the picture for my actual real life band D:

BBS Signature

Response to Fl Xxl Vs Reason 2009-06-05 22:06:00

It's also got better live performance capabilities, if that's what you're wanting.

get Live, and when max for live comes all the other programs will be destroyed
lol
http://www.simonv.com/tutorials/quality.
php

and the topic is FL studio xxl, which contains more plugins than the cheaper versions

more pro daws? would that be renoise, people here talking about ketaset, then listen to renoise user venetian snares, nice having a good audio editor for samples

Response to Fl Xxl Vs Reason 2009-06-05 22:41:59

At 6/4/09 12:20 AM, jarrydn wrote: Here's a mad refill for reason I purchased a couple of weeks ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUK8WwTGX wc

Beats any vsti i've heard for electro, hands down.

Plus the automation in Reason is super sexy.

Man, you just threw away money.
Those synths can be easily done by yourself with combinator.