Dexter3000
Dexter3000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Dexter3000's art thread. Jun. 2nd, 2009 @ 11:07 AM Reply

Hey guys!here is my art thread!

i love to draw,and i also write comics.i have mostly self taught myself how to draw over a couple of years.i like drawing cartoony pictures above realistic ones.

so to start off,here is a pic of a White Pikmin i did free-hand with a track pad on MS Paint.constructive critisism is welcome.

Dexter3000's art thread.

idiot-monarch
idiot-monarch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Artist
Response to Dexter3000's art thread. Jun. 2nd, 2009 @ 11:36 AM Reply

Your line art is extremely messy and ugly. It's generally very thick, but there are some extremely thin bits too.

I'd suggest you keep the line art consistent and generally thinner.

Latest Blog Entry - thx

BBS Signature
Dexter3000
Dexter3000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Dexter3000's art thread. Jun. 2nd, 2009 @ 11:40 AM Reply

At 6/2/09 11:36 AM, idiot-monarch wrote: Your line art is extremely messy and ugly. It's generally very thick, but there are some extremely thin bits too.

I'd suggest you keep the line art consistent and generally thinner.

Sure thing.i'll keep that in mind.thank you for the critism Idiot-Monarch. ;)

Psibat
Psibat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Dexter3000's art thread. Jun. 2nd, 2009 @ 11:48 AM Reply

Try saving in a different format, e.g PNG then going into another program to save it as JPG or GIF and set the quality tp as high as possible.

Dexter3000
Dexter3000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Dexter3000's art thread. Jun. 2nd, 2009 @ 11:58 AM Reply

At 6/2/09 11:48 AM, Psibat wrote: Try saving in a different format, e.g PNG then going into another program to save it as JPG or GIF and set the quality tp as high as possible.

Well,i wanted more about the picture itself rather than the image quality,but thanks anyway.

ImpendingRiot
ImpendingRiot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Dexter3000's art thread. Jun. 2nd, 2009 @ 11:59 AM Reply

The fact you're using ms paint AND a track pad is just asking for trouble

Word to your mother

BBS Signature
JoeTheToucan
JoeTheToucan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Dexter3000's art thread. Jun. 2nd, 2009 @ 12:59 PM Reply

At 6/2/09 11:07 AM, Dexter3000 wrote:
so to start off,here is a pic of a White Pikmin i did free-hand

Please stop saying you done em 'free hand', think we can tell, and it doesn't make anyone sympathise the pieces'oh wow, thats good for freehand ms paint' Either it's good or bad, regardless of method.
There isn't much to the picture we can criticise really, it's very simple. So monarch was right to give crit on the linework, it really drags the quality down.

Perhaps show us something with more detail, perhaps more original if that ain't too much to ask.
By the way, glad you handle crit well.

No mate, no.

BBS Signature
Dexter3000
Dexter3000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Dexter3000's art thread. Aug. 26th, 2009 @ 03:17 PM Reply

To be honest,i forgot this thread even existed.(well,i only just found it again.)

anyway,i dont use MS Paint anymore,i now use Paint.Net yadayadayada.

just ignore the original pic i posted,because i have improved a little since then.

anyway,here is something i did kinda recently for thisthread.

please be constructive,and i know the linework is quite messy.i use Paint.Net,and its not too Tablet Freindly.if you have any other programs to suggest,please do.

Dexter3000's art thread.

MeMB
MeMB
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Dexter3000's art thread. Aug. 26th, 2009 @ 04:31 PM Reply

No offense, but I would focus more on improving skills rather than switching programs.

BBS Signature
Dexter3000
Dexter3000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Dexter3000's art thread. Aug. 26th, 2009 @ 04:48 PM Reply

At 8/26/09 04:31 PM, MeMB wrote: No offense, but I would focus more on improving skills rather than switching programs.

yeah,i'd rather improve my art skills in general,but i was otherwise just saying.

MeMB
MeMB
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Dexter3000's art thread. Aug. 26th, 2009 @ 05:59 PM Reply

I think you could improve alot if you focused on improving perspective, anatomy and shading. I know this has been whored alot around here, but apparently alot of people seem to benefit from this site. You can check out different poses of the human body and try to incorporate them into your drawings.

www.posemaniacs.com

I know you prefer cartoony style, but good anatomy lies at the base of every style, be it cartoony or realistic.

BBS Signature
J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Dexter3000's art thread. Aug. 26th, 2009 @ 08:16 PM Reply

Id suggest drawing something for reference....
I never really did anything like that before today, But I tried it , and I instantly felt myself getting in touch with why certain shapes were like they were... (although that could be because I didnt draw from reference before...).
Just try it, posemaniacs could be a good reference site if youre looking for human anatomy...

Basically from what you draw now, I think the first thing you should work on is the linework. Of course, some art doesnt seem to have lines. but actually it has, theyve just been painted over. Having the right shapes is the first step to making a good drawing....

sorry if none is this makes sense.... I shouldnt post when I have been drinking....

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature
CefyJr
CefyJr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Dexter3000's art thread. Aug. 26th, 2009 @ 10:17 PM Reply

At 8/26/09 08:16 PM, J-qb wrote: Id suggest drawing something for reference....
I never really did anything like that before today, But I tried it , and I instantly felt myself getting in touch with why certain shapes were like they were... (although that could be because I didnt draw from reference before...).
Just try it, posemaniacs could be a good reference site if youre looking for human anatomy...

Basically from what you draw now, I think the first thing you should work on is the linework. Of course, some art doesnt seem to have lines. but actually it has, theyve just been painted over. Having the right shapes is the first step to making a good drawing....

What he said. After just a few life drawings, I have improved incredibly fast. Especially in quick sketching a semi-accurate human body. I found myself sketching in class today (without reference) and because of my practice, I was able to sketch some full body action poses in about a minute each. I've never been able to do that before I tried drawing from life.

Aside from that, I could name a few things, but one problem I'm noticing is your shadows.

Right now, you just have a single line as your shadow. It's all on one side, which is all well and good, but there needs to be much more shadow if you're going to use any.

Drawing a light source always helps visualize where it is and how it will effect the object. Another way to help this is to divide your drawing into recognizable segments when shading.

Let's use your pikmin drawing as a reference and say that the light is in the top left corner.

-You know his head is a sphere, so you can shade it as one. If need be, you can use google images to find a sphere for a reference.
-His body is like an egg, which is very similar to his sphere head. So shade it in a very similar way.
-His arms, legs, and stem-head are all, for the most part, cylinders. So shade them as such.

Once you're done shading every segment, you can fill in any awkward looking gaps, and voila! A cleanly shaded figure that will pop out of the page (or computer) much more than before.

Oh, boy.

BBS Signature
Dexter3000
Dexter3000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Dexter3000's art thread. Aug. 27th, 2009 @ 04:41 AM Reply

At 8/26/09 05:59 PM, MeMB wrote: I think you could improve alot if you focused on improving perspective, anatomy and shading. I know this has been whored alot around here, but apparently alot of people seem to benefit from this site. You can check out different poses of the human body and try to incorporate them into your drawings.

www.posemaniacs.com

I know you prefer cartoony style, but good anatomy lies at the base of every style, be it cartoony or realistic.

Thanks a bundle,MeMB!i'll keep this in mind.i knew that there was a lot of things i could improve on,so thanks.i have got a little better with my antonomy,seeing that i dont give characters 2 right hands anymore.

Dexter3000
Dexter3000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Dexter3000's art thread. Aug. 27th, 2009 @ 05:06 AM Reply

Hey,i just wanted to say,thanks for the advice.i really do appreciate it.and i'll go check out that site too,and practice my antonomy.

Dexter3000
Dexter3000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Dexter3000's art thread. Aug. 27th, 2009 @ 12:09 PM Reply

At some point im going to upload some of my stuff i drew on paper.the linework will be much neater than what i have posted here with Paint.Net.

for now,here is a just something i did for the madness day 2009 art collab.(yep,its pretty simple,i know,and the linework is also very jagged.)

Dexter3000's art thread.

CosmicDebris
CosmicDebris
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Dexter3000's art thread. Aug. 27th, 2009 @ 02:39 PM Reply

I hate that thing you do with the sleeves, srsly, it looks horrible.

hur,hur.

BBS Signature
Dexter3000
Dexter3000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Dexter3000's art thread. Aug. 27th, 2009 @ 03:05 PM Reply

At 8/27/09 02:39 PM, CosmicDebris wrote: I hate that thing you do with the sleeves, srsly, it looks horrible.

ok.i'll keep that in mind.

Dexter3000
Dexter3000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Dexter3000's art thread. Aug. 27th, 2009 @ 03:37 PM Reply

Just something i did.

by the way,i would mainly like some advice on how to improve my art,but i also like some opinions on my art style.

Dexter3000's art thread.

Daverom
Daverom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Melancholy
Response to Dexter3000's art thread. Aug. 27th, 2009 @ 04:00 PM Reply

At 8/27/09 03:37 PM, Dexter3000 wrote: Just something i did.

by the way,i would mainly like some advice on how to improve my art,but i also like some opinions on my art style.

You don't seem to have any solid foundation of how your characters look, and what I mean by that is that you'll draw the same character, except his eyes or nose will be in a different spot, kinda miner but still, on the bodies, it just seems like there no structure, you just put them there.
I send people to this a lot best tutorials I'v ever used, because they can work for whatever you want to do.

Dexter3000
Dexter3000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Dexter3000's art thread. Aug. 27th, 2009 @ 04:04 PM Reply

At 8/27/09 04:00 PM, M-Vero wrote: You don't seem to have any solid foundation of how your characters look, and what I mean by that is that you'll draw the same character, except his eyes or nose will be in a different spot, kinda miner but still, on the bodies, it just seems like there no structure, you just put them there.
I send people to this a lot best tutorials I'v ever used, because they can work for whatever you want to do.

i dont neccasarily actually draw the same character,but i understand what you mean.but there various diffrences i do to characters,such as diffrent shape of the head,ect.but i understand what you mean.

and thanks for the tutorial,sounds helpful.

CefyJr
CefyJr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Dexter3000's art thread. Aug. 27th, 2009 @ 08:58 PM Reply

At 8/27/09 03:37 PM, Dexter3000 wrote: Just something i did.

I really wish that you would get your head out of style. This is a pandemic I see amongst all younger drawers. They adopt a style that they feel is pretty fun to draw, and they stick with that for eeeever. I got stuck in the same rut when I was your age. I would draw things a lot like LazyMuffin for over a year. I didn't improve hardly at all until I dropped the notion of "style" and just started to draw. Now, even though it doesn't really show in my art posts in the portal, I'm pretty versatile in my ability to draw and I don't feel a need to draw everything in one particular "style".

Try not to settle on a style at such a young age. Be flexible and try to not get stuck drawing the same quality pictures over and over. The only time I would stick on a "style" is if you find that people seem to love your art and want to see more that are similar.

Oh, boy.

BBS Signature
Daverom
Daverom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Melancholy
Response to Dexter3000's art thread. Aug. 27th, 2009 @ 09:08 PM Reply

At 8/27/09 08:58 PM, CefyJr wrote: lots of stuff on style and not sticking to it at a young age.

Very yes, listen to this, I used to try so many "styles" I went through almost a style a week, finding some new way to draw things when I realized that's what I should be doing, not trying to stick to one. My work was horrid looking back on my old stuff, now I have a semi realistic comicy thing going on, but I'm sure that'll change sooner or later.

JoeTheToucan
JoeTheToucan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Dexter3000's art thread. Aug. 28th, 2009 @ 03:46 AM Reply

At 8/27/09 08:58 PM, CefyJr wrote: Try not to settle on a style at such a young age. Be flexible and try to not get stuck drawing the same quality pictures over and over.

I drew when I was younger out of envy of the artsy types, always getting their works held up to the rest of the class to ooh and aah at. That being the case, I always wanted to draw amazing things, however capable, or incapable, I was. Now I'd say I'm a pretty damn decent all-round 'artist', looking back at how I was. All out of envy. Same with acrobatics. I can do any basic flip you can think of now.

end of chapter 1, sorry.

No mate, no.

BBS Signature
Dexter3000
Dexter3000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Dexter3000's art thread. Aug. 28th, 2009 @ 04:09 AM Reply

Thats a great point guys.i will try and be more flexible.its just i have came to use that style for nearly a year now,and i keep using it because i mainly use that art style in my comics.anyway,its a fair point.i really appreciate the advice guys.:D

Dexter3000
Dexter3000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Dexter3000's art thread. Aug. 28th, 2009 @ 01:51 PM Reply

Something i did in my sketchpad.

Unfortuanatly,the image quality of the scan didn't turn out too good as i'd hoped.

High Res.

Dexter3000's art thread.

Dexter3000
Dexter3000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Dexter3000's art thread. Sep. 1st, 2009 @ 12:20 PM Reply

Im not sure if this really counts,but i thought i'd post a little (crappy)Easytoon Gif here too.

also,i have been practing my antonomy a bit.(i haven't much of a chance due to the fact i have been over the past weekend as i was at my cousin's house.but im starting to realise where i have been going wrong.im gonna try and just "Draw" like CefyJr said.seeing that him and M-Vero said that when they were around my age they would try styles,i guess its maybe just a phase that maybe all young artists like myself go through.

Dexter3000's art thread.

Ashman
Ashman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Artist
Response to Dexter3000's art thread. Sep. 1st, 2009 @ 12:37 PM Reply

yes everyone goes through that phase when i was at school i would only draw people with squarish heads and i would always take shortcuts, now i try more realistic stuff, if you practice youll be good dex youve got potential

Dexter3000
Dexter3000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Dexter3000's art thread. Sep. 1st, 2009 @ 12:46 PM Reply

At 9/1/09 12:37 PM, ashman112 wrote: yes everyone goes through that phase when i was at school i would only draw people with squarish heads and i would always take shortcuts, now i try more realistic stuff, if you practice youll be good dex youve got potential

thank you Ashman.alot of people have said i have alot of potential,such as my art teacher at school.he also said that a sketch i did that was realism was brilliant,and i hate to sound big headed,but that is actually quite alot coming from him,seeing that with all the stuff other people i know come out with,he just says its "alright" and passes it off as a piece of crap.

Zytemarre
Zytemarre
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Dexter3000's art thread. Sep. 1st, 2009 @ 02:27 PM Reply

This is all funny and random. Keep up the creativity "DEXTER3000"

Yeah i need to work on a signature...maybe i'll borrow yours for now.