00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

B0ss3 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

"Record" New from Propellorhead!

823 Views | 13 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

"Record" New from Propellorhead! 2009-05-31 22:35:42

SO there was big news at propellor head a while ago. yes the ability to record audio in reason is finally here. in this program, if you wish you can use open reason files and continue the project very easily, you can even just use record instead of reason if you have both installed. though record is directed toward a more non electronica audience, if you have reason possibilities really open up. for example im wondering if vocoders will now be able to be used live!

i made this topic to talk about and post things about this new innovative software. so what do you all think? im excited

propellor head record page
http://www.propellerheads.se/products/re cord/

micro tutorial 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ItujcTMO Xo&feature=PlayList&p=48432468B697F262&p laynext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=37

propellor head blog on record
http://www.propellerheads.se/company/cre w/index.cfm?fuseaction=dsp_plan&PID=18

Articulation by art

Instagram @ Sequencer1

3D, Music, Dance, Make

BBS Signature

Response to "Record" New from Propellorhead! 2009-05-31 23:40:26

someone made a topic about this already.

the overall opinion seems to be 'reason still sucks because there's no third party support.'

It's right here in the first few topics. See? http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1065 848

Response to "Record" New from Propellorhead! 2009-05-31 23:49:47

yes you are right they did...but the point of the topic isnt about reason or about if it "sux" it was supposed to be about program that is called "record" and that other topic doesnt have info sources on it as much.

do you have any useful things to say or questions that could relate to the program?

Articulation by art

Instagram @ Sequencer1

3D, Music, Dance, Make

BBS Signature

Response to "Record" New from Propellorhead! 2009-06-01 00:34:21

Fine. Since the other thread has kind of devolved into a fight.

How does this new development present me, a guitarist first, and composer second, a better way to create music than what I use now? (That being, either audacity for recording, editing, and mixing with some external software for drum tracks or other instrumentals, or recording straight into FL)?

Reason doesn't support VST, so there goes my amplifier modeling software. This is my biggest concern. Sure, looking at the product page, it comes with line6 plugins. What if I'm not a fan of the modeling options offered in that package?

I've used reason briefly, and it struck me as software that more or less requires a MIDI controller. If I want to support my record tracks with synths and such, is this still true?

I guess my question is... for whom does record offer a significant upgrade over what they're already using? Most artists here who do any recording use audacity or audition for most of their 'real' music production.

Response to "Record" New from Propellorhead! 2009-06-01 00:42:09

At 6/1/09 12:34 AM, loansindi wrote: Fine. Since the other thread has kind of devolved into a fight.

How does this new development present me, a guitarist first, and composer second, a better way to create music than what I use now? (That being, either audacity for recording, editing, and mixing with some external software for drum tracks or other instrumentals, or recording straight into FL)?

Yeah I 've got FL Studio and adobe audition both have had the ability to record for fucking ever. What type of software can't record? Its like those mcnuggets a few years ago they had an ad which said now made with 100% chicken and i'm like WTF were they making them from before?

Keeping it real with fake computer music since 2006

Spotify

Lime Tea

BBS Signature

Response to "Record" New from Propellorhead! 2009-06-01 00:50:25

well supporting multiple line ins is important for multi track recording bands and such. if you dont like line 6 well, it cant be helped. but you can always rout your instruments though any hardware you own before it goes into the computer. record sports a quick and easy interface for recording artists who just want to start right away instead of set up preferences. sure a midi controller helps in reason but you can always use the ol'pencil tool to draw in notes. i believe there is a keyboard typer too.

if you actually own reason then using the sound banks and insturments there can really help with getting any idea you want down. as a composer i would say that the best think about using propellor heads products is that you can come up with a way to express any timbre or tone you need just upon though, after training yourself with the program that is. if you never use any midi function on record and just wish to use it as an audio recorder like audacity, it is almost just as simple to use. just press the record button.
record also has a really good mixer in it for when you are done recording and want to pan and mix things. the multi take recording is also a really nice feature of the record program.

but the bottom line for any daw is that if you arent willing to learn the basics of any program you wont get very far.

but i hope i answered a few questions.

i think alot of trance and hip hop artists can benefit from this program too it they use reason because i know sometimes i would have rather wanted to slice my sounds than resample them. the program will make slicing alot easier for me. and what is more is that people goin gfrom reason will have an easy time converting to its audio interface as well. ableton was like an alien to me when i first used it and so was logic, atleast with record ill know what to do

Articulation by art

Instagram @ Sequencer1

3D, Music, Dance, Make

BBS Signature

Response to "Record" New from Propellorhead! 2009-06-01 01:21:56

At 6/1/09 12:50 AM, Darren-M wrote: but i hope i answered a few questions.

yeah. you've told me that propellerhead's record doesn't do jack for anyone who already records their music.

or did I misinterpret your meaning?

Response to "Record" New from Propellorhead! 2009-06-01 01:31:49

At 6/1/09 01:21 AM, loansindi wrote:
At 6/1/09 12:50 AM, Darren-M wrote: but i hope i answered a few questions.
yeah. you've told me that propellerhead's record doesn't do jack for anyone who already records their music.

or did I misinterpret your meaning?

I think that about sums it up loansindi

Keeping it real with fake computer music since 2006

Spotify

Lime Tea

BBS Signature

Response to "Record" New from Propellorhead! 2009-06-01 03:04:24

I wouldn't even call Record a seperate program. It's like an update for Reason, but they decided to make it a new program so they could charge for it.

Response to "Record" New from Propellorhead! 2009-06-01 03:07:28

At 6/1/09 03:04 AM, nathanallenpinard wrote: I wouldn't even call Record a seperate program. It's like an update for Reason, but they decided to make it a new program so they could charge for it.

Yeah... seems to me like they're really just adding something that should have been there from the start. I'm not familiar with Reason, and until I read this thread I didn't even know that you couldn't record with it. Glad I never shelled out $400 for it ;)

Response to "Record" New from Propellorhead! 2009-06-01 11:18:29

hi everybody.
first, yeah, in reason u cant record live instruments, and yeah, u need some midi controller to use it well.
But, I started using Reason when it was still version 2, and I made my best works with ver 3 and now ver 4 since 2007, and I still don't have any midi controller. For keyboards ,I use Virtual Midi Controller LE from SoundCo Soft, it's small, it's free, and it gives u the ability to play your pc keyboard as a midi keyboard; for the audio latency problem, there's Asio4All drivers, that gives u better audio quality and muuuuuuch less latency with any ordinary builtin audio chip (I'm on an Acer laptop with a Realtek HD built in chip :V), aaaaand for the Vocoder thingy, Asio4All offers Rewschel, that emulates a Rewire input, so that , in Reason, u can connect a microphone to your mic/line in input, add a Rewire Input Machine, connect it as a modulation signal input to the Reason Vocoder, and use your synth sound vocoded in realtime... and if u wanted to record something to use in Reason, u could either create a .rex loop (if it's a loop) with Recycle, or import ur recorded files as samples for the builtin NNXT Sampler (Reason built-in sampler)... if u want to make something with Reason, u can do it, u just need to use your fantasy a lli more :)

Oooook enough offtopic questions, let's talk about Record:
As I saw the Record page on the Propellerhead one month ago (more or less) I was like OMG THEY DIT IT *_______* and I still am with the omg face xD I'm a guitarist too, and I'm a composer too, and I think that Record will surely expand my musical horizons to the furthest possible... yah, maybe the builtin line6 patches could not be that good, but hey it's still a Propellerhead software, don't even think that u cannot modify them in almost every way u could think!
For the third party support I agree with you, the use of other softwares or plugin whitin Record/Reason could be veeeeeery useful for almost everything (for example: using the Native Instruments B4 II within Record/Reason via VST *___*)

Conclusion: I'm very excited about Record, and I cant wait to get my hands on it!!

MICKMAD is on YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/user/Mick108 0dgMad

Go check my Account Page!!! There's more music! And there'll be even more! WOOT

Response to "Record" New from Propellorhead! 2009-06-01 16:48:43

if u want to make something with Reason, u can do it, u just need to use your fantasy a lli more :)

exactly! and what most people dont get is that reason and even record can act like giant VST's to add to any pre existing daw through rewire mode. thats how i always thought of it. once giant vst that does most everything. what else would you need besides surround sound editing functions and a few mastering controls maybe if you are into that. see you dont have to "not use vst's and your other daws" you can use them together!

i am really excited about record because i can use recording functions to finally lay down some quick vocals. sometimes i just need them to hold place within my compositions. i come from a strong choral background and i cant say how man times i have wanted to just record myself singing the progressions or notes of my melody as soon as i think of it instead of struggling to recal it when i play it on my controller.

the mixer is intense aswell. it looks like there are more effect sends on this one than in reason 4

im wondering if ill like the line 6 distortion more than the scream 4. scream four could do alot but sometimes i just feel like im only guessing at how the controls are mod/warping the frequencies.

Articulation by art

Instagram @ Sequencer1

3D, Music, Dance, Make

BBS Signature

Response to "Record" New from Propellorhead! 2009-06-01 18:11:14

At 6/1/09 04:48 PM, Darren-M wrote: the mixer is intense aswell. it looks like there are more effect sends on this one than in reason 4

Well, it gives you PLENTY more fx sends (the mixer is based on the SSL 9000K, which is this mixer right here ====> http://mancaveaudio.files.wordpress.com/
2009/03/ssl_9000j_80in_72load.jpg
)

im wondering if ill like the line 6 distortion more than the scream 4. scream four could do alot but sometimes i just feel like im only guessing at how the controls are mod/warping the frequencies.

For the line6: I just got my hands on Record 1.0b2 (yup, the beta is already out :P) and I played around some time with it, and I'll tell you, at this time there aren't so many effects (actually it just supports 3 amp simulations and 3 cabinets), but hey it's just a beta release, there will be so much more :) and btw I read that u could be able to create your very own sounds with some line6 software ;)

MICKMAD is on YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/user/Mick108 0dgMad

Go check my Account Page!!! There's more music! And there'll be even more! WOOT

Response to "Record" New from Propellorhead! 2009-06-01 18:39:16

woah that mixer is really awesome. looks like it gives alot of control.

yeah i have applied for the beta. i wonder when they will get to me though.

well i hope they put in some unique effects for us to choose from with good useful modulation and filter controls.

Articulation by art

Instagram @ Sequencer1

3D, Music, Dance, Make

BBS Signature