• 994 Replies
RandomExploit
RandomExploit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs May. 31st, 2009 @ 02:08 PM

I find that IP bans should be enforced. Alternate accounts are on the rise and there's no way to stop them VIA accounts.

It's just a waste of admin (and mod?) time trying to simply delete accounts.

However, the IP bans shouldn't be too harsh, as the worst can still be acceptable users.

BLU Wins
UNFUNNY TF2 PUN OR SOMETHING HERE

BBS Signature
Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Audiophile
Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs May. 31st, 2009 @ 02:09 PM

You know.. 4chan is actually a decent site once you overlook the whole /b/ cesspool of rubbish. They have some good boards and good discussion available.

I can't see the problem with talking about their activities, especially when they are in the news a lot now. I do agree with Gendo, I have seen perfectly good threads about 4chan locked due to the wrong reasons really.

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature
Onepiece285
Onepiece285
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Melancholy
Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs May. 31st, 2009 @ 02:14 PM

Less bans and more warnings to newer users. They're newer and still learning the ins and outs of the BBS, and shouldn't be punished as severely for it. I remember when I was relatively new here and I'd be banned for every nook and cranny rule I broke, and never once got any warnings. They aren't 3-4 year regulars, they don't fully know what goes on here from day to day.

\\\Da Blackhawks\\\--///Dancing preteen butts///--\\\2014 NHL Playoffs Discussion\\\--///Dancing Psyduck Dauntly Reaching///

BBS Signature
gumOnShoe
gumOnShoe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs May. 31st, 2009 @ 02:15 PM

At 5/31/09 02:00 PM, MultiCanimefan wrote: How exactly does it show that you don't respect the users? Call me short-sighted or whatever, but I don't clearly see how merely helping out a user by pointing things out is a sign of disrespect. If anything, it should show that you care without being a condescending wanna-be mod.

I'm talking about the variety of user who has it in their head that they deserve to be a moderator and hence go around saying "Stop this its against the rules" or "You should be banned" or "These threads are against the rules" or "Don't do this." That's not helping anyone.

Yes, the PM system is great for this, but if that were the case and everyone just used the PM system instead of "kinda backseat modding" then Mods would be swamped with messages. Furthermore, the PM system shouldn't be used all that much if Mods went into the threads themselves.

We do go into threads, but its unlikely we'll open every thread ever made, even if its just because we missed one. Sorry guys, we are human. If I have 10 extra pms in my inbox everyday, so be it. I'll let a user know when they need to back off, but as of yet, I've never had to do that.

Out of everything, this has to be my biggest issue with the BBS. The line is often fuzzy and like you said very thin and it's sometimes hard to distinguish.

Which is why I said I usually don't ban on this issue though other mods might. I'll send a pm to the user first asking them to stop posting like that, but some users don't get it the first time.

People interpret posts differently. What may imply false authority to one user may not to another. It's all relative when it comes to this, unless of course it's blatantly obvious.

At the point when you are telling another user to act another way, you've clearly crossed the line. That isn't relative. If you feel the need to do that, take it up with them in a pm and deal with the issue one on one and the consequences of doing so.

Newgrounds Anthology? 20,000 Word Max. [Submit]

Music? Click Sig:

BBS Signature
Gendo
Gendo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs May. 31st, 2009 @ 02:15 PM

At 5/31/09 02:14 PM, Onepiece285 wrote: Less bans and more warnings to newer users.

Just because you haven't been here for years doesn't mean you can't read the rules and behave.

Elios
Elios
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs May. 31st, 2009 @ 02:23 PM

At 5/31/09 02:09 PM, Gagsy wrote: You know.. 4chan is actually a decent site once you overlook the whole /b/ cesspool of rubbish. They have some good boards and good discussion available.

I can't see the problem with talking about their activities, especially when they are in the news a lot now. I do agree with Gendo, I have seen perfectly good threads about 4chan locked due to the wrong reasons really.

I agree. Most the the people who think 4chan think "/b/, no, GTFO now.". I hate to say it, but in reality, the BBS and 4chan are the same concept; a pile of shit with gold underneath it.

It looks disgusting, but start digging, and you'll find the good stuff. And the Mods can help by deleting the shit, and display the gold.

Do what now...?

BBS Signature
Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Audiophile
Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs May. 31st, 2009 @ 02:29 PM

Oh another thing that really cheeses me off is how rude and sarcastic some mods can be to new users.

Let's be honest, most of us didn't look at the rules at them when we first joined, and if we did, it was a quick look, not taking much in.

Then a new user will make a thread saying "Hi, I'm new blah blah blah", and so quickly a mod will lock topic with a sarcastic message and even welcome them with a first ban. I find the mods usually are ruder to the new user then other users are, most regulars just link them to the rules and move on, not a lot of the mods though.

The way I see it, this only does bad for NG in trying to keep new users here. The mods could be scaring off potential decent posters, who's only crime is one most of us have done ourselves.

Can't there be some kind of template message for mods to post when this happens, KINDLY letting the user know that it's against the rules to make such a thread and guiding them to the rules and faqs without being total dicks about it?

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature
HeartbreakHoldout
HeartbreakHoldout
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs May. 31st, 2009 @ 02:31 PM

At 5/31/09 02:23 PM, Elios wrote: I agree. Most the the people who think 4chan think "/b/, no, GTFO now.". I hate to say it, but in reality, the BBS and 4chan are the same concept; a pile of shit with gold underneath it.

I disagree in the way that I think 4chan and Newgrounds are totally different, and that is why I think they don't have to be separate.
4chan and the NG BBS serve somewhat different purposes, which means that 4chan can bring extra depth to NG.

Plenty of our users frequent 4chan anyway, so it makes sense for them to discuss things which they can all relate to.

Timmy
Timmy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Art Lover
Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs May. 31st, 2009 @ 02:32 PM

Everything has pretty much been said, but I would like to stress Elios' point about the 'Spam Topic' ban.

I'm fairly certain that 90% of my bans have been from posting in spam topics, and I think the 'spam topic' rule is a bit unclear - and especially unfair for newer users who cannot recognize a spam topic.

I mean, I feel like 'spam topic' is very relative. I've seen spammy topics made by established regulars turn into great threads, and I've seen spam topics made by unsuspecting new users deleted in 30 seconds, and bans handed out to the users who posted in it.

I know that many mods are forgiving with spam topic bans, and will simply warn the users, but I feel like giving out any bans for posting in a spam topic (unless the post itself is spam) is unfair. Whether the OP is banned should be decided on a case-by-case basis, of course (is it a new user? have they been warned before? how spammy is the topic?).

Sig by BlueHippo / User Icon by CosmicDeath.

BBS Signature
squidly
squidly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs May. 31st, 2009 @ 02:34 PM

I once got a 3 day ban for posting a reply such as this:

"Let's not"

to a thread saying:

"Let's try this."

EyeLovePoozy did it, and I find it really stupidly unfair.

Good.

andycastaneda
andycastaneda
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs May. 31st, 2009 @ 02:42 PM

If you could ban a new user, who has made a shit thread, for the shortest amount of time and explain what to and not to do on the bbs (unwritten rules)

I am the coolest Otaku you will ever meet.

BBS Signature
<deleted>
Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs May. 31st, 2009 @ 02:49 PM

I had a feeling something like this would be brought up, going off some of the problems long-time users have brought up recently. A lot of what I think about the BBS has already been brought up to some degree by other users here, but I may as well just offer a few points while I'm here.

Firstly, I don't post anywhere near as often as I used to. I now see myself as a creepy, lurker expert of some sort though, so I still get around seeing what's hitting the BBS. Me posting less isn't the product of "Nazi moderating" or whatever; I sometimes just find it hard to actually contribute something to a thread. If I can't do that, I don't see the point, something that is repeated quite a few times at the bottom of the rules. I suppose there are different levels of taking the "before posting..." guideline, but I guess I'm one of the ones that follows it a little harsher. That doesn't mean I think all posts under three average sized paragraphs should be deleted: if someone's an idiot on the forum, I'll just see them as an idiot most of the time.

However, there are a few cases where a moderator has just clearly ignored that guideline, which is just a little concerning. I'll say now that it doesn't happen very often, because like many users, I think many of the mods are decent people who do a good job around here. There have been times though, and I'm not going to name names, where a mod has posted something along the lines of "What the fuck are you talking about?" I look at posts like that and just think, why did you even bother posting in the thread if you don't know what it's discussing? A friend and long-time BBS user claimed to me once that had he posted that message, it's possible he would've been banned for it. I'm not entirely sure about that, but it was still annoying to see.

Similar to that, some of the ways in which mod (or general Newgrounds) criticism/feedback is responded to borders on ridiculous. See this thread for instance. Yes, the original poster, kaywire, could have made a much better and more moderate thread to discuss what he wanted, and the fact he didn't is his own fault, I know. Threads like this are relatively good examples of how things can be discussed well, rather than resorting to "go if you don't like it" tactics. It's a bit murky, but my point is that people can talk about the mechanisms of the site quite well if they want to. Simply tarring a user as "stupid kid spammer" or something simply for bringing up a few points doesn't work for anyone. Don't get me wrong, there are faults on both sides, and I acknowledge that those faults are generally always a minority, whether we're talking about the regular users or the mods.

Obviously, I'll admit that I don't know how the moderating system really works, so I can't comment there (and because of this, I don't always like talking about almighty BBS politics, because I know it brands me to some extent as some shitty little upstart). Again, I think things are fine for the most part, and as someone said, a lot of the mods are interesting enough people to talk to off the BBS. Even EyeLovePoozy has seemed like a nice guy when I've spoken to him (if only briefly compared to others) elsewhere. On the BBS, "problems" are flagged at certain times, possibly as the outcome to some mod decision. As many like the amplify though, they're not perfect. I think rule-related matters can just be fine-tuned that little bit more if you know what I mean... WilliWowza brought this up on more than a few occasions.

Making an ultimate set of rules for every mod to work by would be difficult to devise in my opinion. The BBS, like any other Internet forum, is built on subjectivity, and therefore rules have to work with that. I definitely think Zerok's rule blog could be incorporated into the rules page though, and as I've said above, some of the responses people generally give to certain threads can be really ironed out. I'm not saying mods and users alike should ditch their sense of humour at the log-in (after all, a lot of you make up for the fact I don't have a sense of humour), but some attempted, "witty, sarcastic humour" is better off elsewhere, I think. Trying to make kids laugh by trying to say the word fuck as many times as possible in one post isn't really effective.

Yeah, my points are all over the place, and they are vague. Eh, I'll post them here for the sake of them possibly being built on or something. I wrote this up, not only because I'm grey and serious, but because I love Newgrounds. As I've said before, I wouldn't keep coming here if I didn't like the users, the mods and the general atmosphere among many other things. Even though I don't post much, I sneak around a lot, helping where I can. I think it's just a shame that as of recently, people I've known for months and years are growing fed up with the place. Hopefully I've brought up one or two things.

I think there was more I wanted to say... I need a notebook on my desk top for memory purposes :P
EnconXV
EnconXV
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs May. 31st, 2009 @ 02:59 PM

Threads that just amount to innane battering that should be deleted, but aren't. That's a my big problem with this place.

Take these threads, for example. You see, this is one of the reasons why experienced (so to speak) users get disenchanted with this place. Seeing the same threads about how some kid is gonna kick the fat kid's/emo kid's/ugly nerd's ass is boring and it amounts to nothing interesting to talk about. If people were really interested in how was your day at school, they'd visit your blog.

Rucklo
Rucklo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Audiophile
Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs May. 31st, 2009 @ 03:02 PM

At 5/31/09 02:59 PM, EnconXV wrote: Threads that just amount to innane battering that should be deleted, but aren't. That's a my big problem with this place.

Take these threads, for example. You see, this is one of the reasons why experienced (so to speak) users get disenchanted with this place. Seeing the same threads about how some kid is gonna kick the fat kid's/emo kid's/ugly nerd's ass is boring and it amounts to nothing interesting to talk about. If people were really interested in how was your day at school, they'd visit your blog.

yea, so we lock the thread and say "blog it instead" and then people start bitching about people not visiting their blogs instead. frankly, it's like that with many issues brought up in this thread.

WHAT WHAT WHAT MAKE UP YOUR MIND, NG BBS!

Join the Newgrounds Battlefield 3 Platoon (for PC)! DON'T ASK WHAT YOUR GAME CAN DO FOR YOU, ASK WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR, UH, NEWGROUNDS! ON BATTLEFIELD 3. eh...

Zerok
Zerok
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Writer
Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs May. 31st, 2009 @ 03:03 PM

At 5/31/09 11:17 AM, 1nt4rw3b5 wrote: Having about 40-50 mods, each with their own MO, is irritating. What one mod will take as a joke/find funny and let slide, could easily be deleted and land you with a ban whan a different mod comes on a few minutes later. The mods need to stop adding their own pet hates to their no-go lists. Please re-write and standardise the BBS rules and make sure all the mods stick to them.

I'd totally be down for a standardized list. Hell, I've even tried to champion the effort a few times before.

Problem is, you gotta convince the admins that there's a need and merit for it. In the big picture sense of things, there really isn't. BBS veteran retention may not be at an all time high now (has it ever though? Really?) but that's pretty inconsequential when it comes to the steamrolling engine that is NG. The organization of the mod team is FARRrrrrr below optimal, but it's QUITE adequate for the needs of NG at this time (or so one would be led to believe).

It all breaks down to "you can't please everyone."

However it would be quite awesome if mods toned down the breaking their own rules thing. It's a simple step in the right direction. It'll be impossible for every mod to bend to every other mod's set of standards but there are some acting-outs that aren't necessary.

But then again, in the end, there's no real reward or incentive for "professionalism" on the team. Such is the tendency for volunteer positions, I guess.

Zerok blog: PM me if you like music | My (retired) webcomic: Pizza For Guys

KevnElevn
KevnElevn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs May. 31st, 2009 @ 03:08 PM

At 5/31/09 12:08 PM, Luis wrote:
I dont think theres really a problem with having an alt. Tom has one. Its fun to have your alter-ego and enjoy the site.

Hello Luis.

Anyway...

I feel like the BBS could be a lot better and less spammy if the whistle system was implemented into the forums.

It'd be a good way of notifying moderators of abuse and spam without PMing them and causing annoyance.

cheesebizkit
cheesebizkit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs May. 31st, 2009 @ 03:09 PM

things are fine, mods can act however they want, because they still going to be hated. by everyone.

BBS Signature
Zerok
Zerok
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Writer
Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs May. 31st, 2009 @ 03:10 PM

At 5/31/09 03:02 PM, Rucklo wrote: yea, so we lock the thread and say "blog it instead" and then people start bitching about people not visiting their blogs instead. frankly, it's like that with many issues brought up in this thread.

Yeah, good example of the ol' "can't please everyone."

I'd also like to put it out there that I'm with a lot of people on the issues of auto-spam-thread bans (aka DESTROY). If I use that option, most of the time it's only the OP that gets it. If I extend the favour to the posters, its only after I've read all the posts (and deleted ones that weren't really malicious).

Igotaname13
Igotaname13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs May. 31st, 2009 @ 03:10 PM

When someone has just signed up make it when someone clicks forums that they get a pop up that shows the rules.

Also the rules need to be updated, they are a little stale. Now its just if a moderator thinks your worth discussing and what they think about you other than the rules.

"We will hang the Capitalist with the rope they sell us!"
-Joseph Stalin

Luxury-Yacht
Luxury-Yacht
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Movie Buff
Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs May. 31st, 2009 @ 03:11 PM

Well, I think that it would be helpful if the less official rules (like the one's on Zerok's userpage post) that can get people banned should be added to the official rule list that everyone can instantly see as long as those rules are going to be enforced. It's pretty discouraging to get banned for something that isn't even in the official BBS guidelines.

i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i
oh no I am choking on a million dicks

BBS Signature
JKMonkey
JKMonkey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Art Lover
Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs May. 31st, 2009 @ 03:12 PM

I think that moderators should stop locking cool and fun threads, like the Scarriest Masturbation Moments thread, the Masturbate/Kill Yourself With Your Level Icon, why did they need to get locked? They were fun threads that people enjoyed reading and posting in.

|"My dick was in the Guinness Boom of World Records... Then I left the library.|

BBS Signature
Holonboy
Holonboy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Gamer
Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs May. 31st, 2009 @ 03:14 PM

At 5/31/09 11:00 AM, Jonas wrote: I'm not going to ban anyone posting in here provided you act civil.

Let's try to avoid flame wars, but I'm going to ask an honest question.

What can moderators be doing better? Is there something that annoys you about how things happen, or is there something you would like to see happen?

delete the BBS
I'm noticing that some users aren't enjoying the BBS, or worse leaving, and that's not best thing to see.

I actually just cleared several bans and sent apologies out solely because I made a mistake, and should have sent a warning to the users instead of banning them, and I want your guys opinion.

If you make a shitty post, I'll delete it, but realistically, let's chat and talk about how we can make the BBS a solid fun place again. It's cool if you don't see anything wrong with the BBS, and it's better if you can help me figure out what the users think.

I don't plan on banning people posting honest thoughtful opinions here, but I can't say promise that from other moderators, but at that point, that'd be a total chode thing to do.

So 4 cereal, here's the simple question

What can be improved on the BBS?

DISCLAIMER - Your opinion may be ignored if you're stupid.

I have a question. What is a flame war?

You can make the BBS better by first giving people warnings before the ban. If they get more then 3 warnings per month, then ban them. You should also tell the user why they were banned so they know what they did wrong. And the ban should be one day instead of two.

BBS Signature
Zerok
Zerok
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Writer
Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs May. 31st, 2009 @ 03:15 PM

At 5/31/09 03:09 PM, Mendou wrote: I suggest creating an 'infraction' based system,

Ohhhh there's alllll sorts of things you can add to the BBS to make it run better and fairer. Like the whistle system implementation that Kevn suggested up there.

In my fantasies, I'll see a system that doesn't just punish bad BBS behaviour but overtly rewards good behaviour. Some sort of stat! It would run similarly to the whistle system (people can up-vote good posts) with all sort of intricate and clever hidden algorithms to prevent spam and refine the "scores" such that GOOD posters would have shiny profile credentials and people would aspire to achieve them.

BUT.

That kind of shit would take a long ass time for our staff to whip up and test. Like I said, is there really a need to put so much effort into such a thing? For what? To appease a few hundred folks who aren't REALLY being that inconvenienced? They could rather be working on something major and awesome (*cough* Art Portal *cough* Lit Portal) that affects tons of people everywhere positively.

Elios
Elios
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs May. 31st, 2009 @ 03:22 PM

At 5/31/09 03:14 PM, Holonboy wrote: If they get more then 3 warnings per month, then ban them.

That sounds a little too loose. I'd say one warning, and then ban. Three warnings, that's just giving someone an excuse to piss off a mod.

User - "Hahaha"
Mod - "Stop that"
User - "Hahahaha"
Mod - "Stop that!"
User - "KEKEKEKE!"
Mod - "ARGH! BAN!!!"

Do what now...?

BBS Signature
<deleted>
Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs May. 31st, 2009 @ 03:23 PM

At 5/31/09 03:02 PM, Rucklo wrote: yea, so we lock the thread and say "blog it instead" and then people start bitching about people not visiting their blogs instead. frankly, it's like that with many issues brought up in this thread.

WHAT WHAT WHAT MAKE UP YOUR MIND, NG BBS!

I think that is one of those largely unsolvable opinion-based issues - or alternatively, as Zerok brings up, a "you can't always get what you want" thing. For as far as my own opinions go, I actually think the right call is made a large part of the time. I just advise to users who prefer to go through this sort of posts, to just look around the main blog page for a bit, since then the person in question will at least have one visitor to his/her userpage! Yes, that is a all-too-simple happy-happy way of looking at it, but it's something I suppose.

Or is it about the post counts? That's a matter of opinion I suppose.

I've discussed it a dozen times before, but I do have my bones to pick with the blog option for user-created literature. I'm not going to discuss it here though for various reasons: I know various decisions have already been long made, and I'm not at all aware of the backroom discussion obviously; the upcoming literature portal; the necessity for strict regulation if the literature ban was ever seriously re-considered. Most of all, this is still obviously a Flash/Audio site, and the staff are always working towards what they see as most improtant, rightly so.

Going with Zerok's point again, that applies to the forums too. Anyway, we'll discuss what we can, hmm.

InsertFunnyUserName
InsertFunnyUserName
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Melancholy
Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs May. 31st, 2009 @ 03:22 PM

All that I can say has pretty much already been said.

Get rid of double standards and make sure mods set a good example for newer (and even regular) users

Make sure that everything that is against the rules is clearly written on the rules page (ie. clone posting).

Put links to threads like the official video thread, this thread, and other official threads in a section somewhere on the rules page as too remove blissful ignorance. I know a lot of people post video threads without any discussion behind it not because they're intentionally ignoring the rules, but because they aren't aware that the video thread exists. Because, really, that thread is hardly ever on the first page because no one actually posts in it.

Possibly create an official "Hi, I'm new" thread. This is one I just thought of on the spot when I was writing up my bit about official threads, so I haven't really weighed the pros and cons, but it's an idea.

As far as the "add mods from different time zones" concern goes, I know it would probably be a good idea to get mods that come on at those times, but I don't think it's that much of a concern. I come on sometimes at like 4, 5 in the morning when there's not many mods on but, coincidentally, there's not that many users on, either. I've never really noticed the forums being overwhelmed by spam at those times so much so that it pushes large numbers of good threads off the front page like it would if we didn't have enough mods on during our "prime times".

I don't really have much of a problem with the destroy function; I don't seem to be hindered that much by it anymore. I generally know what threads to post in and what threads not to post in. And, since not every deleted thread is a destroyed thread, I think that gives plenty enough mercy to the people that posted in it. And how did I learn not to post in certain threads? By being destroy banned. It's not like they're particularly brutal bans. I say keep that feature, but don't use it liberally.

I mean, I used to have a problem with it when I was a newer user because I used to get them a lot. But I don't anymore because I try to only post in threads that I *gasp* think are worth posting in. Generally, if a thread is worth getting destroyed, it's not worth my time and therefore, I don't have a reason to spend time on it.

Besides, the worst thing that happens is I don't have a reason to stay cooped up in front of my computer all day.

I think nonconstructive backseat modding posts should be deleted. There's no reason why anyone needs to post "put it in your blog" or anything of the like without something else in their post that is constructive to the thread unless what they're posting is actually helpful to the OP.

Like, if someone posts a "Hi, I'm new" thread and another user says hi and explains about the rules page, that's no so much of a problem because it's actually helping the OP. But, I keep seeing over and over again people pretending that they're doing a public service by whining at the OP without offering anything else constructive or anything that could contribute to the topic at hand. The only that does is derail the thread and piss off the OP.

For example, "Post it in your blog" does not help the OP. At all. Neither does "this thread is useless", "newgrounds isn't the place for this", etc.

But even if that isn't payed attention to, I definitely think users' backseat modding posts should be deleted when they're wrong. For example, when someone asks an art question like "what's a good anatomy guide?" or "is a this a good tablet?" and then some user goes and tells the OP to take it to the art forum. That post should be deleted because it's misleading. That's against the rules in the art forum and posting it there will get the person's thread locked. Things like that.

At 5/31/09 01:56 PM, Elios wrote: Eyelovepoozy, oh lol. in my opinion, he's an ok guy. Sure he can dish out a cruel joke, and a shovel full of bans, but the way i see it, he's doing the work of three mods at once. The regulars see it as "Abuse of power", and the new guys see it as "He's out to get me". Not that i'm saying people should stop posting when Poozy is online for the sake of a possible ban, but when bigger brother is watching, i watch what i say, carefully.

I'm a regular who's been using these forums for almost three years and in my opinion, the mod team has never been that bad. There's been a few rotten apples and there's been shit users, but the moderation apocalypse has not happened yet.

However, I do have problems with poozy. Now, I have never once been banned by poozy on these forums since he's been modded and I don't believe any of my threads have been locked by him (not that I make that many), so it's not as if I have a personal grudge against him.

The problem with poozy is that, like others have said, he sets a horrible example. I don't really have a problem with him acting like an ass because there's lots of asses around here, but I do have a problem with him acting asslike and having that asslike behavior being displayed as model behavior. Not only does he get away with his childish behavior, but the attention of users is drawn to his posts because he's a mod and therefore, that's the behavior that is highlighted.

Newer uses get set in place by the regulars and the mods. I know for sure that that was the case for me. I lurked and saw what the regulars were doing and learned to mimic that and when I didn't and when I stepped out of line, I got told off for it or banned. When you're starting out, you learn what's acceptable by watching and by consequence.

Now, when there's a highly respected user (ie. poozy) who's behavior is clearly against the rules (ie. flaming the OP, spamming, one liners, etc.), a newer user is going to see that and think that, "Hey, I guess this is okay because a mod is doing it."

That's why I have a problem with poozy.

Now, he's not the only mod I've seen doing this. I've seen several other mods doing things like this who haven't been reprimanded, but poozy is the mod that I see doing it regularly.

And the strangest part is that, when I went back and I looked at his earlier posts (I was bored.), he was a good user around when he got modded and he was a good mod to start out with (helpful, constructive, etc) so I can completely understand why he was elected to be a mod in the first place, but then, I guess, it just went to his head or something.

He's not that bad of a mod, but he is a bad example.

[quote]

whoa art what

BBS Signature
InsertFunnyUserName
InsertFunnyUserName
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Melancholy
Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs May. 31st, 2009 @ 03:29 PM

Sorry for the double post, but the post I'm replying to was posted while I was typing up my 7000 character first post.

At 5/31/09 03:15 PM, Zerok wrote: In my fantasies, I'll see a system that doesn't just punish bad BBS behaviour but overtly rewards good behaviour. Some sort of stat! It would run similarly to the whistle system (people can up-vote good posts) with all sort of intricate and clever hidden algorithms to prevent spam and refine the "scores" such that GOOD posters would have shiny profile credentials and people would aspire to achieve them.

That problem with that kind of stat system is, and I've seen this on other forums I've been to, that people will downvote and upvote users based on whether they like them or not, not based on how helpful or constructive the post is.

On one forum I was on, someone downvoted me because they thought my post was "gay" (that particular forum let users leave comments when they downvoted or upvoted. The comment left with that one was "that's gay"). I anticipate things like that happening.

Unless, of course, the ability to downvote and upvote posts would be left to the mods.

[quote]

whoa art what

BBS Signature
Elios
Elios
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs May. 31st, 2009 @ 03:31 PM

At 5/31/09 03:22 PM, InsertFunnyUserName wrote: He's not that bad of a mod, but he is a bad example.

That actually makes sense. When you think about it, when we get new users here (young and old), they're very impressionable. And if what Poozy is saying appears to them as acceptable, then there's a problem.

Do what now...?

BBS Signature
Zerok
Zerok
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Writer
Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs May. 31st, 2009 @ 03:35 PM

At 5/31/09 03:23 PM, Scarab wrote: I've discussed it a dozen times before, but I do have my bones to pick with the blog option for user-created literature. I'm not going to discuss it here though for various reasons:

Well I don't know if you were around when the heat of it was at its worst... but it was bad. You had so many people who thought that a "story" was a paragraph or two. For those who put out maybe a 6/10 effort, the replies to such stories were dry and short and generally terrible. There were a few wordsmiths out there who wrote great BBS stories, kept an audience and generated great discussion.

Sadly, they were the minority. Hence we shut down the cancerous outburst of hack writers. The only way to control it would be to individually grant permissions to good writers, which would become a subjective call and potential for tons of drama.

Then blogs came and made for an easy pressure release, decision wise.

Now comes the Lit Portal, which will essentially solve everything (hopefully).

So if you can maintain your appreciated patience just a little while longer, that'd be swell. Enjoy the MWCs as well, they're a great way to regulate both the quality and abundance of fiction you read on the BBS as we wait for the LP.

Shakyjake
Shakyjake
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Programmer
Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs May. 31st, 2009 @ 03:37 PM

At 5/31/09 03:29 PM, InsertFunnyUserName wrote: That problem with that kind of stat system is, and I've seen this on other forums I've been to, that people will downvote and upvote users based on whether they like them or not, not based on how helpful or constructive the post is.

Exactly what I was gonna say. I mean, look at the review rating system. I think a large amount of people simply vote negative in reviews because they don't agree with the score, or they don't like the user. Look at Tom's reviews, I wouldn't exactly say some of them were helpful but people just plus them anyway for arse-kissing reasons no doubt.

Any system like this would be open to abuse on NG.