00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Zombiehit just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Punks of Newgrounds

36,806 Views | 528 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Punks of Newgrounds 2009-05-28 17:35:01

This club is for anybody who LOVES Punk music, all sub-genres allowed.

I think it is a good idea for us to all be able to come together online and discuss anything at all going on in our lives, music related, whatever you may want to discuss with other folk who love Punk music, and those who ARE punks in the real world, somewhat like Metal Hell, just for Punk music!

I am allowing anybody to join, but ask if you can first, before you just begin posting, and also, if you guys could help advertise the thread by putting it in your signatures, user-pages, etc, that would be highly appreciated!

I want us all to become a family, and all that nice shit. So come on Punks, let's get together in our new home on Newgrounds.

My favorite punk bands are the following:
The Misfits (Oldschool misfits is the only Misfits I will listen to, because of Danzig)
Leftover Crack
The Distillers
Sex Pistols
Pennywise

All sorts of different Punk Genres are listed there, and those are only a few of the punk bands I listen to.
The past thread was locked by Malachy, and I see why he did it, and I totally understand, so I'm letting this club be open to all people who enjoy Punk music, and who are Punks, as I stated before.

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2009-05-28 17:56:39

This is definitely better than the last one. I will pop in once in a while.

I love a couple of punk rock bands
- The Offspring (Everything but their crappy mainstream songs, so mostly their first albums)
- Pennywise
Some ska
-Less Than Jake
and I really like Dropkick Murphys

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2009-05-28 18:03:13

At 5/28/09 05:56 PM, SpiffyMasta wrote:
Some ska
-Less Than Jake
and I really like Dropkick Murphys

Ska eh? How about Big D and the Kids Table?

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2009-05-28 18:49:03

I definitely wouldn't call myself punk, but it's easily my favourite genre of music.

Favourite bands:
Stiff Little Fingers
Street Dogs
Rancid
The Clash
Toy Dolls
The Pogues
Flogging Molly
Dropkick Murphys
The Tossers

I'm really into Celtic Punk as far as subgenres go.

Anyway, anyone listened to Rancid's new album yet? It's no "...And Out Come The Wolves", but it's their best one in a while. Couple of ace tracks on it.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2009-05-28 18:51:21

At 5/28/09 06:03 PM, EpicFail wrote:
Ska eh? How about Big D and the Kids Table?

Never heard. I was into ska a lot more when I was in like 8th or 9th grade, so like probably 9-10 years ago. Less Than Jake is the only band I still really listen to. Maybe some Catch 22 once in a while. I used to have a Catch 22 shirt I used to wear all the time. Looking back at those days I should slap myself in the face haha.

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2009-05-28 20:44:54

At 5/28/09 06:49 PM, TheMaster wrote:
Favourite bands:
Stiff Little Fingers
Street Dogs
Rancid
The Clash
Toy Dolls
The Pogues
Flogging Molly
Dropkick Murphys
The Tossers

Amazing bands.

Anyway, anyone listened to Rancid's new album yet? It's no "...And Out Come The Wolves", but it's their best one in a while. Couple of ace tracks on it.

I really would like to check it out, whenever I get some money I'll probably go buy it...

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2009-05-28 21:37:17

I enjoy this culb idea very much.
I plan on going to Insubordination fest at my city. A concert with bands like Teen Idles and Dead Milkmen.

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2009-05-28 21:59:52

At 5/28/09 09:37 PM, aninjaman wrote: I enjoy this culb idea very much.
I plan on going to Insubordination fest at my city. A concert with bands like Teen Idles and Dead Milkmen.

Sounds like a good time, I wish their were more punk shows here.

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2009-05-28 22:17:04

I listen to ska-punk along with just a bit of real punk.

Ska-punk
The Arrogant Sons of Bitches (r.i.p.)
Stuck Lucky
Voodoo Glow Skulls
Bomb the Music Industry!
Leftover Crack
Star Fucking Hipsters
Detective Jabsco (r.i.p)
Against All Authority
The Suicide Machines
The Flaming Tsunamis
Buck-O-Nine
Mighty Mighty Bosstones

Punk
The Exploited
Gallows
Oi Polloi
Casualties
Sham 69
Dead Kennedys
Sex Pistols (of course)

I'll stop by here every once in a while, even though I really don't identify myself with the punk community.

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2009-05-28 22:50:02

At 5/28/09 06:03 PM, EpicFail wrote: Ska eh? How about Big D and the Kids Table?

Didn't they actually start their band in the hardcore punk culture, and move more towards bubbly, fun, ska type songs???

BTW, I listen to punk, and locally I'm a part time punk guitarist.

If you want to talk ska though, how can you not mention The Toasters, and Flogging Molly???

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2009-05-28 23:00:23

aww ya im hecka joinin!! NG PUNKS!!! i vote our motto be "NG PUNX: NO RULEZ" >=]]

i listen to mainly hardcore underground punk like paramore i dont expect any of you posers to know em.

REAL TALK: you better go get a glass of orange juice & spill it all over yourself likea big dumb baby before i tear through your hymen like a dog tears through a piece of meat

BBS Signature

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2009-05-29 00:51:45

Finally! I'm so glad this exist, I hope it makes it. I assume we can include everything from hardcore to ska then. ( extreme sub-genres like deathcore and metalcore?) Either way, rad shit

Dead Kennedys
Big D and The Kids Table * I actually saw them last summer, they put on a great show
The Ramones
Outbreak
Have Heart
The Mongoloids
Sexy Heroes
The Mighty Mighty Bosstones
Ceremony
Rivalmob
Bracewar
Trash Talk
Cruel Hand
Patent Pending
Four Years Strong
Catch 22
Reel Big Fish
Five Finger Death Punch
Suicide Silence

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2009-05-29 00:59:16

I see you guys all basically listed The Exploited, any of you guys see the video of the riot in Montreal when they found out that the show had been canceled? Look it up on youtube, The Exploited Riot, should be the first video. Fucking amazing.

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2009-05-29 03:08:16

I decided to repost my original reply from the old thread.

My choice of music would have to be all the old 80's punk bands. Mainly those from Britain. My favourite bands would have to include; The Macc Lads, Anti-Nowhere League, The Business, The Damned, G.B.H, The Exploited, The Sex Pistols, UK Subs, One Way System, Angelic Upstarts, Anti-Pasti, Cock Sparrer, Abrasive Wheels and Stiff Little Fingers to name a few. I do like some of the American punk bands such as Dead Kennedys, The Ramones and The Virus are alright, but DK is probably my favourite punk band to come from America.

It's fair to say that I inherited my taste for punk music from my dad. He grew up with it and even today still listens to punk and pretty much punk only. I don't wear studded leather jackets or have a bright green mohawk, but that's not what punk is. Punks not a fashion, it's an attitude!

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2009-05-29 04:07:39

Well i guess i´ll join again.
Same list as last time, Misfits, D.I, the zeros, Murphy´s law, etc.

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2009-05-29 06:54:36

Is anyone here going to the Rebellion Festival this year?

For those who don't know what it is, it's a 3 day punk festival where many the old 80s British punk bands play. It's held in Blackpool, England. I was really wanting to go this year but most of the people I was meant to be going with can't come anymore. Gutting.

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2009-05-29 08:08:57

I really don't like to label myself "punk", because it sounds somewhat childish, but my favourite bands are:
Dead Kennedys
Black Flag
Crass
Minor Threat
Teen Idles
MDC
The Stooges
Television
MC5
Yeah, and other pre-punk/harcore shit like that. I like the political stuff a lot, especially when it's sung by Jello.

BBS Signature

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2009-05-29 12:37:31

At 5/29/09 06:54 AM, GodsBitch wrote: Is anyone here going to the Rebellion Festival this year?

Man! I would LOVE to go to that! But England is so bloody far away from Canada, and I really can NOT afford all that right now...
I might go to the big Festival they hold in a different city pretty close to hear, I can't remember the name right now, I just woke up... Too much thinking, but quite a bit of punk bands play there every year, it would be a fucking blast, and it goes on for a couple of days, probably would be the best time of my life...

You're all in.

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2009-05-29 13:28:21

I won't call myself a punk, but there's so many great punk bands:

- Anti-Flag
- The Ramones
- Sex Pistols
- Dead Kennedys
- Offspring
- The Clash

etc.

Sup, bitches :)

BBS Signature

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2009-05-29 14:30:43

At 5/29/09 01:28 PM, liaaaam wrote: - Anti-Flag

Man, I've not listened to them in ages. Had the discography on my PC before I formatted it, but it must have been saved somewhere different to all my other music, because it didn't copy over with the rest of it. Underground Network is a great album, so is A New Kind of Army. Some of the newer stuff is a bit dodgy, though.

Mind, I haven't checked out their newest album yet. Last I listened to was For Blood and Empire. I'll have to get back into them.

BBS Signature

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2009-05-29 14:47:59

Never really got in to Anti-Flag myself, heard a few songs, I think "This is the End" is by them, yes? That was a good song.

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2009-05-29 14:53:15

At 5/29/09 02:47 PM, EpicFail wrote: Never really got in to Anti-Flag myself, heard a few songs, I think "This is the End" is by them, yes? That was a good song.

Yeah, that's from For Blood and Empire. Check out "Underground Network", "Angry, Young and Poor", "Captain Anarchy", "A New Kind of Army" and "Turncoat". They're all ace songs. Probably all on Youtube.

BBS Signature

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2009-05-29 14:55:46

At 5/29/09 12:51 AM, TheWhatsit wrote: Finally! I'm so glad this exist, I hope it makes it. I assume we can include everything from hardcore to ska then. ( extreme sub-genres like deathcore and metalcore?) Either way, rad shit

Deathcore and metalcore don't have many origins in punk. Even modern hardcore bands don't hold much influence from punk, mostly the NYHC bands like Cro-mags and shit like that.

Though I do love modern hardcore, especially New England bands. Have Heart, Cruel Hand, The Carrier, Verse, Hammer Bros., Shipwreck A.D., Guns Up! Boston Hardcore ftw.

Cool side note, the guitarist from Guns Up! teaches English and Creative Writing at my high school.

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2009-05-29 15:00:22

At 5/29/09 02:55 PM, XtremeofParanoia wrote: Cool side note, the guitarist from Guns Up! teaches English and Creative Writing at my high school.

My RE teacher at school was friends with Jake Burns of Stiff Little Fingers, and I went to school with the nephew of Decca Wade from Angelic Upstarts, but that's as close as I get to knowing any punk musicians.

BBS Signature

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2009-05-29 15:44:23

At 5/29/09 02:53 PM, TheMaster wrote:
Yeah, that's from For Blood and Empire. Check out "Underground Network", "Angry, Young and Poor", "Captain Anarchy", "A New Kind of Army" and "Turncoat". They're all ace songs. Probably all on Youtube.

I'll check those out right away here.

Also, the other guy who has the guitarist as a teacher, that's incredible. I only have one person I know personally who was in a band, he taught me drums for a few years, name is Cameron Belter, doubt any of you have heard about him... He can drum anything really, he was also in a band and trying to get the same label as Nickelback at the same time as them, and I guess the label chose Nickelback, which is stupid, because Cameron is an amazing drummer, I heard some of his old bands stuff, they were incredible, kind of grunge-punk. We would have had to put up with that, which would be great, but they chose Nickelback.
Now Cameron is a depressed man, moved from Vancouver to my small city to work on his marriage, then his wife and him got divorced, he can't see his kids, he was a drum teacher for a bit but got fired for fucking some girl that worked there... Now he drives a truck around the city and drops off shit that people order.

I feel so bad for him, he is one of my best friends, been a while since I seen him, I was always there for him and shit, and then he got this new job, so I haven't had a drum lesson in a while, I don't want to learn from anyone else, just Cameron. I feel bad for him, he is so depressed with life now, and he had it all. Had a recording studio in Vancouver too, gave me all the shit he had, and he gave me some of his drum shit.

I should give him a call sometime.

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2009-05-29 19:21:48

Do you consider Punk more of a social movement or a musical genre?
Punk always seemed to be all about the mindset. Its about doing what you want to and being yourself without caring about the mainstream. The music you play doesn't have much to do with it.

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2009-05-29 19:37:38

At 5/29/09 07:21 PM, aninjaman wrote: Do you consider Punk more of a social movement or a musical genre?
Punk always seemed to be all about the mindset. Its about doing what you want to and being yourself without caring about the mainstream. The music you play doesn't have much to do with it.

Thanks for sharing what we already knew, I see punk as a musical genre and a social movement, I personally do what I want to, I be myself, I don't care what the community/society thinks, and I couldn't care less about shit. I also enjoy the genre, so this is club is for either of those people.

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2009-05-29 20:28:53

You're in Victory.
I fucking love Iggy Pop, in my opinion, he is like the God Father of Punk music, although most people tend to disagree with me.

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2009-05-30 13:52:01

Any of you guys like The Ramones at all, I got a new Ramones album today for 10 dollars.
Not a new album by them, but it's new to me...

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2009-05-30 14:21:31

At 5/29/09 02:30 PM, TheMaster wrote: Mind, I haven't checked out their newest album yet. Last I listened to was For Blood and Empire. I'll have to get back into them.

In my opinion their newest album (Bright Lights of America) is there best, but it's a lot less punk than their earlier work. I only recently started listening to them but they're one of my favourite bands. "Gotta Die For Your Government", "Press Corpse", "One Trillion Dollars", "Shadow of the Dead", "This is the End", "Fuck Police Brutality".. I hate listing songs by bands I really like, because I realise halfway through that I'm overdoing it, but those are awesome and there's an awful lot more. Plus it seems they have a new album out on the 9th of June, along with the Billy Talent album on the 13th.. that is going to be a good week :)

I'm going to Leeds Festival (UK pop/rock 3 day festival) at the end of August, the line-up is pretty mediocre.. Kaiser Cheifs, Prodigy and Eagles of Death Metal were the only ones I cared for, then Anti-Flag and Billy Talent were announced, it made the £180 ticket seem worth so much more :3

At 5/30/09 01:52 PM, EpicFail wrote: Any of you guys like The Ramones at all, I got a new Ramones album today for 10 dollars.
Not a new album by them, but it's new to me...

Yeah, I mean.. they're quite a legendary band. Blitzkrieg Pop, I Wanna be Sedated, The KKK Took My Baby Away.. great music.

Sup, bitches :)

BBS Signature