New Topic Respond to this Topic
Daumenkino
Daumenkino
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Power Of 3 Teams and file sharing May. 20th, 2009 @ 10:47 PM Reply

There is going to be quite a bit of file sharing going on isn't there. I'm sure a lot of you know this but, for those who don't and were planning to e-mail each other the files, there is Subversion(SVN). It's used to maintain versions of files. You keep a folder on your comp and you connect it to the folders of your team members. So when someone makes progress they the "commit" or upload it to the host ( It's recommended that the folder is hosted on in a reliable place, like a server.) and you update your folder and the changes and additions are on your comp. Very easy process.

I have no idea about this before I met my team members. So I'm not sure if this is common knowledge. I you already knew, pass it along. Make this already difficult challenge a little easier for those who don't know.

go to my deviantart page for sweet stuff. REALLY REALLY AWESOME I promise

Daumenkino
Daumenkino
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Power Of 3 Teams and file sharing May. 20th, 2009 @ 10:49 PM Reply

excuse my typos. i proof read but missed some things.

KaynSlamdyke
KaynSlamdyke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Melancholy
Response to Power Of 3 Teams and file sharing May. 21st, 2009 @ 04:35 AM Reply

Alternatively, one of you sign up for a GMail account for the group, and send the others the password.
Then you can use the email for correspondence, and use Drafts for storing your files.

BBS Signature
Murudai
Murudai
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Power Of 3 Teams and file sharing May. 21st, 2009 @ 04:56 AM Reply

All good code should be written as classes and not in the frames of graphics. Maybe in AS2 it is better in frames, but you shouldn't be using AS2. In AS3 the vast, vast majority of your code should be held in external classes.

Which means that the FLA is just for the artist, and you can just work on the classes separately and there is no overlap at all :) A better programming practice AND your problem solved, it's a win/win!

GustTheASGuy
GustTheASGuy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Power Of 3 Teams and file sharing May. 21st, 2009 @ 05:15 AM Reply

At 5/21/09 04:35 AM, KaynSlamdyke wrote: Alternatively, one of you sign up for a GMail account for the group, and send the others the password.
Then you can use the email for correspondence, and use Drafts for storing your files.

That's.. stupid. Why would you do that when there's good SVN and forum hosting everywhere?

BBS Signature
4urentertainment
4urentertainment
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to Power Of 3 Teams and file sharing May. 21st, 2009 @ 05:32 AM Reply

I think most people will just add each other on MSN or something similar and send their files that way.

KaynSlamdyke
KaynSlamdyke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Melancholy
Response to Power Of 3 Teams and file sharing May. 21st, 2009 @ 05:53 AM Reply

At 5/21/09 05:15 AM, GustTheASGuy wrote: That's.. stupid. Why would you do that when there's good SVN and forum hosting everywhere?

Its what we did in Uni before SVN got popular and trendy.
For correspondence I meant with Tom and other people, so that you have a team email account and you all have access to it.

As pointed out above, most people aren't going to be doing nightly builds of every files - the coders will be updating ASes, the musicians will be uploading MP3s and the artists will be editing individual FLAs. There is no reason to have a revisioning system if theres no chance of overwriting someone else's work.

BBS Signature
KaynSlamdyke
KaynSlamdyke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Melancholy
Response to Power Of 3 Teams and file sharing May. 21st, 2009 @ 06:04 AM Reply

Additional.

Unfuddle, after five minutes of google searching, is the only SVN repository that stands out that is free. Yes I realise that people can pay for Subversion hosting, but lets be fair here, if you have free options you should take them. And at only 2 users and 200mb of storage plus a learning curve above "click to upload file", I'd personally go with the 7gb Googlemail account, or abusing Spamtheweb or any of the other Denvish uploaders.

BBS Signature
Will
Will
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Power Of 3 Teams and file sharing May. 21st, 2009 @ 09:01 AM Reply

Hopefully STW will release collab system sooner than expected.

BBS Signature
Erbmaster
Erbmaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Artist
Response to Power Of 3 Teams and file sharing May. 24th, 2009 @ 02:31 PM Reply

At 5/21/09 04:56 AM, Murudai wrote: All good code should be written as classes and not in the frames of graphics. Maybe in AS2 it is better in frames, but you shouldn't be using AS2. In AS3 the vast, vast majority of your code should be held in external classes.

Which means that the FLA is just for the artist, and you can just work on the classes separately and there is no overlap at all :) A better programming practice AND your problem solved, it's a win/win!

Well it depends How many people are actually gonna code or do artwork on a team, On our team we have an artist who codes and a musician who codes also, There's always gonna be some overlap there....

Daumenkino
Daumenkino
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Power Of 3 Teams and file sharing May. 26th, 2009 @ 09:12 AM Reply

Do what ever you wish guys. Just letting people know that SVN exists.