00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Silverless just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Power of Three - Summer Event

105,795 Views | 491 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Power of Three - Summer Event 2009-05-14 13:48:13

If you've got REAL TALENT and want to take a stab at game development, NOW IS THE PERFECT TIME.

We're organizing a summer event called "Power of Three."

You have THREE weeks to organize a team of THREE people, most likely an artist, programmer and musician.

By the June 5th team deadline, you must submit an application consisting of your team members and your game concept. You can PM this to me with the subject, TEAM APPLICATION.

Game concepts must have a theme of THREE. Examples include a boss rush with three bosses or a game where you play as three characters. Be creative!

Approved teams will have roughly THREE months to make their games, so that we can begin the release schedule on September 5th.

All games will have a unified loading screen, which includes:

1) Promo link for "Power of Three" page, where participating games are listed.
2) Game title.
3) Links for the user pages of the three developers on NG.
4) In-Flash Ad (so the team makes money from their game wherever it gets played)

To accommodate the universal loading screen, we ask that games be made with a minimum width of 600 pixels and minimum height of 360 pixels. Anything larger is fine! You may want to adhere to a 16:9 TV ratio for the off-chance of a console port, in which case you should consider 640x360, 720x405 or 800x450.

Games will be promoted before launch and released on a sequential fall schedule. Once all games have been released, we'll work to distribute them across the web and maximize exposure.

Each game will promote the "Power of Three" collection on NG, with ad revenue benefiting Penny Arcade's Child's Play charity! The collection will also serve to cross-promote the games, resulting in more exposure for everyone.

The goal is for everyone to make great games and generate exposure and money, while at the same time raising additional funds for charity!

To further achieve this goal, teams will be in regular contact through the summer, providing team-to-team feedback. This event is more cooperative than competitive, although ultimately games will be ranked by score and the best games will get the most publicity.

We already have a number of preliminary teams in place with some heavy hitters itching to make games. Some notes:

- You may be on more than one team if you can complete the requirements for each project. Don't overextend yourself!

- You may want to split your money evenly, or weigh it in favor of who will have to do the most work. Please make these decisions up-front so you don't fight about it later.

- Try to get really creative within the constraints and surprise us with how you integrate the number three into your game concept! If we feel that too many games are trying to do the same thing, we'll try to help each one find its own niche.

You may use this thread to volunteer your interest in joining a team, but please don't let this thread be the end-all for your team-building decisions. The best advice I will ever give is to simply find people you respect and ASK them if they want to team up. Just be aware of your own abilities; approach people who you think are a little bit out of your league but not TOO far out. I don't want Adam Phillips to get PMs from every guy who knows how to code a button.

If you're a decent programmer, there are A LOT of great artists on this site who would be happy to make a game but don't know who to ask, so ask them before someone else does! The same goes for artists and musicians; ask while the asking is good! There is gonna be so much creative energy happening, we might go NUCLEAR.

The partnerships you build during this exercise could become partnerships for life, so start thinking NOW about what game you could be making. Think about how it could be better than most current web games.

Castle Crashers has sold almost 1 million copies because Dan Paladin asked me if I wanted to make a game where you smash stuff with your balls. I dare you to do better!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Power of Three - Summer Event 2009-05-14 13:50:38

Awesome Idea Tom!

Response to Power of Three - Summer Event 2009-05-14 13:51:27

I might be up for something small as a side project.

If you've never worked with me before feel free to hit me up.

Response to Power of Three - Summer Event 2009-05-14 13:53:40

Sounds spectacular

BBS Signature

Response to Power of Three - Summer Event 2009-05-14 13:55:09

I are open to work with peopul. I doo good artz.

Response to Power of Three - Summer Event 2009-05-14 13:55:27

I should begin working!! Great awesome idea tom!

Response to Power of Three - Summer Event 2009-05-14 13:56:45

I'm interested in this.

4+ years of AS2 and AS3 (obviously less experience with AS3 but competent none the less).. if anybody wants to chat about possibly teaming up then PM me.

Sup, bitches :)

BBS Signature

Response to Power of Three - Summer Event 2009-05-14 13:57:54

Cool, I'd do that.
Anyone wants to program the shit out of a game with me?

BBS Signature

Response to Power of Three - Summer Event 2009-05-14 13:59:57

Sounds like an awesome idea. Good way to bring different authors together.
If anyone's interested in my animation or (lack of) art skill, call me up

Morning.

BBS Signature

Response to Power of Three - Summer Event 2009-05-14 14:00:37

I'd do something, but I have to spend the next seven weeks piecing together my own game portfolio for college. I'll be pretty weighed down creating my own art, sound, and code.

Will there be another chance for this kind of thing next year?

Response to Power of Three - Summer Event 2009-05-14 14:04:57

I've been wanting to make a game for a long-ass time, but when I asked if anyone wanted to help program, I got nothing. Maybe with this new project pitch I can finally find someone who is willing to join the team. Below was a 5 minute mock-up of a character. I guess I'll start the PMing now.

Response to Power of Three - Summer Event 2009-05-14 14:05:23

Great idea! I also like the fact that it will benefit Penny Arcade's Child's Play :)

Good luck to anyone who is planning to participate! And BTW, the picture at your post is cool.

Response to Power of Three - Summer Event 2009-05-14 14:06:26

Response to Power of Three - Summer Event 2009-05-14 14:10:46

I'm open to work with anyone as an animator, designer and artist.

Creator of the new animated show "The Everydays".

http://www.facebook.com/TheEveryday s

Response to Power of Three - Summer Event 2009-05-14 14:11:05

I've got some extra time on my hands. Any Programmers/Musicians need an Artist?

this is a great excuse to buy an intuos4

|_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_|

Response to Power of Three - Summer Event 2009-05-14 14:12:53

sounds like a great idea!

---> available audio artist right here <---

Wakka wakka

Response to Power of Three - Summer Event 2009-05-14 14:13:34

Is on of the best idea I had ever hear...
I'm pretty sure this will work absolutely great
I'm not sure if i should participate because my 'game programing' is kinda low and artist and musician... i have nothing... but anyway i'm going to enjoy this very much

~Member of the EGB since 10/04/07 ~Member of the NGDD since 10/28/07

~thanx a million times for the sig CagedSilhouette

BBS Signature

Response to Power of Three - Summer Event 2009-05-14 14:13:54

This sounds like fun. I can animate/art if anyone is interested...

Response to Power of Three - Summer Event 2009-05-14 14:15:50

I haven't got talent to do this,but seriously,awesome idea (I only might be able to be the musician,I can't animate)

Im firing mah lazzzzzzzzzor!!!!!!

Response to Power of Three - Summer Event 2009-05-14 14:15:54

Sumone should make a game where you play as knights trying to rescue color coded princesses, and it has like multiplayer capabilities that you get disconnected alot.

im sorry :*(

None

BBS Signature

Response to Power of Three - Summer Event 2009-05-14 14:16:59

Really nice idea. I'm not in to it, but I'm looking forward to the results already :)

Response to Power of Three - Summer Event 2009-05-14 14:20:09

This is awesome. I wish i only had the time [damn you exams] and a team coz i would so be doing this.

Response to Power of Three - Summer Event 2009-05-14 14:20:48

dude

I always wanted to make a game

Response to Power of Three - Summer Event 2009-05-14 14:23:14

Sounds fun :) can offer music?

Part of Newgrounds furniture since 2000.Clicky, clicky.

BBS Signature

Response to Power of Three - Summer Event 2009-05-14 14:28:18

Great!!... wait...I dont know any musician... shit...

no mames!!!!

Response to Power of Three - Summer Event 2009-05-14 14:30:54

Hi, i'd be happy to work with other people, i'm a pretty good Animator.
Can't wait to work on a project !

Response to Power of Three - Summer Event 2009-05-14 14:31:22

Your so original Tom.. :3

Good luck teams :)!

IM HERE RELAX.

Response to Power of Three - Summer Event 2009-05-14 14:35:51

If anyone needs an artist who can do a smooth cartoon style (rectangular theme optional), I am willing to be part of your team! Below is just a quick sample of what I like to draw in Flash...

At 5/14/09 01:48 PM, TomFulp wrote:

I don't want Adam Phillips to get PMs from every guy who knows how to code a button.

Blast! But seriously, I am up for a potential artist.

Anyway, it's great that this is part of Child's Play and this will be a fantastic adventure.

Visiting Newgrounds Since 2003

BBS Signature

Response to Power of Three - Summer Event 2009-05-14 14:36:50

Awesome stuff, Tom!
I'd be willing to animate. Always wanted to make a game...

BBS Signature

Response to Power of Three - Summer Event 2009-05-14 14:37:33

Any prizes up for grabs? =3