00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Bi9ballz just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Speak and Spell samples

15,517 Views | 64 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Speak and Spell samples 2009-05-13 02:57:20

So I'm going to be ripping samples from my newly acquired Speak and Spell for a little programming project, and I was wondering if anyone else would be interested in procuring said samples.

The only ones I've managed to find online are recorded from the speaker, and terribly overdriven.

No idea how long it will take me, but there are 200 words, plus phrases and letters ;D

When I'm done (which should be some time over the next couple of days, work permitting), I'll throw a link up in this thread.

Speak and Spell samples

Response to Speak and Spell samples 2009-05-13 04:27:51

Hell yeah man, I'm always looking for new things to mess with. It's pretty awesome you're offering them up once you finish.

Response to Speak and Spell samples 2009-05-13 04:32:47

Do it! I'd love to have 'em to fuck around with.

Response to Speak and Spell samples 2009-05-13 06:25:14

I'd love this! :D Hopefully you can get each letter directly, and then take "requests."

I'd like to ask how you're doing this. Does it have a speaker out? Or did you solder one on? And what's your recording chain, in this case?

(Also, I've heard that Speak and Spells can be LOTS of fun to circuit bend...)

Response to Speak and Spell samples 2009-05-13 06:31:57

At 5/13/09 06:25 AM, Nav wrote: I'd love this! :D Hopefully you can get each letter directly, and then take "requests."

I'd like to ask how you're doing this. Does it have a speaker out? Or did you solder one on? And what's your recording chain, in this case?

(Also, I've heard that Speak and Spells can be LOTS of fun to circuit bend...)

Believe it or not, the speak and spell has a line out ;D

As for the recording chain...probably just the speak and spell, into my mackie desk, then into my Digi 001. Clean and simple :)

The speak and spell is indeed fun to circuit bend. Old school 1970's microprocessor technology. Fucking with the control lines on a 4 bit cpu is child's play ;D. I'm not circuit bending this one though...I have a slight aversion to destroying vintage electronics :P

The speak and spell itself can't actually spell out words that you put into it (which is what I bought it for in the first place), hence this little project I'm doing. I'm going to butcher all the words up into individual phonemes (eventually), then see if I can come up with some way of gluing them back together into other words. Considering the amount of words that it comes pre-loaded with, I might even have some leeway as far as introducing inflection goes ;D

Response to Speak and Spell samples 2009-05-13 08:02:31

This project is sexy! its a really neat idea. and that line out really helps X) im really intrested in getting my paws on this when youre done, so im glad youre deciding to share it! thats grand of you my good sir. ill be checking back on this thread later :D good luck!

BBS Signature

Response to Speak and Spell samples 2009-05-13 08:04:55

Hah Waterflame, you always seem to use distored vocals in your songs, so this would be good. :P

As for me, im not much of a vocal-user, but i will still check back!

Response to Speak and Spell samples 2009-05-13 08:28:43

At 5/13/09 08:02 AM, Waterflame wrote: This project is sexy! its a really neat idea. and that line out really helps X) im really intrested in getting my paws on this when youre done, so im glad youre deciding to share it! thats grand of you my good sir. ill be checking back on this thread later :D good luck!

Eyyyyyyy no worries man ;D

It's akways good to have people spurring me on ;D

And I have a free-ish day tomorrow, so I'll start extracting the sounds at the crack of dawn. Or you know, whenever I get up :P

Response to Speak and Spell samples 2009-05-15 01:27:14

Letters A - Z

Orrright, here's the first part. Only had time to rip the letters before I head off to work.

Once it's all done, I'll dump it into one big archive :)

Response to Speak and Spell samples 2009-05-15 01:45:35

That beep makes a sweet retro synth sample

Response to Speak and Spell samples 2009-05-15 05:22:04

At 5/15/09 01:45 AM, loansindi wrote: That beep makes a sweet retro synth sample

Nice :)

It makes a few other interesting beeps and boops which I'll make sure to add to the archive ;D

Response to Speak and Spell samples 2009-05-15 11:33:51

They sound great man, after listening to a few I can tell it'll be funner than hell messing with them. I quite like the X sample when it loops.

Response to Speak and Spell samples 2009-05-15 12:22:33

Super-cool; I look forward to the words. Thanks.

Response to Speak and Spell samples 2009-05-15 15:11:54

Thanx for the samples.

Response to Speak and Spell samples 2009-05-15 21:46:22

holy sheet :D thats like, exactly the way i was hoping the voice sounded like. thanks alot for the samples! cant wait for the words ^^

BBS Signature

Response to Speak and Spell samples 2009-05-16 04:14:44

Glad you're enjoying them so far guys :). I have a few days off of work next week, so I'll probably have the entire thing uploaded on monday or tuesday :]

And Speed, you're rate dirty :P

Response to Speak and Spell samples 2009-06-04 00:17:10

Alright guys, here they are!!!

As far as I'm aware, this is all of them. I'm going to chase down the word list and compare, just to make sure I haven't missed any. If I have, I'll rip them and upload them in a separate file.

I'm also going to try and find some of the addon cartridges so I can rip some more words :)

Annnnnyway, CLICKY!!!

Response to Speak and Spell samples 2009-06-04 00:22:43

At 6/4/09 12:17 AM, jarrydn wrote: Alright guys, here they are!!!

As far as I'm aware, this is all of them. I'm going to chase down the word list and compare, just to make sure I haven't missed any. If I have, I'll rip them and upload them in a separate file.

I'm also going to try and find some of the addon cartridges so I can rip some more words :)

Annnnnyway, CLICKY!!!

OMG man, I fucking <3 U. Just wish I knew how to incorporate these into something cool. .. .. . .Wait... Idea coming.
I think I might have to "rap" again.

nice fucking stuff Jarrydn.

BBS Signature

Response to Speak and Spell samples 2009-06-04 00:26:12

At 6/4/09 12:22 AM, Bad-Man-Incorporated wrote: OMG man, I fucking <3 U. Just wish I knew how to incorporate these into something cool. .. .. . .Wait... Idea coming.
I think I might have to "rap" again.

nice fucking stuff Jarrydn.

Aww, I <3 u too buddy ;D

I can't wait to hear what people come up with :D

Response to Speak and Spell samples 2009-06-04 00:47:05

Nice, dude! I'll definitely get some use out of these. Cheers

Response to Speak and Spell samples 2009-06-04 01:14:03

Nice!
But i really hoped there would be numbers too :P

Ah well, these are really fun too, thanks for doing this! :D

BBS Signature

Response to Speak and Spell samples 2009-06-04 01:16:57

At 6/4/09 01:14 AM, MH16 wrote: Nice!
But i really hoped there would be numbers too :P

Ah well, these are really fun too, thanks for doing this! :D

There should be numbers one through to ten ;)

Also I'm planning on chasing down a speak and math :]

Response to Speak and Spell samples 2009-06-04 07:16:06

Oh please, I'd love those samples.

Response to Speak and Spell samples 2009-06-04 08:42:07

At 6/4/09 07:16 AM, Khuskan wrote: Oh please, I'd love those samples.

Here you go ;)

Response to Speak and Spell samples 2009-06-04 14:29:10

At 6/4/09 08:42 AM, jarrydn wrote:
At 6/4/09 07:16 AM, Khuskan wrote: Oh please, I'd love those samples.
Here you go ;)

Gah, what a lovely download site, 2.5kb/s, oh well, i'll wait it out and upload them to my rapidshare account when it's done for anyone who would rather have it on there.

Response to Speak and Spell samples 2009-06-04 16:56:51

If it's any help, I seem to recall that early (read 1980's) speech synthesisers used something along the lines of 48 different phenomes (samples) to construct their speech. If you can find out what those are, you should be able to cut them out of the speak and spell samples to create a bank of words.

Response to Speak and Spell samples 2009-06-04 21:17:29

At 6/4/09 04:56 PM, Khuskan wrote: If it's any help, I seem to recall that early (read 1980's) speech synthesisers used something along the lines of 48 different phenomes (samples) to construct their speech. If you can find out what those are, you should be able to cut them out of the speak and spell samples to create a bank of words.

Yep, that's what I'll eventually be doing.

I've done some research, and no one has really cracked the encoding scheme that the speak and spell uses for storing the samples. Apparently it's pretty unique.

But I'm thinking of getting a digital probe and poking around in the guts and seeing what I can find.

Failing that, I'll just chop up the words I've sampled. Then I can use melodyne to pitch shift and time stretch them for altering the inflection and shit ;D

Response to Speak and Spell samples 2009-06-05 00:45:30

Come on guys, get working on some tracks, I'd be very interested to hear what we can do with these :)

I've been working on something pretty epic all morning XD

Perhaps we could arrange some kind of competition?

Response to Speak and Spell samples 2009-06-05 01:07:11

So are we free to use these for profit? Cause I have ideas brewing.

Response to Speak and Spell samples 2009-06-05 01:13:23

At 6/5/09 01:07 AM, Mrmilkcarton wrote: So are we free to use these for profit? Cause I have ideas brewing.

Certainly.