00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

444rgh just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ahhhh!!!

1,051 Views | 10 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ahhhh!!! 2009-05-11 03:23:52

GRRRRRRRR!!!

Ok i just spent 4 hours recording some pretty awesome music i was writing on the fly..

I was using compression, equalizing, and amp simulators and occasionally chorus. it sounds amazing while its IN THE RECORDING PROGRAM.

When i mix it down (export it) into an MP3, it is like 10x louder and VERY distorted and static-y.. and sounds like SH*T. I turned the global master volume down to 20% and it is the same loud static volume it is. the only way i can FIX the problem is by taking out all the compressing and equalizing, but then, as you can guess, it sounds like SH*T and you cant even hear the important parts.

Now, i recorded another song earlier and exported it, using the same effects, and it turned out just the way it sounded in the program. Sooo my guess is it is a bad file, and i reaaaaallly dont want to redo all that i spent 4 hours making it..

I use acoustica mixcraft.. Now are there any suggestions on how to fix it? should i just copy and paste all the files and just arrange them the same they were in the original or would that not even do anything??

Please help, I'd like to get this problem solved ASAP cause its important i finish these songs soon.

Response to Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ahhhh!!! 2009-05-11 04:53:12

Take that wav file and clean it separately, using noise removal tool (you have that in Audacity, Cool Edit, Adobe Audition).
When cleaning don't put aggressive settings, that will damage the quality of sound, better to put it like remove 50% of the noise and run the cleaning several times instead of putting to remove 100%. Just in case, save file under different name.

Also by EQ-ingbefore compression and distortion can help, if it's guitar or other mid frequencies instrument, feel free to cut high frequencies (white noise, pink noise). Just in case, save file under different name again.

Response to Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ahhhh!!! 2009-05-11 05:08:44

At 5/11/09 04:53 AM, sorohanro wrote: Take that wav file and clean it separately, using noise removal tool (you have that in Audacity, Cool Edit, Adobe Audition).
When cleaning don't put aggressive settings, that will damage the quality of sound, better to put it like remove 50% of the noise and run the cleaning several times instead of putting to remove 100%. Just in case, save file under different name.

Also by EQ-ingbefore compression and distortion can help, if it's guitar or other mid frequencies instrument, feel free to cut high frequencies (white noise, pink noise). Just in case, save file under different name again.

thanks for the help but both didnt work.. i tried a high cut EQ on all of it and it didnt work, i imported it into audacity and did a clean on it and it still was staticy just less loud.. my next move i guess is to google acoustica mixcraft forums and see if anyone else has that problem.. this sucks i spent about 4 and a half hours today recording some awesome stuff and now i cant export it

Response to Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ahhhh!!! 2009-05-11 05:18:15

eh well, put those on yousendit or mediafire and PM me the link, I might try my hands on those ;)

Response to Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ahhhh!!! 2009-05-11 14:54:11

This happens to me too, since I compose with my soundcard in 24 bit mode. It's best to switch the playback sound to 44.1 khz and 16 bit and mix it slightly from there, and do NOT use a program like audacity to downsample it ;) It seems that using free mp3 compressors really messes it up. I have been using Reason, but since I have an older version I can't export mp3, only aif or wav. So I export wav and render it again in fl studio as an mp3, and it works better.

Response to Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ahhhh!!! 2009-05-11 21:30:32

At 5/11/09 02:54 PM, MazeMaster wrote: This happens to me too, since I compose with my soundcard in 24 bit mode. It's best to switch the playback sound to 44.1 khz and 16 bit and mix it slightly from there, and do NOT use a program like audacity to downsample it ;) It seems that using free mp3 compressors really messes it up. I have been using Reason, but since I have an older version I can't export mp3, only aif or wav. So I export wav and render it again in fl studio as an mp3, and it works better.

ok so.. do i change the settings of my recording software or the settings of my soundcard? i dont know anything about either lol

there arent any export settings which pisses me off cause it would make it so much easier.. here's a screenshot of what i think could help, but i dont know what any of it does : /

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ahhhh!!!

Response to Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ahhhh!!! 2009-05-11 22:19:39

Woah, 8 bit settings? Noooooo.

Set those to 44.1khz and 16-bit audio, or 24bit if the card supports it.

If that was set to 8bit the whole time, it's no wonder why it sounded bad.

Response to Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ahhhh!!! 2009-05-11 22:27:47

At 5/11/09 10:19 PM, nathanallenpinard wrote: Woah, 8 bit settings? Noooooo.

Set those to 44.1khz and 16-bit audio, or 24bit if the card supports it.

If that was set to 8bit the whole time, it's no wonder why it sounded bad.

i think i recorded it in 24 bit and it was playing at 8 bit.. but now that i messed around with those settings, it sounds like the exported file, IN the recording software now. so i dont know what to do now

Response to Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ahhhh!!! 2009-05-11 22:29:20

If you recorded in 24bit, then export in 24bit.

You can export in 16bit too actually, but a noise shaper can help with quality (but it makes a small difference)

Don't ever play or record in 8bit.

Response to Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ahhhh!!! 2009-05-11 22:32:55

Addition: I just re-read your first post, and it seems you might've recorded in 24bit or 16bit initially, but your export or sound card settings are set at 8-bit.

That would explain why the file is 10x louder and staticy, because the higher the bit, the more headroom. So if you record at 24bit, and then go to 8bit, it's going to distort and clip like crazy because that extra headroom you had in 24bit disappeared.

Response to Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ahhhh!!! 2009-05-11 22:53:09

At 5/11/09 10:32 PM, nathanallenpinard wrote: Addition: I just re-read your first post, and it seems you might've recorded in 24bit or 16bit initially, but your export or sound card settings are set at 8-bit.

That would explain why the file is 10x louder and staticy, because the higher the bit, the more headroom. So if you record at 24bit, and then go to 8bit, it's going to distort and clip like crazy because that extra headroom you had in 24bit disappeared.

this is really weird, cause i just exported a song right before that at 16 bit and thats what i originally tried to export as (im pretty sure at least).. and NOW it sounds horrible just in the recording software, i think what ill do is redo all of it even though it will take about 4 hours again. sad day lol