New Topic Respond to this Topic
Mrmilkcarton
Mrmilkcarton
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Headphones Which/What? 2009-05-05 23:02:29 Reply

So I have about $200 dollars I'm willing to spend on a new pair of headphones I'm in dire need of. While I wish I could get monitors it probably is the best move to buy a decent pair of producer headphones since I don't have the cash to shell out for good monitors.

Everyone says Senhesier pro HD 220 or whatever the number is. Is there any suggestions or personal experiences for this and other headphones? I'd like a relatively flat and decent range on the headphones while staying in a reasonable pricing.

Thanks everyone.

Erkie
Erkie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to Headphones Which/What? 2009-05-05 23:11:42 Reply

I bought Sennheiser HD 280 a week or so ago and I'd have to jump on the bandwagon. I went up from some generic 50$ Sony headphones, and even though I have a decent soundcard and HD sound capability on my motherboard, I could tell the difference, especially in the bass.

They're roughly 100$ so you'd have money left over to buy something else.

If you decide to get them, they really clamp down so I'd advise leaving them strapped onto something slightly larger then your head until they break in.

Report Songs|Submit Ideas|How Erkie reviews|
94% of posts made in AF since 2005

BBS Signature
Millaninja
Millaninja
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Audiophile
Response to Headphones Which/What? 2009-05-05 23:41:34 Reply

I have these Skullcandy Hesh Headphones, they cost around $50, and have a great sound and Bass to them, but the only problem I have with them is that my head isn't really meant for them, (since my head is so freaking big). I would recommend you try them and see how you like them!

dbeck002
dbeck002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Headphones Which/What? 2009-05-05 23:49:51 Reply

Hi, I just picked up a set of Grado SR80i headphones.

Worth every penny.

Mids and highs are crystal clear and bass kicks well for the price you pay, really. I spent around 100 and would get another set in a heartbeat.

MaestroRage
MaestroRage
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Musician
Response to Headphones Which/What? 2009-05-05 23:50:36 Reply

all skullcandy headphones are epic shit. Most max range is 16khz, which for producer phones, are failure all around, not to mention skull candy colors your signal, not flat response.

I used to have Sennheiser HD 280 PRo's and while they were decent, after getting my Audio Technica PRO700's, they blew them clear out of the water. I think they're on sale for $150 still, retail value 280.

The Audio Technica's response is 15hz - 33khz, quite flat, 53mm drivers, the drivers being the speakers. Since the speakers are bigger, the bass is stronger and more substantial. Trust me on this, don't get those Sennheisers, if you've got $200, get something better. You won't regret the extra investment, I listen to most of my old songs through these new headphones and hear clipping and crap I didn't hear with the Senns.

nathanallenpinard
nathanallenpinard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Headphones Which/What? 2009-05-05 23:52:19 Reply

AKG K270 headphones are great for orchestral stuff, because the cones are more far away. Has a more natural not hyped sound to it.

loansindi
loansindi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to Headphones Which/What? 2009-05-06 00:27:47 Reply

Just be aware that most headphones, no matter what their response, will emphasize the low end. If for no other reason than they're clamped around your ears.

Always try to listen to your mix on a decent stereo before you call it done.

Kingbastard
Kingbastard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Musician
Response to Headphones Which/What? 2009-05-06 01:25:32 Reply

I use the Sony MDR-7506 headphones and I highly recommend them. What I would suggest though is doing plenty of research first and you can't beat going out and testing headphones as every individual is different, but for an excellent all-round headphone at a reasonable price (£82 / $124) I would say you'lll be hard pushed to find better.

gregaaron89
gregaaron89
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Headphones Which/What? 2009-05-06 01:48:04 Reply

At 5/5/09 11:50 PM, MaestroRage wrote: all skullcandy headphones are epic shit. Most max range is 16khz, which for producer phones, are failure all around, not to mention skull candy colors your signal, not flat response.

I used to have Sennheiser HD 280 PRo's and while they were decent, after getting my Audio Technica PRO700's, they blew them clear out of the water. I think they're on sale for $150 still, retail value 280.

The Audio Technica's response is 15hz - 33khz, quite flat, 53mm drivers, the drivers being the speakers. Since the speakers are bigger, the bass is stronger and more substantial. Trust me on this, don't get those Sennheisers, if you've got $200, get something better. You won't regret the extra investment, I listen to most of my old songs through these new headphones and hear clipping and crap I didn't hear with the Senns.

I am really curious to try those headphones maestro... however I got my Senn 280s for $70 when they were supposed to be $200, I'm not complaining. The biggest difference when you upgrade to Sennheisers is REVERB. You hear an incredible amount of depth in your music because of the closed ear/db attenuation. They feel fine on my head because my head is not too wide but they are kind of heavy. The main problem I have with them is that I can't really tell how punchy something is. If I have an extremely overcompressed kick, and I mean something with a BEASTLY spike, I won't hear just how powerful it is... until I remove them from my head and listen from several inches away. This happened with a clap in one song I was making, with my headphones on it sounded like this

|||
||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
||||||||||||||||||
|||

but when I removed my headpones, I noticed there was a larger spike in the beginning than I had thought.

|
|
||
|||
|||||||||
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
|||||||||
|||
||
|
|

(That was the only way I could illustrate that concept)

I don't know if that's true with most headphones because of the close proximity of the speakers, or what, but I consider it a major problem, maybe someone can explain it to me.

Also the low low bass end gets a bit weird on these and the high highs are rolled off which really PISSES ME OFF. One of my mixes sounded great on these sounded really tinny and thin because of the sheer amount of treble I couldn't notice on these. But I've learned to work with an analyzer and get a really good mix that sounds good on any system. Except it feels like I'm following the analyzer more than my ears these days. It's not impossible to produce this way.

I would say any headphones better than yours would be a strong improvement (yours are really shitty and falling apart if I can remember?) Anyway it took a while to train my ears better on these, and I've reached the point where I want something better. These are GREAT for listening but a bit tricky to produce on. If you're like me it will only take a few months for you to get tired of producing on them. These headphones will at least start to turn you into an audiophile though, and get you to hear stuff you've never heard before but still I'd go with Maestrorage, even though I've never tried the headphones myself but I trust his word.

gregaaron89
gregaaron89
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Headphones Which/What? 2009-05-06 01:49:28 Reply

oops it fucked up my little chart-thingie, ignore that it doesn't really mean anything now.

Nekoprism
Nekoprism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Headphones Which/What? 2009-05-06 07:44:26 Reply

I've been working with AKG K240 for 7 years. When I bought them they where around 250$ and I think they are amazing for monitoring.

I would have to say that most popular brand headphones are made just for listening to your music on your mp3 or system at home do not have a flat response made for mixing and you should REALLY be careful about what you're going to buy.

Good luck!

BBS Signature
robjohns4539
robjohns4539
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Headphones Which/What? 2009-05-06 07:57:43 Reply

couldnt advise you on which headphones to buy - to be honest any decent set would do, there's no need to be to fusy about it,
BUT i believe it is important to mix on both headphones and monitors as there is a huge difference to what your ear's pick up and hear when listening through both.

Mrmilkcarton
Mrmilkcarton
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Headphones Which/What? 2009-05-06 17:26:12 Reply

Thanks for all the responses I'll be looking into each individual headphone looking at reviews and pricing.

Cept the skull candy.

I'll see what I can find.

Nekoprism
Nekoprism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Headphones Which/What? 2009-05-06 21:46:33 Reply

At 5/6/09 05:26 PM, Mrmilkcarton wrote: Thanks for all the responses I'll be looking into each individual headphone looking at reviews and pricing.

Cept the skull candy.
I'll see what I can find.

Let us know what you got... and if you like them... :)

BBS Signature
ApproachingNirvana
ApproachingNirvana
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Headphones Which/What? 2009-05-06 21:51:39 Reply

Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro

Gotta drop a couple pennies though.

BBS Signature
Nav
Nav
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to Headphones Which/What? 2009-05-06 22:07:43 Reply

<--- another happy Sennheiser HD280Pro user. My main reason I love them is that they sound great overall (durh), and don't have a "loud" bass. That's a good thing. The "loud" bass clutters up the sounds, and makes it more difficult to accurately hear what's going on in the top end. If I'm DJing and I need significant bass, then I simply plug it into my amp and turn the bass EQ up. If you have access to high quality D/A converters (E-MU, etc), then get a pair.

See... The Sennheisers allow you to hear things that you wouldn't think you could notice. For example, did you know that the iPod actually has a terrible audio system? You wouldn't think so, as it's not noticeable with normal headphones, but when you use these Sennheisers, and put on the "Bass Boost" EQ, the sound actually CLIPS! Even if the volume isn't all the way up. In comparison, my Sansa Clip, which has fucking amazing D/A converters, responds beautifully when I crank the bass up on the EQ.

When I let my brother try it when he was listening to his music, he said "Wow, I didn't know that there was all this stuff going on in the song!"

If you're upgrading from earbuds/bose/skullcandy/low-grade sony, it will be like a veil has lifted. If you're upgrading from other Sennheisers, Grados, AKGs, etc... It will just sound like a nice pair of studio headphones, with massive passive noise cancellation and even moderate volume levels.

Note that they have a moderate break-in time. I ran white noise through mine for ~20 hours at a high volume to get them worn in.

HalcyonicFalconX
HalcyonicFalconX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Musician
Response to Headphones Which/What? 2009-05-06 22:35:38 Reply

Agreed on the Sennheisers. I have the 280's and they're wonderful. You get to hear so much that others leave out. Namely, with my songs, I can hear if there are any high end frequencies that need to be cut out.

Skullcandies = FAIL. :P

Okay fine, they have a very marketable logo.
SystemGlitchStarter
SystemGlitchStarter
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Headphones Which/What? 2009-05-06 22:41:08 Reply

I would go with skull candy. I have a pair and if you have the right size it will fit nicely, and the bass and treble on them are pretty sick too.

krssvr
krssvr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Audiophile
Response to Headphones Which/What? 2009-05-06 22:49:38 Reply

At 5/6/09 10:41 PM, SystemGlitchStarter wrote: I would go with skull candy. I have a pair and if you have the right size it will fit nicely, and the bass and treble on them are pretty sick too.

lol

you should have read the other posts before you posted

well i currently use shit headphones (Sony MDR-V150 lol $20.00) so when i get enough money to buy good stuff ill check back on this

"I want to care but I just... don't" -Me
Need somewhere to host audio instantly?

BBS Signature
SystemGlitchStarter
SystemGlitchStarter
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Headphones Which/What? 2009-05-06 22:50:49 Reply

I read the other posts, I just disagree.

jarrydn
jarrydn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Headphones Which/What? 2009-05-06 22:51:09 Reply

Skullcandy cans are fine for listening to music, and I'm sure at a pinch you could use them for producing, but the frequency response (which has already been mentioned in this thread) is pretty abysmal, and the lows + highs are pretty hyped. At least, that's what I've found with my hesh cans.

Now, if these were your only option, then sure, go for it.

But if you have $200 to spend, you're much better off going for the Sennheisers. They will last you much longer, and will not fatigue your ears like the skull candy ones will.

In my lolpinion, choice of headphones is a much more delicate matter than a choice of speakers.

audio / bbs troubles? drop me a PM

BBS Signature
Nav
Nav
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to Headphones Which/What? 2009-05-06 23:01:22 Reply

At 5/6/09 10:49 PM, krssvr wrote: well i currently use shit headphones (Sony MDR-V150 lol $20.00) so when i get enough money to buy good stuff ill check back on this

Those actually make decent starter headphones for those unwilling to shell out the money required for the Sennheisers. They do have an excess of bass, but they're decently built and sound good enough for most music.

nal1200
nal1200
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to Headphones Which/What? 2009-05-07 00:43:58 Reply

Comparative lists:

Sennheiser HD-280 Pro

Audio Technica ATH-PRO700 SV Professional Monitor Headphones

They're both pretty cheap on amazon.

I may invest in the latter, as both seem to be of good quality, but I KIND OF TRUST MAESTRORAGE'S OPINION MORE.

Sorry :3

nal1200
nal1200
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to Headphones Which/What? 2009-05-07 00:45:51 Reply

Though carefully note the Sennheiser having 50x more reviews, and with those reviews, a higher average score.

loansindi
loansindi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to Headphones Which/What? 2009-05-07 01:13:10 Reply

Audio Technica's stuff is generally serviceable, but shows its age quickly.

Darren-M
Darren-M
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Headphones Which/What? 2009-05-07 02:59:57 Reply

i am goin gto tell you to go with the Sony MDR V6 they are used in many professional studio environments, they arent cheap feeling they have great copper coil non oxidized. and they have a great range look them up, i am heavily satisfied with them. and compared to the sen HD serriesit makes them feel like plastic ear muffs.

go with the sony MDR series the V6 run about $115 nowadays but there are new ones i believe for a bit more

J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Headphones Which/What? 2009-05-07 04:51:15 Reply

I'm using AKG K416P, which are compact, closed, headphones. which is great for me since I like to take them all around. I'm really satisfied about these, and they were only 60 EU, which I'd say is money well spent.
I believe closed casket headphones generally give you more reverb, wich translates in an audible louder bass.

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature
PeterSatera
PeterSatera
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Headphones Which/What? 2009-05-07 07:08:26 Reply

Im also in the market for new headphones, and im pleased to say that everyones comments has helped me out, right now I do orchestral stuff. Would the Sennheiser HD280pro be beneficial to me? since they DO have DJ written on them, it suades me slightly.

The sony's mentioned (Sony MDR V6) also seem like a good grab, especially for being just over £50 where'as the HD280pros are £85. Right now im willing to pay the extra 30 for the more proffessional pair of headphones.

I want a pair of HD800...DROOLLLLL - £999 though... o_0

BBS Signature
B0UNC3
B0UNC3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to Headphones Which/What? 2009-05-07 12:52:12 Reply

I actually prefer my Philips SBC HP910. Infact I'm mixing my latest song in them

CenterWall | Soundcloud | Facebook | Twitter

B0UNC3
B0UNC3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to Headphones Which/What? 2009-05-07 12:54:13 Reply

At 5/7/09 12:52 PM, B0UNC3 wrote: I actually prefer my Philips SBC HP910. Infact I'm mixing my latest song in them

Shit, forgot to Ctrl + V.

CenterWall | Soundcloud | Facebook | Twitter