New Topic Respond to this Topic
Zero123Music
Zero123Music
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Which Orchestral Vst To Buy? May. 3rd, 2009 @ 08:44 PM Reply

My birthday is tomorrow *no need to make a b-day thread on may 4th ;)* , and I am getting mainly money.

I should have approximately 400$ after my birthday and I finish some of my projects.

My question is: Which VST is good for that price?

I would really like East West Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra Gold or Platinum but it seems a bit too pricey (as do all of "East West's" products)
I also had a look at some Vienna products that don't actually seem, "as expensive to run a small country" as I seemed to gather from the AP xD.

I would love to know which VSTi I could buy that is both realistic and not too expensive,
thankyou SO much everyone :)

>>Zero123Music
P.S I can always save up a bit more ;D

statueofdiveo
statueofdiveo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Zero123Music
Zero123Music
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Which Orchestral Vst To Buy? May. 3rd, 2009 @ 08:48 PM Reply

At 5/3/09 08:46 PM, statueofdiveo wrote: Just sample an orchestra.

What do you mean?

Fuoco
Fuoco
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Audiophile
Response to Which Orchestral Vst To Buy? May. 3rd, 2009 @ 08:51 PM Reply

Garritan Personal Orchestra.

Sakura's theme | Bunnykill 5
Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused.

BBS Signature
Fuoco
Fuoco
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Audiophile

Sakura's theme | Bunnykill 5
Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused.

BBS Signature
krssvr
krssvr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Audiophile
Response to Which Orchestral Vst To Buy? May. 3rd, 2009 @ 08:59 PM Reply

BY GPO (garritan personal orchestra) or Roland orchestra (both are over 100) but most good ones are really expensive

"I want to care but I just... don't" -Me
Need somewhere to host audio instantly?

BBS Signature
Zero123Music
Zero123Music
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Which Orchestral Vst To Buy? May. 3rd, 2009 @ 09:05 PM Reply

At 5/3/09 08:51 PM, Fuoco wrote: Garritan Personal Orchestra.

Yes, thankyou very much - this seems very suitable of what I'm looking for,

only thing Is I have Garritan Pocket Orchestra, and East West SO Silver -
hhmmm I dunno haha xD I really like the track and the articulations and fades you can do with the strings ::D

thanks alot for the suggestions!

MaestroRage
MaestroRage
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Musician
Response to Which Orchestral Vst To Buy? May. 3rd, 2009 @ 11:00 PM Reply

http://www.kirkhunterstudios.com/purchas e_hard_drive_sale.html

I got that link from Kirk himself after emailing him, asking him to lower the hard drive prices ;D! In any case, for 400 you can get a 65 gig library, I am considering getting this myself, the scripting, the samples, the textures of this library are superb, and LEAPS above Garritans.

Either way, even if you get the one below that, 40 gig library is epic. It does require good bit of RAM and cpu power, if your PC isn't strong enough, definitely go with Garritans.

TheNossinator
TheNossinator
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Musician
Response to Which Orchestral Vst To Buy? May. 4th, 2009 @ 02:38 AM Reply

At 5/3/09 11:00 PM, MaestroRage wrote: http://www.kirkhunterstudios.com/purchas e_hard_drive_sale.html

I got that link from Kirk himself after emailing him, asking him to lower the hard drive prices ;D! In any case, for 400 you can get a 65 gig library, I am considering getting this myself, the scripting, the samples, the textures of this library are superb, and LEAPS above Garritans.

So would you say this is better than EW?
I already have Garritan, and I'm looking for the next step up (or possibly two, if I could afford it).

Lashmush
Lashmush
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Which Orchestral Vst To Buy? May. 4th, 2009 @ 05:40 AM Reply

i suggest you save up like crazy for a really good one. seriously, you wont have to ever fucking switch it out and its as versatile as you are. works in EEEVERY genre you could image.

Yes, I imagine I'll make a symphonic deathpolka song just to prove this statement.

anyway, EWQL's shit is extremely good, but as you say, very pricey. so save up and buy something for atleast a hundred or two dollars, so you get some quality for your money.

Listen to and download Ultima Eternus in MP3 right here on NG or buy the lossless version! Srsly, buy it. >:c

BBS Signature
Zero123Music
Zero123Music
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Which Orchestral Vst To Buy? May. 4th, 2009 @ 08:00 AM Reply

At 5/3/09 11:00 PM, MaestroRage wrote: http://www.kirkhunterstudios.com/purchas e_hard_drive_sale.html

Either way, even if you get the one below that, 40 gig library is epic. It does require good bit of RAM and cpu power, if your PC isn't strong enough, definitely go with Garritans.

Hmm, thankyou very much- this seemsperfect :)

Are there any demo's of the Diamond Symphonic Orchestra, and do I need Kontakt 3 already? and what's the difference between "Download" and "Hard Drive" ?

nathanallenpinard
nathanallenpinard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Which Orchestral Vst To Buy? May. 4th, 2009 @ 12:08 PM Reply

The closest library I think you might come into budget with is Synful Orchestrat.

It's $475.00 at www.synful.com

It has some amazing parts to it. The stacatto's and runs are great, the sustains aren't so good (in the strings)

One thing it kicks ass at though is the solo cello. No library has a cello like that (even the expensive ones)

Synful would be a great start, and actually will get you a lot out of that minor cost.

nathanallenpinard
nathanallenpinard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Which Orchestral Vst To Buy? May. 4th, 2009 @ 12:18 PM Reply

GPO sounds decent too, especially in the strings. Some instruments don't have enough power for me in that lib though (after listening to the demos)

SilentTakedown
SilentTakedown
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 08
Musician
Response to Which Orchestral Vst To Buy? May. 13th, 2009 @ 01:11 PM Reply

Just get Cubase 5 (Or Cubase Studio 5 which is cheaper with less features).
As the VSTi I fucking recommend you the VSL Special Edition. The standard edition costs
less than 400$ and it sounds like a real orchestra. Better than Garritan or anything in that price area. :A
Cubase 5 announced a new feature: The VST Expression. You don't have to use Keyswitches anymore, you can add easily the articulations under the piano roll and it is easier than adding keyswitches!
And Vienna Instruments (VST) makes everything much easier. It's the sampler of the VSL samples and it knows when you're playing short notes or playing really fast. If you're playing short notes, you can make that program that it will play a staccato articulations. It even sees repetitions, trills and more. So you can add more than 1 instrument on a midi Channel. So you can keep your song realistic even if you're playing notes in! That's funny. ;)

Just go to:

www.Steinberg.net
&
www.vsl.co.at

There are the best softwares and VSTs on the market, trust me. ;)
And look at those tutorial videos on the VSL page about Vienna Instruments. So you can look at the feature and how to use them. If you have them, composing gets real easy. Cubase is popular because of it's great workflow and Steinberg celebrates it's 25th Birthday.
So I think Cubase is better than Sonar, because of major features and the unreached workflow.
And even official reviews had rated Cubase better than Sonar!

Just know how to spend the money best dude!
This is my plan! Do the same and you'll be very happy. :D
By the way: I don't mean offence on Sonar users. :3

- Intero

SilentTakedown
SilentTakedown
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 08
Musician
Response to Which Orchestral Vst To Buy? May. 13th, 2009 @ 01:19 PM Reply

Crap... Where is the edit function? D:
VSL Special Edition costs 465 $, in euro 360 EUR.
So I think in pounds should it be like the euro number.

Slipstreamer
Slipstreamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to Which Orchestral Vst To Buy? May. 13th, 2009 @ 01:34 PM Reply

Edirol.

Certified audiophreak, lv 60.

BBS Signature
Assassin2
Assassin2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Which Orchestral Vst To Buy? May. 23rd, 2009 @ 01:38 AM Reply

I would say save your money little one. For me having money is insanely rare. Check out my site for an idea lol. Ideally the East West stuff has a lot of sound, I mean it's enough to knock a tank over. Then again it could be worthwhile getting something different, I'm curious myself now as to what I might one day get if I get some money, or a lot of it.
Tell me how it goes when you eventually decide on something.

jrayteam6
jrayteam6
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Which Orchestral Vst To Buy? May. 23rd, 2009 @ 07:08 AM Reply

Miroslav Philharmonik. The brass is sexy.

btriangle
btriangle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Which Orchestral Vst To Buy? May. 23rd, 2009 @ 08:24 AM Reply

At 5/4/09 12:08 PM, nathanallenpinard wrote: The closest library I think you might come into budget with is Synful Orchestrat.

It's $475.00 at www.synful.com

It has some amazing parts to it. The stacatto's and runs are great, the sustains aren't so good (in the strings)

One thing it kicks ass at though is the solo cello. No library has a cello like that (even the expensive ones)

Synful would be a great start, and actually will get you a lot out of that minor cost.

Nathans right, Synful kicks ass with cello, i tried the demo a while ago.
But, if you didn't know, EWQL is having a deal "buy one get one free" I'd suggest he buy symphonic orchestra from them, and than get symphonic choirs, or something you need. Just a suggestion

btriangle
btriangle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Which Orchestral Vst To Buy? May. 23rd, 2009 @ 08:25 AM Reply

The other product would be free of course, but has to be at the same price or lower.