00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TheADHX just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Lots of News Bits

32,271 Views | 193 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Lots of News Bits 2009-04-21 15:14:17

iwanttobeadeejay came up with an idea to generate publicity for NG - get our name tattooed on Scott Townsend's back!

Go to this page and suggest "Newgrounds" as the name for Scott's tattoo!

The gang on the forums has already votes us up to 23rd. Help bring us to first!

The XGen team has released Defend Your Castle for iPhones! They had previously released a popular WiiWare version and many of you played the original Flash game right here on NG!

Check out A Bid For Freedom for a neat example of what happens when various skill sets from NG come together. It combines great writing, art and vocal talent into an interactive storybook.

Johnathan Wrathborne will be giving a talk titled "Create Your Own Anime" at FanimeCon in San Jose on Saturday, May 23rd! The talk will be between 2pm-3pm in the Marriott, either Salons IV, V, & VI. He'll be showing off some of his NG animations and giving a crash course on screenwriting, storyboarding, Flash and Newgrounds itself as a venue for animators.

RubberNinja posted footage from the Australia NG meetup this past weekend! Master-Samus is quite the acrobat, it's pretty impressive.

Be sure to check out my post about rev share if you haven't! We are now giving the community a cut of the ad revenue they generate with their pages on NG. Here comes a compromise though; I've decided to suspend the monthly prize money for the ten best submissions. Winners will receive an award certificate and store credit, with our goal being for the rev share system to ultimately generate more earnings than the existing prizes. This decision is one part recession-era adjustment and one part strategic, with the long-term goal of shifting as much NG revenue into the rev share system as possible.

On the plus side, maybe this will ease some tension over the monthly winners, since no one will feel like they are getting cheated out of prize money and everyone is earning based on their individual performance. Like how I put this kinda bad news under lots of good news? Anyway...

We will still have Pico Day prizes, and the pre-loader is coming! Pico Day is April 30th.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Lots of News Bits 2009-04-21 15:15:04

Can't wait for Pico day, mang.

i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i

oh no I am choking on a million dicks

BBS Signature

Response to Lots of News Bits 2009-04-21 15:16:48

Pico Day is going to rock.

Response to Lots of News Bits 2009-04-21 15:18:14

i wonder how people will react to the "no more monthly monies" thing :S

i don't see it as much of a big deal, myself, but i can't speak for everyone. \:

snyggys

Response to Lots of News Bits 2009-04-21 15:19:31

Interesting stuff, can't wait for Pico day.
Also, tell Luis to give away a few more pink castle crashers, I really want one. Pwease?

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

BBS Signature

Response to Lots of News Bits 2009-04-21 15:22:31

OMG GET THAT GUYS BACK ALREADY!

We are beating 4chan my friends!

Response to Lots of News Bits 2009-04-21 15:23:05

Good idea with the cash prizes! I love the rev share system!

I think this is one of the best months yet Newgrounds wise, so much going on.
Will there still be prizes for competitions? Like Christmas, Halloween etc?

-Matt

Response to Lots of News Bits 2009-04-21 15:23:57

Oh yeah, I have a question Tom. Is there a way to disable revenue sharing? I thought about it and the artists should get the cash instead of me. Even if it's just a cent or two.

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

BBS Signature

Response to Lots of News Bits 2009-04-21 15:23:52

That Scott guy is a chicken shit. The last time I checked, "Rapist" had 15,000 votes. If you're going to pick and choose, that really defeats the point of letting everyone on the internet decide.

I used to be relevant.

Response to Lots of News Bits 2009-04-21 15:24:02

If I were 18 and there was a meet up close to Northern VA, I'd do it.

Want to play something or just chat? Click here. For all the daily shit that happens in my life, click here.

Achievement Whore Status: 47th place as of 05/18/09

BBS Signature

Response to Lots of News Bits 2009-04-21 15:25:04

Voted for Newgrounds on the back of this poor fella. Also, I think the "compromise" is fair.

BBS Signature

Response to Lots of News Bits 2009-04-21 15:26:51

i signed in on 3 different emails to vote

BBS Signature

Response to Lots of News Bits 2009-04-21 15:27:21

It's probably best that you've changed the way money is given out (although I'd hate to be one of the guys who got a monthly award just after you had stopped giving the prize money) this system seems fairer in many respects.

I have one question though: with this new "revenue share" system, is there any advantage to putting flash-ads on your submission as well?

Response to Lots of News Bits 2009-04-21 15:28:46

At 4/21/09 03:27 PM, JTricks wrote: It's probably best that you've changed the way money is given out (although I'd hate to be one of the guys who got a monthly award just after you had stopped giving the prize money) this system seems fairer in many respects.

Yeah, I had a question about that. Is this retroactive? I mean, I won an award last month, and I was looking forward to paying rent on time for once.

I used to be relevant.

Response to Lots of News Bits 2009-04-21 15:30:57

Lol its been 5 mins and its gone up like 20 votes lol.

Go Tom getting this thing going! How many members are there anyway? Image if the whole of NG was to vote...

Im just ashamed at some of these retards still...

Lots of News Bits

Response to Lots of News Bits 2009-04-21 15:32:00

Monthly money cuts pisses me off but it doesn't affect me since I'll never make a flash that deserves a top 10.

Sad that those guys don't get their money, I'd prefer cutting rev share than giving up monthly earnings.

Oh well, whats done is done. Give us some info on that baby Tom.

For my next trick, I will need a condom and a volunteer.

BBS Signature

Response to Lots of News Bits 2009-04-21 15:32:45

At 4/21/09 03:14 PM, TomFulp wrote: Check out A Bid For Freedom for a neat example of what happens when various skill sets from NG come together. It combines great writing, art and vocal talent into an interactive storybook.

Hey! These guys totally stole my audiobook idea and did it ten times better, hahah. I was going to market it as as a result from all the portals coming together as well! Silly NG, one step ahead. ;)

That kind of interactive flash is an amazing idea though. I can see some sort of standard NG audiobook format, with things being ported in from the Writer's Portal... interesting times!

Self-published fiction: Mostly Lies

Response to Lots of News Bits 2009-04-21 15:33:01

OH THATS JUST GREAT. :/

Lol the one month I actually have a chance at winning some sort of monthly prize money is the montht eh monthly prize money is suspended! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Well at least we still get store credit lol. I ho I get enough to buy myself some more T-shirts. ;)

Thanks tom for the update! AND COME ONE WE NEED THOSE PRELOADERS! :O

Response to Lots of News Bits 2009-04-21 15:33:13

Boo, I've still never won a monthly prize, I'm always in the runner ups :(

BBS Signature

Response to Lots of News Bits 2009-04-21 15:34:40

Can we expect Pico 2 this year?

Probably not.

Response to Lots of News Bits 2009-04-21 15:37:21

awesome updates, but get the chat running already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome turret game in the making, featuring 85 uniqe turrets: News post

BBS Signature

Response to Lots of News Bits 2009-04-21 15:38:09

Woo! Pico Day! Happy (almost) birthday Tom!

BBS Signature

Response to Lots of News Bits 2009-04-21 15:39:44

Aw, no monies? Oh well. Guess I should start learning flash :P

____________________________Bel-Air remixes! You must listen!____________________________

BBS Signature

Response to Lots of News Bits 2009-04-21 15:44:05

At 4/21/09 03:28 PM, scottmale24 wrote: Yeah, I had a question about that. Is this retroactive? I mean, I won an award last month, and I was looking forward to paying rent on time for once.

Yeah, the winners for last month are still getting payments!

BBS Signature

Response to Lots of News Bits 2009-04-21 15:45:13

At 4/21/09 03:34 PM, physco-pickle wrote: Can we expect Pico 2 this year?

Probably not.

we would have to beg and kiss tom's ass to make him make pico 2.

cherry garcia: its like having an angel cum in your mouth

BBS Signature

Response to Lots of News Bits 2009-04-21 15:47:03

At 4/21/09 03:27 PM, JTricks wrote: I have one question though: with this new "revenue share" system, is there any advantage to putting flash-ads on your submission as well?

Yeah, it's still worth it, especially if you think your Flash will get a lot of views and spread to other sites. On NG the Flash Ad will make you additional ad revenue, but if your Flash spreads to other sites, you'll keep getting paid for all the views it gets on other sites as well. It generally works out best for all games and really popular movies.

BBS Signature

Response to Lots of News Bits 2009-04-21 15:48:47

At 4/21/09 03:47 PM, TomFulp wrote: ...but if your Flash spreads to other sites, you'll keep getting paid for all the views it gets on other sites as well. It generally works out best for all games and really popular movies.

How will I spend my animations across other site? Is it the same for audio?

BBS Signature

Response to Lots of News Bits 2009-04-21 15:49:19

Sounds pretty neat; the store credit prizes. I would like to spend the money I earned from Newgrounds back on the site anyway. Well, not all of it probably. But quite a bit anyway!
Great to see how Newgrounds keeps climbing higher in those charts. I really hope this guy is getting the tattoo.

BBS Signature

Response to Lots of News Bits 2009-04-21 15:50:09

At 4/21/09 03:47 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 4/21/09 03:27 PM, JTricks wrote: I have one question though: with this new "revenue share" system, is there any advantage to putting flash-ads on your submission as well?
Yeah, it's still worth it, especially if you think your Flash will get a lot of views and spread to other sites. On NG the Flash Ad will make you additional ad revenue, but if your Flash spreads to other sites, you'll keep getting paid for all the views it gets on other sites as well. It generally works out best for all games and really popular movies.

Wait, isn't that like stealing if they dont ask to put the game on another site though?

Oh, and how much moneys are people making from these ad things? All the topic are getting locked etc but I want to know.

Response to Lots of News Bits 2009-04-21 15:51:04

4chan doesn't seem to be trying very hard to sabotage the votes this time.

BBS Signature