00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Zpredojev just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Extreme Load Issues...

5,469 Views | 49 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Extreme Load Issues... 2004-01-11 16:42:34

We are working hard to diagnose our extreme load errors, and it is possible some changes we make today will fix them. I can't promise anything, though.

Our current hardware should be able to handle the load - it is software tweaking and configuration that is giving us a tough time.

In other news... A lot of users have been confused about the Portal top 50 list. Basically, whenever a new submission reaches 200 votes, it vanishes from the list. This is because we are making a huge effort to get EVERY submission past the 200 vote mark, before we cross over to a new 200 vote judgement threshold.

Achieving 200 votes doesn't take long, but we have over 7,000 OLD submissions that never made it that far. We are trying to bring these old submissions up-to-date. This is why we have prepared the UNDER 200 VOTES list that we have been pushing so hard. If everyone works together, we can knock this list out in a short amount of time.

We have also added the "top 5 most recent" list on the frontpage. These are new submissions that have passed judgement. While they may vanish from the Portal list, they will get plenty of traffic here on the frontpage.

Once we clear out the UNDER 200 VOTES list, the system will return to normal and new submissions will stay on the top 50 until 50 new submissions knock them down.

I know the extreme load errors have been making it hard to chip away at the list... Let's all hope this problem can be resolved soon!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Extreme Load Issues... 2004-01-11 16:49:59

wont you still want eveything to get 200 votes? i mean wont there be a problem with movies with not enough votes still or?

don't be trash people

Response to Extreme Load Issues... 2004-01-11 16:50:33

Sounds good Tom, hope you fix the errors, im getting too many of them.
I WAS TO POST FIRST DAMN IT!

Response to Extreme Load Issues... 2004-01-11 16:51:35

Well, the extreme load issue is on the rise and many users are goin nuts. Its been quite active for awile and the sever is busy. Also with the 200 vote thing, its a good idea to have all 200 votes things be pushed out so others vote on lower voted movies. I had this idea though, why not have like a color key for how much votes the movies have. So like 130 votes it can be green. Just a temp thing to help this voting thing out. I think it would help out and also encourage others to vote and help ng out.

Like pears in rain.

Response to Extreme Load Issues... 2004-01-11 16:53:51

At 1/11/04 04:42 PM, TomFulp wrote: We are working hard to diagnose our extreme load errors, and it is possible some changes we make today will fix them. I can't promise anything, though.

Our current hardware should be able to handle the load - it is software tweaking and configuration that is giving us a tough time.

In other news... A lot of users have been confused about the Portal top 50 list. Basically, whenever a new submission reaches 200 votes, it vanishes from the list. This is because we are making a huge effort to get EVERY submission past the 200 vote mark, before we cross over to a new 200 vote judgement threshold.

I hope it ends soon =\
:Until we clear out the UNDER 200 VOTES list, the system will return to normal and new submissions will stay on the top 50 until 50 new submissions knock them down.
This might be a stupid question to ask, but will they get knocked down only after 50 new submissions, or 200 votes (or both)?

Also I love this picture :P but poor bear

Extreme Load Issues...

Response to Extreme Load Issues... 2004-01-11 16:56:16

The ones that "vanish", do they get put back n the portal after a while? It would be slightly unfair to just remove them from the portal and not put them back in dispite the fact that they get on the front page after passing judgment.
The number of votes needed is decreasing for that list, about 15,000 a day I think.

Response to Extreme Load Issues... 2004-01-11 16:58:37

Tom, if you and your crew can get rid of those pesky error messages and extreme load crap then rest assured that we'll vote away on those -200 submissions until there's none left.

Response to Extreme Load Issues... 2004-01-11 17:02:25

Oh yea, and Ill keep voteing on the -200 movies. Lets get rid of the list so we can talk about something else.
:|

Response to Extreme Load Issues... 2004-01-11 17:05:59

At 1/11/04 04:58 PM, swallowing_shit wrote: Tom, if you and your crew can get rid of those pesky error messages and extreme load crap then rest assured that we'll vote away on those -200 submissions until there's none left.

Seconded. Those error messages are really pissing me off. I only just managed to log in. For the past TWO HOURS I've been trying to login, BUT EVERY TIME I'VE BEEN TOLD THAT THE SERVER IS UNDER EXTREME LOAD. Ok, rant over. Not your fault I know. PS its good to be back after my ban.

Response to Extreme Load Issues... 2004-01-11 17:18:19

This has nothing to do with what you said but I want to state a suggestion:

Lately, there have been a lot of tutorials that have been submitted to newgrounds. I think you should start a tutorial section where it has all of the good tutorials.

Response to Extreme Load Issues... 2004-01-11 17:19:59

At 1/11/04 05:05 PM, one_crazy_lemming wrote:
At 1/11/04 04:58 PM, swallowing_shit wrote: Tom, if you and your crew can get rid of those pesky error messages and extreme load crap then rest assured that we'll vote away on those -200 submissions until there's none left.
Seconded.

Thirded!

Response to Extreme Load Issues... 2004-01-11 17:32:29

Tom, wouldn't it be possible to try and shift some of the work from the server onto the client? Such as writing variables to the page? I know little of php but I'm pretty sure I know what I mean when I say you should make the client write more using javascript using the variables passed onto the page, or would they already be unloaded by the time they reach the client's browser?

Response to Extreme Load Issues... 2004-01-11 17:33:59

I really hope you fix those problems soon 'cause I'm really sick of them.

Please subscribe

"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"

.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature

Response to Extreme Load Issues... 2004-01-11 17:42:06

I'll go and work on the under 200 votes section some more now. Hope you fix the software errors soon.

Response to Extreme Load Issues... 2004-01-11 17:49:01

hey tom io have been doin my part i have doen a good 100 or so entires long work lol but fear not i will not stop until that judgement is passed

Response to Extreme Load Issues... 2004-01-11 17:51:52

If I find an entry during a search, and it reads in the search "Under Judgement", does that mean it's on the 200 vote list somewhere?

BBS Signature

Response to Extreme Load Issues... 2004-01-11 17:57:25

just a quick question, are the Extreme Load errors at all related to the errors you get in the BBS?
Because i gave up on NG for a couple of hours yesterday refreshing the C&C page 114 times every time getting an error....

Oh. Your. God.

BBS Signature

Response to Extreme Load Issues... 2004-01-11 17:57:48

every other page is an error. no matter what it is. i hope fixing it goes smooth.

Response to Extreme Load Issues... 2004-01-11 18:21:26

At 1/11/04 05:57 PM, ReD-VII wrote: every other page is an error. no matter what it is. i hope fixing it goes smooth.

I don't know about you guys but for me ...
Everything is sooo smooth ! I haven't ever seen NG so smooth at night time (here in Europe).
It's perfect !
Did you guys touch something or stuff ??

I play lottery. I always lose.

LOOK at my CAR VIDEOS on YouTUBE !!

BBS Signature

Response to Extreme Load Issues... 2004-01-11 18:26:07

I just took a look at a random page on the 200 list and found this little treat http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view.php?id=48007 Its pretty interesting how its done, and i think it would of become a really succesful concept if who-ever made it carried it on! woohoo go ascii!

Response to Extreme Load Issues... 2004-01-11 18:27:33

Tom, I am with everyone else... I'll vote much more if the errors get fixed... even though my lil' dial-up can't handle much.

But just since a couple of hours ago, any new submissions that I try to vote on, I open the movie, but in the lower left corner of the page, it has the paper with a yellow triangle with an ! in it, and says Error on page. The movie plays fine, but the vote panel will not appear like it's supposed to after I've loaded the movie. Arg... and I think I'm close to the rank above safety patrol... lol :(

Response to Extreme Load Issues... 2004-01-11 18:49:27

it'll be glad to get both the 200 votes and the constant errors out of the way. i have had a few problems with the extreme load, but it really doesn;t bother me all that much.

Now You Have To Wash The Floor And Do All Of My Laundry!!!!

Response to Extreme Load Issues... 2004-01-11 18:55:06

grrrr those get annoying yesterday i couldnt even log on to my account im glad its gettting solved it just hasnt seemed like newgrounds when you cant watch a movie or play games

Response to Extreme Load Issues... 2004-01-11 19:11:44

yeah i've had to click on something 10 times for it to work sometimes

Response to Extreme Load Issues... 2004-01-11 19:22:54

I knew that had something to do with the extreme load crap! So we gotta vote on those submissions to make this go away, or Im gonna break my computer next time I see that god damn extreme load error!

Response to Extreme Load Issues... 2004-01-11 19:30:33

i figured out a way to get passed the extreme loading errors, just keep refreshing the page untill it loads correctly. i dont know if it will work for you, but it works for me. try it and see if it works!

Response to Extreme Load Issues... 2004-01-11 19:50:20

yall are pressing that really hard. i have done more than my part.:(...and i might do a little more. but once it gets in the 90s, it should bot be near as hard.

Response to Extreme Load Issues... 2004-01-11 20:02:38

IDEA: You know that list under "Tell your friends" that comes up on the screen after you vote (portal homepage, random, return..) ? Maybe you should add a link to randomly view one of these under 200 submissions. And maybe make a short mesage about that situation.

Response to Extreme Load Issues... 2004-01-11 21:05:52

if this constant front page posting of the 200 list keeps up i know this list will be completed soon! im going to go vote right now!!

Every once in very great while comes a ridiculously funny thread. So funny in fact i must put it into my sig http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic /1049194/1

Response to Extreme Load Issues... 2004-01-11 21:08:25

ya i noticed that it was getting really slow lately. I hope you guys can fix it.