Be a Supporter!
Leidolfr
Leidolfr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Gaelic Nation 2009-04-17 05:04:22 Reply

This group is for anyone who speaks Irish, wants to speak Irish, is from Ireland, is interested in Ireland and so on. This group is for anyone with any interest in Ireland at all, and as such group topics will cover Ireland on the whole, including, Language, History, Mythology, Beliefs/Traditions, and anything else.

RULES:
1.) No Spamming
2.) No Repeat Posts
3.) No General Bashing
4.) No Links/Videos to Sites of Unrelated Topic

If anyone joins this group [enough for me to manage] I'll come up with a ranking system of some kind for members to determine where they stand, based on Knowledge/Contribution and overall time in the group.

Leidolfr
Leidolfr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Gaelic Nation 2009-04-17 05:16:22 Reply

ok I already have an idea for a ranking system [unless someone does better]

Gaelic Nation

Leidolfr
Leidolfr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Gaelic Nation 2009-04-17 05:44:10 Reply

Heres a small list of words, in english, then irish, then how to pronounce the Irish.

English Irish Phonetic 1. Greetings

Good Day--Dia duit! [djiah gwich]

Good Morning--Dia duit ar maidin [djiah gwich air mahdjeen]
--reply- Dia is Muire duit. [djiahs murrah gwich]

2. Naming People

What is your name?-- Cad is ainm duit? [cahd iss anim ditch?]

--reply-- is my name ------is ainm dom. ---- iss anim dyum

Dennis is my name Donnacadh is ainm dom. Don-nikah iss anim dyum

Mary is my name Maire is ainm dom. Moirah iss anim dyum

3. Pleasantries

How are you? Conas tá; tú? co-nas tah tu

I'm well...or Tá mé go maith tah may go mah or

I'm well Táim go maith. tah-im go mah

I'm not good. Níl mé go maith. neel may go mah

I'm ...... Tá me.... tah may...

wonderful Tá mé go hiontach. tah-may go hee-un-tachk

fine Tá mé go breá. tah-may go brah

bad Tá mé go dona tah-may go doe-nah

medium Tá mé go measartha. tah-may go mas-ser-ah

drunk Tá mé ar meisce. tah-may air meeish-kah

very drunk Tá mé ólta. tah-may ole-tah

mad (crazy or angry) Tá mé ar buille. tah-may air bu-ill-yah

tired Tá mé tuirseach. tah-may ter-shock

4. Parting

Good bye Slán shlahn

--reply Slán leat shlahn lyaht

Goodbye for now Slán go fóill shlahn goh foihll

[taken from http://english.glendale.cc.ca.us/gaelic.
html
]

Leidolfr
Leidolfr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Gaelic Nation 2009-04-17 07:02:41 Reply

ok, so here is the ranking system as it stands [Highest to Lowest]

1.) Maor-Sáirsint [Sergeant major]

2.) Ceathrúsháirsint [Quartermaster Sergeant ]

3.) Sáirsint-Complachta [ Company Sergeant ]

4.) Ceathrúsháirsint-Complacht [ Company Quartermaster Sergeant ]

5.) Sáirsint [ Sergeant ]

6.) Ceannaire [ Corporal ]

7.) Saighdiúr 3 [ Private 3 ]

8.) Saighdiúr 2 [ Private 2 ]

9.) Saighdiúr 1 [ Private 1 ]

Upon being accepted, you wil automatically enter the rank of Saighdiúr 1

Centurion-Ryan
Centurion-Ryan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Gaelic Nation 2009-04-17 09:02:41 Reply

At 4/17/09 05:04 AM, Leidolfr wrote: wants to speak Irish, is from Ireland, is interested in Ireland

Ding ding.

That's me, alright.

My PSN: Obilisk745
"Remember, licking doorknobs is illegal on other planets."
Add me on Steam! :D

BBS Signature
SeaBoundRhino
SeaBoundRhino
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Gaelic Nation 2009-04-17 12:49:04 Reply

I'll join. I'm from Ireland and I speak some Irish. It's pretty basic, but I really want to improve.

EmmDubya
EmmDubya
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Audiophile
Response to Gaelic Nation 2009-04-17 12:54:15 Reply

Although I live in England, by blood I'm just as much Irish as English and I'm interested in Irish culture. I'll probably pop into here every now and then, but I probably won't be in here very often, so there's not much chance that I'll be one of the more active members.

Formerly known as mwmike | I'm moderately active on last.fm | Before you post, read these. Please.

BBS Signature
Leidolfr
Leidolfr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Gaelic Nation 2009-04-17 19:35:29 Reply

Ok, so as of now, Centurion-Ryan, and SeaBoundRhino, are both Saighdiúr 1's [Feel free to add that to your signature, [Saighdiúr 1 of the Gaelic Nation]]

and as for mwmike, if you want to join you can, you can also add Saighdiúr 1 to ya signature if ya want, you just wont get promoted if you dont post much, but ya more than welcome as a member. im thinking it will take awhile, but we'll get more members and it might even be interesting

Leidolfr
Leidolfr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Gaelic Nation 2009-04-17 19:44:54 Reply

At 4/17/09 12:49 PM, SeaBoundRhino wrote: I'll join. I'm from Ireland and I speak some Irish. It's pretty basic, but I really want to improve.

Well thats what this is all about. I only speak basic Gaelic, and of that, its motly spoken, I can read, but I cant spell [if that makes any sense] but anything I post here will be accurate because ill confirm it before I post

So mostly to get this started, id like to know what you know, and or, if you have some specific things youd like to know...or vice versa, anything you think we all should know. Im guessing the first few posts will mostly be information texts [Like the basic Gaelic post I have]

and that goes for the other two members too, anything you know, we want to know, thats what this is all about

Zenan
Zenan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Gaelic Nation 2009-04-17 20:14:13 Reply

Brilliant club!
The closest I am to being Irish is that my great grandparents were Irish (might have just been my great grandfather though).
I am still Interested in the country though and most things Ireland.
I'm very much into my celtic music, it's all over my playlists and in my opinion there's no better music than a tin whistle, guitar and a drum!
I'd love to go to Ireland some day, travel through the hills and lochs, stay in a small cottage and just be tranquil. The closest thing I ever got to that was staying on an Island called Eilean Shona in west Scotland though, but I'm determined to take many trips to Ireland in my lifetime, track down some of my family over there as well as the majority of the people with my surname are living in Ireland.
Anyway, I'd love to join!

NeonFlame126
NeonFlame126
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Blank Slate
Response to Gaelic Nation 2009-04-17 20:21:48 Reply

I'm sorry, what?

You can't spell FÜHRER without Ü
"You know you fail in life when you fail to end your failure"

Leidolfr
Leidolfr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Gaelic Nation 2009-04-17 21:00:38 Reply

At 4/17/09 08:21 PM, NeonFlame126 wrote: I'm sorry, what?

This covers only Ireland, not all the celtic nations, and it also focuses on language and mythology as well as general things, somthing the link you put is missing.

NeonFlame126
NeonFlame126
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Blank Slate
Response to Gaelic Nation 2009-04-17 21:02:21 Reply

At 4/17/09 09:00 PM, Leidolfr wrote:
This covers only Ireland, not all the celtic nations, and it also focuses on language and mythology as well as general things, somthing the link you put is missing.

The only thing that's missing is a lock on this thread. A club was already made that covers and talks about Ireland, rendering this thread useless.

You can't spell FÜHRER without Ü
"You know you fail in life when you fail to end your failure"

Leidolfr
Leidolfr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Gaelic Nation 2009-04-17 21:02:45 Reply

At 4/17/09 08:14 PM, Zenan wrote: Brilliant club!

:the majority of the people with my surname are living in Ireland.

Anyway, I'd love to join!

Sure, you're in, you're now Saighdiúr 1 [Promotions come once I know you are a repeat poster and you contribute somthing worthwhile]

Leidolfr
Leidolfr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Gaelic Nation 2009-04-17 21:04:30 Reply

At 4/17/09 09:02 PM, NeonFlame126 wrote:
At 4/17/09 09:00 PM, Leidolfr wrote:
The only thing that's missing is a lock on this thread. A club was already made that covers and talks about Ireland, rendering this thread useless.

The thread you linked has nothing about linguistics, which is one of the main focuses of this group, so I disagree.

Leidolfr
Leidolfr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Gaelic Nation 2009-04-17 21:08:22 Reply

At 4/17/09 09:04 PM, Leidolfr wrote: The thread you linked has nothing about linguistics, which is one of the main focuses of this group, so I disagree.

[it says on the link page that its about languages as well, but i dont see a word of Gaelic there, besides a few two word phrases that everyone knows

Leidolfr
Leidolfr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Gaelic Nation 2009-04-18 06:00:14 Reply

A Brief summary of Gaelic [Gaeilge (Gwail-gah)]

-Roughly 3% of Ireland [4,422,100 in 2008] Say they speak Gaelic in their homes.

- of these speakers, most come from the Gaeltacht regions.

- however, 41.9% of Ireland [Age three and over] regard themselves as fluent Gaelic speakers.

- Untill the 1700's Scottish Gaelic and Irish Gaelic were the same written.

- [Taken from wikipedia.org] "In the Caighdeán Oifigiúil (the official written standard) the name of the language is Gaeilge (Irish pronunciation: [%u02C8%u0261e%u02D0l%u02B2%u025F%u0259]
), which reflects the southern Connacht pronunciation.

Before the spelling reform of 1948, this form was spelled Gaedhilge; originally this was the genitive of Gaedhealg, the form used in classical Modern Irish.[12] Older spellings of this include Gaoidhealg in Middle Irish and Goídelc in Old Irish. The modern spelling results from the deletion of the silent dh in the middle of Gaedhilge.

Other forms of the name found in the various modern Irish dialects, in addition to south Connacht Gaeilge mentioned above, include Gaedhilic/Gaeilic/Gaeilig ([%u02C8%u0261e%u02D0l%u02B2%u026Ac]) or Gaedhlag ([%u02C8%u0261e%u02D0l%u032A%u02E0%u0259 %u0261]) in Ulster Irish and northern Connacht Irish and Gaedhealaing/Gaoluinn/Gaelainn ([%u02C8%u0261%u02E0e%u02D0l%u032A%u02E0 %u026A%u014B/%u02C8%u0261%u02E0e%u02D0l%
u032A%u02E0%u026An])[13][14] in Munster Irish."

Centurion-Ryan
Centurion-Ryan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Gaelic Nation 2009-04-18 06:01:18 Reply

At 4/17/09 07:35 PM, Leidolfr wrote: Saighdiúr

I feel special because I know what that means without having to look it up.

I'm from the North, so you can understand if my skill in Irish is lacking somewhat.

With all the ignorant racism, and shit.

BBS Signature
Leidolfr
Leidolfr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Gaelic Nation 2009-04-18 06:06:31 Reply

At 4/18/09 06:01 AM, Centurion-Ryan wrote:

I'm from the North, so you can understand if my skill in Irish is lacking somewhat.

Yeah, youre from County Atrim right? my Irish family was from Limerick, so, nowhere near you, heh.

but yeah im glad ya learned somthing already. and yeah the hardest part of irish is the spelling, the actually pronounciations and grammar are pretty easy [especially if ya really from ireland] an example... ríomhaire means computer, but its said Reev-rah. however once you get the few spelling rules, its not as hard as it seems, and like i said, spoken its so easy

Leidolfr
Leidolfr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Gaelic Nation 2009-04-18 06:08:26 Reply

oh and i said this before like yesterday, but, feel free to put your rank in your signature, and link it to this group, it'll help us get more members.

if you dont know how to link up your signature, ask here and I'll explain it

Centurion-Ryan
Centurion-Ryan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Gaelic Nation 2009-04-18 06:26:42 Reply

At 4/18/09 06:06 AM, Leidolfr wrote:
At 4/18/09 06:01 AM, Centurion-Ryan wrote:

Yeah, youre from County Antrim right? my Irish family was from Limerick, so, nowhere near you, heh.

Yeah, I'm from Antrim.

*insert Limerick is a violent shithole joke here*

but yeah im glad ya learned somthing already. and yeah the hardest part of irish is the spelling, the actually pronounciations and grammar are pretty easy [especially if ya really from ireland] an example... ríomhaire means computer, but its said Reev-rah. however once you get the few spelling rules, its not as hard as it seems, and like i said, spoken its so easy

Pronunciation wise, I pretty much just wing it.

I know all the weird pronunciation rules like 'bh' and 'mh' and 'gh' and all.

Once, my RE teacher was talking about St. Patrick, and pronounced sabhall like it was spelt. That really annoyed me.

But yeah, if I'm reading something in Irish, I can pronounce it, even if I have no idea what it means.

BBS Signature
Leidolfr
Leidolfr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Gaelic Nation 2009-04-18 06:50:27 Reply

At 4/18/09 06:26 AM, Centurion-Ryan wrote: But yeah, if I'm reading something in Irish, I can pronounce it, even if I have no idea what it means.

Im the oposite, Ill see a sentance written, and somtimes ill have no clue, then if you say that sentance ill be like, oh yeah, it is a nice day isnt it, lol

the main problem with the spelling issue is gaelic wasnt originaly spelled with roman text, obviously, it was a tick form of writing, kinda like sumarian but more mathematical, the never really had "letters" so to say, they did but you know what i mean. so spelling it in a roman text, well...thats what ya got

EmmDubya
EmmDubya
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Audiophile
Response to Gaelic Nation 2009-04-18 06:51:45 Reply

At 4/18/09 06:06 AM, Leidolfr wrote: my Irish family was from Limerick, so, nowhere near you, heh.

My Irish family are partly from Limerick. They're spread across the country, but most of them are in either Limerick (my grandfather's side, mainly) or Tipperary (mainly my grandmother's side).

Formerly known as mwmike | I'm moderately active on last.fm | Before you post, read these. Please.

BBS Signature
Leidolfr
Leidolfr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Gaelic Nation 2009-04-18 06:56:19 Reply

this is the writting system i was talking about

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogham

Gaelic Nation

Leidolfr
Leidolfr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Gaelic Nation 2009-04-18 06:57:59 Reply

At 4/18/09 06:51 AM, mwmike wrote:
At 4/18/09 06:06 AM, Leidolfr wrote: my Irish family was from Limerick, so, nowhere near you, heh.
My Irish family are partly from Limerick. They're spread across the country, but most of them are in either Limerick (my grandfather's side, mainly) or Tipperary (mainly my grandmother's side).

Yeah mine are from, to be more accurate probably, Limerick, Cork, and Kerry, all the same area though. and yeah, Limerick was one of the first viking forts in Ireland

EmmDubya
EmmDubya
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Audiophile
Response to Gaelic Nation 2009-04-18 10:49:48 Reply

At 4/18/09 06:57 AM, Leidolfr wrote: Yeah mine are from, to be more accurate probably, Limerick, Cork, and Kerry.

I've never been in Cork, but I absolutely love Kerry. None of my family (that I know of) are from there, but there's a great atmosphere around the county and it's a good place to go to after you've been busy travelling around to since it feels so relaxing.

BBS Signature
Leidolfr
Leidolfr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Gaelic Nation 2009-04-18 20:31:57 Reply

At 4/18/09 10:49 AM, mwmike wrote:
At 4/18/09 06:57 AM, Leidolfr wrote: Yeah mine are from, to be more accurate probably, Limerick, Cork, and Kerry.
I've never been in Cork, but I absolutely love Kerry. None of my family (that I know of) are from there, but there's a great atmosphere around the county and it's a good place to go to after you've been busy travelling around to since it feels so relaxing.

Yeah, Ive never been to Ireland, the only place ive been [outside the u.s] is French Canada....yup...

Leidolfr
Leidolfr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Gaelic Nation 2009-04-19 22:04:02 Reply

ok, so ive mentioned im bad a reading Gaelic, so i was brushing up on some of the rules, and thought id post some of the basics along with the site.

bh (broad) = w

bh (slender) = v

ch (broad) = ch as in German "Bach", Scottish "loch"

ch (slender) = ch as in German "ich", or h

dh (broad) = gh as the g in Spanish "abogado" or Greek "avgolemono" (this is the voiced equivalent of the "ch" in "Bach"); usually silent except at beginning of words; see a textbook on this!

dh (slender) = y

fh (broad) = silent

fh (slender) = silent

gh (broad) = same as broad dh

gh (slender) = y

mh (broad) = w

mh (slender) = v

ph (broad) = fw

ph (slender) = fy

sh (broad) = h

sh (slender) = h

th (broad) = h

th (slender) = h

[ Taken from http://www.smo.uhi.ac.uk/gaeilge/donncha /focal/features/irishsp.html ]

Leidolfr
Leidolfr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Gaelic Nation 2009-04-23 04:07:51 Reply

ok, I just got unbanned a little while ago, so im gonna start the posts going again here [since its totally dead]

I found a site that has, a slew of languages, but the gaelic one, they have probably 5 games to learn gaelic, and you know, word banks and stuff

I took one of the tests/games, without looking at the wordbank in the begining, and I got 33/33

so hopefully someone goes here, and takes a test or two

Digital Dialects Site

ThheJoe
ThheJoe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Gaelic Nation 2009-05-03 20:10:23 Reply

Hi, I'm American, but most of my family still lives in Tyrone. Just started learning Gaelic a few months ago so I'm not at all fluent yet but hope to get better!