• Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 30
Melancholy
Response to Rev Share and RSS Apr. 16th, 2009 @ 03:12 AM Reply

At 4/16/09 02:50 AM, irashii wrote:
Everything by everyone indeed.

NG reminds me of Tom's vision of NG Haus more everyday, except we're not all in one big house doing our thing, we're all in front of our computers in our underwear. The sense of unity is definitely here now. I can't wait to see what happens next! It's definitely cool being here to see it all finally come together.

c̴a̶s̴t̷

BBS Signature
ZekeySpaceyLizard
ZekeySpaceyLizard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Rev Share and RSS Apr. 16th, 2009 @ 03:26 AM Reply

At 4/16/09 03:12 AM, cast wrote: all in front of our computers in our underwear.

not me.
i animate purely in the nude.
with my genitals flopping wildly in the spring air

mariomusicmaker1
mariomusicmaker1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Rev Share and RSS Apr. 16th, 2009 @ 03:34 AM Reply

Oh wow, a Flash that has my audio used in it has appeared in my ad earnings. it made money, but my share is 0. is this because it hasnt made enough to share any of it with me, or is there a setting the flash auther used to not share any thing with me?

I Stopped A Rape!!!
" If music is an art, let your car be the canvas, "

BBS Signature
Esn
Esn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to Rev Share and RSS Apr. 16th, 2009 @ 03:53 AM Reply

Re: RSS feeds

About damn time!!! I still wish that Newgrounds had a customizable subscription system like DeviantArt and Youtube and most other websites. But RSS is the next best thing.

Regarding ads, I really like the Project Wonderful ads myself:
http://www.projectwonderful.com/

It's run by Ryan North, creator of Dinosaur Comics. Unlike all the other internet advertising systems, it's based on time rather than clicks, and features an open bidding system.

I think things could be made rather interesting if you allowed Project Wonderful ads for individual film pages, which would allow individual advertisers (which would include other artists, as well) to pick and choose the audience they want, and I think drive up the overall revenue for both users and Newgrounds (of course, Newgrounds would take a share of the revenue).

Esn
Esn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to Rev Share and RSS Apr. 16th, 2009 @ 04:44 AM Reply

Because the thing going on now is that Newgrounds is "everything by everyone". A huge variety of material is here. And yet your ads are all THEMATICALLY the same across the whole website. They're all advertising MMORPGs and online games.

It's no wonder that 600 visits on someone's personal site can make them so much more ad revenue than 1000s of visits on Newgrounds. Take my own page for example - I'm not a very popular flash or music artist, but if I did decide to ramp up my production, the ads on my pages would be completely irrelevant to my art. Even if I did spend time getting people to come to my NG page, why would anyone who was looking to watch a warm Christmas animation click on an ad for a "Free Giant Mecha RPG"?

Under a Project Wonderful system, people could bid on the ad space, and the winning ads would likely actually be relevant to the page (they could be Christmas-themed, for example), which would mean significantly higher revenue.

Moreover, by having a one-theme-fits-all ad system, you are effectively encouraging the thematic homogenization of Newgrounds content. People who make content that does not generate good revenue for online MMORPG ads will be discouraged when they see that their contribution is little-wanted.

Revenue ad-sharing is a great idea, but it could be a lot more effective than it is now.

wynand
wynand
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Animator
Response to Rev Share and RSS Apr. 16th, 2009 @ 06:32 AM Reply

Blogspot to ng blog rss?
Great i really like the idea of the feeds. Is it possible to rss the blog function, so that say if yo have a blogspot, all your post would apear in your NG blog? that would be fantastic

Newgrounds embed?
These arn't many other sites that enables you to just upload .swf like newgrounds. Would a newgrounds player be possible. to embed swf movies? could bring more people to the site but then again it might loose page add rev. Not sure but i think that would be awsome and could really bring newgrounds into the spotlight =)

Willva Films

BBS Signature
wynand
wynand
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Animator
Response to Rev Share and RSS Apr. 16th, 2009 @ 06:33 AM Reply

Ok... Well, Tom mentioned in his first post that there will be news post rss feeds soon. So it's not a case of it being "would be nice to have", more so a case of "you're gonna have it."

Sorry answerd, though i was being smart geez lol, the embeded player maybe? lol goodjob guys

Willva Films

BBS Signature
KaynSlamdyke
KaynSlamdyke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Melancholy
Response to Rev Share and RSS Apr. 16th, 2009 @ 06:54 AM Reply

At 4/15/09 12:34 PM, TomFulp wrote: On our end, we'll be working to raise your revenue numbers. While PsychoGoldfish was working on the rev share system, Liljim has been overhauling and expanding our RSS feeds. Today we introduced feeds for new Flash and Audio by individual artists...

About time. That YahooPipe I made a while back is falling over itself trying to cut and paste those feeds together...

:)

BBS Signature
Elroy
Elroy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Rev Share and RSS Apr. 16th, 2009 @ 07:01 AM Reply

Tom Fulp for President 2012

BBS Signature
Khris
Khris
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Animator
Response to Rev Share and RSS Apr. 16th, 2009 @ 07:36 AM Reply

At 4/15/09 04:47 PM, Mattster wrote: My self esteem has gone from low, to dangerously high!

<3
I love this new quick view on the account page :)
-Matt

you lucky bastard

Sonucais
Sonucais
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Programmer
Response to Rev Share and RSS Apr. 16th, 2009 @ 07:50 AM Reply

At 4/15/09 09:28 PM, liljim wrote:
At 4/15/09 09:06 PM, Sonucais wrote: Would be really interesting have a RSS for the news actually, really interesting.
News? Explain what you mean, please.

Some kind to get updates with RSS at last when some one we are interested on makes a a New Post. Would be really interesting receive them with a RSS or inside our Newgrounds account somehow in the future.

CogSpin
CogSpin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Rev Share and RSS Apr. 16th, 2009 @ 07:58 AM Reply

I'm amazed at how many views my game Mario Movie Maker 4 is pulling in. Over 100,000 views in April alone, and the game was first released in January! It's still going!!

This thing has spread over the Internet like wildfire. It's insane. Hardly any of the views have actually come from Newgrounds.

cogspin

knuxrouge
knuxrouge
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Rev Share and RSS Apr. 16th, 2009 @ 08:00 AM Reply

I submitted a few of my flashes for review for flash ads, I hope they pass.
This could be a great way to get me some quick cash.
No more dark corners and 10$ Jackhammer for me.

what happened to this place?
Latest Blog: Chaos Sonic Ch 3 Update.

BBS Signature
Evil-Dog
Evil-Dog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Game Developer
Response to Rev Share and RSS Apr. 16th, 2009 @ 08:17 AM Reply

Holy shit Tom, you're the second coming of Christ
Way to go man!

VitaminP
VitaminP
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Rev Share and RSS Apr. 16th, 2009 @ 08:19 AM Reply

At 4/15/09 04:47 PM, Mattster wrote: My self esteem has gone from low, to dangerously high!

Lucky, mines gone from low, to dangerously low!

--------------------[ Mod Type Indicator ] - [ Change Level Icons ] - [ Last Post Link ] - [ Inline Poster ]------------------

BBS Signature
Zerok
Zerok
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Writer
Response to Rev Share and RSS Apr. 16th, 2009 @ 08:31 AM Reply

At 4/16/09 04:44 AM, Esn wrote: Revenue ad-sharing is a great idea, but it could be a lot more effective than it is now.

Hahah, jeez, it's only been out for like 12 hours man!

But seriously, I think your ideas/suggestions are really interesting. Perhaps you could do both though: have a blanket ad on your page that appeals to the primary demographic of NG, as well as a fine tuned ad. That way you scoop up the people who deliberately visit your pages as well as the randoms. Either have two ads, or ads that rotate (like those big billboards with the motorized clacking slats... I'll never get tired of watching those).

Zerok blog: PM me if you like music | My (retired) webcomic: Pizza For Guys

Eggy
Eggy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Game Developer
Response to Rev Share and RSS Apr. 16th, 2009 @ 09:13 AM Reply

Hmm Kongregate is making me about $100 a month on there rev share, wonder how NG will go compared to it.

This is great though, another small stream of income is always delicious.

Maybe this will cover me enough so I can stop beating up kids for small change for milkshakes.

tytytytytyty

LegolaSS
LegolaSS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 53
Artist
Response to Rev Share and RSS Apr. 16th, 2009 @ 09:20 AM Reply

i dont think mine is working properly... its stuck on the 3rd of april and is says im getting around $10 ecpm from one moive?... its it just me?

-LegolaSS

Rev Share and RSS

BBS Signature
Wonchop
Wonchop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Animator
Response to Rev Share and RSS Apr. 16th, 2009 @ 09:39 AM Reply

At 4/16/09 03:11 AM, ZekeySpaceyLizard wrote: i still dont know how rss feeds work and i've been online for ages

Me neither, but apparently you can import it into your Facebook notes.

CogSpin
CogSpin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Rev Share and RSS Apr. 16th, 2009 @ 09:52 AM Reply

At 4/16/09 09:20 AM, LegolaSS wrote: i dont think mine is working properly... its stuck on the 3rd of april and is says im getting around $10 ecpm from one moive?... its it just me?

-LegolaSS

That is insane... My eCPM is only 10 cents... and I have over 400,000 hits.... I could only imagine what I would get with an actual decent eCPM...

cogspin

PsychoGoldfish
PsychoGoldfish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Rev Share and RSS Apr. 16th, 2009 @ 10:04 AM Reply

At 4/16/09 02:34 AM, Z3pp0 wrote: I'd like to know 2 things:

1. I've always avoided putting my personal data on the internetz, like (real) name, address and stuff.
Now, I find myself reconsidering, so:
- Who has access to this information?
- What about the propability of anyone (who knows "me" only through my account and has any hard feelings toward me for some reason *cough*) deliberately trying to access this personal info (through my account)?

If you are smart enough to have a good password and not give said passwrod to anyone else, you should be fine. There's no way for anyone besides NG staff to look at your information, unless they know your login.

2. What about the FAQ?
When on day one I discovered NG and decided to instantly love it, I read through all the FAQ to understand everything and avoid at least the dumbest n00b-mistakes.
Over time, things changed (from revenue share up until today THIS) and the FAQ seemed outdated more and more.
- Any chance all this new (and vital) info gets updated to the FAQ anytime soon?
- If not, what degree of change does it take for the FAQ to be updated (Tom said something about a sitewide overhaul)?

There will be an FAQ for all of this stuff soon.

Arch-Angel likes this sig!

BBS Signature
PsychoGoldfish
PsychoGoldfish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Rev Share and RSS Apr. 16th, 2009 @ 10:04 AM Reply

At 4/16/09 02:53 AM, Pure-Metal-UTA wrote: I think it's amazing.
I got to figuring out how the money thing works now.
One question though.
I have a PO Box. Would I put my Box number into Line 2?
This is an absolutely awesome thing you're doing with the ad rev.
Thanks!

Just use your PO box as yoru street address

BBS Signature
benandben11
benandben11
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Rev Share and RSS Apr. 16th, 2009 @ 10:12 AM Reply

I like how you think of us as a big family. but... we are related to BOTS!!! I don't see the resemblance

stupid pixalated image

BBS Signature
PsychoGoldfish
PsychoGoldfish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Rev Share and RSS Apr. 16th, 2009 @ 10:17 AM Reply

At 4/16/09 09:13 AM, Eggy wrote: Hmm Kongregate is making me about $100 a month on there rev share, wonder how NG will go compared to it.

Jesus... I'm lucky if I get $30 every 3 months if I'm lucky from my submissions on there. Whatever your secret is... try doing the same here!

BBS Signature
PsychoGoldfish
PsychoGoldfish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Rev Share and RSS Apr. 16th, 2009 @ 10:18 AM Reply

At 4/16/09 09:20 AM, LegolaSS wrote: i dont think mine is working properly... its stuck on the 3rd of april and is says im getting around $10 ecpm from one moive?... its it just me?

-LegolaSS

That means you have no stats for any period after the 3rd. Your ecpm isn't really an accurate reflection considering you have very few impressions. Once you get over 1000+ you'll start seeing more accurate rates

BBS Signature
LegolaSS
LegolaSS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 53
Artist
Response to Rev Share and RSS Apr. 16th, 2009 @ 10:32 AM Reply

At 4/16/09 10:18 AM, PsychoGoldfish wrote: That means you have no stats for any period after the 3rd. Your ecpm isn't really an accurate reflection considering you have very few impressions. Once you get over 1000+ you'll start seeing more accurate rates

ah that makes sence... i thought there was something horribly wrong... oh well.. never mind... thank you for making that clear... ciao

-LegolaSS

BBS Signature
Rebbay
Rebbay
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Rev Share and RSS Apr. 16th, 2009 @ 10:35 AM Reply

Does this go for collab efforts too? Do all of the authors get a share?

You conniving, randy, bogus-Oriental old queen! Your record sleeves are better than your songs!

BBS Signature
JackPhantasm
JackPhantasm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Blank Slate
Response to Rev Share and RSS Apr. 16th, 2009 @ 10:35 AM Reply

Do I need to give you the additional 4 digits in my zip code or will the regular six do?

JackPhantasm
JackPhantasm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Blank Slate
Response to Rev Share and RSS Apr. 16th, 2009 @ 10:38 AM Reply

Oh also do I have to set the ads up. That's what it looks like. I only filled out the address thing. I assume that would be on my account preferences somewhere.

I'll look at that later.

KEEP IT UP TOM YOU JUST MIGHT MOTIVATE ME

MOTIVATE ME TO MAKE SOMETHING

AMAZING.

for money

>: D

PsychoGoldfish
PsychoGoldfish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Rev Share and RSS Apr. 16th, 2009 @ 11:07 AM Reply

At 4/16/09 10:38 AM, JackPhantasm wrote: Oh also do I have to set the ads up. That's what it looks like. I only filled out the address thing. I assume that would be on my account preferences somewhere.

I'll look at that later.

KEEP IT UP TOM YOU JUST MIGHT MOTIVATE ME

MOTIVATE ME TO MAKE SOMETHING

AMAZING.

for money
>: D

just the normal zip code is fine.

Once you have an address on file, your revenue sharing is active and the ads already on your flash/audio/user pages will cut you in.

BBS Signature