Joelasticot
Joelasticot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 46
Game Developer
Response to Rev Share and RSS Apr. 15th, 2009 @ 02:33 PM Reply

Tom, soon enough we'll be receiving spam of you... "Tom Fulp is sharing his fortune, click here to claim your part!!"

ey

BBS Signature
bob
bob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Rev Share and RSS Apr. 15th, 2009 @ 02:33 PM Reply

At 4/15/09 02:14 PM, Goonie wrote: That's great news Tom. Now I need a paypal account.

Yippy!

PayPal? We'll send you a cold hard check if that's easier. PayPal is only one option of getting paid.

BBS Signature
cHunter
cHunter
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to Rev Share and RSS Apr. 15th, 2009 @ 02:38 PM Reply

At 4/15/09 02:33 PM, bob wrote: PayPal? We'll send you a cold hard check if that's easier. PayPal is only one option of getting paid.

Can we use it as store credit too?

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Rev Share and RSS Apr. 15th, 2009 @ 02:42 PM Reply

At 4/15/09 02:38 PM, cHunter wrote: Can we use it as store credit too?

Not at the moment but that is something we're considering.

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
WAaAzZAaA
WAaAzZAaA
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Rev Share and RSS Apr. 15th, 2009 @ 02:43 PM Reply

I have a question...

i live in Tijuana, across the border from San Diego,
i have a PO box there
but in the mailing address do i have to put the city and country im living in?
or the city and country of the PO box?

Rev Share and RSS

Viva Mexico Cabrones

BBS Signature
Rig
Rig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Rev Share and RSS Apr. 15th, 2009 @ 02:46 PM Reply

At 4/15/09 02:43 PM, WAaAzZAaA wrote: but in the mailing address do i have to put the city and country im living in?
or the city and country of the PO box?

I believe it's the country of the PO box, so USA then.

____________________________Bel-Air remixes! You must listen!____________________________

BBS Signature
PartyZombie
PartyZombie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Rev Share and RSS Apr. 15th, 2009 @ 02:47 PM Reply

To tell you the honest truth.. I have no fucking clue what is going on except that I can make money somehow and if I can make money then I can get some new stuff since my computer and programs are getting out of date. I still can't figure how to get the API ad program going, it won't work right for me.

NhollowWearthO
NhollowWearthO
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Rev Share and RSS Apr. 15th, 2009 @ 02:49 PM Reply

Tom you never stop to amaze me.

life
life
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Blank Slate
Response to Rev Share and RSS Apr. 15th, 2009 @ 02:50 PM Reply

April Earnings: $0.79 Rich as FUCK.

Hey Tom can you make it to so g-bot or p-bot PMs us when a new flash by our favorite flash/audio artist is released? Losers like me don't use rss. :(

I'm your average Afro-American fetus. For example: I enjoy basketball, I'm rather good when I play too, but I'm much too busy scratching my horrific cracked skin these days.

BBS Signature
WAaAzZAaA
WAaAzZAaA
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Rev Share and RSS Apr. 15th, 2009 @ 02:54 PM Reply

At 4/15/09 02:46 PM, Rig wrote: I believe it's the country of the PO box, so USA then.

thanks for replying man,
i'll put USA then

Viva Mexico Cabrones

BBS Signature
RubberNinja
RubberNinja
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Animator
Response to Rev Share and RSS Apr. 15th, 2009 @ 02:58 PM Reply

Great, time to drop out of school!

Gorgorothx
Gorgorothx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Rev Share and RSS Apr. 15th, 2009 @ 02:58 PM Reply

Awesome job with the updates, guys. Never really got into RSS feeds, but this might make me do it ;)

UberCream
UberCream
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Animator
Response to Rev Share and RSS Apr. 15th, 2009 @ 03:08 PM Reply

I've made zero dollars in an hour... Out of curiosity, how many pennies does someone make from one click of an ad?

"I'm in love with UberCream." - Max Gilardi.

Rig
Rig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Rev Share and RSS Apr. 15th, 2009 @ 03:13 PM Reply

Are earnings right now based on ad impressions or ad clicks? Because I'm having a hard time believing that with over 8 thousand impressions on my userpage, nobody has clicked any of my songs besides one, and that there were no impressions at all for 5 days in a row.

Rev Share and RSS

____________________________Bel-Air remixes! You must listen!____________________________

BBS Signature
mariomusicmaker1
mariomusicmaker1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Rev Share and RSS Apr. 15th, 2009 @ 03:14 PM Reply

I have had about 25 listens on my new song with in the last hour, yet ihave made no money, how many clicks will it take to earn a penny?!

I Stopped A Rape!!!
" If music is an art, let your car be the canvas, "

BBS Signature
squeakytoad
squeakytoad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Rev Share and RSS Apr. 15th, 2009 @ 03:17 PM Reply

Tom, I love you. While I won't be dropping my summer job, this means that during college seasons, I don't have to take up as much part-time work, but can instead concentrate on flash, like I've been wanting to do more for quite some time now.
Thanks so much, man!

I-smel
I-smel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to Rev Share and RSS Apr. 15th, 2009 @ 03:18 PM Reply

Is this the NG ads I've been using for like a year? I don't want to sound like a dick, I genuinely can't tell what we're talking about.

+If y'all are jokin over like 30 cents everyday, I don't know if I should even mention how much I've got from this. Serious duckets yo.

bob
bob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Rev Share and RSS Apr. 15th, 2009 @ 03:19 PM Reply

At 4/15/09 03:08 PM, UberCream wrote: I've made zero dollars in an hour... Out of curiosity, how many pennies does someone make from one click of an ad?

I believe you will have to measure that in fractions of a penny everytime someone clicks an ad. Like Tom said, this is not life-changing or even day-to-day-changing money.

This might be a better way to think of this: You now have the option to enroll in a Newgrounds class: "Internet Advertising 101" with Tom Fulp as your professor. (As an aside, please direct any problems you have to your teaching assistant, PsychoGoldfish, LOL.)

Now, in this class you will learn that clicking on your own ads over and over and over again does absolutely nothing. Also a valuable part of the lesson plan is how you need to start thinking in terms of thousands of clicks. That means if you go about your day to day business and drive legitimate traffic to your user page and Portal submissions by creating good content, then you'll find the money starting to add up.

But you have to be vigilant. Thoughtful posts, good dialogue with commenters, and an attempt to make your Newgrounds userpage your home on Teh Interwebs could help you earn some extra pocket money. Anything less and you'll probably take a year to earn a T-shirt.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Rev Share and RSS Apr. 15th, 2009 @ 03:20 PM Reply

At 4/15/09 03:13 PM, Rig wrote: Are earnings right now based on ad impressions or ad clicks? Because I'm having a hard time believing that with over 8 thousand impressions on my userpage, nobody has clicked any of my songs besides one, and that there were no impressions at all for 5 days in a row.

The graph only tracks items that have either made money or had at least 1000 impressions. The chart only tracks things that have made money... So taking that under consideration it hopefully makes more sense. The ads are a majority performance-based, so clicks and/or sign-ups.

BBS Signature
I-smel
I-smel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to Rev Share and RSS Apr. 15th, 2009 @ 03:20 PM Reply

Oh, I just checked the page and it's all new-lookin. Now I get it.

Wonchop
Wonchop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Animator
Response to Rev Share and RSS Apr. 15th, 2009 @ 03:21 PM Reply

At 4/15/09 12:34 PM, TomFulp wrote: If you had a HappyHarry RSS feed, you would have noticed he did voice work for a Wonchop movie after releasing Saturday Morning Watchmen.

Would've been a nice plug if you had remembered to actually stick a link to the movie in question XD

For those curious, here it is again:

And swell news about the revenue system. So does that pretty much make the Flash Ads thing redundant? :P

Out of interest, how do you go about dealing with customs charge for international purchases? Kinda sucks when you win some store credit to get some free stuff only to have to pay about half the cost so you can actually have it.

PsychoGoldfish
PsychoGoldfish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 12
Blank Slate

At 4/15/09 03:13 PM, Rig wrote: Are earnings right now based on ad impressions or ad clicks? Because I'm having a hard time believing that with over 8 thousand impressions on my userpage, nobody has clicked any of my songs besides one, and that there were no impressions at all for 5 days in a row.

The stats we get from the ad company are filtered so we can import them in less than a week. We only get stats if you made any monry, o if you have gotten 1k+ ad impressions. Without this filter, the whole system is just a big clusterfuck... you just have no idea!

Arch-Angel likes this sig!

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer

At 4/15/09 03:17 PM, squeakytoad wrote: Tom, I love you. While I won't be dropping my summer job, this means that during college seasons, I don't have to take up as much part-time work, but can instead concentrate on flash, like I've been wanting to do more for quite some time now.
Thanks so much, man!

FINGERS CROSSED. This is the sort of thing we're hoping will be possible. :)

BBS Signature
idiot-buster
idiot-buster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Rev Share and RSS Apr. 15th, 2009 @ 03:23 PM Reply

So how do you put in a advertisement on your userpage?

Wi/Ht regular|Elite Guard Barracks Member|Idiot-Buster-Elite Guard Sup. Commander

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Rev Share and RSS Apr. 15th, 2009 @ 03:23 PM Reply

At 4/15/09 03:18 PM, I-smel wrote: Is this the NG ads I've been using for like a year? I don't want to sound like a dick, I genuinely can't tell what we're talking about.

+If y'all are jokin over like 30 cents everyday, I don't know if I should even mention how much I've got from this. Serious duckets yo.

The new revenue page includes Flash Ads revenue from the ads you have been putting in your Flash for the past year, but it also includes a rev share on ads that appear on your pages here on NG. Since you were using the Flash API system, you were part of a test group that was secretly earning money throughout March, so when you view your March stats, you should see User Page, Flash Portal and Audio Portal earnings in addition to your traditional "Flash Ads" earnings.

BBS Signature
PsychoGoldfish
PsychoGoldfish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Rev Share and RSS Apr. 15th, 2009 @ 03:24 PM Reply

At 4/15/09 03:23 PM, idiot-buster wrote: So how do you put in a advertisement on your userpage?

the ads are already on your userpage. You get a share from the in-page ad that's always been there. Youre welcome :D

Arch-Angel likes this sig!

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Rev Share and RSS Apr. 15th, 2009 @ 03:27 PM Reply

At 4/15/09 03:21 PM, Wonchop wrote: And swell news about the revenue system. So does that pretty much make the Flash Ads thing redundant? :P

Out of interest, how do you go about dealing with customs charge for international purchases? Kinda sucks when you win some store credit to get some free stuff only to have to pay about half the cost so you can actually have it.

Customs charges suck... Dunno a solution for that since it's down to the individual countries and what they charge to import stuff. :(

As for the Flash Ads being redundant - it is still VERY beneficial to implement Flash Ads in your Flash. They generally perform MUCH better than the ads on pages, and they go with your Flash wherever it goes on the web - which generally works out a lot better for games, since the movies just get ripped to YouTube. If you are making something that has any chance of spreading, Flash Ads bring a lot of upside. Some people put them in movies that get 10,000 views and the results are disappointing. Other people put them in games that get 100,000 views on NG, then 2,000,000 views across the rest of the web, and those numbers start to add up.

BBS Signature
Mattster
Mattster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Game Developer
Response to Rev Share and RSS Apr. 15th, 2009 @ 03:28 PM Reply

This is great! I love the interactive viewer, I missed it when you removed the old one :P

I love the new look! And finally a button on the Account page, that helps. This system is perfect!

I'm so popular, $0.05 off my userpage >:)

Thanks!
-Matt

Rev Share and RSS

Wonchop
Wonchop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Animator
Response to Rev Share and RSS Apr. 15th, 2009 @ 03:28 PM Reply

At 4/15/09 02:50 PM, life wrote: Hey Tom can you make it to so g-bot or p-bot PMs us when a new flash by our favorite flash/audio artist is released? Losers like me don't use rss. :(

I wouldn't mind something like this. It's certainly useful on sites like Deviantart and Youtube, and would be handy for those wanting to keep track of their favourite artists without glaring at the portal in vain hope. And like DA you could have it alert about an artist's news posts, including ones not posted to the front page. It's debateable whether it should go in a seperate segment to the Inbox, though.