Respond to this Topic
Zerok
Zerok
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Writer
Response to Rev Share and RSS 2009-04-16 21:19:34 Reply

I do have a question about impressions that I don't think has been addressed: do unique users have a "duration"?

Say I have some loyal follower who visits my page every day. I'd get an impression the first time they visit, but what about the next days? Will I never receive another impression from their IP or (however it tracks it) ever, ever again (for that particular page)?

In some ways it makes sense to limit it, but it also makes sense to put an expiry/duration on something like that. After all, mere exposure is a powerful force: ad companies should want the same person to be exposed as much as possible to an ad!

Zerok blog: PM me if you like music | My (retired) webcomic: Pizza For Guys

KrazeyOne
KrazeyOne
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Rev Share and RSS 2009-04-16 21:20:47 Reply

At 4/16/09 08:52 PM, Zerok wrote:
You looked through, but apparently you didn't actually read anything.

This question has been addressed like 6 times.

The charts don't record anything until you've actually made money, which takes time because you need X amount of impressions to register a cent.

well, thank you for clearing that up. :D

MaestroRage
MaestroRage
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Musician
Response to Rev Share and RSS 2009-04-16 21:48:33 Reply

I've always wondered that too Zerok. I mean perhaps it's just that particular ad? It doesn't seem to be fair that just because somebody has been exposed to your page once all the ads shown on that page doesn't count. I mean billboards advertising have to pay every time a new advertisement gets put up, even if you drive by it every day right?

Kaizerwolf
Kaizerwolf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to Rev Share and RSS 2009-04-16 21:50:25 Reply

Ads dont bring any money unless people actually pay attention to them, whether it be clicking something or buying a product put on a billboard.

How about you join the NGPD? Just what is the Newgrounds Police Dept.? Click the link and find out for yourself!

BBS Signature
Zerok
Zerok
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Writer
Response to Rev Share and RSS 2009-04-16 21:54:35 Reply

At 4/16/09 09:48 PM, MaestroRage wrote: I've always wondered that too Zerok. I mean perhaps it's just that particular ad? It doesn't seem to be fair that just because somebody has been exposed to your page once all the ads shown on that page doesn't count. I mean billboards advertising have to pay every time a new advertisement gets put up, even if you drive by it every day right?

Perrrrhaps it does reset when the ad changes... that would make loads of sense. Perhaps there's also a "billing cycle" or something for longer-run ads... and they reset every X days/weeks. I'm sure it's different for different ads too.

I'm up to 7 cents now. At this rate I'll have a buck by the end of the month, wahoo!

Ismael92
Ismael92
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to Rev Share and RSS 2009-04-16 22:55:33 Reply

At 4/16/09 09:54 PM, Zerok wrote: I'm up to 7 cents now. At this rate I'll have a buck by the end of the month, wahoo!

April Earnings: $0.00
*cries*

I wonder how much do people like The-Swain and Adam Philips get.

Zerok
Zerok
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Writer
Response to Rev Share and RSS 2009-04-16 23:01:11 Reply

At 4/16/09 10:55 PM, Ismael92 wrote: I wonder how much do people like The-Swain and Adam Philips get.

Probably an impressive amount, if they've got the API running.

I'd estimate that a popular daily feature/front pager flash would net you a good $30, easy. Moreso with the Flash Portal Ads addition (double dip!)

Pure-Metal-UTA
Pure-Metal-UTA
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Rev Share and RSS 2009-04-16 23:12:40 Reply

At 4/16/09 11:01 PM, Zerok wrote:
At 4/16/09 10:55 PM, Ismael92 wrote: I wonder how much do people like The-Swain and Adam Philips get.
Probably an impressive amount, if they've got the API running.

I have a few questions involving API

yeah I'm new to this, sue me.

1) What is API?
2) Can Audio artists use it?
3) If Audio artists can use it, where can I get it?

Deja-Vu
Deja-Vu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Programmer
Response to Rev Share and RSS 2009-04-17 00:58:31 Reply

1) Tom, your post mentions "non-adult Flash and Audio pages" - one of my more popular Flash submissions is a "adult" game, does this mean I can only add the ads to other (non-nude) games I've submitted?
2) And what about my user page, could I add it there too?
3) Also, if you choose the cheque option, can it be deposited anywhere in the world?

BBS Signature
demonmasteransem
demonmasteransem
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Rev Share and RSS 2009-04-17 01:35:57 Reply

Thing is, Most users that have no to little flash and audio talent like meh :( will barely get any viewers. Just like mah Freewebs and Myspace Page. The most people i've had is at least 10. I'm poor anyways.

If you are happy, Youre Gay. If you are Depressed, Youre Emo. If youre Grumpy, Youre an A-Hole.

kris008
kris008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Rev Share and RSS 2009-04-17 01:50:05 Reply

i have a game with almost 80,000 views but its classed as 'Adult, Excessive Nudity, Mild Adult Themes ' does that mean it wont earn me any revinue?

Fleshlight
Fleshlight
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Rev Share and RSS 2009-04-17 01:55:35 Reply

I'm up to a nickle now. Might as well drop out of school and sit here on the forums all day.

|_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_|

knuxrouge
knuxrouge
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Rev Share and RSS 2009-04-17 03:12:56 Reply

Still broke, just waiting patiently.

what happened to this place?
Latest Blog: Chaos Sonic Ch 3 Update.

BBS Signature
Zingking
Zingking
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Rev Share and RSS 2009-04-17 03:21:32 Reply

Ok but how often is newgrounds trying to get different ads?
Because if its the same ad over and over, someone who has clicked on it no longer has reason to

Doing crazy stuff for 2010, so click the bloody sig to see!(Sig made by PabMo!, thanks man)

BBS Signature
ViceFullbuster
ViceFullbuster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Melancholy
Response to Rev Share and RSS 2009-04-17 05:08:25 Reply

The one difference i've seen is that i no longer see any ads but instead just a message that says "Bad Request (Request Header Too Long)" and no link to follow.

NOW IS WHEN YOU RAM HAPPY WITH LIFE SAUCE. PSN Screenname - Mooglejoke Wii U Network ID - Mooglejoke - Nintendo 3DS Friend Code 4768-8871-1657

BBS Signature
jeffman101
jeffman101
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Rev Share and RSS 2009-04-17 11:48:58 Reply

An RSS, that sounds neat.

Gustavos
Gustavos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Rev Share and RSS 2009-04-17 12:32:29 Reply

Unrelated, but who would I talk to if I have a question about the Pico Day Preloader that supposedly runs Flash Ads inside it? I watch it with ctrl+enter and the only error message is that there is a missing "ID". I suppose that means all that I have left to do is enable Flash Ads when I submit the movie or did I skip a step?

I usually frequent the VG and collaboration Forums. If you find me anywhere else, I'm lost and can't find my way back.

kris008
kris008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Rev Share and RSS 2009-04-17 12:34:34 Reply

ive had over 1000 views on my game since this revenue thingy started so y i still got 0.00? :( is it cuz its classed under 'Adult' rating?
also what about these noobs who post loads crappy vids onto the portal everyday, will they b makin loads money for spamming the portal? cuz thats rubbish if thats how it works.

Afro-Ninja
Afro-Ninja
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Game Developer
Response to Rev Share and RSS 2009-04-17 12:39:31 Reply

At 4/17/09 12:34 PM, kris008 wrote: also what about these noobs who post loads crappy vids onto the portal everyday, will they b makin loads money for spamming the portal? cuz thats rubbish if thats how it works.

they might be lucky to get a a few pennies out of it

BBS Signature
ViceFullbuster
ViceFullbuster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Melancholy
Response to Rev Share and RSS 2009-04-17 12:45:24 Reply

Can like you still make a little cash even if you don't have flash or any audio,i'm still in the dark about this whole thing and i still don't understand why all the ads disappered on me,if somebody can explain that would be nice.

NOW IS WHEN YOU RAM HAPPY WITH LIFE SAUCE. PSN Screenname - Mooglejoke Wii U Network ID - Mooglejoke - Nintendo 3DS Friend Code 4768-8871-1657

BBS Signature
Malachy
Malachy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Melancholy
Response to Rev Share and RSS 2009-04-17 14:02:26 Reply

At 4/17/09 12:45 PM, Molotov wrote: Can like you still make a little cash even if you don't have flash or any audio,i'm still in the dark about this whole thing and i still don't understand why all the ads disappered on me,if somebody can explain that would be nice.

yup, it tracks impressions from your userpage, audio pages and flash pages regardless of if you are using the Flash Api in your own flashes. Basically there's a counter checking out how many impressions you get on pages attributed to your username.

So, even people who don't have any audio or flash submission still have a few cents.

But you won't get a check until you reach $50, which for most people who dont have flash will take a very long time if for example they only make 5 cents every couple of months from visits to their userpage.

¥ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! ¥ ¥
¥ ¥
Blag [updated: 4/20/2014] ¥ ¥

BBS Signature
Chaz
Chaz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Game Developer
Response to Rev Share and RSS 2009-04-17 14:47:41 Reply

Signed up. I think it's a good idea and very fair, GJ guys. I also like the fact it's $50 and not something nigh-on unreachable like $100.

BBS Signature
toxicbomb
toxicbomb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Animator
Response to Rev Share and RSS 2009-04-17 16:28:43 Reply

Surely, ads are in the interest of the users. Or else, what would be the point? Newgrounds couldn't be newgrounds without us. Thank you, Tom. Thank you.

AniMetal
AniMetal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Blank Slate
Response to Rev Share and RSS 2009-04-17 16:38:17 Reply

At 4/17/09 02:02 PM, Malachy wrote: yup, it tracks impressions from your userpage, audio pages and flash pages regardless of if you are using the Flash Api in your own flashes. Basically there's a counter checking out how many impressions you get on pages attributed to your username.

Am I wrong in asking for an impression counter on our userpages so we can gloat about how much money we make. >3 >3 >3

Make war, not love.

BBS Signature
Tominater12
Tominater12
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Rev Share and RSS 2009-04-17 16:43:10 Reply

Rev share should include topic creators. I found that this rev share is almost impossible to make anything unless you make awesome flashes, music, or you are super popular. I myself currently do not have flash(maybe this summer I hope) have just started making music(it sounds really bad right now)and am not popular. Now the only thing I have really been able to do is make successful threads with over 3 pages. Now every time someone clicks a thread they are exposed to an ad why not include threads in rev share so how many views you get the more the thread creator gets. Now the only way to make this work is if you fix the glitch so that I register 0 views when I check my thread and so that people only register 1 view for every 24 hours so you can not inflate the thread views and cheat newgrounds out of money. To compensate for this you could also add flash adds to the side when viewing the forums.(now this would only include threads made after this takes effect not before)Also to stop spammers if a thread is deleted all the views that that topic got would not go towards rev share.

BBS Signature
YoinK
YoinK
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Game Developer
Response to Rev Share and RSS 2009-04-17 16:44:04 Reply

I've made$6.20 so far..... but my stuff doesn't get many views... I think it's definitely better to make games though.. cuz then you can at least post these flash games on other flash portals and make money that way.

Kanye West Did What??????
They should make a black guy the manager, they know how to run shit!
2 Girls 1 Cup .... THE SONG!!!!

Cordyceps
Cordyceps
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 15
Animator
Response to Rev Share and RSS 2009-04-17 16:52:54 Reply

9 cents so far.

This might be the incentive to unpload flash for me.

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Rev Share and RSS 2009-04-17 16:52:56 Reply

At 4/17/09 04:43 PM, Tominater12 wrote: Rev share should include topic creators. I found that this rev share is almost impossible to make anything unless you make awesome flashes, music, or you are super popular.

Ads in the BBS perform so bad it's tempting sometimes to not even have them, so I think the results would still be a let-down... And even if we did delete earnings for spam topics, I would worry about having more spam than we can deal with.

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
Tominater12
Tominater12
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Rev Share and RSS 2009-04-17 16:54:27 Reply

At 4/17/09 04:52 PM, TomFulp wrote:
Ads in the BBS perform so bad it's tempting sometimes to not even have them, so I think the results would still be a let-down... And even if we did delete earnings for spam topics, I would worry about having more spam than we can deal with.

Oh I did not know they performed bad I thought they did good.

BBS Signature
AniMetal
AniMetal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Blank Slate
Response to Rev Share and RSS 2009-04-17 17:03:27 Reply

At 4/17/09 04:54 PM, Tominater12 wrote:

Really? That's a bit of a surprise.

I mean the ads at the bottom of the pages are obviously failures, but the ads at the top of the page below "Flash portal, Audio portal, etc." seem like the kind of ad that would be successful because of all the slip-up clicks.

Make war, not love.

BBS Signature