00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

xrusteater0 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Chuwahwah Speed Drawing

3,622 Views | 32 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Chuwahwah Speed Drawing 2009-04-13 11:44:55

Sorry if I spelled that wrong any who

I had nothing to doand I thought of this. This was the drawing from my Chuwahwah speed drawing

Chuwahwah Speed Drawing

I've been a member WAY too long... but now I write classical music! Check me out! k thx bye ;)

BBS Signature

Response to Chuwahwah Speed Drawing 2009-04-13 13:12:04

Hey not to shabby, and kind og cute, I like the song in the video as well, weird Al and a chuwahwah just seem to go together

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature

Response to Chuwahwah Speed Drawing 2009-04-13 13:40:41

s'a loada bollocks. You didn't even bother to remove the circle in his head.

No mate, no.

BBS Signature

Response to Chuwahwah Speed Drawing 2009-04-13 13:41:11

At 4/13/09 01:12 PM, Kinsei01 wrote:

:weird Al and a chuwahwah just seem to go together

I concur

Also, nice drawing

Response to Chuwahwah Speed Drawing 2009-04-13 14:56:31

At 4/13/09 01:40 PM, JoeTheToucan wrote: s'a loada bollocks. You didn't even bother to remove the circle in his head.

This.

The picture is just plain lazy.

Latest Blog Entry - thx

BBS Signature

Response to Chuwahwah Speed Drawing 2009-04-13 14:58:20

Please repost in the Draw and Capture on Video thread. Thanks.

Response to Chuwahwah Speed Drawing 2009-04-15 13:15:56

At 4/13/09 01:40 PM, JoeTheToucan wrote: s'a loada bollocks. You didn't even bother to remove the circle in his head.

Its an art style

I've been a member WAY too long... but now I write classical music! Check me out! k thx bye ;)

BBS Signature

Response to Chuwahwah Speed Drawing 2009-04-15 13:19:44

At 4/15/09 01:15 PM, Tyguy80s wrote:
Its an art style

It's laziness.

Latest Blog Entry - thx

BBS Signature

Response to Chuwahwah Speed Drawing 2009-04-15 13:48:11

At 4/15/09 01:19 PM, idiot-monarch wrote: It's laziness.

C-C-C-C-C-C-C-Combobreaker!!!

Before this turns into a 'did not, did too, did not, did too'.

Also: 'chihuahua'.

- The Run -- Cargo || The Run -- Drop - The Run is an episodic sci-fi story, click the image to go to the Main Page.

BBS Signature

Response to Chuwahwah Speed Drawing 2009-04-15 14:15:36

there's no real point in speed painting something you haven't practiced first. Say I wanted to make a quick drawing of something I never seen before. I would do some observational sketches, then some more worked out drawings, maybe a couple of gesture studies, and then start getting into this speed paint business.

|_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_|

Response to Chuwahwah Speed Drawing 2009-04-15 16:32:37

At 4/13/09 11:44 AM, Tyguy80s wrote: Sorry if I spelled that wrong any who

I had nothing to doand I thought of this. This was the drawing from my Chuwahwah speed drawing

how in da hell did a 60 second sketch get stretched out into a 2 and a half minute speed drawing?

Response to Chuwahwah Speed Drawing 2009-04-15 16:39:18

i respect your own style of drawing but the forgetting to rub out the circe of the head was lazy.and slightly bollox.

Response to Chuwahwah Speed Drawing 2009-04-16 11:55:05

At 4/15/09 01:19 PM, idiot-monarch wrote:
At 4/15/09 01:15 PM, Tyguy80s wrote:
Its an art style
It's laziness.

Thats your opinion :I

BBS Signature

Response to Chuwahwah Speed Drawing 2009-04-16 11:57:32

At 4/15/09 04:32 PM, MindChamber wrote:
At 4/13/09 11:44 AM, Tyguy80s wrote: Sorry if I spelled that wrong any who

how in da hell did a 60 second sketch get stretched out into a 2 and a half minute speed drawing?

Actullay it took 10 - 15 mins, plus it was 10 o'clock at night

BBS Signature

Response to Chuwahwah Speed Drawing 2009-04-16 11:58:48

At 4/15/09 04:39 PM, plappage-flash wrote: i respect your own style of drawing but the forgetting to rub out the circe of the head was lazy.and slightly bollox.

Some art style don't rub out some of the lines in drawing

BBS Signature

Response to Chuwahwah Speed Drawing 2009-04-16 12:11:05

that's no excuse! I've drawn more intresting things at 4am on an iphone with my bare fingers while being drunk!! (example below took me 5 min)

put more effort into it for fucks sake

Chuwahwah Speed Drawing

up up down down left right left right B A

BBS Signature

Response to Chuwahwah Speed Drawing 2009-04-16 15:00:21

At 4/16/09 11:58 AM, Tyguy80s wrote:
Some art style don't rub out some of the lines in drawing

Even if you were trying to achive a certain art style, it looks as if the line wasn't removed out of pure laziness.

The most cute, lovely kittens you'll ever see!

BBS Signature

Response to Chuwahwah Speed Drawing 2009-04-16 16:38:01

At 4/16/09 11:58 AM, Tyguy80s wrote: Some art style don't rub out some of the lines in drawing

Some don't you're right, But as far as i can see you're drawing is not in one of those styles. Not erasing lines would be used in a scetch-like style, however; since your drawing does not have any other excess lines, that is not really the style of this drawing (esp. since it took you 10-15 mins.)
Another style that doesn't erase lines would be a more simplistic/abstract approach (can't really put it into words right), wherease yours is more cartooney...

Of course, It is your drawing, and you can choose whether to erase lines or not, that's the whole point of it. Try to see people's comments as constructive criticism, even if it really isn't.
If people don't like your work, try to figure out why they don't like it. Some said he thought you were lazy for not erasing the line, apparently it is not obvious to people that keeping the line there was a deliberate choice. Perhaps the style of the drawing is not consistent enough, you could try making it more obvious that it was on purpose.

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to Chuwahwah Speed Drawing 2009-04-18 03:17:06

what the hell is the point of a speed drawing? I suppose it can act as a disclaimer of sorts but people use it as some sort of a category. If it really does have a use could someone please tell me? I've always been taught that the more time and attention you put into something the more worthwhile the product.

if you don't have anything interesting to say, don't say anything at all

BBS Signature

Response to Chuwahwah Speed Drawing 2009-04-18 03:23:26

At 4/18/09 03:17 AM, falz3333 wrote: what the hell is the point of a speed drawing? I suppose it can act as a disclaimer of sorts but people use it as some sort of a category. If it really does have a use could someone please tell me? I've always been taught that the more time and attention you put into something the more worthwhile the product.

drawing without thinking helps to loosen your mind, which in turn, helps the project you're working on because you don't have so many things racing through your brain.

|_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_|

Response to Chuwahwah Speed Drawing 2009-04-18 11:37:23

At 4/16/09 12:12 PM, Techno wrote: Sorry but it could be better...

BTW if you don't know that during the part where you are erasing the excess around the dog of the gray or whatever, you can just click it with the pointer and press delete, then you suck.

I put the color in a layer below the out line actually

BBS Signature

Response to Chuwahwah Speed Drawing 2009-04-18 16:48:18

drawing without thinking helps to loosen your mind, which in turn, helps the project you're working on because you don't have so many things racing through your brain.

i don't buy it. if what your saying is true then that would make them mere practice sketches made in preparation for the real deal. This guy has no intention of creating a master chihuahua drawing.

if you don't have anything interesting to say, don't say anything at all

BBS Signature

Response to Chuwahwah Speed Drawing 2009-04-18 17:46:11

Why isn't this topic locked yet? Also, look at some other speed paintings from other artists, see their techniques and try to learn from that. I read in some book that it might be a good idea for a beginner to first draw from reference pictures to get the feeling and how tha lines flo'. But if you're too lazy to do so, then may god help you, son.

The most cute, lovely kittens you'll ever see!

BBS Signature

Response to Chuwahwah Speed Drawing 2009-04-18 18:15:57

At 4/18/09 11:37 AM, Tyguy80s wrote:

BTW if you don't know that during the part where you are erasing the excess around the dog of the gray or whatever, you can just click it with the pointer and press delete, then you suck.

WHY??
SO INEFFICIENT!
i've never known someone to do something so ridiculous before. body color goes in the object >>>USING PAINT BUCKET<<<<, shading CAN go over top in a new layer, but you didn't even shade.

dude. it hurts to watch you erase like that.

some people get them, some people don't;

BBS Signature

Response to Chuwahwah Speed Drawing 2009-04-19 01:49:02

At 4/18/09 06:15 PM, Apple-Juice wrote:
At 4/18/09 11:37 AM, Tyguy80s wrote:

WHY??
SO INEFFICIENT!
i've never known someone to do something so ridiculous before. body color goes in the object >>>USING PAINT BUCKET<<<<, shading CAN go over top in a new layer, but you didn't even shade.

Stop talking about this like your technique was the only valid one. I couldn't agree less with you. I never use paint bucket. I colour and shade only on layers below the lineart. The shading shouldn't overlap the lineart if you're going for a cartoony style.

Latest Blog Entry - thx

BBS Signature

Response to Chuwahwah Speed Drawing 2009-05-15 21:49:32

WHY??
SO INEFFICIENT!

dude. it hurts to watch you erase like that.

I had a couple layers to work with on the the outline

BBS Signature

Response to Chuwahwah Speed Drawing 2009-05-16 09:26:36

This thread is terrible

Response to Chuwahwah Speed Drawing 2009-05-16 09:50:37

There's actually some stuff you could probably improve on. First, I noticed you didn't zoom in at all. I suggest you to zoom in at least to the canvas size. It makes it WAY easier. Then, try to make a sketch. Base yourself from shapes, for example, make a square with round edges to make the basic shape of the dog's craneum, then make the same for body and legs. I prefer to use the infamous "cat scratch" that is basically using a ton of lines that look dirty and then trace it in a cleaner way on another layer. If what you were aiming for is cartoony style, I'll tell you something I learned from a great artist one time "You always have to know the rules before you break them. You can't piss your teacher off if you don't know you don't have to shout during class".

Here's a little example to help you out. Did it in less than a minute and, if I wanted to, I could finish it really quickly since I wouldn't have to twitch the proportions every two lines, I'd just have to make cleaner lines on another layer and color it.

Chuwahwah Speed Drawing

Response to Chuwahwah Speed Drawing 2009-05-16 10:25:00

Now here's something else to help you out.
When taking a shot at cartoony style, one usually thinks "Hey, let's start building the cartoon from zero!". This is totally wrong. Try to study anatomy a bit and then start deforming your drawings, but try to always take proportion as the base of your drawing. Picture 1 here is a cranium I took as an example. You can get a higher res and bigger pic here. Let's take one of my favourite cartoon shows as an example here: Flapjack. When designing the characters, you can easily realize that the producers of Flapjack took the character's proportions and started messing them up a lot. Still, you can see they had a clear sight of the character's proportions in mind when doing it. In some episodes, for example the "Knuckels is a filthy rat", this is extremely noticeable, specially when there's close takes of the rat. In figure 2 I made the complete opposite of this, I started building the character from the nose instead of making a sketch and figuring out the proportions. Yes, the design looks ugly, instead, in figure three I took the propotions in consideration, made an anatomically correct sketch and then, when making the whole character, I played around with the proportions. Just so that it's easier for you, I made all of the deformed part with red so that you can find it easier to notice. This is what most animators or cartoonists do when working on something professional, and even if you're not, you should try to put as much work as possible into your work.

Here I have given you quite some info so that you can progress in the development of your catoons, although this is all theorical, the one thing you need now is the practise. Good luck!

Chuwahwah Speed Drawing

Response to Chuwahwah Speed Drawing 2009-05-16 11:25:06

it looks great to be a speed painting and it is chihuahua LOL