00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

nuggetior just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Government sensoship on Youtube.

2,750 Views | 35 Replies

Response to Government sensoship on Youtube. 2009-04-13 20:21:45

Hah, my Ipod lets me watch it! Take that, blocky things!

He Slams His Fists Against The Posts And Still Insists He Sees The Ghosts

BBS Signature

Response to Government sensoship on Youtube. 2009-04-13 20:27:28

At 4/12/09 11:07 PM, Malachy wrote: Regional play is not actually by the government but by the media and by how you watch something.

I don't know the exact details but it's like this:

each region has a specific code in it's devices which can only play specific media. The media has a region specific code too. So if you have a USA computer and you try watching a British DVD on it, it won't let you, or it will make you choose a region, in which case your computer would no longer play DVDs from another region.

Youtube probably has the same sort of programming where users logging in from the USA can't access UK specific media.

Now, the reason for this isn't government. This is all FREE MARKET's doing. See, media companies dont want you accessing their material before they want to release it to you. That's why they will release TV shows or movies in the Europe but not release it in Australia or the USA until months later. If they sell the DVD before it's even in USA theaters, then Americans would be buying the DVD and having it shipped to them from the UK instead.

So no, it is not censorship.

It's not that either. Crunchyroll does a similar thing; they'll show certain videos and then mark them as unavailable in certain regions. It has nothing to do with software compatibility, only copyrights.
It's censorship nonetheless.

I maek lolz. I play Steam. I fight for genital integrity.

Anything else you need?

BBS Signature

Response to Government sensoship on Youtube. 2009-04-13 20:32:35

Why would the government block anything resembling the title "Devolution of Stupid People". I mean come on.

BBS Signature

Response to Government sensoship on Youtube. 2009-04-13 20:39:07

At 4/13/09 08:32 PM, BlackPlastic wrote: Why would the government block anything resembling the title "Devolution of Stupid People". I mean come on.

That's what Malachy and I were getting at: it's not the government. It may be whoever owns the rights to the clip requested it be blocked in the United States for whatever reason.

I maek lolz. I play Steam. I fight for genital integrity.

Anything else you need?

BBS Signature

Response to Government sensoship on Youtube. 2009-04-13 20:47:59

At 4/12/09 11:07 PM, Malachy wrote:
Now, the reason for this isn't government. This is all FREE MARKET's doing.

Thats what they want you to think!

Response to Government sensoship on Youtube. 2009-04-13 21:07:20

We all know that Google sends search data to the gov't...

This is just their next step in trying to control us all...

This is why I said vote McCain... Republicans focus on killing terrorist threats while Democrats sit in their
office preaching hope and twiddling their thumbs