00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

b0sszkr1 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

What You Want - Sonic The Hedgehog

4,324 Views | 55 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

After reading many reviews, threads, and just plain nonsense on Sonic the Hedgehog, I've finally come to this conclusion on what you want in a Sonic Game.

You want Sonic back in his 2D platformer. You want the speed and you want brand new levels as well as a lock-on system as well.

Basically you want SEGA to pull a CAPCOM.

Confused?

When CAPCOM released a new Mega Man game, they released Mega Man 9 in the good ole' 8-Bit Presentation and people went insane over it.

Is this the same process you want SEGA to go through with Sonic?

of course it is don't lie.

Response to What You Want - Sonic The Hedgehog 2009-03-31 08:30:40

Something Along those lines, yeah...

The only thing thats stop a man in his tracks is not the bullet that killed him, its the ice cold stare in his killers eyes.

Is it too hard to make a better life?

BBS Signature

Response to What You Want - Sonic The Hedgehog 2009-03-31 08:49:27

i want sonic unleashed without the werehog, or at the very least, sonic adventure

BBS Signature

Response to What You Want - Sonic The Hedgehog 2009-03-31 08:50:30

At 3/31/09 08:39 AM, Aci6 wrote: it would be like Jak and Daxter, just not as good.

Hmm...somehow I don't see that working...

The only thing thats stop a man in his tracks is not the bullet that killed him, its the ice cold stare in his killers eyes.

Is it too hard to make a better life?

BBS Signature

Response to What You Want - Sonic The Hedgehog 2009-03-31 08:53:21

At 3/31/09 08:49 AM, theicecubeclock wrote: i want sonic unleashed without the werehog, or at the very least, sonic adventure

We all wanted Sonic Unleashed without that damn werehog.

At 3/31/09 08:39 AM, Aci6 wrote: Frankly, I don't want anything from him myself. Perhaps though since I might as well contribute, an awesome 3D adventure with power-ups, guns, and good old fashioned references to the old games.
it would be like Jak and Daxter, just not as good.

Well I hate to disagree, but if you gave him power-ups it wouldn't be bad, but guns would be just pointless really unless the enemies had them. You can't really compare Sonic to Jak and Daxter, their both different games. You're statement isn't bad, but if you could go into deeper detail.

Response to What You Want - Sonic The Hedgehog 2009-03-31 13:08:56

They would need to go the hollywood route and just start the whole thing over from scratch...

Just like how the new Batman movies deny any other Batman movies exist and they've started telling the whole story over... fixing things that went wrong the first few times.

Same idea... get rid of the sword, the time travel, the transformations, the human girlfriend, the unneccessary friends, etc... maybe update the look of the character to something a bit more modern (don't over do it)... and re-think the idea of the game.

Start all over... the next Sonic game should be a clean start... act as if no other Sonic games have ever existed. I might be inquired to give that one a good look, until then, there's nothing they can do to sonic to make him good again.

Oh, and also... no more shitty theme games with Mario.

Request deletion

This went wrong.

Response to What You Want - Sonic The Hedgehog 2009-03-31 13:21:54

At 3/31/09 08:28 AM, The-Great-One wrote:
of course it is don't lie.

Yes you are very right.

Response to What You Want - Sonic The Hedgehog 2009-03-31 15:39:30

Quite Frankly, since I have all of his good games on a collection disc, I just want the little bastard to die.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to What You Want - Sonic The Hedgehog 2009-03-31 16:34:10

At 3/31/09 03:39 PM, puddinN64 wrote: Quite Frankly, since I have all of his good games on a collection disc, I just want the little bastard to die.

No shit, really?
That's really unique.

Not

Even though I'm cool with the games as is, the perfect Sonic game for me would be:
3 playable characters, Sonic, Tails and Knuckes.
Shadow can cameo, but I wouldn't make him playable.
Sonic: much like Sonic Unleashed day stages, but with more classical themed stages. Maybe some sort of system that makes the player move the Control Stick to help Sonic mameuver on loops and stuff, in contrast to just holding forward.
You know like: Move the Control Stick counter-clockwise to get Sonic over a loop.
Also with a quick button action for automatic transitions in stages. I know people hate that concept, but if you are properly prompted, it shouldn't be a problem.
Tails: Airplane 3rd person shooter, like a hybrid of Zone of the Enders and Robotech.
Knuckles: A beat 'em up obstacle course, with a fighting system similar to Devil May Cry.

A story in which Robotnik/Eggman is the main antagonist, relying on his machines, robots and ships, and not tablets and manuscripts.

Oh, and a replay feature to look back on your best moments.

Multiplayer I guess, but with couses specifically designed for it instead of rehashed 1p stages.
A leaderboard for best time completion of a stage wouldn't hurt either.
*comes*

what happened to this place?

Latest Blog: Chaos Sonic Ch 3 Update.

BBS Signature

Response to What You Want - Sonic The Hedgehog 2009-03-31 17:08:27

From what I can tell, most people just want to go back to 2D games with Sonic. Also, they want Tails gone. Or at least not have him talk.

I only agree with the second one. I really enjoyed Sonic's first two 3D games (aside from Sonic 3D, obviously). Heroes and Adventure 2 were fairly solid games. I think what happened is that those two are more exploration and collection based, while the more recent ones are just speed.

Oh, quhzk! That's what the duck says! - Toki Wartooth

Response to What You Want - Sonic The Hedgehog 2009-03-31 17:49:12

I think it would be REALLY cool if they remade the original three games in the 3-D format.

If at first you don't succeed, then you suck.

How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was Chuck Norris? All of it.

BBS Signature

Response to What You Want - Sonic The Hedgehog 2009-03-31 18:34:43

What I want from a sonic game ?

Well first of all I don't want it to be a rushed game just made to make easy and quick money.

Response to What You Want - Sonic The Hedgehog 2009-03-31 18:53:05

I just don't want any Sonic games.

"Physicsman09: The Gordon Freeman of Newgrounds"

-The-Hitman

BBS Signature

Response to What You Want - Sonic The Hedgehog 2009-03-31 19:52:08

At 3/31/09 09:24 AM, Aci6 wrote: Ever play a PS2 Crash bandicoot game? Imagine those awesome 3D levels that were linear but with two Sonic characters following each other like in Donkey Kong Country. They'd all have their different abilities and often they could 'combo' to get to different places. Certain areas could allow you switch between and as such.
For example imagine selecting Knuckles and then bashing down a wall, Sonic then grabs him and runs across some water. Another example, Tails flies across a huge gap and hits a switch, allowing Knuckles to cross and bash down a wall or as such and et etera.
it'd really help flesh out the game and give it some depth as well as replay value to come back to old levels and gather more 'emeralds' or whatever. Plus it would pay the developers to be innovative.
Certains hubs or levels may be 3D and some old arcade games should be thrown in here and there to mix up the gameplay.

This is certainly a great idea for a Sonic game. It sounds more like Donkey Kong 64 than anything else though. That's not a bad thing though, I believe it could all work out fine and dandy.

At 3/31/09 06:33 PM, Blaze-Heatnix wrote: I think it's funny how you made a thread telling people to stop making Sonic threads, and yet here we are less than a week after that.

If you read my first post (you know the whole thing) then you would've known this thread was coming. Go refresh your memory before trying to make a witty comment against me good sir.

I said it before, and i'll say it again. Megaman 9 was nothing more than to cause more interest in the company, in "OH MY GOD THEY ACTUALLY CARE ABOUT US OLD FARTS" when in reality all they wanted to do was build hype to appeal to nostalgia fans and make some quick cash, and draw in more fans. Something like that with Sonic would be the same thing, except worse with "IT'S JUST NOT THE SAME WAAAAAH".

Yes Megaman 9 was all about the nostalgia. Yes CAPCOM did want to build up hype to appeal to the nostalgic fans which is good business to make cash with. You can't deny though that Megaman 9 was a great game to play and went back to the basics. If you know this logic so well then why can't you just simply agree then that if SEGA did the same thing with Sonic that they would see the same results as CAPCOM?

Response to What You Want - Sonic The Hedgehog 2009-03-31 20:12:19

Well I wanted to be the first one to point out how you were being a hypocrite just now but since blaze beat me to it might as well get to the point. I don't want much from a Sonic game just that its fun and enjoyable, no rushing, no HUGE gimmicks, smalls ones are fine but some that COMPLETELY drift from the whole series are no-nos ei. guns were ok you could still run with them and they worked while vehicles were and still are completely pointless, platforming is a must, no more additional characters just the ones that actually have a point to the story ei no more Biig, Chip, Rouge, etc, but most of all just for them to take their time with Sonic not just shit out a new game every couple of months. I'm sure the only reason why people want SEGA to pull off a CAPCOM is because back then Sonic was amazing while now they are just milking him for money and not caring about what the fans want just hoping we'll buy their games so they make money. But I can tell that even if we do get the perfect Sonic game, critics will hate it and people will still bitch and moan about making Sonic 2D again yet still want him around.

PSN ID: DMANSLAND, Wii number: too lazy to look up, Manliness level: GODLY

BBS Signature

Response to What You Want - Sonic The Hedgehog 2009-03-31 20:14:55

I want Sega to just give up before they emberass(sp) themselves anymore.

BBS Signature

Response to What You Want - Sonic The Hedgehog 2009-03-31 20:20:29

well, look how popular the New Super Mario was. please, SEGA, Bring out the New Sonic the Hedgehog.

Response to What You Want - Sonic The Hedgehog 2009-03-31 20:22:01

At 3/31/09 08:20 PM, White-Ferret wrote: well, look how popular the New Super Mario was. please, SEGA, Bring out the New Sonic the Hedgehog.

Trust me, they WILL find a way to fuck it up.

BBS Signature

Response to What You Want - Sonic The Hedgehog 2009-03-31 20:24:51

At 3/31/09 08:22 PM, Yacazuma wrote:
At 3/31/09 08:20 PM, White-Ferret wrote: well, look how popular the New Super Mario was. please, SEGA, Bring out the New Sonic the Hedgehog.
Trust me, they WILL find a way to fuck it up.

They already did. TWICE! Sonic the Hedgehog 06 and the port they made Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis.

PSN ID: DMANSLAND, Wii number: too lazy to look up, Manliness level: GODLY

BBS Signature

Response to What You Want - Sonic The Hedgehog 2009-04-02 09:24:32

At 3/31/09 08:28 AM, The-Great-One wrote: When CAPCOM released a new Mega Man game, they released Mega Man 9 in the good ole' 8-Bit Presentation and people went insane over it.

Is this the same process you want SEGA to go through with Sonic?

HELL YEAH!

If you want to piss about and show off how good your graphics are, then make some FMVs to go along with the game, that's where the beauty of the game comes in with the traditions.

This is also the reason that I'm going to download Sonic on my Wii and why I have bought a copy of Metal Slug Anthology - side scrollers FTW!

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to What You Want - Sonic The Hedgehog 2009-04-02 11:18:56

It ain't ever gonna happen. You can take what you got and deal with it or move on to other ventures. Either way, we're never going back to S3&K.

When all else fails, blame the casuals!

BBS Signature

Response to What You Want - Sonic The Hedgehog 2009-04-02 13:31:37

That would be perfect! Nintendo should do the same thing with Mario and Zelda.

I laugh at your sigs!

Response to What You Want - Sonic The Hedgehog 2009-04-02 13:37:46

I want a 2.5D sonic game, like Street Fighter IV

illicit makes a damn good signature.

BBS Signature

Response to What You Want - Sonic The Hedgehog 2009-04-02 15:10:40

Wow, I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought of this. The game should be called "Sonic the Hedgehog 4", which would be a direct sequel to Sonic & Knuckles and should be completely 16-bit.

The game should have 18 zones each having 3 acts (well most of them". Each act for every zone would have its own music. The first act would have no boss, the second would have a mini-boss, and the third would have Eggman as a boss. The game's character models would be slightly improved over Sonic 3. You get to play as Sonic with Tails, Sonic alone, Tails alone, and Knuckles alone.

The Super Emeralds would also be present (keep in mind that S3&K was what Sonic 3 was originally going to be). If you get all 7 Chaos Emeralds, you get to fight in a space level. If you get all 7 Super Emeralds, you fight in an epic duel with a robot twice your size. Mecha (not Metal) Sonic would also appear near the end of the game.

Lastly, it should be for XBLA, PSN, and Wii Ware.

Response to What You Want - Sonic The Hedgehog 2009-04-02 18:48:59

Yes, this is EXACTLY what i want sega to do. It should have revamped graphics, and the same gameplay as the old sonic games. I would cum buckets if they did this.

PSN ID/Gamertag: KittensWithBeer

BBS Signature

Response to What You Want - Sonic The Hedgehog 2009-04-02 19:29:39

At 3/31/09 09:24 AM, Aci6 wrote: Ever play a PS2 Crash bandicoot game? Imagine those awesome 3D levels that were linear but with two Sonic characters following each other. For example imagine selecting Knuckles and then bashing down a wall, Sonic then grabs him and runs across some water. :

You sound very professional. Do you work for an advertising company by any chance? PM me.

Hayao Miyazaki's greatest works! All in one convienent place. My sig!

BBS Signature

Response to What You Want - Sonic The Hedgehog 2009-04-02 19:56:11

That's not because were nostalgic for the old Sonic in the same way as Megaman.

Recent Megaman outings, such as the Zero and ZX series on the GBA and DS are still good. They stick to the proven forumla of what works.

Similarly, Sonic's GBA and DS outings are pretty decent because they don't fuck too much with the original forumla, the 2D platforming with lots of speed.

The problem with Sonic is, above all else, that he does not work in 3D. He doesn't. Going fast and platforming is too hard when there's 3 dimensions of obstacles to worry about and look out for.

Combined with iffy controls and a camera operated by the mentally retarded and you have a series of games which have convinced me that Sonic works best in 2D. And i'm happy to buy a 2D Sonic game. I've got all of them on the DS and GBA. And i like them all. They could be a wee bit better (Wheres my damn Super Sonic in the levels, and why is it so damn hard to get the emerald's in the first place) but there consistently good while the 3D outings are consistently crap.

Response to What You Want - Sonic The Hedgehog 2009-04-03 07:08:22

At 4/2/09 08:19 PM, dmansland wrote: They aren't ruining the games Sonic Team just can't implement the new elements they put in well, it's an interesting idea but when it comes down they mess it up in someway.

I'm impressed, you actually breathed intelligence in that little post, kudos.

SMBS, you really need to calm down.
No one takes a short fuse seriously on NG.
Take a breath, and state your argument with sound reason.

what happened to this place?

Latest Blog: Chaos Sonic Ch 3 Update.

BBS Signature

Response to What You Want - Sonic The Hedgehog 2009-04-03 10:17:45

I want a Sonic game that plays good so give me Secret Rings, Black Knight, Unleashed and anything else that involves Sonic and Sonic only.

BBS Signature

Response to What You Want - Sonic The Hedgehog 2009-04-03 10:57:30

I either want Sonic to die or to make a Sonic Adventure 3, they can't pull it off in 3D like Mario can.

さあ時の扉を開けて行こうよ

BBS Signature